441 W 5th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fatptarmigan.com/
- Phone: 9077777710
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Guy Conley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
A word from Fat Ptarmigan
Artisianal, wood-fired, hand-made pizza, set in an inviting, rustic environment with an emphasis on fresh ingredients, local draft beers and excellent serviceContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Fat Ptarmigan - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Fat Ptarmigan reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (15)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (14)special occasion (5)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We had been excited to try Fat Ptarmigan and finally had a chance to go last weekend. Good: Space was light and open. Location is good for pedestrians (although parking is tricky). My kids liked the cheese pizza. Good beer list. Good spinach salad. The bad: Really loud. The service wasn't so good. We checked in at our res time. Told our table was just being bussed, we'd be seated shortly. 10 minutes pass, we knew there was no table. Finally a party by the front door left and we were seated there. Hostess gave my kids each 1 crayon, said she'd bring more but didn't. Need more kid-friendly drinks. Chicken pizza was just okay. After dinner saw they had called my cell phone 2 times and then reported to Open Table that we were a no show.
- Great place to meet with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Had a fairly early dinner so it was nice and quiet but later got a lil noisy but nothing out of the ordinary. Awesome mozzarella knots. Previously tried Caprese salad - good but knots are tastier. Recommended pizzas are salmon and the mushroom. Had gyro version, good but will stick to sandwich versions. They do half and half for those sharing but want to try more than one type on menu.Special Features:
- Great pizza!luvvegasDined on 8/12/2014Delicious pizza. Many varieties, not the usual kinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring, run of the millWonderfulVIPDined on 8/10/2014As an Anchorage resident it's always nice when a local place opens. This is my third visit, I wanted to give them an opportunity to work out the "kinks" of a new place. There is just nothing special about this place, the pizzas don't have flavor, appetizers are boring and predictable. Service is marginal so I most likely won't be back.
- Great Food; Too LoudandyjmewDined on 8/9/2014I was really impressed by FP's unique pizza selection, and I thought that what was offered on the menu, and what I received on my table, was top notch cuisine. The menu managed a solid blend of global influence and local Alaskana. That being said, I found the atmosphere to be cold, and rather austere. The cavernous/minimalist approach to decor made conversation difficult, as one had to compete against the cacophony of one's neighbors, with little help from the stainless steel fixtures and concrete construction. I highly recommend this venue if one is wishing to drown out the banality of one's dining party with an interesting and exciting approach to local artisanal pizzas.Special Features:
- Good Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We thought the pizza was great. Service was good after a long pause when first seated but I am thinking that was not the usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time around satisfiesYummyVIPDined on 7/24/2014First time I went to Fat Ptarmigan, the pizza was undercooked and soggy. This time it was perfect! Very delicious. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent DiningHoleinthewallDined on 7/20/2014The food was good, but not as good as I've heard it to be. Good service, the waiter was friendly and attentive. The atmosphere was great. The only negative thing was that it was really loud. Great place to grab a quick lunch with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pizzalesleyDined on 6/27/2014Love their creative and delicious pizza choices. It was busy but we didn't have to wait long for our foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, every time.KneecoalasDined on 6/13/2014My wife and I frequently visit Far Ptarm, typically once a week and every meal we have ever had here is top notch. Most noteworthy is of course their pizza - try a Build Your Own with only fresh mozzarella and garlic olive oil base; however, their new addition - The Italian Chicken Sandwich is amazingly delicious. Also, try the spinach dip, very well done dish like everything here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deelish!!BowlersbusDined on 6/5/2014Unusual combinations for Pizzas - Steak & Stilton is my fav. You could go and make a meal out of the apps. I'm in love with the Olive Tapenade & Mozz Knots. Just do it- you won't regret it by any means.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serenityDined on 6/4/2014We made reservations and when we got there, we were seated by nice, friendly staff. Our waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and really attentive. We never had to ask for a drink refill and our food was brought out nice and hot. Overall, it was a great date night place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time was had by allAnneDined on 6/1/2014We had a wonderful group dinner while at a conference in Anchorage. Fat Ptarmigan was recommended by a friend who lives in Anchorage. Food was exceptional and the service was attentive and patient. I highly recommend the pizza. I am a bit of a pizza snob and they did not disappoint. They also have a strong wine list that thoughtfully supports the menu. Also appreciated was that they did not have loud music playing, we could talk without it becoming a shouting match with the music.Special Features:
- The following 60 reviews are from the Fat Ptarmigan reviews archive.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Best pizza in town hands down. Very reasonably priced and food came quickly. Staff was very laid back and excellent at their jobs! Would return here any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good findAlaskiniDined on 5/18/2014We don't get downtown all that often, but had occasion to lunch at The Fat P two days last week. Excellent location for downtown locals & visitors, only steps from the Egan Convention Center & the PAC. We sampled the Gyro, Muffaletta, & Meatball sandwiches, Pasta Salad, and Gelatto. We enjoyed them all, with the exception of the Gyro. Very little sauce, rather bland taste, & onions (typically raw on gyros) were cooked to clear limpness. That said, everything else was quite good. Staff attentive and friendly; dining area clean, uncluttered to the point of minimalism, & surprisingly quiet; food served quickly; restrooms roomy, clean, & understated. We'll definitely visit again, & recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Great serviceWelovefoodDined on 5/10/2014Great service, great food. We will defiantly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid back style with good food.akgourmandDined on 5/7/2014Very friendly and efficient servers with good food--a nice place for a casual meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014Great pizza and salads. Although limited list….very good wine selection.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious new kid on the blockBowlersbusDined on 5/3/2014Food was delicious, and affordable. Great beer / wine selection . Would eat here every day if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the show at Fat Ptarmigan!LuvThePACDined on 5/3/2014Fun and exotic pizzas, salads, wines and beers for the casual diner in the heart of downtown one block from the Performing Arts Center. Perfect for a quick dinner before the show!Special Features:
- Food is loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014My date and I had a great time. Let's just say later that night we played a bit of horizontal sex. If you know what I mean....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boddhiDined on 5/2/2014Not a very vegetarian friendly restaurant - especially the salads. The service was quite slow. The tables were covered with paper that curled up at the edges - not sure what kind of an atmosphere they were trying to convey. The pizzas were good; overall a decent experience.Special Features:
- Always Awesome!FeedmeDined on 5/2/2014We have been several times since their opening this year(I think four, maybe five) and everything has been consistently excellent. The menu is diverse enough (but not huge and overwhelming) so that even the gluten-challenged have a tasty pizza option, and the salads and amazing fresh mozzarella are perfect opening courses. The pizza is the appropriate and deserving star, with sandwiches I've heard are great, I've just not made it through all the pizza options yet. Finish it off with dessert and coffee, or another tasty, local brew, and start planning your next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will go backworkingpersonDined on 4/25/2014good, fast and great service also very friendly love the different type of pizzasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free PizzaMoniDined on 4/14/2014In addition to having gluten free pizza, they had several gluten free appetizers which was SO nice. (The mozzarella knots were awesome)Special Features:
- Great new option in Anchorage!MichaelDined on 4/12/2014Fat Ptarmigan takes you to another place. The decor, atmosphere, and ambiance are a very welcome new option for Anchorage. It feels very Pacific NW, with a bit of industrial, neo/retro vibe. Definitely one of the best designed restaurants in town. The pizzas are very good, the best I've had in Anchorage, and at pretty reasonable prices. They have a decent selection of local beers, but drink prices are out of control. Far too expensive. This is a very cool addition to Anchorage's food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza!KL51113Dined on 4/11/2014The pizza was so good. Our whole group was overly impressed and we ate both pizzas we ordered comepletely! The appetizers were really good we had the cheese knots and artichoke dip which both were fantastic and not overly priced, they were also the perfect size for an appetizer. Our waitress was very nice and friendly as well as attentive and kept our glasses full and made sure we were well taken care of. Really the only bad thing is finding parking. We will be going back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A group of three came hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/7/2014A group of three came here for a birthday dinner. We had great service, great food, good beer selection and nice size portions. I was pretty happy with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday DelightCaryDined on 4/5/2014Met a friend for an afternoon lunch and enjoyed a fabulous meatball sandwich and salad. It was my first time at Fat Ptarmigan and will go again. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKLadiesWhoLunchDined on 3/31/2014It was fine. The pizza was good with crispy crust, the salad was bland but fresh, the service was fine. Nothing remarkable but nothing bad to say either.Special Features:
- Not impressedYummyVIPDined on 3/30/2014Friends have raved about their pizzas. So I ordered a pizza. The pizza was bland and the entire entire of the pizza wasn't cooked. The crust was still dough. I understand that the place was busy, but that doesn't mean rush the food and delivery uncooked food. Not impressed. Won't recommend to my friends.Special Features:
- Delicious wood fired pizza,BrianWVIPDined on 3/29/2014Delicious wood fired pizza, not your out of the box Pizza. Open your mind and taste buds, this pizza will knock your socks off!Special Features:
- Pretty underwhelming.NogoodatusernamesDined on 3/24/2014After hearing great reviews from a number of people I was excited to try it out. We started with the olive tapenade, which was pretty good. The duck pizza was just barely passable though. There was maybe a bite or two that I actually picked up the flavor of the duck. The crust was pretty horrible. The edge was burnt and the middle was wet and sloppy. The BOH should also look into cleaning the ash from the stone before putting a new pizza in. The grilled onions were past their prime and should have replaced a few days before we ate. They were bland and soggy. The fresh greens on top did a good job of hiding the embarrassing ingredients underneath. The service was good, but in all honesty a second trip to this restaurant is highly unlikely.
- AwesomeClf907AKDined on 3/16/2014Great place to go! Loved it all!! Will be going back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza was great. Menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014Pizza was great. Menu was great. Restaurant looks really good inside. Service was okay. The desserts are a mess. Our server said that he could not recommend the gelato, so I ordered tiramisu. It was awful. It had the texture of sand. They should get a pastry chef. The pizza is excellent though and they have a good wine list.
- untrained hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2014I made a reservation for 4 people at 5:15PM one evening. Arrived at 5:00PM and notified the hostess. The whole restaurant was pretty empty except for couple tables being occupied. The hostess asked me to have a seat at the bar and wait since my table is being used. Since i'm early for my reservation, I waited. I noticed every parties came into the restaurant were being seated. I waited until 5:30PM then asked the hostess exactly which table was mine, and she pointed to a table which the party wasn't even served the dinner yet. I had to tell her to seat me in the open tables or else I need to talk to a manager. Finally we got seated. The party in my designated table didn't leave until 6:30PM. What an untrained hostess
- Great PlaceRS88Dined on 3/7/2014Awesome place. Love that its not a chain. Service was outstanding. Food was delicious.Menu is small but whats on it is great.Something for everyone. Make sure you ask to have the pizza cut into wedges like normal. Otherwise they cut it funny.Special Features:
- Food better than expectedFoodieDined on 3/7/2014Soup salad combo serving size small yet very tasty. Pizza delish! Would Recommend with highlights of being short walk to PAC, parking a pain, and the Noise level high. Hard to have a conversation. Great for teams or after event gatherings More the okay on food! Service staff nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable downtown spotneqsurtaDined on 3/6/2014We've dined here several times and for a salad, pizza, and beer its been perfect. Steam Dot coffee! Great location relative to PAC. Great attentive, friendly staff . Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pros and consEnjoyableDined on 3/1/2014We went during the Iditarod weekend so we expected busy but our waiter kind of blew us off. My friends wanted a 2nd glass of wine and he never came back to ask - when he finally came it was too late and instead if apologizing he told us to look around how busy it was and made excuses. I have been before do I know on a regular night I have had much better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.