Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse
116 Brooke Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.byrdbaldwin.com/
- Phone: 7572229191x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch Every Friday: 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Carlton Spurlock
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Byrd & Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse can accommodate private parties and events. Depending on your specific event & number of people, we can reserve the entire building, first or second floor, or the private dinning room for your guests. Our private dinning room can seat 10 - 30 guests, from wedding receptions to rehearsal dinners to birthday parties to corporate parties, we can provide an elegant venue and superb food and beverages for the most discerning palate.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Rice 7572229191x
A word from Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse
A Traditional Steak and Chophouse restaurant had long been absent in Norfolk. With its opening in 2006, the Byrd & Baldwin Bros Steakhouse filled that void. Housed in the Circa 1906 building of the same name, the Byrd & Baldwin Bros Steakhouse was conceived and executed with a no-compromise philosophy, rewarding guests with a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Norfolk ›
Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)romantic (25)notable wine list (23)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- anonymousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Our waiter kept referring to me as "Buddy". He never offered the hot towels like the other tables were receiving. The specials he told us about were different for our table than it was for other table. Overall, the service was underwhelming.
- ExcellentMobyDined on 8/24/2014Delicious. We went on a Sunday, and were pleasantly surprised to find the restaurant week menu being offered. The steaks were excellent, as we expected them to be. Perfect place to celebrate any occasion.Special Features:
- BeverlyDined on 8/23/2014A meal at Byrd and Baldwin Bros. is the restaurant equivalent of going to a fine spa; luxurious without being pretentious. The staff takes perfect care of you, service is outstanding but not intrusive. Food preparation is top-notch; fresh ingredients cooked to order. The extensive wine list begs help from the sommelier, whose recommendations did not disappoint. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 43rd anniversary and this was the perfect place for a dinner for such. The food, the wine and the service......just couldn't gave been any better.Special Features:
- reviewquereviewDined on 8/16/2014Me and my wife enjoyed the food but the service was not good. Our waiter did not satisfy us. He disappeared for minutes at a time but he managed to serve other tales.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014B&B is a great steakhouse arguably the best in Norfolk. Delicious steaks and an outstanding wine menu Great sides and well paced service. Be prepared to be wined and dined slowly as all courses are metered and well paced. It is a lovely eveningSpecial Features:
- Excellent for special occasionsJakeDined on 8/9/2014Took my girlfriend on a date, and my goodness the food is incredible. I had the ribeye with steak fries, and let me tell you it was cooked to perfection. Escargot was wonderful. It has a very fancy and comfortable ambience which is nice for a romantic dinner. It's a steakhouse so expect to pay more than $50 a person, but for special occasions this place is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent25thanniversaryDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I visited the restaurant for the first time. The steak was excellent! We will be back!Special Features:
- Very enjoyableLuv2dineDined on 8/2/2014We were celebrating a birthday and it was a memorable evening. The Cobb salad was shared by all five of us and it was wonderful. From the filet to the 24 oz Porterhouse the presentation was lovely and the steaks were done to perfection. The crepe brûlée and key lime pie finished off the meal and were great. Wide selection of wines and the service was outstanding. Definitely will go back to try more of the wide selection of menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCurkeiDined on 7/13/2014I went there to celebrate my husband. They gave us a special dessert,which made us happier. I like the elegant interior, the good price, the well-trained staffs, and their dishes of course. Now they have a restaurant week special every Sun. You can choose $30 or $40 preset dinner. They are really good deals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CKinVABDined on 7/8/2014We went here for my husband's birthday a couple weeks ago and liked it so much we went back and took 2 special friends. They are from France and were very impressed with the wine list! Plus the food and service was great!!Special Features:
- Outstanding evening!CKinVABDined on 6/26/2014We have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while and finally had a special occasion to give it a try. The food was absolutely outstanding. Every course was great and Emmanuel provided superb service! At our request he gave us a min lesson in wines and was extremely attentive, pleasant and professional. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Wonderful special occasion restaurant. Best steaks in Norfolk. The crab mac & brie cheese is phenomenal. Our server was excellent and made good suggestions for wine and after dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealsMugsDined on 6/16/2014An outstanding meal - got the last special of the night - wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Best Steakhouse in TidewaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Outstanding as always. We have been dining here for the last 8 years and are never disappointed. Great wine list, perfect steaks, sides. No one compares in terms of value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlahOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/10/2014The food was bland and the waiter did not seem interested in serving us. We started with salads and an appetizer, which were not impressive. I had the special they were running that evening, which was Soft Shell Crab. I had never had Soft Shell Crab before and after my experience with it at this restaurant, I will probably never try it again. It was awful. My co-worker, who has had Soft Shell Crab from other establishments, gave his meal a "C".
