639 J St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theblindburro.com/
- Phone: 6197957880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Wednesday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Sara Polcynski, Todd Nash
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th
- Public Transit: There is a trolley station that stops on Broadway, which is 6 blocks northeast of us. The main bus route comes right down Market Street which is two blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in the heart of the East Village neighborhood just of the Gaslamp in downtown San Diego. We are one block from the baseball stadium. There is pleny of metered street parking and alot of both private and public pay lots.
A word from Blind Burro
The Blind Burro specializes in fresh, coastal Baja Mexican cuisine. Our emphasis is on quality, from the customer service, to the ingredients we use in all of our hand crafted food and drinks. We want our guests to enjoy Baja Mexican fare right here in East Village, San Diego. Come in and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere where you can meet over a carafe of spicy margaritas or on tap house sangria. . Or try us for lunch with clients while enjoying steak tacos and a quinoa mixed green salad. We are also steps from Padres baseball stadium, so come in before or after the game for some Craft Beer straight from Mexicali and a terrific local craft selection! Hope to see you soon in the unique, airy and comfortable environment we have created for you in downtown San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Blind Burro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Blind Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Classic taqueriaPDubVIPDined on 7/22/2014Excellent casual Mexican food and drinks right near the ballpark.Special Features:
- Awesome Baja Style TacosTimGDined on 7/19/2014Angus Skirt Steak Baja Style Tacos were great! Fun place to dine and have some drinks prior to the Padre game.Special Features:
- Perfect restaurant/bar in GasLampgarageLeeDined on 7/18/2014I brought my fiancé here for dinner on her birthday and we had a great time overall. The tacos were not exceptional, but they were more than edible (I had the beer battered mahi and my fiancé had chicken). The street corn off the cob was absolutely amazing and is a must-have if you're getting a side. There is also a crispy tortilla pizza that's great as an appetizer. We had the brownies for dessert, but they were cold and dry (definitely not baked fresh on site); they left something more to be desired, and we bet the churros are a better choice. All of that being said, great restaurant, great staff, awesome scenery and environment right in the popular GasLamp district. Do yourself a favor and check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/27/2014Marginal mexican food with a limited menu for mexican items
- Helpful to a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014We had a group dinner at Blind Burro in which a lot more people showed up than we originally expected. The restaurant and staff were accommodating in getting everyone (15 people) seated at a big table. They kindly split up the bill and gave everyone a receipt. We were visiting from Washington DC and it was nice to have some progressive Mexican food! It was recommended by the concierge at our hotel (the Hilton Bayfront) and it was a great fit for our purpose!Special Features:
- great place after the 1/2 marathonrunnersDined on 6/1/2014guac espacial, with chorizo, amazing. mole tacos, chicken tinga burger, pear margarita, great hostess and service. period.Special Features:
- Top of the Line Mexican!MattDined on 5/27/2014One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in San Diego. Great food, excellent service, daily food and drink specials. When there try the Cadillac Margarita.....my personal favorite! ENJOY!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot!Spamomof2Dined on 5/17/2014We arrived at 7:30 to an energetic crowd at the bars and outside. Our table was not quite ready so we sat at the bar for skinny margaritas (awesome). Guac was super fresh and yummy. Black bean squash cakes rock! Thought the lobster and grilled dorado tacos needed some additional spice or something.would def go again.Special Features:
- Love the BurroShtankyDined on 5/16/2014Fresh Chips, great Margaritas, and Lobster Taco's with their home made Habanero Hot Sauce is just what you need to watch the game. If you come to watch the game there are multiple tvs at the bar, but if you want to just come and hang out there's the rest of the bar/restaurant to hang out in without the distraction of a television. If you're a Hot Head, the Habanero Hot Sauce they make is first class, I wish the bottled it! If you order some you'll want to take the rest home with you. For a buck you can't go wrong. This was my favorite hang out while in San Diego for business. Can NOT wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Blind BurroMeggalDined on 5/11/2014For the most part we enjoyed our dinner however, our Guacamole was so salty that we could not enjoy it. We asked for another batch, but the server said that there was only one batch. The chips were not my favorite either so maybe it was the wrong restaurant for me and one of our party who agreed, but everyone enjoyed their meal so it was not a total miss. I had steak tacos that were light and tasty. Very fresh. The location was perfect and within walking distance of our hotel - Hilton Bayside.Special Features:
- The Burro Always Rocks!Victory19Dined on 5/5/2014This is hands down one of the best restaurants in San Diego! The food is fantastic! The drinks are great! The atmosphere is so inviting! There is a lot of bang for your buck here! They are always adding new food items and drink specials while keeping their signature items in heavy rotation. My kids love to come here and my husband likes to have date night here as well. It fits the bill for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly mehsturdaburnsyDined on 4/29/2014I read a ton of reviews that suggested this was a hot spot in San Diego. It must be a popular weekend or post-game (Padres) hang out and maybe a general sports bar, because when we went at 9:30pm on a Tuesday night, it was DEAD. The food was okay, although I had higher hopes in a city known for some great Mexican food. Drinks were also okay, especially at late-night happy hour prices. I might go back again if I was with a group or in town for an event, and I would make a point to sample some tequillas next time - they seemed to have an extensive selection. Otherwise, though, it felt pretty run-of-the-mill. I wouldn't go back for the food or the atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 78 reviews are from the Blind Burro reviews archive.
- Good casual Mexican foodDaveHVIPDined on 4/26/2014While they are a bit pricey for Mexican food, the atmosphere is very good. The food was also believable, but not Aaron Sanchez type. We started off with the ceviche which was very good. My salmon taco was excellent. My colleague said his skirt steak was also very good. But for a Mexican restaurant, it should cost $20. They have very good drinks and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Hit and missGeoffVIPDined on 3/31/2014Good burger but bad service. Would think twice before returningI would recommend this to a friend.
- timing is everythingartistaDined on 3/30/2014I made my reservation several weeks in advance because it was my first time in San Diego and I wanted to make certain I had lined up some interesting places to eat. I had wanted a place to meet someone I hadn't seen in awhile. I did not know that it was opening night for the San Diego Padres. Initially, there seemed to be confusion as to whether I could have a table because they were so busy. However, I was seated in the back, which seemed to be the quietest spot possible. I settled in and had a good drink and some coffee-rubbed salmon tacos. They were very good. If it was a different night, I would have loved to stick around and try some new tequilas and mescal from their extensive list.Special Features:
- Great place with spicy foodCaliforniaCubanDined on 3/28/2014My date and I loved all the cute pictures of donkeys on the wall, and the friendly service. My only issue was how both my food, and my dates food was very hot & spicy. We just might have gotten unlucky and picked the spiciest plates on the menu. We will be trying this place again in the future to see if The Blind Burro has less spicy food.Special Features:
- Great experienceRobynVIPDined on 3/22/2014We went out to Blind Burro for a mini bachelorette party dinner and this was the perfect spot. Fun scene, great service, killer drinks, awesome food. (The girls were still talking about the nachos the next day.) One of the girls was pregnant thrilled that they had a non alcoholic beer on the menu so she could semi-participate. My salad came out wrong and the waitress was AMAZING about taking it back and getting me a new one very quickly. (We had the best server ever. She was super sweet, the exact right amount of attentive and even though they were slammed- she never let us feel the stress.) The bar next door even hooked us up with a celebratory Scorpion Bowl. All in all, great spot for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite neighborhood spotAIshDined on 3/21/2014Food is great, bartenders are very friendly - awesome vibe and best margaritas in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!FabSDWeekendDined on 3/21/2014We had a great time here. They have nice variety on the menu including things you don't find many places. I had the yellowtail fish collar which was very good. The chorizo taquitos were a great appetizer too. Service was good but could have been better. Wait was too long for drinks and water refills plus a waiter spilled some soda on me but no big deal. All in all good place and would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican in GaslampVeryCarrieDined on 3/15/2014The service was great and friendly, but we found the menu a bit limiting. No burritos and no enchiladas. I ordered tacos and my husband, a sandwich/tortas. We dined with friends on a Saturday night-- the restaurant was busy and loud which made it kid-friendly for us with our toddler, but a challenge to chat over dinner.Special Features:
- Noisy but yummyFocabrancaDined on 3/15/2014Food is pretty solid, at the Blind Burro, but don't go there for an intimate evening. It's great for a group of friends looking to be rowdy and whoop it up, though. Second time there, and both times I had the hamachi collar. Small enough for two but big enough for four. I've had their pozole, ceviche, skirt steak tacos, and the carnitas. All were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a terrific experience!MarciDined on 3/15/2014We love The Blind Burro! They've added a few great items to the menu! The coffee rubbed salmon tacos and the Mexican salad are great additions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego visitVeeCeeDined on 2/28/2014We were promptly seated and they found our reservation instantly. The place was full and vibrant with a nice beat playing in the background. The food was very good and extremely tasty. Great tacos. The service was good.Special Features:
- Okay food. Churros were yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014Dinner was only ok. Oysters were tasty, tacos were soggy. Vegetarian options were limited and not cohesive flavors. Margaritas were good, but quite small. The best part of dinner was the churros. If you only go here for those it's worth it.
- Tasty Drinks and Foodamp1919Dined on 2/23/2014We went there since it was around the block from the hotel where we were staying. The drinks and food were great! It's conveniently located if you're in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very average.. AmbienceRgk23VIPDined on 2/19/2014Food was very average.. Ambience was good. Service was very slow. The salsas and guacamole for a mexican restaurant was rather flavorless.
- No blinders needed! Bonito!DineOBitesDined on 2/18/2014I'm pretty sure I've dined here now at least 10 times. I have enjoyed every morsel and every bite! Lobster tacos, garlic-chile crab claws (amazing and not spicy hot, but spicy great!), collar, bacon wrapped jalapenos, tacos of every kind. What I love the most about The Blind Burro is the clean and fresh taste of the food. Chef Sara has a true gift to make every flavor pop in your mouth without being audacious and snotty food. It's true the menu reflects the ethos of the every day .... I could eat here every day and that is saying A LOT for this diner.Special Features:
- Awesome quality food !! WaitJennyVIPDined on 2/16/2014Awesome quality food !! Wait staff is very slow and no attentive .I would recommend this to a friend.
- The vegetarian items wereRamcDined on 2/14/2014The vegetarian items were awesome - Kenoa salad, a stuffed pepper dish (forget the name) with mole sauce - How do you guys make the sauce? and the desert Crepe!! It was amazing!! The carafe of margarita was good as well. I stopped counting calories right after my salad.. Will be there again definitely!Special Features:
- Group Evening OutJoanieDined on 2/12/2014Enjoyed the food and drinks. Service was sometimes slow and the noise level really made it difficult to talk with everyone at our table.Special Features:
- Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/30/2014There were 7 of us and we were seated but it took a long time for us to get drinks and just when we wanted to place our orders, another big table sat and we had to wait for our server. Our food took forever and when they finally brought it out, we got 6 orders and then the other big table started getting their food! We waited another good 5 minutes for the 7th meal and that meal was too salty to eat. We got the management to remove it from the bill but I think he only did that because we were seriously grumpy at this point and he didn't want to push it. It was 8 pm on a Thu and they were playing club music, LOUD, this is still dinner hours, right???? Between two other big tables and the music, we couldn't hear ourselves think.Special Features:
- Your perfect and I want more.FrankFranDined on 1/24/2014The popper tacos were perfect and I want more. The the steak torta had huge flavor. Don't believe me, just go and taste for your self.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bone vibratingpaulDined on 1/21/2014The noise level was ridiculous. Loud music with heavy base made it nearly impossible to converse. Requests to turn down volume were totally ignored. Service slow, food OK, not great.
- Restaurant WeekSallyDined on 1/21/2014It was a very good value for Restaurant Week. We were especially impressed with the perfectly cooked pork tenderloin and delicious mole sauce. I liked have them separate so that I could dip the pork in the sauce. We also ordered the salsa flight and all the salsa were very tasty. We are sensitive to noise and this had a very well-controlled noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, uniqueOutofTownerDined on 1/19/2014Food was very good, unique blends of great Mexican favorites with a twist of the unexpected. Our group thought it was terrific. The only issue we had was that it took over an hour for our food to come out - our reservation was at 730 and our food didn't come out until after 830. It was delicious however.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at the Blind BurroThomVIPDined on 1/19/2014We ate at the Blind Burro during restaurant week. Our first impression was that we made a mistake - it appeared to be just another loud, dimly lit gaslamp bar. So we were surprised that the food was actually very good and creatively prepared - except for the tortilla chips which were very greasy and tough. It was so loud that we had a hard time hearing and communicating with our waitress, so that must mean that a lot of people were enjoying this place. We will probably not return, but others who like an energetic bar crowd and better food than most bars will find this place to their liking.
- uniquemygalsalDined on 1/19/2014Casual atmosphere belies the gourmet Mexican cuisine. Took advantage of their Restaurant Week lunch: appetizer and entree for $10. More than we could eat! Warm goat cheese in a pepito seed crust on toasted baguette slices. Heavenly. Loved the chicken popper tacos…original…who woulda' thought! Warm reception and service. Will be back to try more of their unique cuisine. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedmumzVIPDined on 1/4/2014Tacos were not very flavorful, we had chicken & shrimp, they tasted like they had been boiled not grilled, the fried fish tacos was very heavily battered...
- This is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/3/2014This is a great restaurant in east village with great drinks, salsa, tacos, and happy hour. It is not a dive bar/restaurant, but an upscale, fun restaurant with great vibe and decor. I do have a complaint that I was not given my open table dining points recently when I specifically asked at check in.Special Features:
- great New Years!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013our group of 4 ladies was treated well and had a wonderful time !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.