Blue Heron Steakhouse
185 Jefferson Street
Lexington, KY 40508Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Blue Heron Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blueheronsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (859) 254-2491
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Will Preston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Blue Heron Steakhouse
The Blue Heron Steakhouse is located in the thriving historic Jefferson Street corridor. We offer an excellent menu with steakhouse classics and modern Southern fare with specialties such as fresh oysters, the finest cuts of beef, shrimp and grits and more. Our restaurant started as a hand-crafted cocktail bar and consumer demand made it obvious that we needed to expand to a full-service kitchen. The Blue Heron is situated in a renovated home with exposed brick, a beautiful, locally crafted chandelier, a roaring two-sided fireplace in the colder months and an expansive patio for warmer weather. Locally owned and loaded with character, The Blue Heron is a perfect setting for an intimate date, an evening with friends or simply a casual dinner while watching the game.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Blue Heron Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
Blue Heron Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (27)romantic (21)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (8)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Wanted to love this place, but it was just OK. Cut of meat was good, but anyone can get that far. Woefully underseasoned, and sides were "meh." Server was friendly but fairly inattentive. For the price, I've had far better.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Excellent anniversary meal and a great time. They did confirm Saturday night reservation the day of, and for good reason as they ended up quite full. Cool atmosphere and they did acknowledge our anniversary which I noted in reservation. Specialty of the house, as I was told by friends, is the porterhouse steak for 2 served Peter Lugar style (as stated on the menu). Well, it was pretty far from Lugar's, but also pretty dag-gone good. I believe this porterhouse hunk of meat to have been wet-aged vs. Lugar's dry age process, but the flavor was still very, very good. We ordered rare+, and the steak was delivered perfectly. The plate, while very hot, was not quite the same in terms of searing heat and butter hot enough to cook the meat further, but it was perfect for us. And the flavor very, very good. So you get sides with this steak for 2 meal--we had Caesar salads, then I had fries and creamed spinach and the wife had baked potato. All very, very good and served in single portions (unlike the ala carte type steakhouses that would typically serve both ala carte and family style. But as a result, this place is much easier on the wallet, and we really thought we got a tremendous value. Total including 2 drinks each was $108 before tip, and I felt as if we'd just shared a $200 meal. Thanks. MikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Drinks, steaks, salads, and service were superb. Side items could use some work. Nothing original or outstanding (Fries, baked potato, steamed broccoli, etc). That was our only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific DinnerMarcCDined on 11/14/2014We enjoyed the Porterhouse steak for 2 served "Peter Luger" style and our server was excellent. Also had an opportunity to try Pappy Van Winkle 15 year and 20 year Bourbon from the bar. This restaurant is a must when in Lexington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great atmosphere - great food! We had the Porthouse and it was cooked to perfection. Can't wait to go back and try some other dishes.Special Features:
- Great foodMaddieDined on 10/18/2014Oysters and lamb were outstanding. Neat location and loved the fireplaces. Thanks a lot....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner with friendsdining4funDined on 10/18/2014My friends and I enjoyed our first visit to the Blue Heron on a recent Saturday night. We started by sharing the appetizer special, wonderful tempura-battered frog legs, served hot and crispy. Two of us had the fish special of the evening, an amazing grouper over roasted potatoes with a frisée on top and a light broth sauce. The other two had the bone-in prime rib, which was wonderful. The server was knowledgeable and attentive about the menu and the wine list. I'd definitely return again, most likely for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Ohhhh yeaaahhFillmyholeswithmeatDined on 10/18/2014Good steak. Good service. Great ambiance. Love this place. Ohh Yeah this is the good stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steakhouse Find in LexingtonJLHoyt78Dined on 10/16/2014Everything about this place I liked. From the perfect ambiance to the great food I'm really glad that we decided to eat at the Blue Heron. The service was spot on and eat course was perfectly timed. We went on at Thursday night so the place wasn't full but it was packed. The locally supplied steaks had great flavoring all by themselves so no sauces were needed but, they do offer some pretty good sauces if that's your thing. I highly recommend eating here and will definitely stop here anytime I'm in Lexington.Special Features:
- DebcarpyDined on 10/11/2014Our food was outstanding. My husband ordered one of the specials and it was great and had an amazing sauce and locally sourced mushrooms. We each had one of the signature cocktails which are hand crafted and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specials are great!Yummy2013Dined on 10/10/2014We had the prime rib special and the grouper special. Both were amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find in LexingtonBlueRidgeBillDined on 10/9/2014I have been in no better restaurant for food. The small cozy atmosphere did produce a rather loud environment as the place was completely filled. The personnel were all extremely friendly and helpful. The food excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD BUT NOT OUTSTANDINGTOMKATVIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant itself was quite lovely, although a bit close. Our waiter was very good and friendly. I had a filet of beef, which was good, but not outstanding. The flavor was just a little lackluster. My other 3 dining companions thought theirs was very good.
- Great food...but loud.OpenTable1210Dined on 10/3/2014While the food was very good & our server was attentive as well the noise was a bit much. We got to Blue Heron for an early dinner so they were fairly slow for the majority of our meal but we were seated right by the bar which was very distracting. The servers were tasting new drinks on the menu. I've always known that to be something done before a restaurant opens not during dinner service. Also, the bartenders made crushed ice for drinks by putting ice in a towel and banging it on the bar with a mallet. It was so loud & hard that you could feel the vibration on the table...very unprofessional. Not on my list on "must go to again" places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Is SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/2/2014This was our 5th trip to Blue Heron. It has become our favorite place. The chargrilled Oysters and Crab Cakes are excellent and you must try the bacon appetizer. The filet is the best in town with the Brussell sprouts. My only issue has been the sameeach time. The service is great however, it takes forever to get your drinks. This time we received appetizers before our drinks were served. There also, seems to be a lot of glasses dropped. This is a small issue and I am sure it will be addressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and food are excellent.HoopDined on 10/2/2014It is one of my favorite spots in Lexington. It can be difficult to have a conversation as the noise level can be high. For the non alcohol drinkers, there are some nice choices. The beef is excellent and in the winter the fireplace adds a cozy feeling. Can be hard to get a reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Bird BiteskaseyDined on 10/1/2014We had terrible service on a very slow Wed. night. The food was ok. The fried chicken was the best thing on the menu but it was served with gravy - no potatoes or rolls or anything else that should be served with fried chicken which was strange. The filets are fair. Loved the look of the place just so unimpressed by the service. It also had a weird entrance - had to walk past a group of drunks sitting on the porch dining area. Doubt I would go back.Special Features:
- Excellent meal, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/24/2014Had a great dinner with four others on a Wednesday evening. The food continues to be outstanding, combined with good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2014Service was excellent and food was delicious. Superb meal for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit. . .Shrop3483Dined on 9/4/2014. . . and ready to go back! Part of the Jefferson St. development in Lexington, KY, and sister restaurant to The Grey Goose, this restaurant offered a nice menu, great ambiance (albeit, a bit dark), and is an all-around nice place for a dinner, lunch. . .. to meet friends or a business associate.Special Features:
- Pricey!DinalotDined on 9/4/2014Expensive. Servings too large. Menu selections mainly beef. Pasta special also contained beef which was tasteless and tough. Unfortunately, no fish entree.Special Features:
- Love this place!Yummy2013Dined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dining experience. We had the specials but I think the pork loin chop ordered by someone at the table was the best of all of the plates I sampled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal!LexjghDined on 8/14/2014Everything we ate was good, and the portions were large. We both had the steak, and it was just how we liked it. But the drinks and dessert were the outstanding part of our meal! We'd definitely go there again! However, the music was so loud that I couldn't hear the waiter most of the time, and I felt like I had to yell everything I said.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant!MrSilverDined on 8/8/2014Blue Heron was absolutely wonderful! It's a small restaurant with a small menu, but they have mastered the dishes they offer. My husband and I split a porterhouse steak and it was cooked to perfection. The sides, the cocktails and the dessert were wonderful as well. From the moment I made our reservation to the moment we left the restaurant our experience was perfect. They even took the time to call to confirm our reservation and ask about any food allergies our group might have. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue HeronnelsstDined on 8/2/2014We went as part of restaurant week. The food was good - not great, but good. It was extremely loud even at 9pm and the service was very slow. I realize that it was probably busier as it was the last night of restaurant week, but the service was not up to par.Special Features:
- Blue Heron scores againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Had another great meal during restaurant week. Enjoyed everything as usual, especially the extra dessert we ordered (pork belly!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty awesomeFoodiegirlDined on 7/30/2014Service was outstanding. The food was very good, but they should upgrade the bread, which was average compared to the meal. Start with angels on horseback, delicious oysters! Melon gazpacho needed more heat from the jalapeño. The bone-in cowboy ribeye was huge, prepared perfectly, and incredibly tender. Baked potato and grilled summer squash were great, the squash was tender, not overdone. For dessert, the profiteroles - 3 delectable pastries split, filled with vanilla ice cream, drizzled with warm bittersweet chocolate sauce. Let me say the cocktails are the best in town. The bartender knows what he is doing. I had a Hendricks Tom Collins, it was perfect, and hand delivered to our table by the bartender himself. Loved our waiter Ben!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunitySqueeze77Dined on 7/30/2014A fraction of the meal for the full price is not the logo for Lexington Restaurant week. Service was great, the deck was wonderful but the paltry offerings were an embarrassment compared to other places we went over the past 10 days.pSpecial Features:
- The following 46 reviews are from the Blue Heron Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Ordinary DinnersandmanDined on 7/26/2014We were greeted immediately upon arriving and seated at a table that was too close to other tables around us. I wanted to sit next to my wife but had to sit across from her because my chair would have butted up against another table's chair. The atmosphere was cordial but the noise level was far to loud which required me to speak loudly to be heard or to hear. The Porterhouse for two was not seasoned very well and tasted bland. Our sides were just ordinary baked potatoes and house salads. The creme brule was prepared perfectly and was the highlight of the meal. We will probably return and try lunch but will definitely dine outside on the patio where it would be much more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the chef!MikeDined on 7/25/2014Creativity in the specials. Loved the farm to table tomato bacon appetizer with the awesome sauce. Red snapper, clams, lardons, celery leaves and more made that special outstanding. Plus local summer squash and potatoes for the fries.Special Features:
- Wonderful addition to JeffersonSkidsDined on 7/24/2014Wife and I went during restaurant week and had a excellent experience. Will be a frequent date night spot from now on!!! Flourless chocolate tort is to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never even got to try the food!!!BluegrassCyclerDined on 7/19/2014We made reservations at least a month ago for Blue Heron. When we arrived at the restaurant, the table that were giving us was in the middle of the room in a major circulation path from the front door. My husband is 6'-6" and I knew it wouldn't work. There was an empty two-top by a window and I requested that table. I was told it was reserved. Well, we had a reservation too and we were there and that table was empty! We have been loyal patrons of the Grey Goose restaurant family. We may never go back to either place again. We were really looking forward to our evening, however it was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- First Visit, not lastBammDined on 7/9/2014Great steak prepared to perfection with an excellent bearnaise. The menu is varied enough and quite manageable with interesting special offerings. This nite a crab cake app was offered and the best in Lexington. The Brie app was a delight. Beautiful bar and rustic interior. L.T. was a master server. Salad dressings need improvement and food came from kitchen a tad slow, only minimal adjustments required. All in all, a great dinner and we look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- odd but tastypointguardwannabeDined on 7/8/2014Really good food. A little pricey. Strange to have TVs a la sports bar, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetodineoutDined on 7/5/2014Great as usual however they always have a hard time finding our reservations.....even though they called to confirm the same day.Special Features:
- Another great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014It is always difficult to pick from a large number of excellent dishes. We had a series of appetizers and salads, all of which were outstanding. Just a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time , will be back!MikesdateDined on 6/21/2014Great ambience, great food and mixed drinks...definite wow factor. We wouldn't have known this place exists, just saw it featured on TV and so glad we did. Had the porterhouse for two and it was one of the best steaks we have had in years! The bacon appetizer sounded different so we had to try it, and we were not disappointed. This is a definite date place. If I had one suggestion, they need a better sign out front; it's hard to spot from the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EVER!maverickvVIPDined on 6/20/2014Not only do the bartenders make the most incredible drinks...the food was superb! Wonderful night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service. Great foodJimmyMDined on 6/20/2014Our 40 oz. porterhouse steak for two with four sides was exactly as advertised. Steak was cooked medium. Sides were fresh and generous. Server was excellent attending to our needs. We are going back to try some other entrees we took note of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why the TVsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/13/2014Really Great food exvellent cocktails place very cool inside exposed brick wood, but obnoxious TVs ruin the ambience. Have been 3 different times with 3 separate groups everyone always commented in a negative way about the TVs. They are distracting and take away from the very nice interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.