Blue Heron Steakhouse
185 Jefferson Street
Lexington, KY 40508Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Blue Heron Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blueheronsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8592542491x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Will Preston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Blue Heron Steakhouse
The Blue Heron Steakhouse is located in the thriving historic Jefferson Street corridor. We offer an excellent menu with steakhouse classics and modern Southern fare with specialties such as fresh oysters, the finest cuts of beef, shrimp and grits and more. Our restaurant started as a hand-crafted cocktail bar and consumer demand made it obvious that we needed to expand to a full-service kitchen. The Blue Heron is situated in a renovated home with exposed brick, a beautiful, locally crafted chandelier, a roaring two-sided fireplace in the colder months and an expansive patio for warmer weather. Locally owned and loaded with character, The Blue Heron is a perfect setting for an intimate date, an evening with friends or simply a casual dinner while watching the game.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Blue Heron Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
Blue Heron Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (22)hot spot (18)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First time visit. . .Shrop3483Dined on 9/4/2014. . . and ready to go back! Part of the Jefferson St. development in Lexington, KY, and sister restaurant to The Grey Goose, this restaurant offered a nice menu, great ambiance (albeit, a bit dark), and is an all-around nice place for a dinner, lunch. . .. to meet friends or a business associate.Special Features:
- Pricey!DinalotDined on 9/4/2014Expensive. Servings too large. Menu selections mainly beef. Pasta special also contained beef which was tasteless and tough. Unfortunately, no fish entree.Special Features:
- Love this place!Yummy2013Dined on 8/30/2014Wonderful dining experience. We had the specials but I think the pork loin chop ordered by someone at the table was the best of all of the plates I sampled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal!LexjghDined on 8/14/2014Everything we ate was good, and the portions were large. We both had the steak, and it was just how we liked it. But the drinks and dessert were the outstanding part of our meal! We'd definitely go there again! However, the music was so loud that I couldn't hear the waiter most of the time, and I felt like I had to yell everything I said.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant!MrSilverDined on 8/8/2014Blue Heron was absolutely wonderful! It's a small restaurant with a small menu, but they have mastered the dishes they offer. My husband and I split a porterhouse steak and it was cooked to perfection. The sides, the cocktails and the dessert were wonderful as well. From the moment I made our reservation to the moment we left the restaurant our experience was perfect. They even took the time to call to confirm our reservation and ask about any food allergies our group might have. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue HeronnelsstDined on 8/2/2014We went as part of restaurant week. The food was good - not great, but good. It was extremely loud even at 9pm and the service was very slow. I realize that it was probably busier as it was the last night of restaurant week, but the service was not up to par.Special Features:
- Blue Heron scores againOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Had another great meal during restaurant week. Enjoyed everything as usual, especially the extra dessert we ordered (pork belly!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty awesomeFoodiegirlDined on 7/30/2014Service was outstanding. The food was very good, but they should upgrade the bread, which was average compared to the meal. Start with angels on horseback, delicious oysters! Melon gazpacho needed more heat from the jalapeño. The bone-in cowboy ribeye was huge, prepared perfectly, and incredibly tender. Baked potato and grilled summer squash were great, the squash was tender, not overdone. For dessert, the profiteroles - 3 delectable pastries split, filled with vanilla ice cream, drizzled with warm bittersweet chocolate sauce. Let me say the cocktails are the best in town. The bartender knows what he is doing. I had a Hendricks Tom Collins, it was perfect, and hand delivered to our table by the bartender himself. Loved our waiter Ben!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunitySqueeze77Dined on 7/30/2014A fraction of the meal for the full price is not the logo for Lexington Restaurant week. Service was great, the deck was wonderful but the paltry offerings were an embarrassment compared to other places we went over the past 10 days.pSpecial Features:
- Ordinary DinnersandmanDined on 7/26/2014We were greeted immediately upon arriving and seated at a table that was too close to other tables around us. I wanted to sit next to my wife but had to sit across from her because my chair would have butted up against another table's chair. The atmosphere was cordial but the noise level was far to loud which required me to speak loudly to be heard or to hear. The Porterhouse for two was not seasoned very well and tasted bland. Our sides were just ordinary baked potatoes and house salads. The creme brule was prepared perfectly and was the highlight of the meal. We will probably return and try lunch but will definitely dine outside on the patio where it would be much more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the chef!MikeDined on 7/25/2014Creativity in the specials. Loved the farm to table tomato bacon appetizer with the awesome sauce. Red snapper, clams, lardons, celery leaves and more made that special outstanding. Plus local summer squash and potatoes for the fries.Special Features:
- Wonderful addition to JeffersonSkidsDined on 7/24/2014Wife and I went during restaurant week and had a excellent experience. Will be a frequent date night spot from now on!!! Flourless chocolate tort is to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never even got to try the food!!!BluegrassCyclerDined on 7/19/2014We made reservations at least a month ago for Blue Heron. When we arrived at the restaurant, the table that were giving us was in the middle of the room in a major circulation path from the front door. My husband is 6'-6" and I knew it wouldn't work. There was an empty two-top by a window and I requested that table. I was told it was reserved. Well, we had a reservation too and we were there and that table was empty! We have been loyal patrons of the Grey Goose restaurant family. We may never go back to either place again. We were really looking forward to our evening, however it was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- First Visit, not lastBammDined on 7/9/2014Great steak prepared to perfection with an excellent bearnaise. The menu is varied enough and quite manageable with interesting special offerings. This nite a crab cake app was offered and the best in Lexington. The Brie app was a delight. Beautiful bar and rustic interior. L.T. was a master server. Salad dressings need improvement and food came from kitchen a tad slow, only minimal adjustments required. All in all, a great dinner and we look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- odd but tastypointguardwannabeDined on 7/8/2014Really good food. A little pricey. Strange to have TVs a la sports bar, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetodineoutDined on 7/5/2014Great as usual however they always have a hard time finding our reservations.....even though they called to confirm the same day.Special Features:
- Another great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014It is always difficult to pick from a large number of excellent dishes. We had a series of appetizers and salads, all of which were outstanding. Just a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time , will be back!MikesdateDined on 6/21/2014Great ambience, great food and mixed drinks...definite wow factor. We wouldn't have known this place exists, just saw it featured on TV and so glad we did. Had the porterhouse for two and it was one of the best steaks we have had in years! The bacon appetizer sounded different so we had to try it, and we were not disappointed. This is a definite date place. If I had one suggestion, they need a better sign out front; it's hard to spot from the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EVER!maverickvDined on 6/20/2014Not only do the bartenders make the most incredible drinks...the food was superb! Wonderful night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service. Great foodJimmyMDined on 6/20/2014Our 40 oz. porterhouse steak for two with four sides was exactly as advertised. Steak was cooked medium. Sides were fresh and generous. Server was excellent attending to our needs. We are going back to try some other entrees we took note of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why the TVsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Really Great food exvellent cocktails place very cool inside exposed brick wood, but obnoxious TVs ruin the ambience. Have been 3 different times with 3 separate groups everyone always commented in a negative way about the TVs. They are distracting and take away from the very nice interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Heron ReviewfrequentdinerDined on 6/7/2014Excellent food and service. The second time we ate here and had a great meal both times.Special Features:
- another nice dinnerkfwf4882Dined on 6/7/2014The service was outstanding. The night we were there they had crab cakes on the special menu. I wish they would add them to the daily menu.... Best in Lexington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinersNewFoodLoverDined on 6/7/2014Jefferson St is quickly becoming the new hotspot. The crab cake was AMAZING. The steaks were flavorful. I only wish they offered a ribeye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome discoveryGeecheegirlVIPDined on 6/6/2014We were visitors to Lexington and found Blue Heron on Open Table. It is relaxed yet offers good food prepared perfectly with professional service. Loved the thick-cut bacon appetizer. We had steaks but the other entrees were tempting. If I lived in Lexington I'd return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Excellent steaks and sides. This was our second visit to Blue Heron and were again pleased with the food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerBonvivantDined on 5/30/2014The staff at the Blue Heron was fabulous. They knew exactly when to be seen and when to give us privacy. A high level of service with as minimal interruptions as possible. The menu offered some creative options we felt like trying. The porkbelly appetizer was definitely amazing. The carpaccio was slightly too thick cut for my liking but my husband loved it. We shared the porterhouse steak for 2 which was cooked to perfection and one of the better steaks I have had in town. The 4 sides provided a fully set table of food. The creme brulee was a bit liquidy but tasted excellent. I recommend the coffee and of course the craft cocktails. We will definitely be back. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceFoodie1210Dined on 5/30/2014When we were finally waited on, the drinks took forever. They were warm and just ok. I don't know about you, but a martini needs to be very cold. Mixed drinks need lots of ice. A bottle of red wine is the thing to get here. Already room temp and can pour yourself.
- Wonderful dining experience!FoodieGigiDined on 5/24/2014We went for our anniversary dinner and dining here was superb. Our server, Katia, was very knowledgable on both the food and drink menus. The selection of beer, wine and cocktails would satisfy an wide range of taste. We had the Porterhouse for two; the steak was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful and tender. My husband also had oysters on the half she'll which he said were very good. I had creme brûlée for dessert and it was fantastic; hard to find this dessert, especially done right, and this one hit the nail on the head. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kuklariDined on 5/24/2014What a difference a day makes, first time visit great, this time sucked. Waiter was a boor and food was poor. Fish special was fishy, bacon app was greasy. Overall sad!
- Excellent dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The steaks, sides and appetizer were superb. Our server was attentive and had good suggestions. She told us the hand- cut fries were excellent and she was right.Special Features:
- The following 24 reviews are from the Blue Heron Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Great food, fun placeHungryManDined on 5/15/2014I really enjoyed the Blue Heron and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants to visit a special restaurant in Lexington. The food was outstanding and it's situated in an up-and-coming hip neighborhood...so you feel like you're walking up to a good friend's house when you enter instead of a clearly very high-end restaurant. The drawbacks: kind of tough to find a place to park (my business partner' car was actually towed during dinner because we had to park a couple blocks away and--unknowingly--in a permit-only lot), and the ambient noise was a little too high which made it difficult to hear our soft-spoken (but very passionate about his job!) waiter. That said, it was a great place and I'd love to go back.Special Features:
- 60th Birthday DinnerkuklariDined on 5/10/2014Great food & atmosphere! We were there for my wife's 60th birthday. Quiet celebration with just the two of us. Crab cake app was killer, as were the roasted oysters. Both had steaks. My strip was very good. My wife got the filet, which is always not cooked to her liking at other restaurants. Done perfectly for her here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablebaileyDined on 4/25/2014The food and the ambience were great. We ordered the blackened NY strip, creamed spinach, and baked potato.Special Features:
- fresh and fabulousLexdinerVIPDined on 4/16/2014Wonderful evening! Fresh salmon from Washington state. Generous portions, great service. Cozy and warm with a fireplace. Nice wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time visit!SDicken179VIPDined on 4/12/2014Great first time visit! Nice decor, great food. A bit slow but. With Keenland running and prom night, understandable Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceBS88Dined on 4/12/2014This was our first time at Blue Herron. We enjoyed it tremendously! I had the filet and several folks in our group got prime rib. One of my new favorite steaks in Lexington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soParttimedinerDined on 4/4/2014Had to send a 55 dollar steak back because it was not even close to being cooked to order. So instead of a new steak I think they micro waved it. To many Tvs for fine dining and to expensive for a sports bar.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014Diner with my wife on Thursday night was great. The decor of brick, wood and fireplace is wonderful. The food and service was exceptional. Treated super by Jeff the manager and the entire staff. As an added bonus it was raining and we were assisted in finding a close parking spot by Mike. All in all a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food & excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/2/2014Tried a variety of appetizers & salads, all of which were great. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.