Bistro Twenty Seven
27 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Twenty Seven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrotwentyseven.com/
- Phone: 8047800086x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can accommodate all party sizes, onsite and offsite, up to 500 people. Please contact William Wright, General Manager, at 804.780.0086.
- Private Party Facilities: Two separate areas for up to 36 people and 70 people, depending on size of group. Bar and patio dining available on request.
Please contact William Wright, General Manager, at 804.780.0086.
- Private Party Contact: William Wright 8047800086x
A word from Bistro Twenty Seven
Bistro Twenty Seven is a lively European bistro located in downtown Richmond, Virginia at the corner of Broad and Adams. With our floor-to-ceiling, wrap around windows and airy 20 foot ceilings, Twenty Seven offers a dining experience like no other in Richmond. Our menu is influenced by the hearty, healthy cuisines of Italy and France and features something for everyone’s taste. Twenty Seven’s wine lists ranges from inexpensive, little known gems to world class award winners. We are just a blocks away from downtown hotels including Marriott, Jefferson Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn and more. Parking is free, just one block away, during dinner hours only at the corner of Adam and Grace Street, in the southwest corner. Look for the Bistro 27 sign.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Twenty Seven reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)fit for foodies (26)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (13)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Definite favorite!VTgalDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food and service! Perfect pre-theater dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014This was our first visit to Bistro 27. We both had the salmon; prepared as we ordered. Overall, the meal and the service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is a very good restaurant; conveniently located to downtown events. Go there whenever we can. Good food; good service; nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unmatched menusbdmtDined on 9/19/2014After reviewing the on- line menu, we arrived at the restaurant to find the chef had changed and the on- line menu was no longer available. Our waiter stated we were the fourth couple to comment about the change!!! Would you not think that would be a clue to delete the menu that is unavailable? Thus we were disappointed in the current menu which basically offered mashed potatoes and basic vegetables with all entrees that were not pasta. That's not to say our food was not good but we were looking for something different.
- pgg1313VIPDined on 9/13/2014William and his staff always do a fantastic job, love the new decor and the new menu.Special Features:
- Another Terrific ExperienceChaccofVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is our fourth or fifth visit in the last six months. Working our way through the many terrific choices on the menu. Try the risotto rice balls.Special Features:
- Highly recommendeddharveyDined on 9/12/2014What a gem! Upscale but not snooty. Staff was extremely attentive and accommodating. Food was top-notch. We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Apparently Bistro 27 failed to inform opentable that the restaurant would be closed Aug 31, the Sunday before Labor Day. So, um, we went to Bamboo Cafe which was pretty good. But Bistro 27 still looks enticing. You may disregard my ratings because I couldn't send the email without filling them out.
- Nice atmosphere, food tasty but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The fried calimari was enjoyable, very lightly fried, I would have preferred a more golden hue, very pale and anemic looking but tasty and not soggy. The steak which was requested to be "medium rare... more on the rare side"... was actually closer to medium with a hint... hint of pink. But again the taste was good. "Whipped" potatoes were in reality, mashed with chunks of barely cooked enough potato. Chunks not small bits. But, once again they were tasty. Creme Brulee was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude owner and serverFionaDined on 8/25/2014We arrived to Bistro 27 with high hopes and we were greeted by a old heavy set man who is the owner William Wright who looked like a pedafil with a ungroomed beard and white stains on the back off his pants. He was abrupt and short and acting like he didn't didn't want to seat us because it was 9:40pm. We finally get seated and our server Michael seemed unhappy to be there it was like being serviced by a corpse. He rambled off the specials and took our order and that is basically all he did. We had to ask for drink refills and were never asked how our meal was. My husband had the bolognese and I had the chargrilled chicken which was good. We were never asked if we wanted dessert or coffee. We felt rushed. Needless to say we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The waiter we had was very personable. He made sure to come by and check on you and offered suggestions. I don't eat pork and for breakfast they do not have any breakfast substitutes. I ended up ordering the waffle which comes with a fried egg and fruit. The fruit was fresh and the egg was ok. However that waffle was extremely dry. I had my 3 year old niece with me and she wouldn't even eat it. The restaurant the entire time had only us and maybe 2 or three other tables there. The manager came over after we were finish to clean the table off and asked about our food then.Special Features:
- Fishy FishBuddyVIPDined on 8/10/2014My wife ordered fish. The smell was too much. Told waiter. He ignored us. Been here several times, but will not go back!!!
- Not recommendedDisappointedDined on 8/10/2014Ordered well done and got rare! On line menu says one thing and restaurant says different and waiter said never had item on brunch menu.
- Good brunch placeColgateDined on 8/10/2014Although it's not as good as with the other owners, our brunch was very good. I had the mussels, which were very tasty, plentiful and accompanied with toasted rye bread to soak up the extra sauce and sausage.Special Features:
- Best meal we've had in a long time!1stTimeReviewerDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I took a weekend getaway in Richmond and as part of our package received a gift certificate to Bistro Twenty Seven. We checked their website and were very interested, so we made a reservation. We arrived a bit early but were seated right away. The service was prompt and very friendly, and we enjoyed chatting with out waiter about the selections. Our calamari and arancini appetizers were outstanding, and our meals (scallops for her, farm chicken for me) were just perfect -- bright, flavorful, and delicious. We will return to Bistro Twenty Seven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Changes after "Relaunch"RVAEATOUTDined on 8/5/2014We were excited to come back after the "relaunch." However, just different lipstick on the same pig. VERY rushed to order--even in an almost empty restaurant. Waiter interrupting and not waiting for a pause in conversation. Oversold "special" that is just average that arrives differently than sold by the waiter with only "I'm sorry" as an excuse. I would think with so many other dining options, they would appreciate customers who have been patient. What is it about this place? I just don't know.
- wonderful.shgreenDined on 8/3/2014Food was wonderful. Owner waited on us and he couldn't have been more accomodating. Found thru trip advisor.. booked thru open table. Entire experience was incredible. We don't live close by but went for Redskins trading camp, should I say I went for the food!!! not the camp. Will definitely revisit Bistro 21 next summer. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- monkDined on 8/3/2014I have dined at Bistro 27 for dinner, and the food was very good. But make a good omelet is not its forte.
- Less than smoothdobrmunzDined on 8/2/2014Service was less than smooth. Waiter seemed to only be able to respond in one word sentences and seemed put off at times. A request for more bread almost seemed too much to ask for. Portion sizes of the pasta dishes varied greatly from whopping to downright small. The shrimp linguini was so overpowered with fennel I originally thought it was pasta. Not good. I might give it one more chance, but just one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannonball Run?DakotaDined on 8/2/2014LOVED B27 - a go-to for bringing guests. But this was disappointing. We arrived on time for our reservation, looked fwd to B27's usual good food/service. Great arancini & calamari, wish we had more good comments. But the host was abrupt, kitchen sent wrong dish, pasta bolognese was unpleasant enough not to finish, still half-full dinner plate whisked away without asking. We were rushed through from start to finish, no time to enjoy our evening, out the door in 45. We were so upset we asked if there was a hurry to change over the table (there were several empty tables that nite)! Icing on the cake was as we left we were told they'd had a party of 20 and it was a hard nite. Well, sad to say, we had a hard nite too. So sad.
- loved Bistro 27luv2dineDined on 7/27/2014Decided to give it a try and beyond satisfied. The waiter went above and beyond. I had to bite my younger to not over induldge. Quality service, amazing lighting, great ambiance, and deliciously delicious food! Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014Service was slow about 45 minute wait Food very goodSpecial Features:
- Another great experienceTessDined on 7/26/2014Bistro 27 is on our list of "go to's". After our last dining experience it will remain high on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soChipDined on 7/22/2014We were greeted my a male server o asked if we would like a table for three. We said we had a reservation and he didn't seem to care. Then the manager appeared and we again said we had made a reservation through Open Table and he said he would check it after we were seated. He then wanted to seat us at a table that did not meet the request we had made with the reservation although the restaurant was nearly empty. After we said we preferred a different table, he did honor that. The scallops on the menu sounded wonderful, however, they were not available as the scallops with a different preparation were being offered as a special. Overall, all the items were fair. Certainly no reason to return next time we are in Rixhond.
- Definitely to be repeatedfanojagDined on 7/20/2014As a first time diner the experience was delightful. Menu covers a broad range of tastes. Between the two of us we had Calimari - lightly breaded, tender and non-greasy, mussels in a delightful broth full of flavour good enough for dipping, salmon, perfectly cooked with a hint of sweetnes in the glaze, and beef ravioli, again in a delightfully tasty but not 'heavy' sauce. (Those expecting heavy garlic will be disappointed, but with that complex a taste, who needs garlic??). I had hoped to try their duck dish, but that had been removed due to a change of menu recently. Hopefullly they will return it to the menu soon. I intend to call first before my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenaldadtaughtmehowtocookDined on 7/19/2014The food was to die for. Everything, down to the pasta, is made in house and fresh that day.. I can vouch for the beef ravioli, carbonara, and raspberry cheesecake.. Still drooling thinking about it. I'm definitely a foodie and restaurant "snob" and this place is top notch. Service was spectacular as well!Special Features:
- Good food but over pricedJoeFridayDined on 7/19/2014The place is nice and the food is pretty good but not quite the value for your dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency issuesYumYumDined on 7/18/2014Hostess had no idea what a corking fee was when I called to ask, a male said "not allowed", as they had a wine list which should fill anyone's need. Ouch. Really? Hostess also could not advise re rescheduling or keeping existing reservation if running 15 minutes late. Hardly a uncommon question. 3 in the party got beef or chicken ravioli, which they said was excellent. My lamb was very mediocre, not terrible, but not noteworthy and another's Ribollita, a vegetable and bean dish, was oddly uneven, with some vegetables undercooked and hard, others well cooked. Quite pricey for unexceptional fare. Will likely not go again.
