Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
231 Sixth Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolgrillenashville.com/
- Phone: 6153457116
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 6:30am - 10:30am Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Daily 5:30pm - 10:00pm Brunch: Sundays 11:00am - 2:00pm
Oak Bar: 11:00am - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday and 11:00am - 12:00am Friday and Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Tyler Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limited set menu offerings for social & business events. Please call Kimberly Gawthorpe at 615-345-7109.
- Private Party Facilities: Capitol Grille - The Hermitage Hotel - Nashville offers 5 private dining spaces seating from 12 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Mangold 6153457116
A word from Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville
Located in the century old Hermitage Hotel, the commitment to preservation continues in the Capitol Grille and Oak Bar. Relaxed, low key, and known as the place for Nashvillians “in the know”, the Capitol Grille is inspired by cultural sustainability. That is, preserving the past while using techniques of the present. Our commitment to using local food extends beyond just sourcing local. The ingredients are grown at the farm at Glen Leven, located just 5 miles from the Capitol Grille by Executive Chef and Farmer Tyler Brown. Brown creates a menu that shifts with the seasons, is inspired by what is the freshest and best available, and pays homage to historic Southern cuisine. The Capitol Grille actively supports and is involved with Share Our Strength, an organization whose mission is to end childhood hunger by 2015, the Chef’s Move to Schools program, as well as the Southern Foodways Alliance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville - Best Restaurants in Nashville ›
Capitol Grille - Hermitage Hotel - Nashville reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (81)romantic (70)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (21)great for lunch (16)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the entire evening. Food was excellent all around and presently beautifully. Noise level a little to loud but did not interfere with normal conversation.Special Features:
- A nice night out in Nashville5ofusDined on 9/13/2014In the basement of the Hermitage Hotel, this restaurant is wonderful for special occaisions in Nashville. The hotel is originally from the American gilded age and is beuatifully restored. The menu was filled with interesting choices, and we felt comfortable while enjoying truly excellent service.Special Features:
- Great Downtown ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Great downtown spot in a classic setting. Wonderful farm-to-table menu, where the chefs hand-select produce each morning. Lunch menu prices are incredibly reasonable considering how good this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingwipermanDined on 9/11/2014Limited food choices, overpriced, noisy, and not nearly as good as it used to be. The only thing that saves it is being part of the Hermitage Hotel.Special Features:
- It was okayFoodieDined on 9/9/2014The restaurant is at the bottom floor of a hotel (which is beautiful by the way). The staff were friendly, and the food was good. I think I naturally have high expectations for these kind of places. We ordered the squid to start, and it was like a calamari that we would order at any family restaurant. The cod was well-cooked and good. The pork was okay, too, but again, not mind-blowing by any means. I've been to other restaurants where the food it's so good I have to stop and savor the flavors. That wasn't the experience I had here. Also, the atmosphere was a little too uptight for my tastes.
- Great Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014I opted to try something new and found that I didn't like it. I didn't even have to find my waiter, the manager noticed I wasn't eating the food and came to check on the issue. They promptly removed the meal, he offered to rush a different menu item out and removed the item from our ticket. We had a show so I wasn't able to try another item, but the service was amazing. It was our anniversary and they brought us complimentary champagne and a little dessert. While the ambiance and service was amazing, the type of courses available at this restaurant were a little to high end for my palate so it's not a place I will likely eat at again unless I'm in the mood for one of their a la carte items, which are your typical steaks and burgers.Special Features:
- NashvilleHermitage tripSherryJDined on 9/2/2014The restaurant was one of the primary reasons for selecting the hotel. It was all I hoped it would be. Quiet, un-rushed, and a knowledgeable staff. While I understand taste is individual, it is important that the staff knows the food. I almost selected a dinner that after speaking with the waiter, know I would not have enjoyed. Our stay was during the week so the hotel and restaurant wasn't busy. For me, this made our dinner very personal. NOTE: I look forward to a springtime visit to see what's on the menu! LOVED the staff in the Oak Bar! Though it wasn't very busy during our visit...I'd venture to guess that Deb could remember everyone's name whoever sat at her bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not The ChainFroggyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great dinner in a beautiful setting. I had the scallops and they were perfect. Seared and served in an iron dish with a delicious, very light sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinner choiceSteakNseafoodDined on 8/29/2014The wife and I we're out for our Anniversary and wanted to try this place we both had salads and both we're different from anything we had have before and both we're very simple but good. My wife got the fillet and I got the scallops both we're REALLY good! We would recommend this place. The only thing that was mediocre here was the ice cream sand which dessert. But who needs dessert when u have a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad First Impression - Great FoodSurfandVegDined on 8/29/2014We arrived 10 minutes early for our reservation and we were invited to go to the bar and have a drink. We waited there for 20 minutes with no one coming to get us. I went back to check on our reservation and was told they assumed we would come back after we got our drink. This made no sense. We were then directed to a large table for 6 people (there was only two of us) when there was a table for two next to it. We told the person seating us we did not want such a large table. She reluctantly sat us at the table for two. That was a bad first impression. The remainder of the meal was lovely. The waiter and other wait staff were excellent and attentive and the meal was very good.Special Features:
- Grossly Over-ratedCharlesDined on 8/27/2014Food was bland and tasteless; poorly presented. I ordered a side of Buttered Puréed Potatoes(commonly referred to as Mashed Potatoes), which were the highlight of the meal. We were comped for one entree. Also, service was slow, so we paid and left quickly, even though they charged us full price for 3 Happy Hour drinks!!
