4904 Courthouse St
Williamsburg, VA 23188Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (757) 566-1157
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday 11:30am - 9:00pm
Saturday 12:00noon - 9:00pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
We will be closed for dinner on November 13 for a private event
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Kennedy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dudley's Bistro
Chef Jim Kennedy first opened Dudley's Farmhouse Grille in 2007, located in a 1905 farmhouse Dudley's quickly became an area favorite. The use of Fresh Local ingredients whenever possible, Organic Herbs and Wild Game were unique to the area's dining choices. The restaurant recently relocated to 4904 Courthouse Street in New Town, in the heart of Williamsburg. The new Name "Dudley's Bistro", and location have quickly become a favorite for locals and tourists alike. We still use the freshest and finest ingredients available, and we change our menu every two weeks to keep things fresh and interesting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dudley's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
Dudley's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (57)notable wine list (52)special occasion (51)romantic (47)great for lunch (43)hot spot (34)scenic view (33)good for groups (14)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Soups to die for!FCFoodieDined on 11/18/2014Enjoyed a fabulous lobster bisque on my recent visit. Jim's soups are second to none and are a must have when dining at Dudley's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant LunchRVAWmVIPDined on 11/18/2014Crab bisque, breaded oysters hit the spot on cold November day. Jim's best ingredient dishes always are authentic and delicious. Nice wines by the glass and excellent bottle selections compliment any meal. And the desserts... need I say more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPleasedDined on 11/7/2014The service and the food were great, especially the home made soups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!kjnl1115Dined on 11/4/2014At first, I thought I made a huge mistake. I studied reviews on places near Williamsburg VA and thought this sounded good. But it's in the middle of a shopping center and looked closed. HOWEVER... when we got inside, I knew it was going to be good. It's a tiny place but decorated to feel like you're a special guest in someone's home. They had a great list of beers and a nice wine list. But the food! Oh the food! Absolutely fantastic - from our appetizers to dessert. We so enjoyed and I would heartily recommend this place to anyone who is lucky enough to be in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make your reservation!eileenVIPDined on 11/4/2014Took the plunge based on other reviews. Glad we did. We had a nice time and enjoyed our meal. I wish I had the opportunity to eat at Dudley's previous farmhouse location. The decorations and warm colors were lovely - a nice surprise for a shopping mall location. This must be bustling for business lunches - and if it is not - it should be! When we return to Williamsburg, we will return to Dudley's. I recommend adding a local red and white wine to the 'by the glass' wine options. As tourists, I want to partake of local as much as possible. My crab cakes were yummy and the sauce was a nice addition. The pork medallions were enjoyed as well. The carrot-ginger soup was delicious. Highly recommend Dudley's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a gem!not2gr8VIPDined on 10/23/2014A definite stop on our next visit to Williamsburg. The dinner was exceptional. The selections made great use of local, fresh produce. The pumpkin bisque was yummy. Enjoyed the rockfish and the goat cheese cheesecake and light and delectable.Special Features:
- Be sure you bring someone with you.Western57VIPDined on 10/18/2014Not that it's a bad idea to dine alone, but if you bring someone with you you get the chance to taste something else equally wonderful. Whether it is the Cajun rockfish or a perfectly done filet, everyone at the table was pleased with every component of their meal. Add to this the outstanding Caymus 40th anniversary Cabernet, and you have a wonderful evening under the stars, or the clouds... It mattered not. One of these days I think we will just go and have nothing but soup. They are that good.Special Features:
- 2FoodiesDined on 10/17/2014Every time we dine at Dudley's, it gets better and better, one of the best Restaurants in Williamsburg, Virginia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Dinner in New TownTillerVIPDined on 10/16/2014Ate here by myself before an outing the next day. I started with their shrimp bisque which was rich and creamy and then had the twin quail on a mushroom grit cake with a mushroom sauce. Two glasses of a CA pinot noir accompanied my meal. It was a quiet night, the food and service were quite good, and the chef made the rounds asking how everyone's meals were. A nice, quiet, comfy spot. Recommended.Special Features:
- 10/11/14 Dining at Dudley's BistroSamanthaElizabethVIPDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the Bold Rock Apple Cider and Aleworks Pumpkin Ale. The bread was warm and served with herb olive oil. The Mixed Greens Salad came with dried cranberries, spiced pecans, and a creamy balsamic dressing. We enjoyed the Cauliflower Potato Leek soup and Pumpkin Ginger Soup. The soup portions were small for $8 but delicious. Shrimp and Grits was a little spicy. It came with jumbo shrimp and a solid grit cake. The Venison Chops - juicy meat with fingerling potatoes and green beans in a red wine demi glace. The Medallions of Pork Tenderloin - pan seared, seasoned with salt and pepper and very tender and served over a wide pasta with a sweet sauce. We weren't a big fan of the Hawaiian Sea Salt Butterscotch Creme Brulee.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/10/2014Absolutely Best food in town!!!! It's hard to pick favorite dishes--Cajun rockfish with gumbo gravy, Prime filet mignon, Wild Boar Sausage or lobster mac? The atmosphere is perfect for relaxing after a full day! Very attentive service. I'm especially grateful for the royal treatment I receive as a "local."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealFCFoodieDined on 10/9/2014Soups are second to none. Enjoyed the Lobster bisque on this recent visit. Duck was fabulous, perfectly cooked. Key lime pie was outstanding. Great wine and craft beer list. Knowledgeable, attentive service. Hidden gem in New Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent farm to table restsurantBaygirlDined on 10/7/2014Great service, we were outside and sometimes you are forgotten. Fish was excellent and best mac and cheese ever, sautéed squash was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Chef who knows his stuff!f00dieDined on 10/4/2014A great little gem in Williamsburg that I was happy to find on Open Table. We had the pleasant opportunity to chat with the Chef as he was enjoying a glass of wine on the patio. His obvious enthusiasm for cooking was apparent in his description of how he prepared one of that night's special convinced me to try it, and I'm glad I did. It was so delicious! Everything from beginning to end was fantastic. Don't skip the handmade deserts and coffee that they roast on site. The service was warm friendly as well. If I didn't live so far away, this would quickly become a favorite spot!Special Features:
- JoanneDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I cannot say enough about Dudleys ... From the minute you step foot in the door until you sadly leave ..: the owners are beyond friendly and feel like friends to me ... i don't dare try to describe the food because I cannot possibly do it justice . Just go ... Do yourself a favor and go ..: it's amazing and we never miss going to Dudleys Bistro when we are in Williamsburg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPattiDined on 9/20/2014Our party of four had four different entrees. They were all delicious. Only complaint is that they do not allow ANY substitutions. If a patron has an allergy to one side or the sauce, sorry.....Special Features:
- Absolutely OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014The food was the best I have had in a while, and is on par with highly rated restaurants in larger metropolitan areas. The chef came out to check on the diners' experience and the wait staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceZoeyDined on 9/19/2014We were greeted at the door, and our seats on the patio were ready for us. We each started with a different salad. My kale salad was delicious and perfectly dressed, and my husband's mixed greens also were very good. He had the filet, and I had the pork medallions; both dishes were beautifully presented and cooked; the wine we chose went well with the food. Dessert was the chocolate mousse - divine! - for me, and husband enjoyed his brandy alexander. The wait staff was excellent, and I love that the chef comes around and asks how things are, etc. We have always been delighted with each visit. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:
- Lovely setting & Great FoodHistoryLoverVIPDined on 9/17/2014Dudley's provided a sumptuous meal in a pleasing setting with a knowledgeable server. The manager was pleasnt & attentive. Food arrived hot & the Cajun grouper was an out of the ordinary preparation with a bit of spice, but not heated. The menu brings wildlife & specialty items such as quail & venison- a welcome innovation here in Williamsburg. We will definitely return, & make Dudley's one of our "go to" places for dining.Special Features:
- Amazing!MikeDined on 8/30/2014What a pleasant suprise! We weren't sure about the "bistro" part of the name, but don't let that fool you. The food is amazing - can't wait to go back. Three of us dined there on Saturday night; each course was delicious, from Apps to Deserts! A true gem in Williamsburg!Special Features:
- family dinnerjakeVIPDined on 8/30/2014First time at Dudley's, and it won't be the last. Excellent food, outstanding service - will definitely make the drive from VB back to Williamsburg to enjoy this restaurant again. Awesome experience!Special Features:
- Best in Williamsburg!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/27/2014Very good food prepared with only the freshest ingredients! It does not matter whether you are having lunch or dinner the dishes are prepared to perfection. We have been many times and the service is always excellent and the owner and manager very involved in the restaurant. They have a great Craft beer, wine and martinis to die for!Special Features:
- Good food, Odd Ownerkris10Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I ate at Dudley's because we read about it in the '30 places you should eat in Virginia before you die' article by hamptonroads.com. We thought the food was great. We had a melon and prosciutto appetizer, and for our entrees I had scallops and he had duck. Everything was fabulous! The service was very slow, and the owner was a little overbearing. I felt like he stopped by our table a little too often, creating the impression that he was breathing over us during dinner. We had a lovely time, but the ambiance would have been better with a quicker wait staff and fewer visits from the owner.Special Features:
- A delicious find in WilliamsburgMyrosiaVIPDined on 8/14/2014We stopped here for a late lunch and were promptly welcomed by the restaurant manager. The restaurant is small, but beautiful and so inviting! Our party of four each selected a different item. The chicken salad on croissant with a tasty green salad was delicious according to my elderly mom. Our son loved the Kobe beef burger; my husband thoroughly enjoyed his patty melt, and I loved my lamb burger oozing with tzatziki sauce and accompanied by beautifully roasted and salted potato wedges. We had NO room for dessert, but will definitely return many times. Thank you, Dudley's!Special Features:
- GreatWilliamsburgFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Enjoyed everything. Jack was a delight, and the food was just great. Nice Bistro, classical style, vibrant, and some great views of New Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in New Town!RichVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had dinner at Dudley's Friday night with another couple, and all four of us raved about our meals...ranging from sea bass to sautéed scallops to a beautiful steak. This restaurant is great for intimate get-togethers. The paint colors and paintings all blend to give diners a great place to enjoy fantastic food. Special thanks to Jack, the manager. He stopped by our table often to inquire about the food and service. And John, our server, was equally attentive. We had a great evening and dine there as often as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeWineanddineDined on 8/7/2014I've been eating here since Jim moved from the farm house, and this has been one of my few favorite places in town! However, this time, it was unbelievable! The food was taken to a new level, maybe. Because chef Kennedy is back in the kitchen himself doing most of it, but man, the food was out of this world!!!! Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Dudley's Bistro reviews archive.
- Great experience at lovely placeLoveSeafoodDined on 7/31/2014Amazing fresh food and impeccable service. This lovely place offers you fresh food for everyone and nice wine selections, great craft beers. The rockfish special we just outstanding. Delicately seared and well paired sauce with andouille. The service was outstanding and very knowledgable. I would recommend this place to everyone local and visiting in Williamsburg. Must try if you like good food, excellent service and lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Williamsburg!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/30/2014Dudley's Bistro in New Town always deliver. Food quality is excellent and the service is amazing! We always go to Dudley's Bistro to celebrate an event. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Lobster Rolls!RichVIPDined on 7/11/2014My wife & I topped by Dudley's for lunch and each had his lobster rolls. Absolutely fantastic! Large chunks of Maine lobster with no filler. They came with home made house fries. We topped it all off by splitting a piece of home made key lime pie. Dudley's is a great place to eat. Nicely decorated, quiet and a terrific menu that uses local ingredients. Lunch or dinner - you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short Drive To An Outstanding MealrororeviewsDined on 7/6/2014We are excited that Dudley's Bistro is only a short, pleasant drive away. Taking advantage of an evening with cooler temps and low humidity, we sat on the patio and enjoyed impeccable service, a glass of wine, and Chef Jim's culinary talent! Fresh and flavorful are key words here. The watermelon gazpacho was first-rate with just the right amount of heat. My husband & his brother found the veal chops sizeable and perfectly cooked, accompanied by a delicious mushroom risotto. My sister-in-law and I found the fresh scallops & crab cakes, both highlighted with local corn, a delight. Do not miss the croissant bread pudding if available. We look forward to our next visit and discovering what new creations Chef has to offer. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinedinerDined on 6/21/2014Great local restaurant in New Town with unique menu and excellent wine list. Also has very nice outside seating.Special Features:
- Father's Day Treat!RichVIPDined on 6/15/2014A perfect Father's Day gift! We dine at Dudley's as often as we can and the food, wine and service are always outstanding. My Father's Day treat included exceptional wait-service as well as seafood dinners for my wife and I. Her Hawaiian swordfish was fresh and delicious and my pan seared scallop appetizer in a corn and red pepper relish, followed by the crab cake dinner was excellent. For desert, we split a piece of home made goat-cheese cheesecake. It was fantastic! Dudley's provides gourmet food at affordable prices. Menu items include fish, seafood, steaks (including Kobe) and other items - something for everyone's taste. They also have a variety of home made desserts to provide the perfect finish to any meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experience...FiolaVIPDined on 6/14/2014I travel throughout the US and Canada and while away from my family I make up for it by indulging in amazing food :). As a standard, I use open table to find amazing local restaurants. This restaurant missed the mark completely and should not be on open table. I ordered a 50 steak and the explanation on the menu in comparison to what I received was absolutely laughable. The steak, first off, was suppose to be medium rare and arrived less than lukewarm and beyond raw. The 2 small carrots were barely cooked and only slightly shaved (it was essentially a raw carrot with the steam still on it). I suppose it was for presentation but the taste was terrible. This is literally my first review, I hated my experience that much I felt I had to share.Special Features:
- Great Soft CrabsooftieDined on 6/7/2014Very friendly staff. Small menu but really offers something for everyone. My salad was loaded with fresh ingredients & really interesting textures & flavors. Soft Crab special was spectacular. Biggest selection of craft beers Ive seen anywhere.Special Features:
- Some good, some not so goodLuckyDined on 5/31/2014Not my first trip to Dudley's but perhaps my last. The beer selection is great, and the Allagash Curieux was the highlight of the meal. Food was uneven - the scallops appetizer seemed a bit under-cooked, and I think $14 for two scallops is a bit high, especially when it's pretty ordinary. The swordfish main course was very good, cooked just right and with a tasty sauce, but the fingerling potatoes swerved with it must have come straight out of the fridge. To be fair, I was brought some warm potatoes when I brought this to the managers attention. The server was pleasant but not particularly attentive or effective. I've given Dudley's an overall "good" rating, but for the price it needs to be better than just good.
- Solid But Just OKmbuschVIPDined on 5/27/2014Have mixed review. The swordfish special was moist and exceptionally prepared. She asked for extra beans in lieu do potato, but had to ask again when the plate arrived with no extra portion. The wild boar special was most disappointing. Requested medium and it was medium rare to rare. Had to ask for a steak knife to cut through a bit tough chop. Had three small 1/2" chops. Sauce was just OK, as was mushroom risotto. Then came the shocker. The price was $39!!! Wow. Way overpriced for the value. Guess I should have asked for the price when special was presented. My mistake. Was a slow weeknight, so chef stopped by table then manager twice trying to sell the dessert menu. A bit irritating. Was good overall, but would not return.Special Features:
- Amazing!MelissaVIPDined on 5/22/2014The atmosphere was quiet, great for conversation, and very cozy. The staff was friendly and attentive. Make sure you make a reservation as there are only about 30-tops in the restaurant. They had a wonderful craft beer selection - good local choices too. The chef has a deft hand - everything was seasoned well, flavors were balanced, everything was perfectly cooked, and the desserts were perfect (not overly sweet, but nice and light). If you're in Williamsburg, please check this restaurant out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artery AlertChazDined on 5/21/2014A very small restaurant in a modern shopping center. The window seats look straight in to the adjoining Z Pizza restaurant next door. Only 3 other tables for the owner, manager, chef and two servers to pour their attention on. Service from the very knowledgable waiter was particularly attentive. Good but small wine list, full bar. Be careful of the old style French cuisine, swimming in clarified butter, the lobster bisque was pure cream. In my opinion the butter overwhelmed the natural taste of the food, which is unfortunate as this place as potential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day treat!CarlDined on 5/11/2014My daughter took me to Dudley's for an afternoon on the patio. Great wine selection, attentive service and fantastic meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.