Carino Japanese Bistro
709 Edmonton Trail NE
Calgary, AB T2E3J5Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$30 and under
Carino Japanese Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carinobistro.ca/
- Phone: (403) 984-7534
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
We take the reservation for Dinner hours. Weekdays during Christmas season, we also take the reservation for Lunch. Not for weekend.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: Edmonton Trail and 7th Ave North
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Available daily after 5pm at Rear.
Calgary Authority Parkin LOT 10 is just across from the Edmonton Trail.
Daytime Mon-Fri 6am-6pm
$0.50 per 1/2hr to MAX $6.00
Daytime Sat, Sun & Holidays
$0.50 per 1/2 hr to MAX &2.00
Street Parking is possible (Mon-Fri)
2hrs 8am-5pm / 6Ave,7Ave between 2nd & 1st
3hrs 7am-6pm / 1st between 4Ave & 6Ave
After above hours, free to park.
(Conditions are subject to change)
A word from Carino Japanese Bistro
Japanese Geisha married to Italian man. She moved to Italy and tried to make Japanese food. But no one got interested in her food at that time. She missed Japanese food but couldn't make it. Her challenge had started to make "Japalian" food....Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Carino Japanese Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Carino Japanese Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (14)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Different and goodYumsVIPDined on 11/16/2014Very different food concept, enjoyed it, will definitely return to try other dishes, enjoyed the tuna tartar, pork belly gnocchi, had the lobster pasta and found the lobster a bit cold and not the best taste wise so this dish was a miss for us, too pricey for what we received, but interesting flavors all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiberloveDined on 11/14/2014excellent Japanese/Italian fusion, Saturday night bustling and busy, service was excellent, food was interesting, fresh and delicious. A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back of House WinsMassDined on 10/18/2014Clearly to me the food at Carino is executed at a much higher level than the front of house service.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemRatchetDined on 9/27/2014Only discovered this gem of a restaurant after scanning OpenTable. A great experience with some amazing food. The Soft shell crab was delicious. The Japanese art work can also be purchased and the artist is one of the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experience!PinkGirlyNurseDined on 9/26/2014Delicious food & great service. I really enjoyed the Italian-Japanese fusion cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger in CalgaryJimcrescentheightsVIPDined on 9/19/2014A gourmet restaurant with the best burger, especially if you have trouble with gluten. The rice bun is fantastic. The risotto is one of the best mushroom risottos I've ever had. It seems to just keep getting better. The new staff needs a bit more training, perhapsSpecial Features:
- Interesting place to try!browneyedgirlDined on 9/16/2014we have heard many great things about Carino in past but had not had the change to try until now. what a pleasant surprise of interesting flaours. loved the ramen salad and will definitely be back to try more again. found that the tasting menus was a bit too pricey to try out...$65 but perhaps if the price was lowered slightly in future we would give it a go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese Italian Fusion!?culinaryoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful combination of two of my favorite cuisines! Food was really amazing. Definitely going back to try all the things I didn't this time!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Extremely poor service, food rating would be mediocre at best. 1 1/2 hr. wait after appetizers dishes were cleared for the main course. Main dishes were not cleared until we asked repeatedly. Would not recommend, and will not be back.
- Great find...VixenateDined on 8/26/2014I had seen Carino in the EnRoute magazine last year and had been keen to try this top new resto. And it did not disappoint. We had the Tako Yaki appetizer, lovely broth to complement. Crab risotto spectacular presentation. And Rare cheesecake... delish! Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, lots of variety and creativity on the menu.Special Features:
- Amazing....as always!calgarycaroVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great selection for charcuterie and cheese. The duck! duck! duck! is fab! fab! fab! Have been several times...Toshi does not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a TreatSJCEDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed yet another great meal at Carino the other night. Just a short walk from our house, it's a perfect destination where we know we'll be greeted warmly and have a delicious meal. On Saturday, we shared the Ahi Tuna Poke - a perfect blend of raw tuna with avocado, green onion and hints of soy sauce and sesame oil scooped up with crispy tortilla chips. I tried the crab meat risotto - the whole soft shelled crab and pickles were a surprisingly nice compliment to the risotto. My husband, as always, toyed with the menu but ended up ordering the Teriyaki Wagyu Beef Burger with rice bun and fries. It was another great meal; we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing foodMikousaVIPDined on 8/22/2014My friends and I decided to check out Carino because it had good reviews but it was a total disappointment. We ordered 5 different dishes and not one of them tasted decent and we're usually the last ones to complain about food in general. I've never written a bad review about a restaurant before until this one. We're never going back.
- Excellent Exp. for FoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Presentation of the food was great. Vibrant color of food ingredients; good plating; good portion size. Taste was great; sharp flavors and well balanced. Ambience of restaurant was good; perfect for romantic evening. Service was good, except needed to prompt to re-fill water. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for someone who is a foodie and love a romantic setting.Special Features:
- DeliciosoDDbearDined on 8/13/2014We had the Giza, green salad, Caesar salad and mini pasta and they were all delicious!! Very tasty to say the least. Prepared a bit different than traditional but the flavour! I had been once before and thought it was very good but our menu choices this time were even better. Don't forget to look up because some of their menu is written on blackboads around the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EaterDined on 8/9/2014Your portions are a bit small. Service was good however.Special Features:
- Different take on Italian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Cool restaurant with great service and interesting flavours. Some of the meats were a little over cooked but still good. Overall, I would recommend others to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/5/2014Being voted one of the best new restaurants in all of Canada had me with high hopes. Total let down. We ordered the mixed skewer platter which was average and overpriced. I had the Duck duck duck, it was rich upon rich upon rich. A veg side was desperately needed. The "carpaccio" was NOT carpaccio, it was sliced duck breast, over cooked to boot. The confit didn't have crispy skin at all. My BF had the Kobe Burger which he said was gross (I didn't try it) my GF's was the best which was the Curry Lamb. The Ahi Tuna starter wasn't cold and was under seasoned. The service lacked too, having to ask the Chef every minor question we had. Thank goodness I got this on a Groupon as it wasn't worth full price!
- Disappointed123Dined on 8/1/2014We had reservations and were ushered to a small corner that was awkward. I can't imagine a larger person finding it comfortable sitting there for a date. There were only two waitresses despite it being a Friday night. We sat for a good while and finally had to ask for someone to bring us menus and water. When the food arrived, the presentation was exceptional. However, the food was extremely salty and lacking in flavor. I am glad we had a groupon and would not have paid full price. Overall, we were thoroughly disappointed.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Carino Japanese Bistro reviews archive.
- ExceptionalWineswinesDined on 7/22/2014Three us were treated to an in creditable evening of dinning. The owner served a five course meal, simply delicious. Our choice of wine was perfect to compliment the different tastes served. We will go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Creativity and QualityJimcrescentheightsVIPDined on 7/18/2014For me, Carino's may be the best restaurant in Calgary. They certainly have the best burger, with that unbelievable rice bun for those of us avoiding gluten. But the fish, the tasting menu that changes constantly, really the whole menu is filled with wonderful food. Never a disappointment, great food and wonderful wine suggestions.Special Features:
- DDbearDined on 7/17/2014Our entrees were delicious, it's a small neighbourhood gem with an interesting menu. However we ordered the "calamari fritters" and it was simply calamari as far as I could tell. Delicious but don't know where the "fritter" came in. I would go back but curious to know if other menu items are just plays on wordsSpecial Features:
- Lovely Evening OutSJCEDined on 6/28/2014As Carino is just two blocks from our home, we had a relaxed walk on a pleasant early summer evening to one of our favourite restaurants. The service, as usual, was welcoming and helpful and the food, as usual, was amazing. We started with the Assorted Skewers as an appetizer and a lovely bottle of wine, then I moved on to the Lamb Cutlet. The tomato curry sauce was a perfect compliment to the lamb and the black truffle-mash potato. My husband went with his usual Teriyaki Wagyu Beef Burger on a rice bun which was great, as usual. Stuffed and happy, we made our way home.Special Features:
- One of Calgary's best restaurantshakushondaimaoVIPDined on 6/20/2014Have been to Carino several times, and am never disappointed. Great service, great wine, great food, great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014After a fantastic brunch with friends I decided to go back for dinner and was truly delighted. I had their 4 course meal with wine pairing and it was amazing. This restaurant is truly a little gem, the food combinations are so interesting and they truly work! I will be back soon! Great job Carino team!Special Features:
- Amazing!calgarycaroVIPDined on 6/7/2014First time for lunch, but have been many times for dinner. Toshi never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014The food was fantastic! There was a great selection of Japanese teas, and the wine list was well done. Excellent use of a small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and menuHelloDined on 5/23/2014Still like the food but the quality is not as good as before. I liked the menu before it got modified, such as the lamb an md strawberry dessert. Still like the food in general and would still recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carino food experienceluv2dinebabyDined on 5/21/2014Amazing food! Something different. Love the duck! Duck!! Duck!!! Picture worthy presentation. Feels like you're having dinner in new York or las Vegas! check this restaurant out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different but FantasticIreneVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food and wine paring were great together. Pleasantly surprised. Would return to try the other dishesSpecial Features:
- Skip itAmccDined on 5/11/2014This was my second time at Carino. The first time left me unimpressed as well. The service at Carino is incredibly SLOW. Despite there being few other diners in the restaurant, our food took forever. Getting a server to your table is also not an easy feat. This time we had the skewer appetizer. Some of the skewers were less than lukewarm by the time they made it to the table, and none tasted that incredible. We had an assortment of entrees, while edible, none of them were particularly great. For the price and lack of service, there are much better options.
- Good as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014duck duck duck and veal were my favourites this time. Gnocchi with pork belly was always delish..... Wasn't a fan of the chicken linguini though.Special Features:
- Wonderful duckHolodnyVIPDined on 5/6/2014Unique food flavors with Asian/Italian overtones. Restaurant space is small. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Carino!StarGDined on 4/27/2014This was our fourth visit, we return time and again because the menu is great and frequently evolving, and the service is top notch. There are different specials as well, on the blackboard, so don't forget to look up! This is a real dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Great food, good service. Would recommend and will definitely return. Reservations a good idea as seating is rather limited.Special Features:
- Innovative menuFoodieSpouseDined on 4/16/2014The fusion of Japanese and Italian seems unlikely, but works. The wine selection is a fit complement to the cuisine. Things got a bit noisy, and the view is less than exiting (Edmonton Trail). Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Very UniqueHolgerDined on 4/11/2014I love the creative unusual menu. A lot of the dishes are a fusion between Italian and Japanese (e.g. miso cappuccino) and some of the creations sound quite adventurous, but when you try it each one of them is an amazing composition and the chef clearly knows how to blend unusual flavors. The owner also has great suggestions for wine pairings with your food. Trust his expertise! We had a wonderful evening and can highly recommend this little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carino Italian Japanese FusionTimothyGDined on 4/11/2014A quite varied and enjoyable 4-course meal with wine parings. The Japanese fusion influence to Italian cuisine offered a nice variety. Meals were nicely plated and portions were just right. A restaurant that is on my repeat list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna SpectacularDamienDined on 4/4/2014You simply have to try the tuna salad. Okay that sounds boring but it's anything but. The Japanese fusion on what could have been a regular fare was outstanding. The surprise in the raw tuna and avocado is the sea asparagus. Excuse me as my mouth waters at the thought. Great date night place. The only down side is the parking as there is very limited space, so be prepared to walk a block. but its worth it. The prices aren't through the roof but they aren't cheap either. But I've never felt I've overpaid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Kobe beef burger in town!JimcrescentheightsVIPDined on 3/30/2014I love Carino's. The service is friendly and very attentive. They have the greatest wine decanters I've ever seen. Ask for the snake. The food is wonderful. My only complaint on a cold and windy night is that when the door opens, the wind blows through the entire restaurant and we all freeze. One of the downsides of a small, intimate restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.