3710 Junction St
Detroit, MI 48210Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://upbizbiz.wix.com/el-barzon#!
- Phone: 3138942070x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - closed
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm-9:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Norberto Garita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from El Barzon
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
El Barzon - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
El Barzon reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (31)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (26)romantic (24)hot spot (16)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- My absolute favorite gourmet diningLisaRDined on 9/6/2014I highly recommend if you are looking to impress your significant other. Definitely a five star restaurant with fabulous preparation and presentation. Great for a romantic evening or celebrating with family or friends. All appetizers are exquisite, especially the Italian sausage and peppers or the lightly fried calamari. Their veal and sauce are prepared from scratch never pre made, so you will be delighted with all of their tasty delicious preparations. In summation, a true five star restaurant that's earned its own galaxy. We enjoy El Barzon so much we booked for Friday and Saturday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodBlondbearDined on 8/30/2014Confusion about our reservation and couple joining us left standing at the door for 10 minutes after we arrived. The Tanqueray martini my husband and I ordered arrived with cheap bar gin. This was quite a surprise as we have had properly prepared drinks on other occasions. Sent them back and they arrived correctly. I don't drink a lot and am very aware of tastes. I had the chile relleno appetizer which was excellent. My entree was the cavatelli and it too was excellent. Husband had the fettucine bolonese and commented that the pasta was over cooked. He has had that there before and was disappointed. All in all things seemed a little off for the whole evening. I will give them a pass this time as I have loved el Barzon in the pastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite placeDatenightDined on 8/29/2014We have recently rediscovered El Barzons - primarily because of its outdoor dining. Beautiful space, cool music and outstanding food and drinks. You can always get something different to eat. Eddie is the manager - always friendly, gives great recommendations when solicited and even provides samples of wine before you order a glass or bottle. Caesar is our favorite waiter: attentive but not instructive, provides great recommendations when asked. Always friendly with appropriates sense of professionalism. We recommend El Barzons to everyone, as recently as yesterday to our niece that was searching for a rehearsal dinner location. Very cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They manage Two Great Menus!Madbrew61Dined on 8/26/2014Outstanding food. Our table for four was split on the menu between fare. We had Mexican and Italian appetizers. One of us had a fantastic Italian veal dish, I had enchiladas, My wife had scampi, and the last of us had a scampi, Mexican fusion dish that was outstanding.Special Features:
- nancatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We just love this restaurant. Great food!!! It is always difficult to choose between Mexican and Italian. They are both so good. It is so pleasant to eat in the outdoor patio. Wish it could stay open all year.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceLisaRDined on 8/21/2014No matter what you order you will not be disappointed. The veal piccata is truly the best I have ever tasted. For $22.00 you receive delectable veal, cheesy potato, and vegetable. A great value for veal. The appetizers are phenomenal. We had the Italian sausage and peppers which I could have made a meal. We also had fresh calamari and shrimp with the best sauce in the world. The fried calamari is light and sweet. This is my 3rd time in two weeks. I highly recommend the Chefs special of a stuffed poblano pepper. This dish is truly delectable. A large stuffed poblano with meat, and fruit. The pecan sauce is creamy and crunchy topped with fresh pomegranate. All this is prepared in layers for the most delicious explosion of flavor. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationJohnsonVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our son wanted to celebrate his 24th birthday at El Barzon and they didn't disappoint! As always, the food was amazing, fine dining at its best. We were a party of 6 and half chose Italian and half chose Mexican. I cannot stress enough how good the food is - - - I could eat there every night. We had a great time - our service was fantastic with Salvador - and Eddie, the manager, always checks in to make sure everything is perfect. They even brought our son a fabulous dessert for his birthday, beautiful presentation. Again, we had a fantastic time with great food and great service - El Barzon aims to please.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!JohnsonVIPDined on 8/14/2014Our party of five dined on a Thursday evening - we chose to eat inside. Food was amazing (again!) and our service was great. Merced did a great job - - she took our orders without writing a single thing down and got it 100% correct! Another great El Barzon experience!!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceJimTDined on 8/9/2014Not sure why they chose this largely abandoned and run-down area, but they've clearly invested heavily in a wonderful upscale restaurant that will hopefully be another seed planted for the revival of this neighborhood. Great food, good service, lovely atmosphere. Secure monitored parking out back right off the beautiful outdoor dining section. Very loud outside. A bit better inside.Special Features:
- cool placeGrazieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We love the patio on a summer night but I wish they could do something to absorb the talking/noise.Special Features:
- A Diamond in the Rough!MaggieDined on 8/7/2014Wonderful patio area, great food, excellent service! Neighborhood is a little run down but this place isn't! Never fails!Special Features:
- UNHAPPYINTHISRESTAURANTDined on 8/1/2014After 2 hours ( Friday night with reservations) My food was cold his was steaming Hot.... Service slow very SLUGGISH... Drinks very slow taking our order... I recommend a emergency Manager.... to do a uhaul on this Restaurant.. to help get the people in and out faster.
- Very impressiveMaggieDined on 7/29/2014Since my last visit, they have added the most beautiful patio/bar in all Detroit! The food is incredible, the service impeccable, the patio atmosphere out of this world! The neighborhood is not the greatest but you can now drive around back to the guarded gated area and slip right into the patio area. Everything about this visit was fabulous! Tried the cucumber/cilantro margarita, the guacamole is the best ever, and the chips and salsa perfecto! This visit had chili rellanos and tacos which were out of this world! A great find and neighborhood gem for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner with friendswaveplayerDined on 7/11/2014Had a great dinner with great service. Mentioned that it was the eve before my husband's birthday and our wonderful server served a incredible flan w/Happy Early Birthday on the plate. It is always special when we eat at El Barzon. Our friends who ate there for the first time will also be back. Loved the sangria platter too!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great AtmosphereliveforthenowDined on 7/11/2014Great Italian & Mexican cuisine alike; the only downfall was choosing only one entrée. Outdoor patio was very elegant with a relaxing flare.Special Features:
- Another outstanding dinner!!SusanDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed yet another fabulous dinner with friends at El Barzon. It was extremely pleasant sitting on the patio while enjoying great food, conversation and a pleasant atmosphere. We continue to highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to returning!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014The neighborhood was not the best but here sat this this gem of a dining experience. It was very beautiful patio and great menu selection. Overall I'd definitely recommend it and I'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectJohnsonVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were seated on the patio for dinner and it was perfect. As usual, dinner was fantastic, service by Vanessa, impeccable.Special Features:
- Always a great meal.WatchTimesComDined on 6/21/2014We have been to El Barzon several times and will continue to do so. This past visit we brought some friends who had never been before and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & cocktailsFoodfindDined on 6/21/2014The food & service were amazing! But I feel the cocktails were not as good or given as much thought as cocktails have been given the last several years. I had a traditional mojito which was too sweet & the mint was not muddled. I also had a peach sangria which was also too sweet in my opinion. But like I said, our food & service were amazing from the salsa all the way to our creme brûlée. Thank you for a wonderful evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful food!Big888Dined on 6/21/2014The italian and the mexican food is always good! Wonderful service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationJohnsonVIPDined on 6/10/2014Celebrating by birthday at El Barzon = GREAT! My husband and I tried their special, they are offering a 3 course dinner, Tuesday through Thursday - appetizer, entree and dessert. Excellent choices to choose from, I had soft shell crab, and my husband had veal picatta. Our son had a shellfish/fish sampler (very generous portions) platter that was not on the menu, but they made it for him anyway. Scallops, Shrimp, Sea Bass, Tuna, Salmon, and calamari. Service was impeccable and the manager, Eddie is always a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueexpertDined on 6/8/2014The combined Mexican/Italian menu is unique. The dishes we tried from each side were uniformly excellent. Wine list by the bottle is good, but wine by the glass is weak. Outstanding margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattyPattyDined on 6/6/2014First of all, many of their dishes come with Mole. I should have asked to taste it first because I never had it before, but I felt adventurous. I did not like it at all. Three others in my party had Italian and LOVED theirs. A little pricey, but I'd go back and try something different. Also, we were seated outside. That was very enjoyable!Special Features:
- Great CelebrationjoemVIPDined on 6/1/2014Great food and service. Norberto and his staff provide a unique environment and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time dining at El BarzonShannyDined on 5/30/2014Great ambiance, delicious food! Will definitely be back. Really enjoyed my dinner, but even more importantly for a return visit, noticed many things I would or could have ordered instead. Extensive menu with Italian & Mexican dishes, which I didn't even fully read as I was in the mood for Mexican.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Disappointing ServiceLove2eatoutDined on 5/24/2014We took friends who had never before eaten at El Barzon. On the way over we raved about the food. The food didn't disappoint, but the service was another matter. After a wait, our waiter appeared, took our drink order and delivered it. We ordered an appetizer, which took some time to deliver, so we gave our food order at that time. He had not given us the sauce for the appetizer, and we had to look for him. Good thing we had ordered our main courses, as it took an inordinately long time for the food to arrive. We reminded the waiter at that point that he had forgotten our salads. He was apologetic and said he would bring them (and with no charge). He did not come buy to ask if we wanted another drink - we had to find him again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 94 reviews are from the El Barzon reviews archive.
- noisy but nicezeb902Dined on 5/17/2014Our first visit. The food was great. The noise level was very high. Could barely hear our dining companions. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!noneDined on 5/11/2014The moment I stepped inside the restaurant from the rear entrance, I felt like I could have been in Mexico - except for all the gringo faces of the other patrons. The mariachi band was very traditional. The finishes of the outdoor area are common in Mexican buildings. And the place smelled fantastic. I tried a variety of different dishes and they were all excellent. The chef/owner is Mexican, but he was THE chef at Il Posto and La Dolce Vita over the past dozen years, having brought both of those restaurants many awards and years of prosperity. (Since his departures, both Italian restaurants have faded away.) Don't let the Mexican/Italian menu give you pause; you will have a meal you will remember.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodFoodfriendVIPDined on 5/10/2014Amongst the six of us we had a broad variety of menu items including the specials ... Food was outstanding ... Service was mediocre at best ... With a smile, but painfully slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Best Ever!FoodiefanDined on 5/7/2014Took my hubbie here for his birthday and I was debating here or Joe Meurs (which I also love) and decided on here for something different. We got chips and guac which was excellent and a chili poblano pepper for an app and both were outstanding. The poblano pepper was perfect! We ordered margaritas and they were the only thing I didn't love - they were fizzy and tasted different than a regular margarita. I got an arugula salad that was AMAZING and my main dish (Zuppa di pesce) was literally one of the best dishes I have ever had in my life. My husband got the Barbacoa goat tacos which were also delicious. Our server was great and knowledgeable. Overall this place was fantastic and we absolutely loved it. So glad we tried something new!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican and Italian!foodluver2Dined on 5/4/2014This restaurant has great food, service and ambiance. It has both Mexican food and Italian that is excellent, which is authentic and freshly made "gourmet", not your run of the mill tacos and burritos! Their entrees are over the top with home-made pasta and sauces, stuffed poblano pepper with pork and beef, apple and pear covered in a white nut sauce with pomegranate seeds! Their mole and verde sauces are great, I would recommend the enchilada mole and the enchilada suisa. There is nothing at this restaurant that is not good, also their handmade Margaritas are excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2014The pasta was delicious. My daughter in law said the asparagus was the best she ever had. Great choices between Mexican and Italian.Special Features:
- El BarzoneLscarpaceDined on 5/3/2014The Detroit Food scene continues to improve and El Barzone will not disappoint! Although its not exactly in a great location the drive is worth it and we always felt security and parking were excellent. We made a reservation and although we were a few minutes late sate down quickly. The restaurant was already full and most likely turning over for the first time in the evening. The drinks / wine list were great and the menu has a wide variety (portions are large enough to share). Aside from friendly staff and great food the only comment would be that the noise level was really loud. Come warmer evenings the outside patio is going to be a great place to sit.Special Features:
- Great DinnerLszubaDined on 5/3/2014Great meal, Fantastic Margaritas and menu offers something for everyone. Homemade chips and salsas were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening at El BarzonReviewDined on 5/2/2014We took friends to El Barzon for their first time. We all thoroughly enjoyed the great service and the wonderful food! Our guest had a special health requirement and he was completely accommodated! Another really terrific meal. Valet service and "Victor" watching the cars is also comforting....Special Features:
- Amazing!JohnsonVIPDined on 5/2/2014Table for 5 ready on time? CHECK. Amazing service by Luis & Eddie? CHECK. Outstanding food, once again? CHECK. Another great dining experience!Special Features:
- Best Mexican food in DetroitRaviVIPDined on 4/26/2014While they have Italian as well, which is good, the Mexican is really where this place shines. We go there for tacos and margaritas and are always satisfied. Goat tacos are a rarity and are perfectly done here. Desserts also highly recommended.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceDab2Dined on 4/25/2014This was my first visit to El Barzon. Enclosed, attended parking was in the rear of the restaurant for $3. Our reservation was at 6:30PM. We arrived early at 6:00PM and were immediately seated and showered with chips. salsa, and waters. The menu was full of mouth watering dishes. We started with a Caprese salad where the oil and vinegar were poured tableside (Nice touch) and the Bis Pasta (AMAZING!). I had the daily special, Chile En Nogada (stuffed poblano) with the cactus soup. Both were incredible!! Equally impressive was the service which absolutely made the evening. Victor was top notch while managing to make up laugh throughout the evening. We will go back again and again (and ask for Victor!)Special Features:
- Unique MenuMB100Dined on 4/12/2014I've never tried the Italian food here, but others who dined with me raved about the ravioli. I had a special entre - stuffed pepper with pomegranates and a walnut sauce -- it was unique and very good! A bit loud in there so conversation is a bit hard, but the atmosphere is lively.Special Features: