1701 Strand Way
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1887onthebay.com/
- Phone: 6194350155
- Hours of Operation:
Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm
The Dining Room opens daily at 5:00pm
Happy Hour is in the Crew's Lounge Monday through Friday from 3:00pm till 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The 1887 on the Bay gives it guest the chance to dine in history, while enjoying award winning steaks and fresh seafood on our bayside patios or breath taking window tables. Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Gloretta Bay, Coronado Bridge and Down Town Skyline from our 4 private dining areas that accommodate groups of 15 to 300 people. With ample parking, customized menu options, and amazing views; we are the perfect location for your banquet needs. Please call 619-435-0155 for banquet / large party information.
- Entertainment: Live Music every Thursday night, Music starts at 6:00pm till 9:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all special events information.
A word from Bluewater Boathouse
A California historical icon, the restaurant 1887 on the Bay is now San Diego's premier destination for coastal dining. Standing directly over the sparkling waters of Glorietta Bay, diners are offered an unrivaled panoramic view of the harbor while they dine on our bayside patios or breathe taking window tables. Bluewater Boathouse has gained the reputation as the best’s steak house on the island; but they are also famous for the fresh seafood that is flown in daily from Hawaii and the East Coast. 1887 on the Bay may be reached by water taxi, the Coronado Bay bridge or via the Silver Strand. The restaurant Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm and the dining room opens daily at 5:00pm. The restaurants 4 private banquet rooms are available for day or evening banquets including rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and corporate events and military functions. With two dining rooms, two patios, and a mouth watering menu, it’s hard to beat the 1887 on the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluewater Boathouse reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (62)great for outdoor dining (54)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (24)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (16)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Great Food!USMCAviatorDinerDined on 9/14/2014We were 15 minutes late for our reservation, but no problem. Seated at a beautiful sound side window seat with a great view. Service by Jimmy was outstanding. Seafood, appetizer, and desert all served promptly and with panache. Prices very reasonable for location. Will look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- unclepaul2unclepaul2VIPDined on 9/12/2014Venue is great. Food was fresh and well prepared. Servers were very attentive and helpful with menu items. Also, very dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grant53ERDined on 9/9/2014We good had an exceptionally nice experience. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJamboVIPDined on 9/6/2014Well prepared fresh fish. really fun spot for a casual hangout. We live across the way and always enjoy the walk along the docks to/from dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!DaveVIPDined on 9/6/2014We never would have found Bluewater Boathouse without Open Table. Quaint, historic with amazing food. Waitress recommend the evening's special halibut - local fish, very mild, topped with macadamia nuts and micro greens. Lightly steamed veggies on the side - yum. Our friend had shrimp and scallops and appreciated both. Save room for dessert - Key Lime pie as good as in Key West FL - rare find. Totally recommend! Save some time to walk the dock in the area and learn about Tent City, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for seafood and date.mateo2006Dined on 9/5/2014First time there for a date with my wife and will definitely be going back. Great ambiance, classy enough for a good date but casual enough to where it isn't stuffy or pretentious. Food is great too as well as the beer and wine list. Perhaps a bit pricy for the food but based on location alone, it's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerFoodieDined on 9/2/2014An unexpected date night turned into a wonderful evening out in Coronado. The food was excellent, great presentation and the Whith Chocolate Mud Pie was fantastic. We will definitely return and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- The JacksTheJacksDined on 9/1/2014Loved Caesar with Kale and bouillabaisse. Husband had sand dabs with green rice - unusual. All well priced. Waiter-Jimmy A- was very knowledgeable and attentive- good continuity for loyal clientele. Under new ownership focused on sustainable seafood and well priced. Mentioned booking at Open Table when arrived - not noted so I received a No Show inquiry next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SunsetNeighborDined on 8/24/2014We watched the sky turn orange from the outdoor dining table at the restaurant. Served by Jimmy who was assisted by Danny, we thoroughly enjoyed the incredible attention throughout the evening. The calamari and Romano-crusted snapper were wonderful--perfectly prepared. It was the perfect conclusion to the first day of our Coronado vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much ImprovednewfavoriteplaceDined on 8/22/2014I have dined at this establishment numerous times since 1976. I have enjoyed some of my best meals ever when it was the Chart House. I was a little disappointed when 1887 Boathouse increased prices but did not provide the same level of quality cuisine nor service. The meal that we enjoyed on Friday was outstanding. Everything was cooked to perfection, the service was spot on and the view and ambiance was, well, come one do I really need to say it? I would highly recommend Bluewater Boathouse & I will definitely return for another fine meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseLAguyDined on 8/19/2014We left immediately without even sitting down due to the excessive noise inside. There were no tables available outside.Special Features:
- Bluewater in Nado!EastVillageDined on 8/16/2014Great historic location with clean views / people. Fish was a bit dry and overcooked - but we'll prob give it another try as everything else was great. Looking forward to going back after the summer crowd. Easy parking, no vagrants or drunks hanging to haggle you while dining outside. Welcome to Coronado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedBethVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful lunch at Bluewater Boathouse. I have come to this restaurant for many years under different names and owners and had never been that impressed. We had friends staying in town and this was the perfect location so I decided to try the Boathouse again. Our meal from start to finish was excellent. We had a great table/view, wonderful service and the food was delicious, very fresh seafood and produce. I had made a reservation for 4 but there were actually 5 of us, which they happily accommodated and everyone thoroughly enjoyed what they ordered. I will definitely be back next time I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluewaterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014This is the second time that we have eaten at this restaurant since it changed ownership. Our last experience was fantastic! This time, however, was a little different. Our service was a bit slow. I ordered the cioppino and it was very good. The oysters we had for appetizers were excellent. However, my wife's Sand Dabs were quite "pasty" tasting. This may have just been an off night, but we thought the experience we had was not as good as the first time we ate here. We will be back to give it another chance.Special Features:
- Great placeAmirDined on 8/9/2014Mainly a sea food place with a great view. Friendly staff & good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fresh fishJockyMcSporanDined on 8/9/2014They are still ironing out some things - we had to sit on chairs that were too low for the table - but given that, the food was very good (I had the Ahi Tuna which was melt in the mouth), wine is reasonably priced and the service is friendly. Next time I am in San Diego I will be going back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- New owners, cleaner look, noisyhowelnDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to this location for about 5yrs now. They have made a number of improvements. updated, cleaner look. The menu is updated, and mostly a seafood restaurant....not that it wasn't before, but few other options now. More FYI than anything. The place is a bit noisier than before, also more people, and we did go later than usual. Service was great (more servers than before), which while the service was great before, the increase helps with the added attendance. Food was well prepared, they only serve SUSTAINABLE seafood +++++, and some selections I have not seen before, like the Sand Dabs my wife had. Very mild fish, something for those that don't like that fishy taste like me - I would actually eat these.Special Features:
- Terrible foodNotthatgreatDined on 8/9/2014I found your food to be awful. I ordered chicken (which looked like it was from Costco) and my husband orderd the catch of the day... Which was not a catch of day which it was awfully dry. Our waiter was great though
- Outstanding eveningNeillibDined on 8/8/2014I thoroughly enjoyed our entire evening and meal service was very good the food was very good and the whole evening as a whole was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodAnneVIPDined on 8/8/2014The wedge salad is wonderful. Crisp greens with good quality blue cheese and bacon. I had the maple salmon on a plank. Perfectly cooked and succulent. Good sides: asparagus and broccolini. My husband had the halibut which was overcooked and dry. I've had the scalloped potatoes here on another occasion and they need some work. Very bland and served only lukewarm. All foods should come HOT! Good ambience. Sit closer to the windows. The inside area near the cook station is extremely LOUD. Hard to have a conversation. Staff is professional and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great Dinner Experience as PromisedGMBBRKVIPDined on 8/7/2014I ordered the cedar plank on the advice of our server Danny. The salmon was overdone, and he handled it immediately. The difference between the first and second plate of salmon was like night and day. He was right - it was excellent. The manager also sent us a dessert to share for the inconvenience (everyone else was done eating by the time I got my replacement salmon). All in all, the new place is beautiful and our server very friendly and attentive. Ask for Danny's station! We were first seated inside and the chairs felt awkward for the table (chairs were too low). We wanted to sit outside anyway and a table was available on the patio, so we were easily moved to the outside table.Special Features:
- Up & Coming!Foodlover1VIPDined on 8/7/2014Under the new operators they still need to find their "sea legs". Nice setting and good service, but "little things" not yet under control: sweeper left in dining area; spinach juice soaked house made chips served on same dish; Luke-warm coffee at end of meal. Potential is on the horizon but hasn't arrived yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just oknamibDined on 8/3/2014my husband enjoyed the fisherman's platter but thought the coleslaw was overwhelmed by the parsley in it. I had the halibut of that with scalloped potatoes and seasonal vegetables. I felt The scalloped potatoes were too garlicky for me and the seasonal vegetables were a little on the cold side and did not care for the herbs in it.Special Features:
- Excellent from start to finishIvanSchmetterlingDined on 8/2/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and was hoping for the best...which is just what we got. He had ahi poke to start followed by the cioppino, which was filled with crabmeat, shrimp, and fish in a deliciously spiced broth. I had oysters--the freshest and sweetest--and New England clam chowder which was creamy and flavorful. I followed that with the porcini dusted scallops with mushrooms. Oh my. Such a unique combination of the earthy mushrooms and sweet scallops. Delicious! Oh! and the gin martini with gorgonzola-stuffed olives was perfect! And we're martini snobs. We highly recommend Blue Water and will be returning with friends.Special Features:
- Miss The Old Boat House!!!CARLITO100Dined on 8/1/2014This place has lost its charm, from no tablecloths, the wait staff in jeans, and the cheap plastic LED table lamps. We used to go here for special occasions because the location is fantastic and the food was outstanding. The parmesan-crusted halibut is something that will be missed, and this coming from a non-fish eater. Under this new management the main dishes taste like frozen fast food preparation and were bland-tasting, from the soup appetizer to mud pie dessert. The menu is limited. Don’t ask for soup of the day or cappuccino, because there isn’t any. If it weren’t for the great location and view, this place would get zero stars. Why pay $30 for fast food? We won’t be gong back.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Our group of 7 went to the Bluewater Boathouse to celebrate our wedding anniversary while in Coronado for vacation. The food was great (especially loved their seared scallop appetizer!). The wine list had a nice selection of decently-priced bottles. Service was perfect. Will definitely go back to this restaurant during our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location... restaurant is okayJodyjaiDined on 7/30/2014We loved "1887 on the Bay" but I was not so impressed with the new Bluewater Boathouse. The food and service was average... not great as was 1887. The only reason I would recommend is because of the location, but not for the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/28/20143 of 4 dinners great. Salmon overlooked but they sent a mud pie comped as a make up. Service good - view wonderful. Location terrific.Special Features:
- It's OkdinnermojoDined on 7/27/2014For a restaurant under new ownership, it didn't wow me and there were plenty empty seats for 8pm. The investment in remodeling the dining area is well worth it, lovely new decor. Nice view, nice outdoor seating area. Overall, the food is "Ok". Food: They were out of Ahi which I had looked forward to. Ambience: There was no music playing or if there was it was so low it couldn't be heard. Service: Slower than it used to be but picked up as the evening went on. Lighting: either too dark or too bright, kept adjusting lights.Special Features:
- Great viewBobTVIPDined on 7/27/2014The snapper was very good as was the sampler plate. The ahi was seared to perfection but needed some type of sauce. The talapia with capers was a little on the dry side and came without capers. The service was very good. The restaurant's location is on the water and adds much to a diner's enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodkniz4Dined on 7/27/2014My husband and I went their for Sunday lunch. It wasn't packed and yet it had great food. Great find!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatesbalikestoeatDined on 7/25/2014Good Food, delicous Fish,good service nice view good atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mojitoDined on 7/25/2014just opened. fish was fresh and well prepared. still working out some service but generally a nice evening. Sat in the downstairs bar section between kitchen and main dining and it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudLovediningoutDined on 7/25/2014The food here was fine - nothing great, nothing terrible - but the noise level was unbearably loud making it almost impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table. That alone keeps me from recommending or returning to this restaurant.
- Boathouse CoronadomjsailingDined on 7/24/2014While not a spectacular 5-star restaurant, this was a solid place. The food was good, the fish fresh, reasonable service and price. It is a family dining place. It will be romantic as well so long as you do not require a cozy quiet or intimate table. Decor was boathouse, but fresh,nit dated even though the building is over 100 years old. Nice place...Special Features:
- Excellent fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014We have eaten here twice. The violin no was terrific as well as the cedar plank salmon. The New England clam chowder was reminiscent if a fine boston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View,Great FoodArtgeniusDined on 7/23/2014My husband and I wanted a nice dinner together,and this place was perfect! We shared a grilled artichoke with an amazing pesto sauce,followed by fresh grilled ahi. We had it with sauted spinach and homemade potato chips. It was just the right amount of food. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Just OkayPennimVIPDined on 7/22/2014Crab cakes were very good, but were barely warm. Told our waitress who said she would tell the chef, but nothing else. Mahi was good, fresh but pretty bland. Our waitress brought us some sauce which was tasty and helped to make the dish more flavorful. Key lime pie, despite our waitress's raving was good, not great. Otherwise, extremely noisy, and we felt a bit rushed. Probably won't be going back when we return to Coronado in August.
- Bluewater BoathouseSoCal56Dined on 7/21/2014My napkin had black stains on it, as did the napkin in the bread basket!!! Tried the signature margarita which ended up being terrible. It was supposed to have fresh lime juice and orange juice and Contreau of which it did not, it tasted just like a mix that comes in a bottle. My husbands Mai Tai was terrible too. We ordered a dozen raw oysters - mistake! They did not taste that great and one was bad! Horrible smell. After that things got better :) Our entrees were very nice. I had the prawn and scallop skewer - very fresh tasty and I love my sides of cole slaw and sauteed zucchini and squash. Our table also ordered an artichoke appetizer which they loved. Would come back to try it one more time.Special Features:
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/19/2014My scallops were very gritty but they apologized & took them off the bill. Couldn't ask for more than that. Have eaten here often & it's a great new neighbor!Special Features: