187 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5L 1G5Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ContinentalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://farnienterestaurant.com/
- Phone: (416) 214-9922
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Friday: 5:00pm –9:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Jun Geem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Far Niente is an award-winning, fine dining restaurant located at the corner of Bay and Wellington Streets in the heart of Toronto’s financial district.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Brenner 6476327556x
A word from Far Niente
Located in Toronto's energetic Financial District, Far Niente features an atmosphere of relaxed elegance and style with an impressive blend of open space dining that also offers easy intimacy. Executive Chef Jun Geem's vibrant New World-inspired cuisine presents a blend of seasonal artisan products, intense flavors, and stunning presentations. Far Niente offers professional, gracious service that accommodates every guest's need. Far Niente has once again been acclaimed as one of the Distinguished Restaurants of North America (DiRoNa). Far Niente offers complimentary parking after 5:30pm at Commerce Court, and is centrally located to all financial, theatre and concert centres.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Far Niente - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Far Niente reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)good for groups (20)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (8)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Service stood outBusinessluncherDined on 11/13/2014Great food served by talented staff. Will definitely return and recommend. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client lunch venuefoodfanDined on 11/10/2014Convenient location and excellent food for client lunches.Special Features:
- Daily Fish Special was dryCalabiyauDined on 11/10/2014I think it was Cod. It was crusted and very, very dry. Not that great a choice on my part.
- Always excellent!SamuelDined on 11/3/2014Far Niente remains true to itself and offers a great atmoshere and excellent cuisine.Special Features:
- Great serviceal927Dined on 10/27/2014Our server was excellent and he attended to all our special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Service was excellent from the time you walk in the door making us feel special. All the staff were very friendly, always smiling and seemed to genuinely love their job. Lucy, our waitress, was very efficient and made very good recommendations for drinks. We all enjoyed our meal and parking was free after 5PM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, inviting atmosphereFoodLoveLifeDined on 10/21/2014We had lentil soup and halibut for dinner which was delicious! The wine list is good, although sparkling options are limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business restaurantSmartAlecDined on 10/21/2014Table size allows you to present material while enjoying lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well RunEadzieDined on 10/9/2014This place is very busy and it is a very large restaurant and the crush of diners for lunch is big. Despite that, we had great service (food was remarkably well timed) and the food was prepared perfectlySpecial Features:
- awesomeMattDined on 10/7/2014Experience and food was pretty good..would definitely recommend others to come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceFoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014Far Niente was a good choice for our purposes, we needed a quiet place and there was only one other group in the place, I dont know if its busier for the lunch crowd. The service was excellent. The food was fair to very good. My husband had the duck and thought it was just ok. I had the special which was char, which was very tasty cooked perfectly with the combination of the sides it was very good. I would give it a try again.
- Dinner after the theatreLuv2dineoutDined on 9/24/2014This is my second time dining at Far Niente. The food and service are excellent. My husband tried the duck and he was very pleased. I love the fingerling potatoes. The restaurant is quiet enough to have a conversation and the ambiance is very calming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 729 reviews are from the Far Niente reviews archive.
- Not what I expectedSuzeAtWorkDined on 7/22/2014We have had business lunches at Far Niente in the past and found it to be quite good. This time, however, I was very disappointed. The cobb salad - was not at all what I expected. It consisted of mostly iceberg lettuce drowning in dressing with a small representation of other ingredients normally in cobb salad. The glazed halibut was difficult to eat due to the cut of the vegetables. Our waiter offered our table water and then didn't return to take another order for drinks. I expected an opportunity to order something in addition to water. Overall, the restaurant is pleasant - it was easy to carry on a conversation, even as the room filled with people. Perhaps different menu choices would improve the experience.
- Great Atmosphere, Okay Foodyoyoyo111Dined on 7/18/2014I wouldn't come back here unless it was on a corporate account. I ordered Asian Pear Salad and it tasted like glorified coleslaw. The desert tasted curdled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingenjoythemomentVIPDined on 7/18/2014Went there for winterlicious & summerlicious events and each time the food is superb... from starter to main course to dessert.Special Features:
- Spectacular dining experience!foodiefanDined on 7/17/2014The guest service experience was phenomenal by all staff acknowledging, chatting and smiling with us, which I appreciated the warm welcoming attitude from. The menu selections were delicious, authentic and very unique. I was actually surprised by the delivery of the ingredients used in my meal selection, it was a mouthful of exotic and spicy flavors. Vivek, our server recommended some great wine suggestions which topped our dine and wine pairing even more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Very expensive. Great presentation but food is a bit too greasy for my taste.
- food was deliciouslex1nguy3n6984Dined on 7/16/2014Everything was great! Food was phenomenal however service could have been a bit better.Special Features:
- Food is great, but a little crowdedFoodieAtYorkvilleVIPDined on 7/16/2014Food recommendation: chilled soup, quinoa salmon, chocolate mousse (don't really like the steak, too thick for a Korean BBQ) A bit crowded, tables are too close to each other so we can always overhear from others...Special Features:
- ImpressedDined on 7/15/2014Far Niente was great! The customer service was excellent. My friend and I had a most enjoyable evening. Thank You Far Niente!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceSarahDined on 7/15/2014Food was delicious. I usually don't like steak too rare and it was just right! Not medium, but not too rare! My water glass was never empty. They were so on top of refilling it! Only downside was it took awhile for our entree to arrive, but maybe because it was summerlicious or maybe we should have let them know we only had an hour versus an hour and a half. Nice staff, delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allergies...no problemDane2eatDined on 7/14/2014My cousin is allergic to Dairy/Nuts/Eggs, we were there for Summerlicious with a set menu and substitutions would normally be extra charged. They gladly accommodated her menu!Special Features:
- Great service and FoodConsumedwithrelishDined on 7/14/2014Went here for lunch with co-workers. Had a delicious meal with great service. Food is traditional with inventive elements. The dessert I ordered was not my favourite, but I'm thinking that was a personal taste thing and not the dessert itself!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big expectations, big letdownVeeGeeDined on 7/14/2014We went here for Summerlicious. The starters were great. The main (vegetable pad thai) was a let down for such a high end restaurant. The rice noodles were overcooked, the sauce was watery and lacked flavour and the vegetables were overcooked and chewy. For dessert I got the peach upside down cake with salted caramel sauce. It looked and sounded amazing, but tasted dry and lacked a real "peachy" flavour. Overall, I would not come back to this restaurant. With such a large bill coming at the end, you'd expect much better food. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!FoodieDined on 7/11/2014Wow! Went there for Summerlicious. The quinoa crusted salmon was phenomenal. The appetizer and dessert were amazing, too.Special Features:
- SummerliciousFoodie1Dined on 7/11/2014Had dinner and overall food and service was great! The Asian salad was very nice and the Korean BBQ steak tasted nice as well,no issue. My friend enjoyed the seafood/salad appetizer and quinoa salmon which she enjoyed as well. Great to be able to experience it through summerlicious, would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd week at Far NienteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014It is our second week here for Summerlicious, food was great, very attentive service. We requested that we only have 1 hour to spare for lunch and they got us covered!!!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience!Audreyh19Dined on 7/10/2014Great meal here; - cocktails to start (dark & stormy- spiced rum, ginger beer and lime) delicious and full of flavour and some pre-appetizer munchies; A huge bowl of warm olives with roasted lemon rind along with edamame dressed in butter, citrus and sesame seeds. Note that anything under "pre-appetizer" is designed to share with many people- not just two. We ordered off of the regular menu despite it being summerlicious as some items caught our eye. I had scallops- OK- and capellini with shrimp for main- good, but too salty & my husband had lamb pogos to start- great- but so many! And tuna as main- perfect. Great selection of wine, beer and scotch. Dessert menu looked good, but we were full! Excellent service- all male staff were attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food/great serviceFoodJunkieDined on 7/9/2014Had lunch here recently from the Summerlicious menu. It was great value and very original and delicious dishes. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- summerlicious lunchfoodiegoodieDined on 7/9/2014went for summerlicious...service was great...food was good...the only miss i'd say was the korean bbq steak (meat was tough as per my friend)....other than that, had a great dining experience, would come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner1Dined on 7/9/2014The food was really good. Desserts and starters can be improved. The quinoa crusted Salmon is excellent
- Delicious mealFoodieDined on 7/8/2014Went last week with my daughter and ordered from the Summerlicious menu. The Asian salad was really nice and the quinoa crusted salmon was superb. Big portion sizes. Would definitely return to this restaurant and would also recommend to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014As always had a great meal at Far Niente. Food was very good but the service was just adequate this time (usually very good)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDS2Dined on 7/4/2014Suggest to indicate the level of hot/spicy beside the course in the menu Coffee could have been better; very blend; no taste of coffeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under-whelmedarmchairgourmetDined on 7/2/2014For being located in the high rent district of TO you would think the owners would put every effort into delivering on the dinning experience. Not so. I had a business meeting with three others - when we walked in two things struck you - the over powering smell of bad seafood and how hot am humid it was inside - bad combo! Food was at best passable but certainly nothing worth going back for. My chicken dish with Indian spices was ok but the rice mush and pickled cauliflower were simply horrible. Come to think of it maybe this is why the place was almost completely empty. truly disappointing experience.
- Nice ambience, good foodReneDined on 6/23/2014I've been to Far Niente several times and each time has been a pleasant experience. The food is good and sometimes inspired. It's a nice place to go for an enjoyable, not-too-expensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceFoodforthoughtDined on 6/11/2014Our waiters forgot we were on the planet. While the food was very good the service was very bad
- Dinner with FriendsLuv2dineoutDined on 6/6/2014Went with a group of friends from work and we had a wonderful time. The restaurant was quiet and we were able to have a conversation with everyone at the table. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and the menu was was varied enough so all of our group found something on the menu to fit their tastes. We all enjoyed the food we ordered from the main to the dessert. We did not feel rushed by the wait staff and we lingered over our coffee and dessert talking away as some of us had not seen each other for quite some time. The restaurant was in the perfect location for those travelling by Go bus or TTC. We will definitely have our next group dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They looked after me and my ClientShadymanDined on 5/26/2014Had a tight deadline and the place was busy but they looked after us and got us out after an excellent mealSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014We had fish and chips.The batter you use is very heavy.Can it be thinned out -perhaps with beer?