Cafe Pro Bono
2437 Birch Street
Palo Alto, CA 94306Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Pro Bono
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeprobonorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503261626
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri. 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: Mon-Fri. 5pm-10pm, Sat-Sun. 5pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Jose Rodrigez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Akif Aydin 6503261626
A word from Cafe Pro Bono
Cafe Pro Bono is a place for taste conscious people. We serve a wide variety of traditional Italian dishes at reasonable prices with a freshness you can see and taste. Our menus include delicious, attractively presented appetizers, fresh pastas, fresh fish, steaks, chicken, salads, sandwiches, homemade desserts and wines to complement your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Pro Bono reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (36)good for groups (28)great for lunch (23)romantic (22)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- De-lish!ShaybabbyDined on 8/16/2014I was a great choice! I had the prawns, husband had the duck, friend had the lamb kebob. We were all very happy! We also had the Susan's downfall as an appetizer and loved it!Special Features:
- Always a pleasurechihuahua2Dined on 8/15/2014Love the out door dining. Relaxing, quiet and peaceful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value for good mid-tier foodSausalitoVIPDined on 8/14/2014A nice middle tier restaurant with friendly service and well-executed dishes. Not fancy but a solid place to go with co-workers and clients.Special Features:
- PaloAltoEdVIPDined on 8/13/2014Always a friendly staff and good exciting food. Great neighborhood find. Pro Bono has private rooms for quiet fun gathering.Special Features:
- totally reliable food and servicepianonoirVIPDined on 8/12/2014the menu is extensive mostly italian. they will modify dishes if you ask and they are able. i have come here for years...Am happy that they have been able to expand so have a lovely room for groups..and take very good care of those groups!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Friendly atmosphereLzrman38VIPDined on 8/8/2014We go back and back. Wonderful European wait staff and excellent food. Can't miss this as a regular dining out spot.Special Features:
- Can't miss dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014Pro Bono has consistently good food and service. It is my favorite lunch spot but is also good for dinner.Special Features:
- Serivce a plus, food is averagenapadiner2Dined on 8/2/2014Affordable prices and very friendly service, but not the best Italian dinner you can get in the California Ave neighborhood. Disappointed with pate - better than average taste, however the toast it was served on was hard as a rock. Carpacio was blah. Duck breast and flat iron steak were very tender and moist. 2 alfredo-based pasta dishes were tasty but not outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant!lstoneVIPDined on 8/2/2014We loved it. Every entree was delicious! We had a fabulous evening dining with our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!!urmyfavDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten at Pro Bono many times for lunch, dinner and New Year's Eve. This place never disappoints.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch selections!LuxValueSeekerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Had the fish that day, wonderfully cooked! Service was efficient if not a wee bit brusk...overlooked it because the food was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 7/30/2014nice selection of pasta, salads, meat and fish dishes. Service was good and pleasant. Offered good wine selections -- white & red. PleasantSpecial Features:
- My favorite Palo Alto restaurantfoodloverVIPDined on 7/29/2014Cafe Pro Bono is my restaurant for taking friends for birthdays or just to treat them. I am never disappointed. The fish is always good and the salads as well. The few times they have served halibut it was delicious. My favorite dish is Susan's Downfall, a decadent pasta dish of ravioli covered by a delicate gorgonzola sauce. The service is professional and prompt. Outside is ultra-pleasant, if not too hot that day. Finally, they have lovely bathrooms.Special Features:
- Highly recommend!ChefrjVIPDined on 7/27/2014Certainly one of the best Italian resturants in the Bay Area. We both dined on the pasta dishes which were uniquely different and wonderful. The best way to determine the quality of an Italian resturant is the complexity of their pasta dishes.Special Features:
- LoraDined on 7/25/2014We invited our friends to a party twice in a span of two weeks. The food was amazing, as well as the service. Probably the best food we had lately. we were served by extremely friendly and highly professional waiters. All our friends enjoyed it.Next time we will go there again, in spite of noise. Actually, both rooms were packed. It means that people like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and a discoveryFoodlover57VIPDined on 7/25/2014I randomly picked this restaurant to meet two colleagues for dinner at last week and the food was amazingly fresh and delicious, the host and hostess could not have been warmer and more accomodating. I am a bit of a foodie and very health conscious and the fish I ordered was among the most delicate, tasty and delicious without butter and sauces, that I can remember. The vegetables and salads were fantastic. The warm spinach salad is a gem. I drove down from SF for dinner at Cafe Pro Bono and will do it again!! Quiet enough to talk too! Even when busy and full!Special Features:
- Good food, atmosphere and serviceJustinJDined on 7/24/2014I have dined at Café Pro Bono several times. I travel to Palo Alto on business and usually eat at least once at Café Pro Bono. It is a very friendly and welcoming restaurant and everyone seems happy to see you. I have not had a bad meal there. The waiters are always knowledgeable and helpful. It always feels like a meal with friends.Special Features:
- A Great RestaurantSalmonloverDined on 7/20/2014I have eaten at the Cafe Pro Bono on various occasions and it has been delightful every time. Since I am not a professional restaurant reviewer or professional chef it is more difficult for me to quantify exactly why it is so good. Their salads are always very tasty with the freshest of ingredients, they are presented in a very artistic manner, and show creativity in selection of ingredients. My last meal there, I ordered salmon which was very fresh and cooked perfectly with a delicious sauce. They have an extensive wine list which appeals to every budget. I asked for a recommendation on wine and was pleased with the Pinot Noir which the server suggested. The dessert menu has a variety. I enjoyed the tiramisu. Location is also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mendyDined on 7/19/2014Farro pasta was excellent. Swordfish was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-event diningHapstanceDined on 7/19/2014We needed early seating for a party of four and chose Café Pro Bono based on proximity to Bing Concert Hall and 5:00 pm seating. The service was seamless, extremely efficient and the food did not disappoint. The wait staff was engaging and very responsive. Our table enjoyed several of the pasta dishes and one of the veal entrées. We also tried several of the house made desserts. The panna cotta was perfectly silky and nuanced. Look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ItalianLenaDined on 7/15/2014First of all, they should update the menu shown on their website. I had checked out what I wanted to order before going, but found to my dismay that many if the items were not on their menu. This was listed as Italian, but none if the dishes the 4 of us had had any relation to Italian food. The service was friendly but the place was noisy and stuffy. They have no air-conditioning so on a hot summer night, we couldn't wait to finish our meal and get some fresh air. We noticed there were tables outside so would definitely recommend sitting there if you go. We were quite disappointed with the quality of the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014We had a lovely dinner at Cafe Bono. There were four of us and we ate outside. We were probably 1/2 hr early, yet they were happy to accommodate us. Drinks were served, menus brought. The food was delicious! King salmon. veal piccata, and prawns. Not a single complaint! Tony our waiter was very attentive even tho we were outside. Will I tell my friends--yes. Will I go again---absolutely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service is promptMDL95003Dined on 7/11/2014Always have found this to be authentic Italian, fresh, house-made pastas, daily specials reflecting genuine touches of Italian heritage. Carpaccio appetizer was outstanding, spinach salad with bacon is always good, and veal marsala was tender with a light, flavourful sauce.Special Features:
- Fabulous flavorspadinerDined on 7/6/2014Café Pro Bono has the best sauces! every dish has a flavorful sauce, whether robust in the Veal Marsala or delicate in the Seafood Fettucine. Its pasta dishes are superb (house-made pasta); seafood cooked to perfection; as for meats, our veal and a lamb kebob were both perfectly done. Very satisfying food, excellent wait staff. This restaurant runs a confident, professional operation; they are pros.Special Features:
- WonderfulRocky35VIPDined on 7/2/2014It was so long since I had been to Cafe Bro Bono, that I had forgotten how good the food is. The wild boar sausage was juciy and tasty, the rack of lamb was outstanding and the bread pudding was great. And the service was friendly and attentive. To top it off the prices are very reasonable for what you get.Special Features:
- AlwaysexcellentCleanairgalVIPDined on 7/1/2014My sister, friends, family, colleaguesand I have eaten here for more than 15 years. We all live elsewhere now but always come back here when any of us visit Palo Alto. The service, food and ambiance are very warm and inviting. It's like eating really good food with family :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kudos to the chefdiningoutDined on 6/28/2014We've been going to Pro Bono on and off for years. Especially for the last couple of years, the food preparation has been very good - nicely prepared/spiced and good presentation. My mom even likes it, and she's a tough customer! :) And the cost is quite reasonable. The manager (owner?) is very cordial and often goes out of his way to make customers feel welcome and appreciated. Service is good and the staff are friendly (some of them don't know much about the wine list, so you might need to either trust your knowledge and judgement, or you might ask for assistance from the manager). We had a great time -- truly a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Dining2NCaliforniansDined on 6/17/2014We celebrated a birthday dinner and Cafe Pro Bono was as wonderful as always. The food is delicious and service was impeccable. Great selection and varied menu. We have dined here over a number of years and each experience was as good as the last. Cafe Pro Bono is a pleasurable and wonderful dining experience. Highly recommended if you're ever in Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014The staff is very attentive and courteous. We ordered the Susan's downfall appetizer, duck breast and osso buco special. The susan's downfall is definitely recommended especially if you have never had it before. The gorgonzola sauce is not overpowering if you are nervous about the cheese sauce. The ravioli were perfectly cooked topped with the toasted almonds rounded out the appetizer very well. I ordered the duck breast medium and turned out pretty good, though it did get a little tough towards when it got cold. The duck skin is crispy and reminded me of pork rinds. yum! The osso buco portion was very generous but I found it on a bland side. They also have a huge wine list to choose from for the connoisseur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- albertVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great food and good service. It was our first time dining here. Good food with a casual and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Cafe Pro Bono is our go-to spotlobsterloverVIPDined on 6/3/2014when we travel to the Palo Alto area twice a year. Good food, good service--a real gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioustj56Dined on 6/1/2014We have been dining at Cafe Pro Bono for years and the quality has remained excellent. Upon our last visit our group chose 5 very different main dishes; rabbit, lamb, duck, veal and pasta - all were amazing!!!! Service is friendly yet professional. A lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmo, fair foodMaxfoodieDined on 5/27/2014Wonderful service and pleasant ambiance BUT the food is not as good as it used to be. For example, the spinach salad is short on spinach; the halibut portion is small and the mango salsa contained three tiny bits of mango!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodtrainmanDined on 5/24/2014Cafe Pro Bono consistently provides excellent food well served without being overpriced.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Menue was descriptive and excellent guide for ordering. Outstanding grilled salmon; scottish.Special Features:
- OliverDined on 5/16/2014Been coming for years. Always good food. Service excellent.Special Features:
- The following 218 reviews are from the Cafe Pro Bono reviews archive.
- Great Palo Alto local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/29/2014The food quality and variety was top notch as always. I was very pleased to see the new specials on the menu. It can get a bit loud when the Resturant is full but with the table configurations you can still have a conversation with your dining partner. The Flowers 2011 Pino was amazing and the bolognese was top notch as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2014a terrific, very fresh, not too heavy, reasonably priced, pasta supper, good wine, and a table by the window. It was my first time there – I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Nice Birthday!OneWestDined on 4/28/2014The hit was the server finding a (surprise) gluten-free birthday dessert treat for my wife -- a nice touch. Opah was a terrific discovery, given the sad state of west coast salmon these days. The restaurant is named in honor of its proximity to the judicial buildings in our community, and we are lucky to be close by.Special Features:
- Thumbs up for food and servicesuelooDined on 4/26/2014There were five of us who came and they were well prepared for us. Our waitress was a very friendly and warm person and was very attentive. Overall service, like filling water cups, wine glasses and making sure that our empty plates were removed promptly, was excellent. We each ordered from different parts of the menu and all five of us were served at the same time. Each plate of food was eaten up with relish. Every dish was excellent and we all "licked our fingers" afterwards. We had a birthday person among us and that person was taken care of just right without too much fanfare. We will certainly be returning to Café Pro Bono.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.