120 Essex Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.essexnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125339616x
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Monday - Wednesday 5pm-11pm, Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm-11:30pm, Saturday: 6:45pm-midnight, Sunday 6pm-10:30pm
BRUNCH: Saturday: 11:00am-4:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am-8:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adan Cortes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday- DJ Eric Visa
Saturday - DJ Mike Dominico
A word from Essex
Located in the historic Essex Street Market Building, Essex is a loft-like multi-level space with contemporary cuisine inspired by the flavors of the Lower East Side. Essex is known for its weekday dinner and happy hour specials as well as its lively weekend dinner and bar scene. The weekend brunch is a New York institution and is always a top pick on Open Table Diner’s Choice and other sites. The expansive layout allows for intimate balcony and banquette seating as well as festive group dining and private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFusion / Eclectic
Essex reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (89)good for groups (78)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (36)neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (33)great for lunch (21)special occasion (21)late-night find (18)romantic (10)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Double DateLLum83VIPDined on 9/13/2014We went to ESSEX for dinner, it was great! The food was prepared with care, the cocktails were delicious and our server was fantastic! all in all a GREAT experience! would highly recommend the mussels, slider, steak and scallops! OH! peanut butter PIE is to DIE for!Special Features:
- Fun, hip, youngcozmDined on 9/11/2014Although I usually am one of the older people at the restaurant, I like the tall ceilings; half price drinks during happy hour; delicious potato pancakes, vegetarian risotto, ceviche, and crabcakes. The service is attentive without being in your face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday VenueahnthepianoDined on 9/6/2014Our server was phenomenal and very patient with a large group of 15 people. Thank you so much for making my birthday a wonderful occasion!Special Features:
- Could be betterBlahDined on 8/31/2014I think the waiter was more hungover than us! He was super slow (and we were the first ones in the restaurant...) and very unprofessional, even asking us at one point to "send a message to the hostess", which was a flirty line. We got there at 11am on Sunday and found out we couldn't get the 3 drinks included in the brunch special because the law prohibits alcohol to be served before noon...but they didn't change the price of the menu to reflect that. Poorly done. The food took 45 mins to arrive and once again, we were the first ones to arrive. It took 10 mins for a coffee refill. Oh And when we arrived, the hostess was eating out of one of the food bins! We hope it wasn't the bin they were serving :( very bad service. Food mediocre.Special Features:
- Great brunch menushay718Dined on 8/30/2014I ordered Lobster Eggs Benedict which came out amazing. Plus with three mimosas the price was great. However, my server gave the impression that he did not want to serve us. His introduction was more like "Are you ready to order" instead of "Hello mine name is ...any questions? " .Maybe he was overworked that day who knows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time and the food still sucksFooooodVIPDined on 8/28/2014The good here is terrible- either the ahi tuna smells fishy, the scallops are too buttery or the shrimp on the salad is too salty... The only thing that keeps me coming back are the amazing drinks during the awesome happy hour 1/2 off -- the blood orange margharita is to die for... Oh and Mo the waiter it really nice and patient as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LES funt182288VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had a good time at Essex; the crowd was ready to party and you cannot really beat a $23.00 brunch deal with three drinks. Mimosas were strong and food was nice, however, they were clearly trying to turn tables. We would stayed and ordered several more drinks if our waitress wasn't hovering. Nonetheless, they accommodated our reservation right away. It is a beautiful restaurant and definitely worth tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a celebrationBeccaDined on 8/24/2014Good service, good food, and endless drinks! What else do you need?Special Features:
- Awesome Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I've been here multiple times for brunch and every time I go I love this place more. The atmosphere is great and the food is awesome. The cost is very reasonable for brunch in NYC. I would highly recommend Essex. Just be sure to make a reservation and be prepared for a little wait even with a reservation.Special Features:
- Love this place every timeNotAFoodieButIPlayOneOnTVDined on 8/18/2014Happy hour is a great deal if you like Oysters or mixed drinks (or both!). Service was smooth, but started to fall off as the 7:30 dinner crowd started to roll in and things began to fill up. As always, the food was fantastic (scallops, pork belly tacos, mac 'n' cheese), and the oysters were prepared very well. Drinks we tasty but the bar ran out of watermelon for the martinis really early in the night (we left at 8pm, so not exactly well prepared, especially when the Essex market was open next door). Just be ready for some noise, because the place is deservedly popular!Special Features:
- Great!KbdayDined on 8/16/2014Came here for brunch with a few friends and we all loved it! The food was great and the service was awesome. The ongoing mimosas didnt hurt either. Definitely plan on coming here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hourfood4steveDined on 8/14/2014We came for happy hour. The host and waiter were both very up beat and attentive. The only thing I questioned was the freshness of the oysters. Everything else was perfect. I would come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OYSTERS $1 Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014AMAZING SERVICE & OYSTERS Con: Some Oysters had a lot of sandSpecial Features:
- OysterluvDined on 8/11/2014I love going to essex for the $1 oyster happy hour and half price drinks. The staff are always very attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch dealGaryVIPDined on 8/10/2014The brunch was a very good deal - the menu is extensive and varied and three drinks are included for less than $25 pp. Moreover everyone in our group of 4 really like the food. We had Mexican and Vegan Matzoh brie as well as pancakes. It has downtown NY atmosphere and crowd and noise level as well but it was energetic, but not too loud for older people like ourselves.Special Features:
- Fantastic BrunchMikelikestoeatDined on 8/10/2014The food was amazing, the service was none stop, and the afternoon was a blast. My friends and I had an excellent time.Special Features:
- Energetic, livelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014Very good spot for dinner and drinks. Ambience really energetic and lively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Happy HourNorsemanDined on 8/7/2014We went for the happy hour oysters but also enjoyed the salmon with caviar. Both were fantastic. The service was friendly and fast. I would return to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- MimiDined on 8/4/2014Our server was very attentive. A friend and I went for appetizers and drinks. The short rib sliders were excellent ans so was the Rose'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/3/2014My only complaint was we waited about 30 minutes after we already had a reservation. Once we were seated the service and food were greatSpecial Features:
- EaterOuterDined on 8/3/2014I went for brunch. The environment was very lively and the servers kept my mimosa filled. On the menu it says you only get 3 drinks with your meal for about $23, but i had 6 or 7 for know additional charge. Basically as long as your eating they will continue to pour with out you needing to ask. They food was ok; I really came here for the boozy brunch. I would definitely recommend this place for a lively group that wants to have fun upbeat brunch.Special Features:
- screwed up reservationAverageNewYorkerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Checked in and waited 30 minutes before leaving. And my friend and I were not the only ones stuck like that. Another group at the bar had already been waiting 30 minutes, and they had a reservation as well. All around were people waiting at the bar, and to make it worse, the noise level was like a club at 2am. You had to shout to be heard. Horrible. Will never go back.
- Very nice placeBabsnycDined on 8/1/2014I came to Essex with a group of girlfriends for the oysters happy hour. Oysters were very good, we had a great time, very nice service as well. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LES Brunch SpotSophieDined on 7/27/2014We had a party of six that wasn't punctual--we had to wait for our party to arrive but the hostess was not pushy or rude about it. All the wait staff was attentive and efficient, especially with refilling bottomless mimosas. The food selection was perfect for brunch, ranging from Eggs Benedict to pancakes, to burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome drinksWinetasterDined on 7/24/2014Must say the mussels, fries and drinks are amazing.....would def go back and booking with opentable was a click on the computer, fast and convenient.Special Features:
- Great apps and drinksPartyof4Dined on 7/23/2014Good deals and great atmosphere. My second time here, loved it more than the first. Tasty menu and pleasant staff. Will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Essex Street is one NYC great findsZizzymacDined on 7/23/2014Essex restaurant did it again, Two of our diners, visited Essex for the first time and loved the food, drinks and ambiance.Special Features:
- Great food, AWFUL servicemmreigleDined on 7/20/2014Ambiance is great, but with the crowds and the sun it gets very hot. I had a reservation for 3, and we ordered our food and the 3 drinks that come along with it. Our drinks were filled when they were 1/3 full which made us feel like we didn't get our moneys worth. We got the check, 1 paid with cash and 2 with card. He (waiter with a mohawk) came back with the check and made sure to tell us that "the person who paid cash only gave me a 25 cent tip." Okay dude, calm down. That was going to come later, now it will be less. He then gave us tickets to enjoy a free drink downstairs at the bar. We continued talking, and he came back and cleared our table and told us that "it's time for us to leave" when we weren't even there for an hour. AWFULLLLL
- Great "it" spot in LES.TaoNYCDined on 7/20/2014New friend in town. Wanted at 25-35 Age scene. Hip. Young. Stylish. Good food. Boozy Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Group BrunchAnchorsAwayDined on 7/20/2014Great place for brunch, especially because you can make a reservation. 7 of us went - the food was great, service was quick, highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great happy hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014half-off drinks for happy hour! appetizers were amazing and better than the entrees!Special Features:
- Happy with Happy HoiurOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014Great deal on dollar oysters. We shared an entree and it was delicious. Half price drinks packed a punch and not to the wallet. A great place for Happy Hour and Brunch.Special Features:
- Happy HourLibbyltVIPDined on 7/9/2014This time we made it to their Happy Hour. $1 Blue Point oysters, 1/2 off drinks , and Wednesday's lobster special. Everything is absolutely delicious. Staff is attentive and supper nice. Will come back soon if not next week :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fixed brunch menu offputtinggroupoffriendsDined on 7/6/2014also，waitress tried to sit the.group of us at the bar wnen we had a reservation. cash payment also is.werid.Special Features:
- $1 oysters and half off cocktails!LexidocVIPDined on 6/30/2014We love Essex for the party like atmosphere and the can't be beat $1 oysters and delicious cocktails at half price during the generous happy hour. We make a meal of oysters and an assortment of the very good appetizers/small plates, which in general are more satisfying than the entrees. The crab cakes, mussels, ceviche, kale salad, etc are always good. And if you like lobster, the Wed night lobster special is great!Special Features:
- Cool resto in cool lower East SideStephenDined on 6/30/2014Good food, good service (at least before crowds arrived) in coolest part of Lower East Side. Restaurant separate from bar which was jammed when we finished relatively early dinner. Noise set to begin as we left. Also, be sure to check out Essex Market - the restaurant occupies the northern end of the revived market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jeffreyt1569Dined on 6/29/2014Our server Salome was fantastic and on the ball at aleast timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong with Essex!TCadronVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had a fantastic Sunday brunch! Service was great! Drinks were top quality! Food was worth coming back for again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't goTdocDined on 6/29/2014Loud, obnoxious, rude, greasy, loud, over-hyped, loud.
- Brunch at EssexRaiderDined on 6/29/2014Great food and fun atmosphere. I mean REALLY great food! This is a jewel in an interesting neighborhood. The only downside - it's a little loud when the place is full - it became difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.