101 N. Michigan St
South Bend, IN 46601Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafenavarre.co/
- Phone: 5749688101x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Mathew Jay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Cafe Navarre has 3 private dining rooms available with seating capacity from 14 to 24 in each room.
A word from Cafe Navarre
Cafe Navarre, located in downtown South Bend, is the newest hot spot as a restaurant and bar. As a locally owned establishment, Cafe Navarre strives for excellence in producing, and serving, the finest in cuisine. Established in the former American Trust bank building, Cafe Navarre is an architectural masterpiece, incorporating both vintage charm and modern styles. Our cuisine is varied with an emphasis on Mediterranean with an American twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe Navarre - Best Restaurants in South Bend ›
Cafe Navarre reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (113)fit for foodies (98)romantic (62)great for lunch (45)notable wine list (45)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (39)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (14)great for brunch (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- CarrollDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner celebrating an ND win and our daughter' engagement. The service was fabulous and the service exceptional for a large group.Special Features:
- Afternoon delightDomer1968VIPDined on 8/29/2014Had lunch here for the first time. Menu not extensive but all items were temptingSpecial Features:
- OutstandingLcogsDined on 8/28/2014We have been to Café Navarre several times and have never been disappointed. The food and service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th Anniversary CelebrationJamieDined on 8/27/2014We had the pleasure of hosting my parents 60th wedding anniversary celebration at Cafe Navarre. It was the perfect dining experience; not too loud, great food, beautiful ambiance, and attentive service. I highly recommend the duck and the heirloom tomato salad! We will be back!!!Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spotbriant9570Dined on 8/26/2014Had the privilege to sneak in a quick lunch date with my wife and chose Cafe Navarre downtown. Could not have chose a better place to eat, relax, and visit. Once again they exceeded our expectations. I recommend CN to all of our friends.Special Features:
- Very friendly waiter w/ great foodrosecitygalDined on 8/22/2014Waiter fantastic along with the good and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Navarre is a gemNancyDined on 8/22/2014Four of us enjoyed cafe Navarre. We started at the exchange whiskey bar, also a Navarre establishment, for cocktails, and walked a block for dinner. Waitress was attentive and helpful. Wedge salad, with Boston lettuce, was a great change from iceberg. It was wonderful. Entres were wexceptional. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NittiDined on 8/22/2014Seated us next to the kitchen which was disappointing. Seafood entre was quite small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.GreenwoodDined on 8/22/2014A new chef at a Cafe Naverre has made this the place to go. The taste and presentation have made this almost as good as most of Chicago,s finest. If you haven't been there for awhile, give it a try. The pork belly with watermelon app. was perfectly seared and the pastastios added that extra depth of flavor. The duck salad with the fried cheese ball was a hit.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in South BendBigDogVIPDined on 8/19/2014A very good restaurant that focuses on a diverse ala carte continental menu. Located in an old bank, the arched ceilings can cause some noise concerns at peak periods so not recommended for those seeking quiet ambiance. Food is always first rate but the ala carte approach will not be kind to your wallet. Service is generally attentive & adequate. Solid wine & bar menu. In their 3 year history, I have not had any bad meals served to me or my guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night at Cafe NavarreAmericanpieDined on 8/16/2014Group of 5 . The bread by the new bread baker is great. The wedge salad and mushroom soup are always wonderful as starters. 3 of 5 had the salmon, and it was delicious. The pork chop was outstanding. And the filet as well. Dessert was decadent. Shouldn't have done that. But oh well, that's why we work out, right? Cesar was our waiter and he is superb. Ambience is so fun. Another great night at Cafe Navarre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menuFigaro14Dined on 8/16/2014The real strength of this restaurant is its menu. It is not trying to be simply a steaks and chops restaurant. There is a very strong emphasis on fresh and lively flavors. On this last visit, the menu featured an outstanding short rib served with polenta and patty pan squash. My rack of lamb arrived cooked precisely to order and had a nice char from the grill. I'm really pleased to see the direction this restaurant is going. It is going to be one of South Bend's top restaurants.Special Features:
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014I do realize there was a lot going on downtown and it was crowded. But, from the time we entered the door we felt as if we were just another group to deal with. I felt the seating was cramped and food was overpriced. I have been here several times in the past and I am sorry to say it does not have the same ambivalence it had in the beginning.Special Features:
- Great foodMotherDuderDined on 8/16/2014We arrived at six and had our food by 620. It was great. Each of our dinners were cooked perfectly. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Bend's BestAZFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014If there is a better restaurant in South Bend I have not found it. 5 of us ate there recently, with steaks, seafood, and chicken dishes ordered. Every entrée was delicious, with the seafood being the best plates on the table. Service was efficient. The design of the restaurant funnels noise from the bar area into the dining area, so it's not the ideal place for a quiet romantic meal.Special Features:
- Second time not a charmMarieDined on 8/9/2014The first time we ate there it was great. But we were less than wowed this time. The Burrata starter was as if the Burrata capsule had been deflated since very little of the yummy creamy cheese was inside. That disappointment set the tone for a kinda lack luster meal for each my husband and myself. Our friends seemed somewhat pleased.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Navarre deliciousDobusgoestodineDined on 8/8/2014Went here for dinner based on previous reviews. We were in South Bend for a wedding and Cafe Navarre was within walking distance from our hotel so thought we'd give it ago and we're glad we did. The service was wonderful and the food superb. We started off with special martinis. To start our gastronomical experience we chose the Pork Belly to share which was perfectly cooked, so tender our mouths were watering. We then shared a Lettuce Wedge Salad, delicious. Entrees were the Chioppini for myself which was full of seafood cooked to perfection and my wife had the beef short ribs, so tendor and flavorful. Dessert, a cheesecake with Michigan cherries, to die for! Great atmosphere and the entire staff superb. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantChattiVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always usually a first choice for us. Had a group of 8 and had private room upstairs, which is nice.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencedatenitedinersDined on 8/8/2014This was our first visit. We enjoyed every bite. Service was great. Each item on the plate was prepared to perfection. We had the Chilean Sea Bass and the Kurobuta Pork Chop. Very pleasant atmosphere conducive to intimate conversation where we were seated indoors, kind of in an alcove. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findMasqueVIPDined on 8/8/2014This a very good restaurant. The food is inventive and the selection of food items is wide and varied. The service is attentive, smart and prompt. The management wants to please its patrons on every level. The restaurant is as good as, or better than, any similar establishment one would find in a bigger city.Special Features:
- Always a good timeStoney1Dined on 8/2/2014I always enjoy my meal at Cafe Navarre and Wang is the man! Give that man a promotion! My wife and I have really enjoyed coming here over the past few years. South Bend was a hard transition coming from new orleans to the palate but Navarre always stood for a good meal in a nice environment. I have moved away and I really appreciate the congratulatory piece of cake the other night, anytime I am in town I will always come back. If we play ND I will do a team meal at Navarre and call in advance. Thanks, Alexander J. StoneSpecial Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Had a reservation for 8/1/14 at 7:30pm. Seated promptly outdoors, the service was excellent, the food was outstanding and the place was vibrant. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys excellent food with great atmosphere. I have been here a number of times and every dish I've tried has not disappointed. DavidSpecial Features:
- Mac4ReviewDined on 7/29/2014Food & Service was great for us five....very tight table spacing & difficult to hear each other.Special Features:
- yummyDined on 7/27/2014Excellent all the way around - food and service in particularSpecial Features:
- Great place in South BendSolanaSteveDined on 7/25/2014I have been coming to South Bend on business for five years. This is the best place I have ever found for dinner. I hosted 3 of my friends visiting from Alaska (at the last minute) and we thoroughly enjoyed itSpecial Features:
- A nice dinner before theaterCDDiningVIPDined on 7/25/2014As one of our favorite restaurants in the area, we go here frequently and always have great food. This time was good but not as good as usual - lamb was not very flavorful and just warm. Service was not as good as usual but good, poured own wine, not uncommon for this area, but uncommon at Cafe.Special Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysSMFSBDined on 7/23/2014I'd say that Cafe Navarre has become an institution, but there's nothing staid about it. The changing menu is always an embarrassment of riches.Special Features:
- Exotic foodHalfbdayrulesDined on 7/20/2014We love going to Cafe Navarre. The wine list is extensive, the drinks are intriguing and the food doesn't disappoint. The service is on point, quick and full of knowledge. It's a nice place for a special occasion, special night or just a drink.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014We have been to Cafe Navarre at least 10 times and all other experiences have been great.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantMollyDined on 7/14/2014Café Navarre is my favorite South Bend restaurant. I have never had a bad meal. Both the food and the presentation are superb, and the waitstaff are friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time is not the charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Second time is not the charm. After a great visit,we were eager to return. Service (Natalie) was outstanding. Food was good-but was not hot when it arrived at the table. The special was halibut-pretty expensive but just an average piece of fish-dry and a little overcooked and not very hot. Cioppino was also not very hot. This is not an inexpensive dinner so we expect better. We will return (thanks to Natalie) with high expectations.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Food and service is amazing, one of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterNightOutDined on 7/8/2014Liked the ambiance but thought the food was not outstanding for as fine a restaurant we expected this to be. The vegan pasta dish was quite heavy with oil and the tomato broth of the seafood stew was a bit salty. However, my flat iron steak was cooked perfectly and the watermelon gazpacho was good too. One of our group of three friends said they would go back. The service was good without being overly intrusive. Even though the ratings I gave were favorable I would not recommend to a friend because the prices were not reflected in the quality.Special Features:
- So- SoMarciDined on 7/8/2014I've dine a number of times here and I have always been very happy with the restaurant, food, service however this particular night it lacked all those wonderful qualities. The service was extremely slow, my fish entrée was 1/3 less the size of those at my table who order the same entrée, the food was like warm & the legumes served with the enter were hard & tough, & I was not the only one with slow service I was in the restroom at 7:20 and a woman was going to the same show and still did not have her dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Adult Atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Terrific adult atmosphere away from the noise of restaurants where noise can disrupt fine dining and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Awesome dining experience, went to celebrate anniversary, very pleasant, service amazing& food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great effortThePunditVIPDined on 7/2/2014Kudos to Navarre for their support of Restaurant Week!Special Features:
- Excellent evening.Love2sewDined on 7/2/2014Excellent food, service in an upscale retrofitted historic building in downtown South Bend. Interesting menu items , lovely presentation. A little pricey for our usual night out but restaurant week is a good time to try it. For Special occasions.. Also lunch is affordable.Special Features:
- CanamDined on 6/29/2014Have eaten there many times and as always, food was excellent and service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- redwineDined on 6/28/2014Dinner was great. The steak was outstanding. The whole place is beautiful. We will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.