48 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chestnutasheville.com/
- Phone: 8285752667
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am - 9 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10 pm
Sunday 9 am - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chestnut
Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus (Double D's Coffee and Desserts). Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chestnut - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Chestnut reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)special occasion (157)neighborhood gem (118)romantic (92)great for lunch (81)good for groups (70)great for brunch (63)hot spot (57)notable wine list (54)vibrant bar scene (42)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (2)Show More
- One of the Best in AshevilleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Weight staff is always friendly. The four in our party ordered the special which they had run out of. Our second choices for a main entre were all very well prepared and very tasty. Our waiter was excellent, very attentive.Special Features:
- Comfortable bar settingBillDined on 9/17/2014One of the better restaurants in Asheville. This was our 5th visit. If you do not have a reservation, have dinner at the bar. Les (bartender) will take good care of you..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut lived up to reviewsVanweezerDined on 9/14/2014Never having been in Ashveilli before, my husband and I turned to Open Table and Trip Advisor to find a restaurant for our first dinner out. We were thrilled with the ambiance , service and especially the food at Chesnut. The lobster bisque was delicious. They offer a variety "small bite" entrees that can be made into a full size entree by adding a up charge. My husband had the bine in pork chop and said it was the best he ever tasted. I would highly recommend a visit to Chestnut .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014We had a nice dinner that was different and very good. Our server was great !Special Features:
- Wish the food matched the service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We were very thrilled with the service...Although it must have been an off night for the kitchen staff? Shells in the lobster bisque and overdone salmon and pork chop...thx for thd great service because it might bring us back but we will be sure to suggest how we prefer our meals prepared.
- Decent experienceDolphinaliDined on 9/13/2014It was good. We had the mussels which were pretty good, though they don't serve good bread to soak up the sauce. We shared the salmon. It wasn't a huge piece and was cooked a bit more than we like. The server was efficient but not real friendly. Chesnut was recommended by friends who live in Asheville, so would probably try again sometime, but there are so many great places we would most likely try somewhere else.
- Great foodChrisVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food, the pickled fried green tomatoes were super as was the redfish and strip steak. The wine list was also extensive, overall a nice experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I had the trout, my husband had the eggplant (main dish). Both were outstanding. My trout was served with asparagus, arugula and potatoes. Husband's eggplant was sliced and breaded with panko. In between each slice was tapenade and goat cheese. It really was outstanding. I think it was served with kale and another vegetable. We started with a cup of lobster bisque, which we split and it was very good too. Our server, Ryan, was extremely attentive. The wine menu is excellent, with several choices by the glass. With so many restaurants to choose from in Asheville, we weren't sure which one to pick. This one was a great one. Wouldn't hesitate going back to Chestnut.Special Features:
- Fantastic Service/Food/Worth Going!PersnicketlyDinersDined on 9/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at the Chestnut on a Friday night. Our server was very thorough in descriptions of cocktails/appetizers/entrees. She was kind enough to offer some great options and we were pleased with the finished products. The menu is reasonably priced for the experience - and we both felt well worth the money. Highly recommend giving this location a try!Special Features:
- Excellent meal; good serviceFoodsnobFussyeaterDined on 9/11/2014This is the second time we've been and each time we have been very pleased. Very accommodating for allergy issues and quality food. We took out of town guests from Chicago who were pleased as well and Chicago is a tough restaurant town to beat but in Asheville - no problem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoPumpkinruseDined on 9/10/2014Another fabulous dinner at Chestnut. So thrilled that they never seem to disappoint us or our guests with any of their menu items. From soup to dessert, all is perfect. A must for anyone in Asheville!Special Features:
- Best service evermehhVIPDined on 9/10/2014Four of us enjoyed dinner (delicious trout and salmon) with 1/2 price wine (very good), capped by a lovely chocolate espresso souffle. The atmosphere was pleasant and welcoming. Best of all was our personable and attentive (appropriately so) server.Special Features:
- Great Brunch, As Always!AshevilleGourmetDined on 9/7/2014Just around the corner from church. Perfect place for brunch...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Chestnut consistently continues to be outstanding....brunch was the first time and was super. Dinners and lunch are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRonbDined on 9/6/2014Food,service,and server were all outstanding. With a group of eight,everyone left with expectations exceeded.Special Features:
- Chestnut,AshevilleAshevilledinerDined on 9/6/2014Good food, ok cocktails (skimpy), over priced wine selection.Special Features:
- Chestnut FriendlyloveroffoodDined on 9/2/2014I have always been pleased with every aspect when eating at Chestnut. The food is wonderful. I feel a special word must be said about the friendliness of the staff. They make everyone feel that they are the only diners there. Kudos to management for the great team they have assembled.Special Features:
- Not the usual experience hereSparkyDined on 9/1/2014A bit disappointed, since this is one of my favorite spots, and I was treating a friend for their birthday. Despite my request for a private table to celebrate the occasion, we were seated at a small spot table (couch & chair) closely between two other couples. Also, no mention was made regarding the special occasion. To top matters, my friend was not happy with the entrée, explained problem to manager and it was returned from chef with no change. He could not eat it, however, no compensation for this either when the check arrived. Service was moderate, had a new server who was trying her best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I came for the lobster bisque and were still surprised how good it was. I think it must be a Paula Dean recipe as the butter/creme was heavy. The lobster risotto cakes were great and the Cedar Plank Roasted King Salmon was wonderful. The service was perfect and it was an all around good experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent trout!BillDined on 8/31/2014One of the better places in Asheville. We have there 3 times and every visit has been good! Wednesday nights all wine bottles are half price!!Special Features:
- mightymouseDined on 8/31/2014Chestnut's food was outstanding. Great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- Great experienceAshevillagerDined on 8/31/2014Our waiter was knowledgable about the food and wine, helpful, and friendly but unobtrusive - the best combination. Our dinner was excellent. Three of us had fish and one had pork. There were no left overs.Special Features:
- Must try!foodiebabeDined on 8/31/2014I've been here twice now and had excellent food and service both times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch with friendsMikeDined on 8/31/2014Had some out of town friends meet us for Sunday brunch. All of our entrees were excellent as were the Bloody Marys. Hannah, our server was outstanding. She was very attentive without being overbearing. The interior is very inviting. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Service!bobkastlDined on 8/30/2014Danielle was excellent as a server, most importantly, i was a total idiot & forgot that my reservations were at 615, instead we showed up for my 25th anniversary at 7 pm!UGH! but the hostess and manager made sure to get us a table. wonderful service! Great food, don't miss the bread pudding and lemon cheesecake for dessert if they have it!Special Features:
- Looked Good But...MrMKVIPDined on 8/30/2014The menu looked great and they try and get as much as they can local which is great too. Everything was all kind of bland. It wasn't bad but needed some flavor!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014My boyfriend and I went here for a dinner Friday night, the reservation was easy to make and they had space available. The food was great, small menu, but obviously well thought out. The cocktails were great!!! The place is cute , can't decide if it is trying to be modern or homey, interesting hybridSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time, still charmingluvavlfoodDined on 8/29/2014Our 3rd visit to Chestnut = same result: consistently interesting and delicious food; great service; a very pleasant experience. We were dining with friends who had never visited. They really enjoyed it as well.Special Features:
- OutstandingTeacherDined on 8/29/2014Our dining experience was outstanding in every respect. The food was phenomenal - generous, but not too large, portions. It was delicious and beautifully presented. Our server was attentive, without being present too much. We had an early dinner reservation - a good thing because the restaurant was almost full before we left. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- PopaPopaDined on 8/28/2014First visit at Chestnuts and will definitely go back when in town. Great food and great service. Our server, Ely, was very knowledgeable about the menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place!LuvgoodfoodDined on 8/27/2014We visit Asheville frequently, but we had never been to Chestnut. The service, drinks and food were fantastic. All questions were easily answered and it was obvious that the management is hands on and professional. It could be our new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall experienceSldaddyDined on 8/27/2014Tried Chestnut a few nights ago. Menu was good, had a lot of interesting choices...something for everyone. The seasonal salad and beet with goat cheese salads were both very good. The stand out entree was the chicken stuffed with proceutto and mozzarella cheese. The orzo and sauce made the dish.Special Features:
- InnAssistVIPDined on 8/25/2014Downtown on Biltmore Ave. Centrally located to everything. And the food was fabulous all 3 times we ate there....so far!Special Features:
- The Best Fried Green Tomatoes!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was well priced with excellent food and in a great location. Service was quite good~Special Features:
- Enjoyed it so much, we went backEmptynesterDined on 8/22/2014We had a great dinner and enjoyed it so much we went back for brunch the next day and the brunch was even better than dinner!Special Features:
- AshevilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Very well attended with full house at the bar. All entres were four stars except for the Trout. Wine list was acceptable and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- silverbuckeyesilverbuckeyeDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, friendly staff, very eager to please and make adjustments to menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteTravelerVIPDined on 8/22/2014My friend totally enjoyed his steak dinner. My grouper was one of the better fish dishes I've enjoyed. Dry gin martini definitely hit the spot. I'll be back for more.Special Features:
- Nice experienceBeverlyDined on 8/21/2014Service was great, food delish although my chicken with prosciutto and goat cheese was a little dry. Chose a Pinot noir they were out of and had to go with a more expensive choice, only so so. Everything else was great and we would definitely go back. Loved the decor!Special Features:
- Great choices for lunchSatisfiedDinerDined on 8/21/2014I had a business lunch with two men and myself--a vegetarian female. It was great because there something on the menu for everyone. We all thoroughly enjoyed our lunch.Special Features: