346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaitaliana.com/
- Phone: 6177234577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Colella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We are offering a special menu on SUNDAYS from 12:00pm-10:30pm, 2 courses for $25.00.
- Special Events: "2 for $25 Sunday Special" Cantina Italiana will be offering a set menu on Sundays from Noon-10:30 pm. An appetizer and an entree all for $25 per person.
A word from Cantina Italiana
A tradition in Boston’s historic North End. We have been serving generations of families,locals and tourists in the North End since 1931. People crave the taste of our food. Some say their mouths water just thinking about eating here. That’s why when we change even the slightest thing,they let us know it. Some things should stay just as they are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (14)romantic (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Worth seeking outOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014This is a Boston suburbs local gem. We drove out from the city especially for our anniversary. The menu changes seasonally and was truly outstanding. Octupus that was incredibly tender, homemade fettucini, wow. Pumpkin creme brulee. Sommelier on hand, we found a small production Italian wine that was outstanding. The service was very attentive, just perfect. Casual atmosphere, a neighborhood place. Considering all of the great restaurants in Boston proper, I can attest it is worth heading to Waltham for this wonderful restaurant. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the walkValNikDined on 10/18/2014I always visit when in Boston!!! The staff is friendly and will actually have a conversation with you. Food is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was outstanding.ChalfontfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Don't get there before your reservation. Bar is small and there is no place to wait for your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!foodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Lobster ravioli and cavatelli formagi were awesome and the service attentive. If I had any problem with this place, it was when I ordered a vodka and tonic and was told they had nothing but flavored vodka and they didn't have a full bar. I was somewhat taken aback as there are hundreds of Italian restaurants in the north end somehow I wound up with one without a full bar.
- Great for a small group!BarryCDined on 9/20/2014My friends and I were looking for an Italian place in the North End, and chose Cantina Italiana. We arrived early for our reservation, and they accommodated us. We had a great table. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was good. Everything was served at the appropriate temperature. Sometimes, it was a little difficult to hear because the noise level was very high, but such is often the case in a small environment. Overall, a very good experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as alwayswheninbostonDined on 9/13/2014Have dined here every year when in Boston for conferences, excellent every timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok onlyPAGS57VIPDined on 9/5/2014My wife really liked the chicken parm but I did not like the veal parm.
- Consistently greatVegasVIPDined on 9/1/2014My husband and I have been coming to Cantina Italiana for over 30 years. It remains our North End staple. The food is always delicious,and the service is always excellent. You won't be disappointed. Ambiance is warm and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WARNING: VALET PARKING RIPOFFSomeoneSomewhereVIPDined on 8/29/2014What they don't tell you about the valet parking is that it's $20!! That's not service, that's a rip-off. That said, if you park elsewhere or walk, you'll find very good food, with most portions enough for two meals.
- Over saucedbostonflyboyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Yesterday I had a wonder pasta dish that I raved about: broken up fennel sausage, rabe, with a light sauce that just coated the rigatoni. Here the pasta with salmon and peas was totally over sauced. Too much,too rich and just too much pasta. The sauce overpowered the salmon, which was surprisingly tender in same bites. There are too many other good italian restaurants that prepare pasta dishes with just the right mix of pasta. intriguing ingredients and sauce to draw me back here.
- One word -- BombolottiyummoDined on 8/24/2014This was the second time I've been to Cantina Italiana. The last time was probably 3 or 4 years ago (I don't live in the Boston area), but I couldn't forget their signature homemade pasta - Bombolotti - which is long uncut wagon wheel pasta. This is the dish I had both times and loved it! Straight from the menu: "Bombolotti alla Buongustaia - Homemade Bombolotti pasta, tossed with spicy Italian sausage, fresh basil and marinara sauce, topped with parmigiano and fresh goat cheese, baked to perfection." Many of the pasta types are homemade. Everyone in my party of 6 was happy with their choices ranging from seafood pasta to gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night outParrinoNightoutDined on 8/23/2014Had a great time and really enjoyed the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time ... Will go backCathyVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both OUTSTANDING! The restaurant is dated but it almost added to the charm. We would go back for the great food. Very casual diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SheckySheckyDined on 8/22/2014Have never had a bad meal at this place. Had dinner there Friday night, 8/22. I had Veal Saltimboca. Absolutely delicious. My companion had Veal Parm. Also delicious. Service was superb, as always. There are a lot of newer, fancier Italian restaurants to go to in the North End, but we prefer the Cantina. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great food as always!BobODined on 8/20/2014We absolutely enjoyed our dinner at Cantina Italiana. We were celebrating my daughters last day of interning at the statehouse and wanted to have dinner at a place we knew would be great. The wait staff was very attentive right from greeting us to explaining the outstanding specials for the evening and making sure we had everything we needed. The lasagna is a favorite and did not disappoint. The seafood ravioli special which was recommended by our waiter was delicious beyond my expectations. We can always count on a memorable experience when we visit the Cantina....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerJXP70Dined on 8/17/2014Last minute reservations for 6 people. Food and service were both great. Veal parm was excellent. No trendy stuff here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014everything from food to service was very good.shrimp appetizer was very good and different.two different veal dishes were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Very good food and service was great. everyone was so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014This was my fourth visit and every time it has been excellent. The bolegnes is wonderful!Special Features:
- AWSOME food and servicePauldigiDined on 8/2/2014Loved the service. Third time going in past 6 months. The broccolirabe was AWSOME. Gluten fee pene tasted like regular pasta and loved the sauce and sausages with it. Wine selection was decent. They had two nice Sauvignon Blancs to choose from. Chianti Classico reserva always a good standby. Omar was a terrific and very attentive waiter. Only problem was the noise level as we were seated next to a party of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014This is a TOURIST TRAP. There are plenty of other good options that are much better and reasonably priced. Average cost of a dish is 20$ and the price does not match the quality of the food. It's not bad but its not anything I'd write home about. The waiter got my order wrong and tried to blame me. When I placed the order he repeated what I said and yet blamed me for the mistake. He wasn't a jerk about it but he could have owned up to it. I don't think I will be going back. I was offered the dinner that came out mistakenly to be packed. When I left the restaurant I never got it. Guess they changed their mind.
- Great Classic North End SpotCtowntransplantDined on 7/29/2014Cantina Italiana was the PERFECT place for dinner with out of town guests to show them what the traditional North End was all about. Great food - OUTSTANDING service from Andrew - reasonable prices and a good wine list. Couldn't have been happier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Highly RecommendedTiffanyBDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant was recommended by our tour guide after our tour of Boston. The food was very good. The service was excellent and the ambiance was very authentic for Little Italy. Our only con was the Calamari. Ugh! You just cannot serve chewy rubberband calamari when so many restaurants out there get it right. This restaurant got Calamari very wrong. Such a shame since Calamari is a family favorite of ours and we rarely get bad Calamari. The Lasagna was exceptional. The Veal very tender and flavorful. The seafood pasta dishes were amazing. We really enjoyed this restaurant and would recommend it to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional ItalianTlevDined on 7/24/2014With all the newer upscale Italian restaurants in the North End (many of which I love btw) it is great that Cantina Italiana has held to a their more traditional feel and menu. It is a really comfortable place that reminds me of the great Italian places my parents would take me when I was little where my dad would talk Italian to the staff it felt like an extended family dinner. The food is very good (freshly made pasta, more than solid sauce, nice wine list) and like I said, the atmosphere is relaxing and very welcoming. It's the kind of place to go to when you want good traditional Italian food with the family or friends without.Special Features:
- JackieDined on 7/19/2014thing was great, we arrived much earlier than our reservations but they still took us without issue.Special Features:
- Lunch on a Sunday was not busy.luv2dineoutDined on 7/13/2014Service was great. Food was ok, but not as good as other North End restaurants we have tried. No free refills on soda...$2 each adds up with thirsty kids. When you pay $20+ per meal they could at least give you a free refill.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014We eat here several times a year (at least 15x) and have never been disappointed in service or the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad.mike492Dined on 7/8/2014I was looking for an old-school North End dining experience. Not the new, trendy, hour-wait, latest Big Thing restaurants. That's what I got. Relatively quiet. Staff was very welcoming, friendly and helpful with suggestions. I ordered the Bistecca di Manzo, hoping for steak with an Italian spin. I got a so-so steak and mashed potatoes for $33. I ordered it rare, and it came out fine. Just a bit gristly and more fat on it than needed for the flavor. Next visit I'll try the chicken parm. My buddy had the veal parm and said it was ok, but nothing to rave about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the tourist spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great dinner without the tourist mobs. Skip the lines and you'll have a great meal here. Authentic. Good service. Quaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time but not the last!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Great atmosphere; an attentive waiter and delicious food! Large portions and everyone sampled each others dishes. We agreed that they were ALL good! Can't make a bad choice here. I would certainly recommend this restaurant for anyone who wants authentic Italian food at a responsible price in a great environment!Special Features:
- Great food, great server!ChrisVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food is delicious, but I especially want to thank our server, Omar. Simply put, he is the best server we have ever had, hands down! I felt like we were old friends by the time our meal was over.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchdinner4twoDined on 6/30/2014The occasion was a business lunch and Cantina Italiana worked perfectly . The air conditioning was the perfect, the wait staff attentive and informative and ambience relaxed for a three hour lunch. Not a crowd of tourists ........old school North End Italian !!!Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant!!!JaswaseyDined on 6/28/2014Food here is traditional Italian & delicious! Good size portions. Comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice find in north endlove2wineanddineDined on 6/28/2014i was introduced to this restaurant during a food tour of the north end and i have been back twice - and can't wait to return! they have great vegetarian dishes and even make some of their meat dishes into vegetarian! looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- A Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/25/2014I am so happy to report that Cantina Italiana is back! The last time I was here was an unpleasant experience but is spite of that, I still brought a colleague from Denver here for dinner. The service was outstanding, the food delicious - everything that I remembered from previous years. Will be going back next week! I still wish they had a full bar, but it remains a North End destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!BostonNewbieDined on 6/20/2014Everything about this place is wonderful. Our waiter, Omar, provided expert service. His recommendatons were spot on. The food was incredible -- possibly the best pasta I've ever had. My husband had the chef's special risotto with scallops and loved it. The chef's special antipasto plate was truly special. Get there early. By 7:30 it was noisy and crowded. This is an old school gem amidst hundreds of other Italian restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 752 reviews are from the Cantina Italiana reviews archive.
- Never experienced this beforeArettDined on 6/14/2014I have never been charged for iced tea refills in a restaurant before. The food was Good food but when you get a small glass and then are charged for a refill l'll go somewhere else next time.
- Wonderful dinnerElsaDined on 6/7/2014Tired of all the hyped restaurants in North End, where people are endlessly lining up, we found this wonderful Italian restaurant on Hanover street which, after the Union Oyster Bar, appeared to be the oldest restaurant in Boston! Not only was the service outstanding, also the food was excellent. This place deserves more recognition!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/7/2014Food was fabulous and our waiter was fabulous, but the ambience......not good.
- great food. too busyjd37Dined on 5/31/2014Food wzs great, the place was packed, very noisy, service suffered.Special Features: