Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
643 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/
- Phone: (650) 329-0665
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Eric Keyes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for Buca To Go and Delivery. If you're hosting a special occasion or group event at your home, office or a local area reception hall, Buca To Go or Buca Delivery is the perfect choice. Our friendly & professional staff will assist you with your order, arrange a specific pick-up time for Buca To Go or deliver your order ($25 delivery fee applies to deliveries). Plates, napkins, eating & serving utensils and condiments are included. No minimum purchase required. Please allow 3 hours for same-day delivery and call for questions/details about our delivery service area
- Special Events: Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, planning a business dinner or having a night out with family and friends, Buca di Beppo is your answer to one fabulous group dining experience! Buca serves authentic Italian family-style meals in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our knowledgeable staff will help organize and plan your group event or meetings with diverse lunch or dinner banquet packages - ideal for groups of 20 or more. Private and semi-private rooms are available.
A word from Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
Buca di Beppo serves authentic Italian cuisine in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our dishes are served family-style, meant to be shared by everyone at the table. Two sizes are available: BUCA SMALL feeds two or more and BUCA LARGE feeds four or more. At Buca, guests delight in our lively atmosphere, enjoy the classic tunes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and admire our decor, including family photos and candid shots of Italian-American icons, such as Sophia Loren and Joe DiMaggio. Our energetic atmosphere, delicious food and friendly staff make Buca di Beppo the perfect place for great Italian food and fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (62)kid-friendly (49)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (16)hot spot (8)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Quiet for a Wednesday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014We had dinner at Bucca's on a Wednesday night. It was surprisingly quiet compared to the other times I've visited their family restaurants. Now I must admit it's been a number of years since We've dined here. I've been out of the country for over 5 years and thought it would be a great place for our group of 10. As usual their service and food didn't let us down. The ambience wasn't the same without the roar of others having a nice meal and conversation. I like it loud. The other small issue was the temperature of the room we were in. Too warm but the manager explained there was a problem with the thermostat. All in all Bucca's is still my favorite family style Restaurant. Not one of my favorites but favorite. Molto DeliziosoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good king size mealShruthiDined on 11/15/2014First thing that came to my mind when i stepped into buccas was that how colorful and vibrant the atmosphere around felt. The place is completely covered with photos. A different experience. We had ordered mozarella garlic bread, eggplant parmesan, pizza and tiramisu for a party of 3. The food was good. One thing i would like to point out is that, it's a lot of food for anyone who prefers to buy his/her own entree. Even the desert looked like one could feed the entire city(grossly exaggerated.. but you get my point..)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2014This is my 2nd time dinning in Buca di Beppo, Palo Alto. As I ewcall, I enjoyed my first experience more than this one. First of all, they messed up on our reservation and we had to wait approx. 45 minutes to be seated. We told our server in the beginning that we were celebrating 2 people's birthday. Usually, they will come sing birthday song during our visit. The server never came by to sing birthday songs and didn't even ask if dessert was wanted. Our server didn't check on us about food, remove empty plates promptly to free up table space, and over charged us 7 kids drinks instead of 4. Also, I had a 15% coupon where the discount wasn't calculate correctly.Special Features:
- Listen for the waiter's advicesdinewithfamilyDined on 11/8/2014Plates are XL, everything to share, and affordable. I'd recommend listening to the waiter's advices before ordering (specially on the first time), otherwise you'll end up with too many leftovers =)Special Features:
- MelissaDined on 11/1/2014The food is always good here and served on time as well as warm. The only problem is that our waiter was also the bartender. Not a good combo because we didn't get that "personal" attention. Wait staff should be wait staff; bartender should be bartender. Our waiter/bartender was in a rush because, of course, he had to mix drinks as well as take care of us. We needed new clean plates; I had to ask 2 different people at 2 different times for these plates, and we had to wait awhile to get them.Special Features:
- Great Tasting Food for SharingJanetFBDined on 10/31/2014Our party of three shared an entree of the large platter of Veal Saltimbocca, a small platter of Rigatoni, and the lemon sauced green beans. The food was delicious and the right sized portions. We complimented our meal with glasses of red merlot, and finished the evening with our all-time favorite Tiramisu. It was a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueVioletaDined on 10/26/2014Great food and value. We live in between SF and Palo Alto but prefer the Peninsula restaurant due to its easy street parking and safe environment. Now, every time we are in Palo Alto, we will make it our habit to eat at Buca. We not only came out of Buca stuffed but also had enough leftovers for two lunches!Special Features:
- Good foodsuprisemeDined on 10/26/2014I am a regular at this Buca di Beppo location. I like their food, service is always ok, a little bit slow, but still good.Special Features:
- jlinWCDined on 10/25/2014Made late notice (10 days in advance) reservations for 8 couples (all over 75) during Reunion Weekend with everything in or near Palo Alto fully booked. Restaurant which is family style good Italian was perfect for the group. Food was great, served hot and tasty. Starting service was not so good as it was obviously "crush time" but improved significantly throughout the meal. Noisy, but not a problem. Good value! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedFamilyFirstDined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating my daughter's 10th birthday as a family. She had specially requested this restaurant. Unfortunately there was a loarge table of 14 people within 2 feet of our family of 5. We could barely hear each other over the other table, and the waitstaff seemed much more interested in taking care of them. A wine refill took 20 minutes to come, and it appeared AFTER the dessert was brought. It was let down for her, after she'd had her heart set on an exceptional evening, we had a below average experience. Why ask if we are celebrating something special if the event just gets ignored?Special Features:
- Wish service matched the foodAmdachiDined on 10/24/2014I used to love coming here. But the last few times that I have dined here has left me a little disappointed. Mainly the service. Using opentable they should have known we were coming. We arrived 5 min early and the hostess didn't seem to want to seat us and told us they can seat us at our reservation time in five min. Which would have been fine if we didn't notice all the empty tables and servers just standing around chatting. We didn't get seated until 8 min after our set reservation time. One of the servers handed us plates and utensils and his hands were oily and I mean oily. My husband had to use a wet one from my purse to wipe off the oil. I guess we didnt come here for the service. The food was good anf fair priced for what it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Food was delicious and in excessive quantity, staff very accommodating & very pleasant BUT it really was too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight Seating arrangementG6ReturnDined on 10/12/2014The booth was very tight for party of six and breads were cold, dried and hard. I am not sure I will go back to this place again.
- Another BAD experience @ PA StoreSpSsVIPDined on 10/12/2014Just don't understand why this store struggles with service. Went in for lunch time on sunday and everything took very long. They were not that busy, but 30+ minutes between salad and Main Course and 20 minutes to get 1 desert. They apparently overhauled the management team, but now the old managers are servers and service is worse than ever,. It's a shame as we like going to Buca, but with service like this, we will pass until they get things sorted out.
- Quality FoodItalianVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is a place for good Quality Italian Food. We like to get Rigatoni with Marinara with a nice salad. They also have very food lasagne, meat balls, soup and desserts.Special Features:
- Great placeetboat2bDined on 10/9/2014Loved the food, ambiance, service and general good vibe. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmadaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great place for groups. Large portions! The chicken masala was delish! Wonderful service and nice wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed Buca di BepporosajeanDined on 10/5/2014only two of us had dinner there, which was a mistake as even small plates will easily feed four. It was reather strange entering past the kitchen. however,t hankfully we got a table near the wall so the noise from adjacent room was not overwhelming. The food was good, but not outstanding. As my dining partner, was a college student, he took the exgtras home to eat the next day. Next time I would definitely take more than several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the hungry not for the epicurejohnandpopDined on 10/4/2014The menu is an original. Almost all of the dishes are prepared for either 2 diners or 4. My wife and I shared one salad and one chicken entrée and had more than enough food. Neither of the two dishes knocked our socks off, but they satisfied our hunger pangs. Based on the girth of many of the patrons, its clientele goes there to fill up and they are satisfied. The serving staff are very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 10/3/2014Lunch at Buca di Beppo was enjoyable, as the food and service were both good. Once diners get past the unsightly entrance through the kitchen, the ambiance improves in festive dining rooms. My Mother enjoyed pasta and meat sauce while I had a tasty minestrone soup and house salad. Prices are reasonable and the food is dependable, making Buca a good choice for lunch or dinner when in downtown Palo Alto.Special Features:
- Very good food, but...MarkRVIPDined on 9/28/2014We experienced a number of deficiencies during our meal. First off, they tried to seat us at a table that was so small, we couldn't get into our seats without disturbing the people next to us. Then, we were seated next to a very loud party. During our meal, we never received any bread plates or butter. Finally, we asked for some oregano and were given such a tiny amount, we had to ask again. The food was very tasty though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeFoodieDined on 9/21/2014I went here for dinner and ordered fettuccini Alfredo with Italian sausages. While the sausages were fine, I can't say the same for the pasta. Although the portion was very large some of the noodles were undercooked and the cream sauce was pasty. However, the server was excellent, as she replaced the fettuccini with a different type of pasta called baked ziti that I thought was quite good.Special Features:
- my reviewxyz123Dined on 9/19/2014Restaurant was very loud and food was mediocre. Walking through the kitchen (greasy floor is an accident waiting to happen) to be seated was strange. They didn’t walk us far we sat right next to the kitchen in cramped corner.Special Features:
- Decent food, food service was so-soIggyDined on 9/14/2014It took a long time for the food to come. Other tables got served their food before we did even though we were seated earlier. One order also got missed so we cancelled that one. Salad was somewhat wilted already by the time the food came.Special Features:
- Very small and too loudunhappygrandmaDined on 9/13/2014This is not one of the better Buco di Beppo restaurants. You enter through the kitchen and wait in a small area to be seated while they try to move the food around you. Receptionist is rude, most tables upstairs where service is slow and noise level very loud. Great for kids as you can not hear them over the adults! Will not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Luv this place!lewwDined on 9/12/2014There's always someone celebrating something - so the mood's good. The portions are generous and the food's tasty.Special Features:
- AlisaAvatar1Dined on 9/7/2014It was just OK,to noise ! Menu on web. Was not the same in restorant
- epitomy of middle of the roadLeeEatsHereDined on 9/4/2014Not bad, not great. Just your typical italian fare. Normally, I don't go to places where I could just as easily make it at home myself. But if you have a large group or from out of town or your kitchen is being remodeled, this is my go-to for Italian food just like we make at home. For that, I recommend Buca di Beppo highly. It's not exotic and it's not where you go to try something new. It's home style through and through.Special Features:
- DisapointedTeresaDined on 8/29/2014We went for an adult birthday celebration and they put us in a small claustrophobic room with 3 huge parties for children, there were 11 young children at the table next to ours and few adults. The other tables(4) were full too. My husband tipped the waiters so service was really good, prompt and polite. The noise level was truly horrible. The food was hot, and tasty but not exceptional. (meatballs,manacotti were good) Would be a great venue for folks that like a loud busy meal. On top of this they piped in awful music. If you are looking for romance, a pleasant place where you can chat to friends this is NOT your restaurant. Staff were welcoming and friendly. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Declining services and qualitymesashoppingDined on 8/23/2014We have been going to Buca for many years now, always for celebrating special occasion and large groups. For the past 2 times, they refused to sit us earlier than our reservation time even though the restaurant was empty and our table was empty. The waitress was very friendly but not much substance. For example, reservation for 10 got only 7 people's utensils. So we needed to ask 3-4 times while letting the food get cold. Same for getting new plates between appetizer and main course. I think we won't be coming back anymore. The baked ziti was dry. Fettuccini Alfredo was too rich. Garlic bread was dry. Salad was soaked in dressing. Well anyway won't be back.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!mizderiDined on 8/22/2014Despite the fact that we were an extremely large group, we're all college kids, and we're pretty obnoxiously loud, Buca di Beppo was able to seat us right on time, even though we were missing 4 out of our group (stuck in traffic). The food was AWESOME (as it always is), the portions were PERFECT, and we were able to surprise our birthday girl. Super awesome and would love to come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long of a a waitJRGomezVIPDined on 8/16/2014Even having a reservation the wait time was more than 40 minutes... excuses like I have all the staff cleaning tables and people is just leaving when tables were available make no sense The food is good (portions are huge, a small pasta or salad is enough for 2 people with decent appetite) The waiter was very good, friendly and constantly checking if we needed something else I may buy food to go but doubt I'll be back to at there
- I like BucaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I reminds me of East Coast family style Italian restaurants. Go!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Food tastes great. Portions are huge: good thing if you like to share with your friends, not convenient when everyone likes different dishes. Service could be improved: we had to wait a long, really long, time for one of our dishes, the waitress came 3 times to apologize...Special Features:
- good food and good serviceleesellsDined on 8/9/2014Went with a group of 8 adults and 5 kids. Table was ready within 10 minutes of us arriving. Service was prompt but not rushed. Very accommodating to our needs and children's need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/6/2014Lunch at Buca di Beppo was satisfying, as the food and service were good and the prices very reasonable. My party and I enjoyed the chicken pasta with Caesar salad combo as well as the house green salad. The entrance to this restaurant is a bit strange, as one must walk through the kitchen to get to the bar and dining room. Employees are friendly however, and we will return to Buca di Beppo in the future.Special Features:
- Great place to take a teamOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Took my daughters' water polo team to Buca di Beppo. The kids loved the environment and especially the food. Would have given this five stars except that we got told they were out of Lasagna after we ordered. Kinda weird for an Italian restaurant to run out of lasagna so early in the evening. Otherwise, everyone had a great time and the food is always great.Special Features:
- Always excellent service3queensDined on 8/1/2014Our server provided wonderful service. Very attentive even though he was busy, glass never was empty and food was wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plentiful and tastyMarkRVIPDined on 7/28/2014We go to Buca di Beppo regularly, and it's particularly tempting to go when they offer a promotion. This time, their tasty lasagna was 50% off. On this occasion, the service wasn't so great, as our server "disappeared" after bringing our food and never returned to see if we needed anything else (which we did).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Become part of the Buca family and enjoy. Great décor and music (a little loud) to visit Italy right here in Palo Alto. Delicious salad and lasagna to share.Special Features: