805 Williamson Street
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.cheznanoumadison.com/
- Phone: (608) 283-4266
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 9:00am -2:00pm.
Lunch: Wednesday - Thursday - Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday - Friday - Saturday 6:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Anne-Marie (Nanou) Rieunier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Preparation and delivery of Appetizers, Entrees and Desserts. We also offer a choice of Charcuterie and Cheese plates.
A word from Chez Nanou
Whether you are having a family event or just a dinner with friends, we can prepare and deliver a delicious meal with a choice of French wines. Enjoy Crêpes, galettes Bretonnes (gluten free) quiches, croque-monsieur,soups, salads and desserts...Try our Lavender Crème Brûlée, and also the day's special - Boeuf Bourguignon, Poulet Basquaise, Tartiflette, Pot-au-Feu, etc...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Nanou reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (13)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)special occasion (5)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- French GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We went to dinner recently with two other couples, one of them French speaking. We were warmly greeted and immediately seated. We did have reservations which is a very good idea since the restaurant is small. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even to the point of recommending wine pairings for our meals. Even the owner/chef came out several times to converse with guests both in English and in French. At no time did we feel that we were rushed even with the limited seating. We ordered both crepes and cassolettes. Mine was a Pariessiene cassolette with ham, mushrooms, and cheese in a bearnaise sauce. It was excellent. Everyone agreed that their meals also were excellent. There were many interesting choices on the menu as well as evening specials. Highly recommended restaurant. In a city with a large selection of ethnic places to eat, Chez Nanou is a must addition to your restaurant choices. We are looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodpornmakerfromWIDined on 11/8/2014Love the quaint setting. Great comfort food. No fuss just awesome home French cooking. I like that Nanou comes out to talk with her guests. A must for all lovers of small restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mthbDined on 10/31/2014Definitely on our "places we'll go back to" list - wonderful service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and very FrenchMadisonGirlDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I tried Chez Nanou for dinner. I had just dropped gluten from my diet, and was pleasantly surprised to find the waitress also didn't eat gluten, and she guided me to the many gluten-free options on the menu, including the crepes, which I had and were wonderful. My husband loved his cassolette (not sure I spelled that right). I have been to France multiple times and found the place very much like small restaurants I visited there. Very cozy, good food, and warm atmosphere. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Trip back to FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Reminded me of being back in France at a bistro. Wonderful food, very French, cook came out of kitchen to speak with guests. Just a great place!Special Features:
- FantasticEastsider80Dined on 10/18/2014We chose Chez Nanou because they actually took table reservations. I have to say, it was incredible. The entire staff was so nice and the food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find thank you Open Table!!!JohnandLindaDined on 10/17/2014we had a great dinning experience we were greeted quickly and professionally. The dinning room was very traditional French cafe / bistro and caused us to fondly reflect upon our travels to France. The food was very good the only complaint we would make is that the dinner meals are limited in selection. The wait staff could not have been friendlier yet professional and made you feel as thought you are a regular it the Cafe. But it was a Great experience.Special Features:
- fabulous French farehighstandardsDined on 10/11/2014We had two savory crepes and two variants of cassoulet. Everyone enjoyed their dish very much! We also enjoyed the dessert sampler with four terrific tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful small establishmentWildcardDined on 10/3/2014The space is a touch small but the food and service are excellent and fairly unique to madison. You will need reservations due to the size of the establishment. I recommend checking this place out for a special occasion or romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Am I in France?Francophile2Dined on 9/18/2014A delightful, rare French find in Madison. The food was fresh, service and friendliness was outstanding! Definitely will return for the French onion soup and croque monsieur.Special Features:
- Quiet Little GemSuchacriticDined on 8/13/2014Chez Nanou was like going to grandma's place for dinner, if grandma was a skilled french chef. We are looking forward to going back for dinner soon and trying brunch. The mushroom and ham crepe was great. Fantastic béchamel. The croque madame was nicely done. Then the hazelnut parfait dessert was unique and delicious. We were able to chat with Nanou and the waitress about our time in France. It was like being back there for a few minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodwewillllbebackVIPDined on 8/9/2014Their menu is somewhat limited, but what is on the menu is done really well. Delicious food every time we have been there, a pleasant dining experience, and we will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 17 reviews are from the Chez Nanou reviews archive.
- A little bit of FrancecspsueDined on 6/28/2014Chez Nanou is a delightful tiny restaurant with French specialties, well-prepared. Don't miss their hot chocolate if it's chilly out!Special Features:
- Crepes and comfortSJHJDined on 5/30/2014First visit and we enjoyed 3 different crepe choices, savory and sweet, and all were very good. Very nice Rose from Provence. Pleasant, relaxed, comfy place for light food.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantWildcardDined on 5/9/2014Delicious food and focused on service I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect light dinnerKateMadisonDined on 5/9/2014This is classic French cooking: every ingredient was fresh and tasty, and the dishes were uncluttered with culinary tricks or trendy ingredients. The menu offers salads, soups, a couple stews, and savory crepes. And then sweet crepes for dessert. Brief but good wine list. And surprisingly inexpensive given the high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Parisian CafeSpecialNightOutDined on 4/19/2014A very special, authentic French Cafe with charming wait staff and a Chef who makes the experience real. We were treated to a delicious meal with such care and kindness - The piece de la resistance was the lemon curd tart - it was as good as it could be (as were two other deserts) - I dare say Paris has no better! All in all, I would highly recommend Chez Nanou for the food, service and ambience. To those who love French food, Madison has a gem - you have to give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute neighborhood French bistroTravel2EatVIPDined on 4/12/2014Very nice French bistro on Williamson St. in Madison. Great brunch, interesting crepes and other options. Chef came and talked to all patrons and she was charming. Had the savory and sweet ctepes. Lovrd them all. We will return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too slow, too expensive, but uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/11/2014The chef came to talk to us in French, which is pretty cool. The service is super slow, the portions are small, and overall it is very expensive given the amount of food you get.Special Features:
- Completely Unexpected delightkoya65Dined on 3/22/2014This charming little cafes' dinner hours are 6:00-9:00pm. We were greeted warmly by the hostess who also was the wait-staff. There was a limited menu that Saturday night, but we still had 2 options for every course. The baked French onion soup was delicious, as was my husbands the orange pear salad. Both of us ordered the grilled salmon and we were not disappointed. The lemon tart and lavender crème boule were delicate and delicious. The chef, also the owner, delighted us with her presence a couple of times. Though her English is limited, she communicated with us via the hostess. It is clear, she takes great pride in her establishment and the wonderful food she serves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Authentic!vinoamoreDined on 3/12/2014We visited Chez Nanou for their Wednesday Night special dinner highlighting a region of France, and were not disappointed. The food was wonderful and plentiful, the wine selection they recommended was perfect, and our server could not have been better. The chef came out after dinner to have us try a special sorbet he whipped up, and it was also delicious! They did not rush us and it was a fun and relaxing evening. We cannot wait to go back and try their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous European atmospherecspsueDined on 3/1/2014Try the French hot chocolate! It can transform the day. The crepes were also delicious.Special Features:
- Charming, Quiet & Culinary TreasureWi1dineDined on 2/22/2014My dining friend prefers Italian food, however he ordered the daily special and was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Didn't Get to Eat HereGraceDined on 2/14/2014We attempted to eat here on 2/14/14, however, it took them 15 minutes to seat us (with reservations). There were 2 open tables when we arrived. They were down one wait person, but they had 2 staff serving for 10-12 tables. The people behind us were seated first, received water, and salads; we were ignored for 30 minutes when we finally sat down. The second couple behind us left within 5 minutes of being seated after receiving the same treatment we did. We followed suit. I understand that this place is French, laid back, etc. However, we have been to Toulouse & Paris and were never treated this poorly. Note that this place is a renovated house, living room is the dining area. (Note: food is rated poor in order to complete the review).
- From a tiny kitchenaliceisabelDined on 1/23/2014From a tiny kitchen an abundance of excellent food! We felt transported to southern France with every mouthful. On a cold Wisconsin evening we experienced the warmth of friendship and the special ambiance that comes from Nanou's caring about her ingredients and her diners. A pleasure in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice French BistrodjdeanVIPDined on 1/17/2014Nice French dinner. Great crepe menu Wine list was very poor but inexpensive around $35Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Visit to Willy StreetPipsDined on 1/12/2014This little storefront cafe is a Neighborhood Gem. The food is the star attraction: my omelette was among the best I've ever eaten. I find myself looking forward to my next time there. The service is friendly. Be sure to allow plenty of time to enjoy your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious French BistrowewillllbebackVIPDined on 1/11/2014Delicious French Bistro food. Limited menu options but what they have is done well, wonderfully prepared and delicious! Will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez NanouRDDDVIPDined on 12/27/2013Had dinner during the Christmas holiday week. A small, cozy dinner room. The food is excellent and authentic, especially the crepes. The desserts were home made and delicious. The only dissapointment was that hard cider was not available that evening. to completement the crepes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.