- Not Bad, But Not As ExpectedTheFlyingTechDined on 7/12/2014The food is excellent - let that be said. However, the ambience and the setting... just didn't feel... close or romantic or even charming. It felt carved out of an industrial space, and sitting right next to the restrooms and the kitchen on full display... no charm at all. Throw in some nuisance flies, and well... it could have been much better.Special Features:
- dineRVADined on 6/28/2014A special occasion restaurant for us, we hadn't been in a couple of years as we'd tired of the menu. Decided to give of a try after learning of the new ownership and chef. Went Despite the review in this RTD. Glad we did. Food was wonderful, service very attentive, but not obtrusive. We normally like to sit at the bar and have a cocktail while waiting for a table. Bartender was great, but bar itself not welcoming, no ambience. 1 major distraction was the smell. The restaurant was almost cloudy with cooking smoke. While I have nothing against the smell of cooking meat, the abundance of cooking odors took away from the overall ambience of the restaurant. Hopefully they will install better air cleaning/venting in time for their new launch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Server and Owner/manager were extremely friendly and the environment was clean and neat but the food was subpar.
- Great ExperienceChaccofVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had been to Bistro 27 once before about a year or so ago. Decided to try it again, despite a recent review in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. It was a terrific experience all around. The service was terrific, the owner personally attended to us during the evening. Our server was professional, timely (didn't wait too long or not long enough between check in's) and the food was well prepared and delicious. There's nothing pretentious about the menu - it abounds with interesting presentations of very recognizable choices....we'll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing menuDisappointed123Dined on 6/13/2014We absolutely loved the menu choices- chicken, fish, pork, beef, and vegetarian options. Everything was delicious and was served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CheaterswedtodayDined on 6/8/2014The food was good, the service good but we got cheated. We had a $75 gift certificate from Linden Row Inn. Our brunch came to $30 and the waiter brought us a wine list so we could select a bottle of wine to take with us to take up some of the balance. We selected a nice Malbec which when the waiter went to get it, they were "Out" of it. He offered another Malbec which he said was their house favorite so we accepted. Now our bill came to $83 which meant the wine was over $50. We checked on this wine online and the most expensive was $10. Totally disgusted with their dishonesty and would never eat there again plus I am sending this complaint to Linden Row Inn as well.
- The following 101 reviews are from the Bistro Twenty Seven reviews archive.
- SpikeDined on 5/31/2014The charchuterie was fair with the duck procuitto being abit tough and the choice of ricotta cheese not a usual choice. The entrees were both off the hook. The filet was charred and tender and cooked to the correct temp, the duck breast was one of the most tender I have ever enjoyed. Dessert on the other hand was lacking in flavor. Matching a barola with the two entrees went very well. Overall good.............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back AgaincrabclawsDined on 5/29/2014The service was outstanding and the food divine. The dining experience was fit for foodies. Ordered the beef tenderloin in a dark truffle demi-glaze paired with broccolini and fingerling potatoes. It arrived at the table perfectly cooked. I have been to dine here several times and each has been a excellent dining experience. I would highly recommend Bistro 27Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but service averagereitireefamDined on 5/18/2014while the food was good the server was emotionless and gave appearance of being overworked. he was not enthusiastic about telling of the specials. in fact, i had to ask for the specials after i overheard him telling the other diners about them. i liked the dining room with the big windows looking out onto the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarshaDined on 5/17/2014Have historically enjoyed Bistro 27 and have always supported the restaurant because they give a discount to theatre patrons. I had never tried duck breast before and will not be ordering it again. Was fatty and had some gristle. My two daughters got the two fish dishes on the menu which they said were OK. My husband got the pork chop special which he really liked.
- Mostly outstandingRVAfoodieDined on 5/16/2014I read many of the reviews and agree on a few things. The rolls are very lackluster as was the olive oil that came with them. We had two rolls for two people which was a little skimpy too but they weren't very good anyway. Max's on Broad, which is literally across the street, took the time to find really great bread (from a bakery in DC). The other complaint was that they were out of things at 6:30 on a Friday- crab for the crab salad and mussels and the waiter didn't know until we ordered. The tuna salad I had instead was really really good as was the steak special. Both were outstanding. The dessert (bread pudding) was average and didn't taste like almond as it should have. Otherwise, service was fine, water glasses filled often.Special Features:
- High Hopes, but disappointedenjoygoodfoodDined on 5/11/2014The food was good, once we got it. There was a limited menu since it was Mother's Day. Once we sat down, we waited for at least 15 minutes to get bread, and we found out that 2 of the appetizers were no longer available, all that was left was salads. We found out that the Prime Rib was also out, which really limited our selection. But we were in luck, they had Beef Tenderloin! (they did not tell us it was more expensive than the Prime Rib by $4). When we asked the waiter what came with the Beef Tenderloin ($30), he said some starch and some vegetable. And we got a bottle of white wine which just sat on the table, it was not put in ice. We saw another table where there wine was put in an ice bucket.