- anniversary dinner was excellentHickorydinersDined on 6/2/2014First time dinner visit - we had heard about Byrd and Baldwin's reputation for excellence so we chose it for our anniversary dinner. Everything was excellent: steaks delicious, wine outstanding, service on the mark, and ambience just right. We weren't aware of the valet service at the time, but we found parking and access to be easy, even though we rarely drive into downtown Norfolk.Special Features:
- Dinner at Byrd & BaldwinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Our early dinner was fabulous. We felt pampered by an excellent server and the food was awesome.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Our new favorite restaurant, BY FAR! Food was excellent and Emmanuel took great care of us. This is true fine dining.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencefoodwineloverDined on 5/25/2014I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is perfect for a intimate evening and wonderful food and the staff was knowledgeable and very accommodating. I must say that I have been there before but I need to go more often!!!!Special Features:
- Not up to top steakhouse standardsFQGirlVIPDined on 5/24/2014When you walk into what you expect to be a "fine" dining restaurant and the hostess is reading a paperback, then that should be your first clue. The second clue should be when a menu description lists an ingredient that you are excited about in a dish, and that ingredient turns out to only be a garnish. Being able to see into the mens room every time the door opened was a bit distracting and I'm still scratching my head over the large bottle of Scope on the countertop next to the sink. The steak was okay but not as thick as it should have been and not the same quality of beef that you get at a Morton's, Ruth's Chris or other such high end steakhouses. On a positive note, they have a really nice wine list and the service was very nice.Special Features:
- Great Steak!new2norfolkDined on 5/17/2014Stick to the steak. Had read other review recommending the same thing. My husband still got the fish. It was fresh & tasted fine, it was served w/ risotto that had an odd flavor & it was expensive. If I'm splurging on a meal, it should be fabulous and my steak was. I gave the food 5 stars because it is a "steak place" and, as I told my husband, don't order fish at a steakhouse. Sides & appetizers were great. The decor was nice. The service was adequate, but I have higher expectations at this price point (he was v. friendly, but bread took forever which my children were not happy, hard to find wait-staff, salads were slow, etc). As a side note...I highly recommend their dirty martini (one of the best I've had in a long time)Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014The food was great the waiter was excellent valet parking for only 5 dollars quite large selection of wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointedmisleadDined on 5/11/2014Tthe food was terrible for the price. After seeing the steak , I knew that point I made a mistake of coming here. We usually go to Ruth Kris and I know now that this place does not compare. My steak was small amd it looked like it came out of one of tthose plastic wrapped streaks that was frozen foe years. I was so imbarris foe bringing my wife there on her special day.
- Steak fairSeatravelerVIPDined on 5/7/2014Instead of eating a grilled typical steak restaurants steak it tasted like fried steak, beige in color, no taste, nothing special. Steak at the Sheraton hotel was twice as good. I would pass this restaurant by.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse reviews archive.
- The BestBillDined on 5/4/2014The best restaurant in all of Hampton Roads. Worth the trip no matter where you live.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occaisionJohnKDined on 5/3/2014Byrd & Baldwin was fantastic! Great way to celebrate a quiet, personal event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014Best Bison steak I have ever had. The restaurant has a somewhat formal feel which I found pleasing. There aren't may places to compare it to. Service is impeccable.Special Features:
- My review of B&BJustmyopinionDined on 4/25/2014I was not particularly impressed, especially when value for the money spent is considered. I could have gotten an equitable or perhaps even superior meal (steaks and vegetables) at Outback or some other such steakhouse for a fraction (likely a third) of the cost of B&B. The steaks were fair and suitable. However, the accompanying vegetable dishes left a lot to be desired. The broccoli was bland. The lobster and corn dish was most ordinary. Neither were very inspiring to the palate.Special Features:
- Unbelievable steaks but pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Unbelievable steaks but pricey. Best steakhouse in Tidewater. Never had a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Second Time Dining68ccDined on 4/4/2014The food and service was excellent and it was our second experience at the restaurant. I would recommend it to friends and associates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class actDatenitedaleDined on 3/28/2014From $5 valet parking to coat hanging a total classy act. Top of line steaks and wine. Dark wood internal finish. This is where you go for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKellyDined on 3/23/2014We had the 30 oz bone in rib eye and it was the best steak I have ever eaten and I'm from cattle country! Expensive but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Great filet!DLduganDined on 3/15/2014One of the best filet's I have had. Quality of beef is outstanding. It is aged on premises. The asparagus and lobster Mac and cheese were also great! We definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014My wife and I had the Filet, and it was the best one that I have ever had. The mashed potatoes were incredible. I would recommend this resaurant to anyone looking for an amazing meal.Special Features:
- Fine diningJimFDined on 3/8/2014Excellent food great atmosphere easy to hold a conversation friendly service all around a fine dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice service and staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Very nice service and staff. Stick with steak and do not recommend seafood selections as the tuna was not prepared rareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing nightDinerXDined on 2/17/2014In celebrating our 10 year anniversary, we could not have been happier to dine at Byrd & Baldwin Bros. Our waiter, Ryan, was in training to be a sommelier and gave excellent wine recommendations in addition to waiting on us hand and foot and answering each question we had. We both had the soups, which were delicious. Our main course was steak, ribeye and filet. Both were delectable and melted in our mouths, and the crab mac and brie cheese was a fabulous side. The complimentary dessert was an unexpected surprise and a delicious combination of chocolate and strawberry. An amazing night, an amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014Absolutely amazing steak with crab and Brie Mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak at a great priceDKTKDined on 2/10/2014This is our second time visiting Byrd and Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse and we were not disappointed. We had some friends in town and wanted to introduce them to the Hampton Road area with a delicious meal! Steaks were all cooked perfectly. Sides (corn and mashed potatoes) were delicious. Desserts were loved all around the table; key lime pie, cheesecake and creme brulee. Definitely recommend Byrd and Baldwin if you would love an impressive meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.