275 Moody St
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bisoncounty.com/
- Phone: (781) 642-9720
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - late, Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm; Dinner only: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bison County
Bison County combines the best of what Texas, South Carolina, and the Southwest have to offer. For over 14 years we've been serving critically acclaimed hardwood smoked barbecue and grilled meats. We have an eclectic and diverse menu that has something for everyone. We've won "Best of Boston" by Boston Magazine. We've been a 5 time guest on the Phantom Gourmet and won "Gourmet Greatness" and "Great 8 Best in New England" by the Phantom Gourmet. We've also been featured twice on the TV show Chronicle. In addition to our Barbecue and grilled meats we have items like New Orleans 4Pepper Pasta, Blackened Salmon, Southern Fried Catfish, California Style soft Tacos, and grilled fire shrimp. Our bar features over 50 different beers, 15 Single Malt Scotches, 15 Single Barrel Bourbons, 20 Vodka varieties, and 3 50" HD TVs for all your sporting needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bison County reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (7)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (6)special occasion (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Good basic barbecues1010VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had a large group and needed someplace that would take reservations. The staff was great. Their food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!MarKevVIPDined on 11/8/2014Aside from the hostess who needed to smile more, and who shouldn't at anytime ever push a customer in the arm so she can get to her hostess stand (the right thing to do would've been to say "excuse me"....excerpt from the book, Human Interaction 101), everybody else were wonderful!! The gentleman with the clipboard was awesome! Our waitress Melissa was as sweet as can be! My husband & I enjoyed our baby back ribs, a couple of beers, and a couple of wine just fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was excellentbfrostyDined on 10/19/2014Food was some of the best smoked brisket and ribs I have ever had side dishes were plentiful and the appetizer was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.EggmanVIPDined on 9/20/2014I have been a regular customer of Bison for over 15 years. I will keep coming back. Never a bad meal. Always courteous staff. Absolutely the best bison burgers around. The steak tips are terrific, too. The senior bartender (I can't recall his name, but he is a HUGE Patriots fan) is a great guy.Special Features:
- Best Bison Burger Ever!!LexiDined on 9/11/2014Love this place and love the bison burger. The beer list helps out too!Special Features:
- Great BBQCat511VIPDined on 9/5/2014My daughter loved this restaurant despite the lack of a kids' menu. We ordered her, her own sides and they brought us a plate so we could share our entrees. The service was prompt, water glasses never ran empty. The food came out while it was still hot and my daughter loved watching the cooks in the open kitchen prepare the BBQ. Ribs and pulled pork were amazing and their sweet potato fries are always delicious. We usually eat here about once a month but it was our daughter's first visit (5yo) and she has asked to come back.Special Features:
- nice bbq jointanceDined on 8/30/2014Delious ribs whether you like Texas style or Carolina style you will find something. Extensive beer list also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay BBQ, but not the bestHdhejVIPDined on 8/21/2014I usually go to Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington, MA. I love that place for the food. The sauces are great and so are the cooks. Bison County has a seating service versus take out at Blue Ribbon with some tables around should you choose to eat there. The flavor at Bison County was okay and like any other restaurant for BBQ food not exceptional like Blue Ribbon. However, this place has one thing that Blue Ribbon does not and that is table side service! Yes, just wait to be seated and they wait on you. What is that worth? Not sure, but the prices are much higher than Blue Ribbon. Would I go here again? Possible if you are with a crowd and don't want to wait on yourself. The food isn't bad, but just isn't fantastic.
- not a fandisappointedDined on 7/31/2014brisket was fatty; southern ribs were dry and tasted burned
- The following 184 reviews are from the Bison County reviews archive.
- Always goodjennkayVIPDined on 6/15/2014Consistently good BBQ and AMAZING sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LadyfoodDined on 6/10/2014The quality of the food needs to improve , especially with the choice of side dishes. The menu needs to be updated. I just felt that the restaurant experience overall was fair. The fried pickles were soggy, and the ribs almost burned. The service was friendly, but could improve on a more professional appearance.
- Corn bread= amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Got very smoky; vent not working. Besides bread, food was good not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodCarnivoreDined on 5/24/2014Consistently excellent. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation PartybdbntDined on 5/17/2014We have had lunch several times over the last four years at Bison County while visiting our son & his friends in Waltham. We made plans to have a quick lunch after graduation with our family. The staff at Bison County was fabulous. When graduation ran an hour longer, I called to let them know we would be late. From that moment when they indicated they had no problem with that, we were able to enjoy the entire afternoon. Reservations were for 12, but when we showed up with 15 people - no problem. We were able to enjoy our table until all our guests arrived. The entire graduation day ended up being very special, and Bison County helped make that happen.Special Features:
- Good BBQMikeDined on 5/11/2014If you like good BBQ def. check out this spot. I got the pulled pork & pulled chicken combo which was very good (especially the pulled pork) along with cucumber salad & jalapeno rice. The rice was a little plain but the salad had a lot of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQLike2eatDined on 5/10/2014Great sports bar BBQ. Appetizers were very good- we tried onions rings, catfishnites and so Carolina spicy tenders and all were excellent. Ribs for meal were cooked right and sauce tasty. Casual, little noisy but bruins were in a playoff game and we kind of liked it. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceluv2eatDined on 5/3/2014Good beer list and good food. The fried pickles and cornbread fritters are really good. Also liked the caesar salad with cornbread croutons. Brisket, Bison, Salmon are good too. Can't go wrong with any dish. Only comment is that we knew that having veges as our side dish would be $1 more, but didn't expect a side of Caesar Salad to be $3 extra when it replaced another side. If you time isn't available on opentable, call them and they will probably be able to accommodate (they did for us)Special Features:
- Nice grill in downtown areaBeerloverDined on 4/27/2014Stopped by on rainy day while shopping. Fairly quiet, service was prompt but not consistent. Food nicely grilled - spices, flavoring very good. Excellent craft beer selections. Price reasonable.Special Features:
- Great FindPatriarchDined on 3/31/2014Reasonable prices, great food, outstanding service (Melissa). Incredible beer listSpecial Features:
- Love it!Dinner43Dined on 3/28/2014This place never disappoints. Excellent ribs and extraordinary beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galloped in for the BuffaloSiouxCitySiouxDined on 3/21/2014I came for the bison tips...which I ordered medium rare and they arrived medium. Not a deal breaker, but they were definitely overcooked for my liking. We went late afternoon (4:30 ish). The bar was hopping and the bartender had to double as host and server until the waitresses arrived. Service was attentive. Beer list is extensive and micro-brew types should be very happy. I was also pleased to see so many hard ciders were available...more than the Brew House ever has on tap.Special Features:
- Just FineCarolHVIPDined on 3/13/2014Looking to try some place new - I'm not in that area often. Right off the bat they were out of the beer that I wanted to try. I ordered the ribs which were ok. They were tender enough but not "fall off the bone" and sort of dry. My husband's pulled pork and chicken platter was HUGE and he liked it well enough. Again, both were kind of dry. The atmosphere is very casual - like someplace you'd find in a college town. Just fine.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysLexiDined on 2/26/2014I love this place! I decided to stray from my usual bison burger and got the pulled pork sandwich. It was absolutely fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual restaurantECW66VIPDined on 2/11/2014Food here is good. I ordered a Buffalo Burger with sautéed onions and sweet potato fries. Cooked perfectly- it was juicy and tasty. My friend ordered a cheeseburger and it was also good. Service was prompt and friendly. Good place for a quick bite before or after the movies. Good beer selection.Special Features:
- Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2014We hadn't been to Bison County for years and we had a positive experience overall. Even though it was really crowded, we were seated immediately, which was awesome. Our waitress was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the wine and allergy issues that two of us had. The only reason she didn't get a higher mark was because she never checked back during the meal to learn that two of us never got our salads and we were never offered another drink. But, it was quite busy and this isn't a 5 star restaurant, so we weren't too put off. We all enjoyed our meals and I'm glad we went.Special Features:
- BBQ Not SweetBBQJoeDined on 1/18/2014They have the tenderness down but they need a good sweet sauce.Special Features:
- Can't get enough of it nowICouldEatVIPDined on 1/16/2014This was only our second visit but like our first it was exceptional and we brought more folks along to enjoy it. Behind the bar, Scott has an encyclopedic knowledge of the notable beer menu and willingly shares his thoughts on each selection without being haughty or patronizing. Our server, Emer, was busy yet attentive. Appetizers and entrees arrived quickly and drinks were refilled without waiting. Our party of four ordered the fried pickles, steak tips, pulled chicken quesadilla and chicken burrito. All were delicious and portions were generous. I excitedly recommend Bison County to friends. It took too long for me to discover it. I can't get enough of it now.Special Features:
- Really great first experienceICouldEatVIPDined on 1/4/2014We love Moody Street restaurants and Bison County had been on our "bucket list" for some time. We were very pleased with the experience. All three of us enjoyed our meals. My college-age son is a steak tips junkie and he said these were some of the best he's ever tasted. My wife loved her chicken quesadilla. I went small with the Bison County Rubin, an interesting twist on the classic Reuben. While three of beers I wanted to try were not available, there were plenty of others on the menu that were exceptional and not overpriced. Portions were generous, service was fast but not hurried, staff was friendly and attentive. Happy to return soon.Special Features:
- Great casual barGratefulVIPDined on 11/30/2013Enjoyed food, service atmosphere. Casual, friendly bar and dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great barbeque and great beerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2013This is a waltham gem. Probably not the best place for a quiet romantic dinner, but it has some excellent food and a good quality selection of craft beers. As a guy who grew up in south carolina, I have a lot of experience with barbeque and I have been to no place in the boston area that does barbeque so well. Their pulled pork is moist without being greasy and the brisket is tender and flavorful. They have a rotating selection of craft beers both bottled and on tap including some very limited seasonal selections from breeers like Avery, Jack's Abby, and Maine beer company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and goodIngeviolinDined on 11/19/2013This is not a fancy restaurant, which is just fine by me. Plain wood floors and tables, and plastic covered benches (patched). Delicious food -- not gourmet but tasty. Wonderful choices of beer, friendly waitstaff, only a single dessert avaialble, which is also fine by me. Noise level acceptable, making coversation possible -- a rare find. The tables are not crammed together -- you have your own space. I like it.Special Features:
- Ok coraleLive2eatDined on 11/17/2013Overall, the food was OK nothing special. The wait staff was very good.The bar would be great place to watch a sporting event...large selection of beers and T.Vs. Food was not Texas BBQ quality. The starters were good, fried pickles were crispy and you could taste the pickles. The corn bread was sweet and fresh. The Cowboy &Indian(select 2meats) was the why to go...you get a lot for your money. The chicken was moist and tasty, the ribs fell off the bone. Disappointed in the brisket....might have been better in a sandwich. First time tasting Bison, meat too dry. The garlic jalapeño rice was lacking in both heat and garlic, the baked beans were real good along with the cole slaw and fries.Special Features:
- bison county....tired foodssueDined on 11/15/2013fun bar atmoshphere. food was mediocre. great beer selection. good spot for grabbing a beer and watching sports....not a place for great foodSpecial Features:
- Good Value!lkgvkVIPDined on 11/8/2013The ribs were excellent! and so was the chicken quesadilla! Nice portion size satisfied our hungry appetites without emptying our wallets! The service was attentive and helpful. There is ample parking in the city lot - just across the street! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great BBQhwcoolbootsDined on 10/18/2013I took my daughter (who attends Bentley University) and her boyfriend out here for dinner while visiting. My husband went to college in Savannah and knows his BBQ. He also makes a mean pulled pork and ribs. We all agreed that everything we had was top notch. Sauces were great, ribs and pulled meats were incredible, sides were as good as the mains. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great meal at a decent price.Special Features:
- Great BBQ JointnstaileyDined on 10/12/2013If you are looking for great BBQ in the Boston area than Bison County is the place to go. Great food, service and atmosphere is all you will find there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good timeLexiDined on 10/12/2013Loved it per usual. I asked for a table in the bar area to watch the game and they had it ready to go. No complaints here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ!JaniceDined on 8/21/2013Bison County served up the best smoked BBQ brisket I have ever had. Yummy! They also have awesome side dishes and the service was fast and friendly. If you like beer, you will be thrilled with the enormous select of brews. Next time I'm in the area, I will drive out of my way to eat at Bison County again. Thank you Open Table as I found them on your website!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent BBQ for Moody StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2013I love barbecue, so I was excited to try Bison County. I got the half rack of ribs and they were okay - dry, not a lot of meat on the bone, but they were charred so that was good. The mashed potatoes were also mediocre - a little runny, and if it hadn't been for the presence of potato skin in them I might have thought they were instant. The rest of my group though got some bison burgers which they thought were great, and pulled chicken which was also good - apparently I just ordered the wrong thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always nice to visit and haveFirsttimerVIPDined on 7/29/2013Always nice to visit and have a wonderful barbecue meal. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.