- ExquisiteNJtasteDined on 8/25/2014The Hermitage is a must see while visiting Nashville, as well as dining in Capitol Grille. The dishes are unique combinations of ingredients and flavors that will amaze your palate. The service is impeccable and staff are friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedLouLouTDined on 8/23/2014We had a fabulous night at The Oak Bar for our anniversary earlier this month - absolutely excellent service, cocktails and food, so we thought we'd try the Capitol Grill for my birthday. I was disappointed. The service was okay/good, but not excellent as it had been in the bar. Cocktails were great but the food was definitely disappointing. Our sides were very salty to the point where it was really the only flavor we tasted. The soup I got was also very salty & rich. Our steaks were good, but not remarkable. Dessert was great. We will definitely go back to the Oak Bar again but probably won't spend the money on the Capitol Grille again. For what we got, it wasn't worth it. There are too many other good choices in Nashville these days!Special Features:
- DonBDined on 8/23/2014great steak, good beer list, excellent waitress, cool hotel, would recommendSpecial Features:
- Very goodMtlfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014I was in Nashville for a conference, and ended up here for a dinner. The food was quite good - the heirloom tomato salad was fresh and tasty. I had the rib steak, which was slightly undercooked for my taste, but not enough for me to return it. The beurre blanc on top of it was a nice touch. Of particular note was the side of foraged mushrooms - clearly, the ingredients were super fresh. A nice, light side for the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Class!NickyHiggsDined on 8/17/2014Capitol Grille was recommended to me by a friend who had recently visited Nashville. He particularly mentioned the quality of the steaks. We were not disappointed! Each course was delicious, service was superb and the cocktail/wine/spirits lists were almost endless! We chose a mid price Malbec & it was delicious. A great, classy choice for a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- See belowJewelDined on 8/15/2014My party made reservations for weekday lunch. Seating request was cheerfully honored. The rest was in slow motion. Food was served more than 45 minutes after ordering; lunch took almost an hour and a half. Chicken dish was good but club sandwiches (not presented as a club) were cold and the toast was burned in places. Wrong checks were charged together and it took another 10 minutes to get the attention of the waiter to rectify. Certainly not the quality I would have expected from the Capitol Grille.Special Features:
- WonderfulLaurenPDined on 8/8/2014This is a place you absolutely must try, whether a Nashville native or visitor. The food is wonderful and the history and scenery of the Hermitage Hotel is unbeatable. I suggest having a drink at the Oak Bar first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningLuvtotrynuDined on 8/3/2014We celebrated a lovely anniversary and the Capital Grille was a big reason for the success of the evening. We enjoyed a very nice evening of dining. Quiet and not hurried, the lfood and service were excellent, along with the special acknowledgement of our anniversary, made it a enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch with friendslovegoodfoodDined on 7/31/2014Took one of my best friends to lunch for her birthday; and as usual, everything was wonderful. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was perfect, and the service was second to none. The Capital Grill is one of my favorite places to have a nice, enjoyable, relaxing meal anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious diningDamayVIPDined on 7/26/2014Loved the atmosphere at this place. Our server was very attentive and the food excellent. Chef Tyler sources many of the items from his own farm and the flavor shows. The beet salad and sweet onion soup were outstanding. The entrees perfectly prepared. The only hitch were the mini muffins served with dinner.....a little ordinary and flavorless, but oh so minor a criticism. Would go back againSpecial Features:
- Dinner-FriendsDinnerFriendsDined on 7/25/2014We love, love this restaurant. The food is always exceptional, the staff courteous, kind and they go out of their way to make your dining experience as memorable as The Hermitage is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experiencetravelsalotDined on 7/24/2014The restaurant is in the Hermitage Hotel which has a beautiful lobby; be sure to see that as well. The food was pricey but fabulous and the ambiance was great. Our server was attentive and very nice, but did not interrupt us. Definitely try the onion bisque-it is amazing! If you go, check out the men's room - it has a plaque by the door explaining the history!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little loudFuzzyDuckDined on 7/22/2014The food was ok, but the place was louder than anticipated. Service was great and attentive, and they have a very extensive bourbon list. The sweet onion bisque was great. I would not really recommend the place for a date, it was simply too loud for that. But for a group of friends it would be a great place
- Absolutely DelicioussafetylawyerVIPDined on 7/22/2014This is a wonderful restaurant in the historic hermitage hotel. I was dining alone while on a business trip but the waitstaff were very solicitous and checked back with me repeatedly, despite a large group (35 people, multiple large tables) being seated right before me. Don't miss the sweet onion soup ... Amazing. My pork dish was perfectly cooked and tender and they also have exquisite desserts. I'll be back ...Special Features:
- FantasticFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014The server was amazing. The entire experience was terrific. I was born in Nashville, and hit a lot of restaurants on a weekly basis and was blown away Saturday night.Special Features:
- Wonderful Service!civoryrncDined on 7/18/2014Really loved the service at Capitol Grille. Yes, the food was delicious and locally sourced; I had a fish entree that was the day's special. My only comment was that the entree could have been hotter when it arrived at the table. The waitstaff is knowledgable and attentive. We were dining with another couple, celebrating their wedding anniversary. The staff was very gracious to them-rose petals on the table and a token dessert. Lovely spot...Special Features:
- MandBVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious, well prepared and well presented - trout was fresh and excellent, I had sable fish that was also delicious, Caesar salad also very good (great anchovies). The cheese platter was wonderful, three cheeses, breads/crackers, and accompaniments, however one of the cheeses was too ammoniated for me - they reduced the cost of the plate accordingly. Service on the other had was not very good. Our waiter, obviously new was reading the specials from a note pad, he forgot about our wine (a white, kept on ice, but not at our table so we couldn't pour, not that we should have to) and we had to remind him to refill our glasses; after opening the wine he put the cork on my bread-butter plate. We will definitely eat here again.
- As always, everything was great!MichaelinNashvilleVIPDined on 7/13/2014From the great locally-grown/raised menu items to the excellent service, a notable place to dine for any occasion, or just for great food and personal service.Special Features:
- Great foodDukeFan100Dined on 7/11/2014My wife and I ate here for the first time while staying at the Hermitage Hotel. Food is remarkable with outstanding service. Expect to pay for what you are getting. It's worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ET TU BRUTUS?parforthecourseDined on 7/11/2014Take the Caesar Salad off of the menu or make it better. It is a popular menu item at many restaurants, and most do it badly. Yours is not on par with your other quality items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table at its Best!foodieDined on 7/10/2014Dined with friends this past week. Freshest garden salad with grilled peaches and dark cherries followed by the sea scallops that were cooked simply as they should be - perfection! Friends enjoyed the pork dish and the sable fish. We would have had dessert but had concert tickets and did not have time. Will definitely be back next time we visit Nashville.Special Features:
- Wouldn't change a thing!BambiDined on 7/6/2014Every item was perfectly prepared from the martinis to the desserts. Our server was excellent and helpful with information on things to do and see in Nashville. Very nice experience. We also ate brunch on Sunday and that was superb as well.Special Features:
- classic Nashville experiencecheesepleaseDined on 7/5/2014It's a beautiful (and historic) room with excellent food mostly farm-to-table. The only complaint I had was the presence of a wandering video crew complete with sound boom that was interviewing diners last Saturday night. They asked if we would be willing to participate, and they were quite polite about my decision to demur, but their presence and grubby appearance detracted from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating/Sustainable/FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014Not only do we appreciate their fresh, sustainable, delicious food--we also appreciate the chef accommodating our food allergies. Thank you for the wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very knowledgeable staffBellabravaDined on 7/4/2014Definitely a foodie place where the servers know where your food was sourced (usually in Tennessee or thereabouts) and how it was raised. Halibut appetizer was outstanding as was the vegetable succotash. Basement setting is so-so on charm but the hotel is beautiful. ISpecial Features:
- Great service, ok foodPallyDined on 7/3/2014The attention we received from Kasie our server was outstanding. However the steak was not prepared as well as it could of been. My wife likes her steak well done. When the steak arrived it was pink in he center. After a second attempt the meat was burnt on the top and tough to chew. The steak should of been butterflied or perhaps cooked with less direct heat. The macaroni and cheese and cream potatoes were excellent. The carrots were too sweet for our preference. Overall it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExcellenceKAStoyerDined on 6/27/2014Our server was a true professional, very knowledgeable & attentive. He went above & beyond to give my family a wonderful experience. It was our daughter's 21st birthday and he brought the 3 of us a glass of complimentary champagne. He gave the cake we brought in to the pastry chef & asked her to enhance it. Wow, the pastry chef did an amazing job with special icing & real flowers. After the waiter brought the cake out to show us & allowed us to take pictures with candles on it, he took it back for cutting. He returned with an unbelievable presentation. We were overjoyed. The food was excellent & the atmosphere was sophisticated but comfortable. It was a wonderful evening. One more thing, the valet parking...very nice and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianneforgoodfoodDined on 6/25/2014I look forward to taking out of town guests to the Capitol Grille when the opportunity permits. The food is reliably good. The murals plus the elegant decor give the room an inviting and warm appearance. During the General Assembly session, it is the best place to pop in for lunch and when downtown for a performance in the adjacent Performing Arts Center, wonderful for a nice supper in the dining room or the Oak Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern hospitalityDrLydiaGrayVIPDined on 6/23/2014The server pushed the onion soup that was extremely delicious but so rich that it ruined the rest of the meal. The simply prepared scallops were cooked to perfection but so rich after the soup. Next time I'm going to order the burger. I saw it looked fantastic, would normally order a burger in a fancy restaurant like this but it might be the call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.