Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: (619) 239-1377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (274)special occasion (251)romantic (207)fit for foodies (137)great for outdoor dining (127)notable wine list (104)neighborhood gem (57)good for groups (41)hot spot (37)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (25)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Very FancyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014This restaurant was very fancy and very expensive. A little too much for me but it made for a nice night for my wife and I to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dining experience!2YtravelDined on 11/18/2014We loved everything about this place....the service and ambiance were fantastic! Everyone that waited on us were so nice and friendly. You cannot go wrong sitting outside for happy hour and enjoying the view! It was my husband's birthday and we were given a complimentary dessert...which was delicious. We would definetly return...and recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch at Mr. A'sEmilyDined on 11/14/2014Excellent food. Beautiful views. Cozy, on the smaller side; definitely get a reservation if you are dining later in the day. Good valet, but recommend street parking if you don't mind. Fantastic desserts. Quiet and intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful experienceFussyMareDined on 11/10/2014Every time I visit San Diego I make a point to dine at Bertrand's. There are no comparable dining experiences anywhere else in the area. The bay and city views are astounding. Watching the planes landing is mesmerizing. Not to mention the fabulous food. Bertrand's is sure to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!!Pgallegos1780Dined on 11/10/2014Geez where do I start?!! The views, the ambiance, or the food? The views were awesome. The ambiance was great!! The service was first class!! My first time here and I was not disappointed. It's a must go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real gem in the heart of San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Beautiful view of the city coupled with the perfect ambience makes this one of the best locations in San Diego for a romantic evening with someone special. Quality of the food and drinks was outstanding.Special Features:
- We loved mister A'sJusten92Dined on 11/9/2014Amazing customer service and was an overall great experience. I took my girlfriend here for our 8 year anniversary and we had a wonderful time. We sat on the patio for dinner, which overlooked the city. The heat lamps keep you comfortable, and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant and reserving the patio at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing viewFirefightkenDined on 11/9/2014This restaurant has one of the best views i've seen. They provided top rated service and the food was great too. You are definitely paying for the view though. Be prepared to fork up some money to enjoy this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THROUGLY ENJOYED THE EVENINGLuv2dineDined on 11/8/2014Service was spectacular as well as the food. Everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed the food and drink recommendations. Lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN A FOR MR A'Swellseasoned1Dined on 11/8/2014Fine dining with attentive professional staff. Excellent but in-obtrusive service, open and knowledgeable when asked. Dishes were fresh, delicious, and artfully presented. In all, a very enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Impeccable service, food was incredible, gorgeous setting with awesome views. Extensive wine list and amazing bar menu. Highly recommended for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversary experienceEatGreatDined on 11/7/2014It was our first experience at mister A's the other night for my wife and I's 4 year wedding anniversary. The ambiance was nice, our waiter was knowledgable, the food was exceptional and everyone seemed to be as accommodating as possible. I will say, my initial impression of the restaurant based upon our dinner confirmation call gave me the feeling like it was privilege for me to be dining that evening at the facility. Not saying this is entirely a bad way to represent a company but for my initial contact I definitely didn't get that warm and welcome feeling. That being said, when we were greeted in person everyone seemed pleasant and inviting. I hope this feedback will help customer retention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quintessential fine dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Their service is top notch which perfectly represents the food that Chef prepares for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for celebrations!IrvinecommuterDined on 11/7/2014Everything at Mister A's was superb. I took my mother for her 79th birthday and everyone was so attentive. We loved the food, the view, the wait staff and the chef sent out a beautiful birthday dessert dish. We had a wonderful time. We will come again.Special Features:
- Tanker69Dined on 11/6/2014Impeccable service with a stunning view of the harbor and city.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Service, Wine, ViewFarleyDined on 11/6/2014I had a great dining experience at Bertrand's and I will be back again as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeckiKDined on 11/2/2014Perfect night! We celebrated our 25th Anniversary and they provided us with a fun dessert with that spelled out in chocolate. Beautiful clear night, view was great. Such a treat to eat where the service was wonderful, food great and so peacefully quiet. When did quiet become a negative to the dining out experience? We will be back to checkout the patio which looked spectacular on a warmer night!Special Features:
- A Favorite!DineWellDined on 10/29/2014This is a wonderful special occasion restaurant! We always have a great time - how can you not? Outstanding food, excellent service, and awesome view.Special Features:
- Will go again!FranklinfoodDined on 10/26/2014From the moment you step foot in the door, the service is remarkable. The food, indescribable except to say they have the best eggs benedict ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Happy!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014I had made this reservation several months in advance and specified a window table. Two days prior I was called to confirm the booking and again specified that I had overseas guests in town who were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and would want a window table. When we were seated, we were taken to a back table right by the waiters ordering system tucked in a corner. No one acknowledged the 40th anniversary or the fact that this was not a window table. We were not asked would you like to wait for a window table or will this table do? Basically when I said I had requested a window table, I was told it is not guaranteed and this is what we have. No apology, no would like to wait for one, no nothing! Total indifference!Special Features:
- Loved itMrBigStuffDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I went to Bertrand at Mr. A's for the first time for our fourth wedding anniversary. Loved everything about it, food was great, our server was wonderful. Definitely a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and experienceSevengirlsDined on 10/25/2014We celebrated the bride to be bachelorette dinner here. It was amazing! All seven of us girls thought the food was delicious, the view was spectacular, and the service was wonderful! The waiters were very attentive and made the bride to be feel very honored! I'm sure they had other tables they were waiting on, but we all felt like we were there only table; we felt very special and taken care of. We could not say enough great things about the food! We had the duck, wild king salmon, the short ribs, ahi tartar, and the Mac and cheese - not one complaint from any of the girls! We all loved it and were talking about how good it was the next day! Please don't change anything about the restaurant; it's perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dogmatic waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Bertrand is a great restaurant, except for our waiter with the strong insistance on his ideas of "proper" food pairings, and the borderline sarcastic remarks that followed. It's unusual to find an older man with B-game etiquette filling in a role that requires an A-game disposition.Special Features:
- Great experience.Lizette86Dined on 10/23/2014We celebrated our anniversary here. The food was great, they have really good service. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StarsEatwellDined on 10/22/2014Amazing food, attentive staff, breathtaking view of our citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down hilllagondaDined on 10/20/2014For the third time in a row eating here the food was just fair. The service was very poor. I have eaten here for years, but I am about finished with them. Given the price and the reputation the food should be far better. Some thing has gone off boil in my opinion.Special Features:
- What's not to likeMaranelloDined on 10/19/2014The food, service, and ambience was impeccable. The food was amazing. So many flavors in my mouth. I have the venison chop and my wife had the halibut. Both were cooked to perfection. We did not have to ask for anything. Whatever we thought we wanted just appeared at our table. We had all of our service needs met. The view, of course, was outstanding. We will definitely be back for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidanDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic view with full downtown, water and airport views. Drinks were professional and well executed. The food was great and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014The service was good, the food was well prepared, presented, and served, and the wine, recommended by our waiter was excellent. We have yet to have a disappointing meal or experience here. The only negative this evening was the presence of a large, loud, well lubricated wedding party whose noisy enthusiasm spilled over into the dining room and made the normally quiet space a bit raucous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaniceKaurDined on 10/12/2014I think for this restaurant the view was spectacular but I did not enjoy my food as much as the view. Furthermore, the customer service was excellent and that made up for the food. Overall, I would recommend for the view and atmosphere but maybe not so much for the food.Special Features:
- Excellent!TravelerswifeVIPDined on 10/12/2014My second time at Bertrand Mr A's and as out of town guest it was worth even more returning to this lovely restaurant.food is great the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Views Great Service, GormetBrianSanDiegoDined on 10/12/2014Watch the jumbo jets land at Lindbergh Field while enjoying outstanding gourmet creations like the Aspen Ridge New York Steak Flatbread with gorgonzola and the decadent Mediterranean Black Mussels Provençale....Rockefeller move over. Great wine list and awesome Brunch Bloody Mary's from the bar. Simply 'First Class' service by the staff. Menu pricing average and surprisingly moderate for the location. Outside dining available with 'insane' panoramic views of Downtown, SD Bay, and East County mountains, but with no shade. 5 Star Dining!! I recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with great friendsMariannDined on 10/11/2014Since our friends recently married on a private resort, we decided to celebrate with dinner at Bertrand's. Since our friends have never here, we knew they'd be in for a treat. Everything was above expectations. The cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert and wine were prepared perfectly. The staff was attentive, helpful and above all vert friendly. Thank you for helping us kick off our friends marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Anniversary DinnerC7Ga2gksDined on 10/11/2014Amazing experience..the view was fantastic , the food selection wonderful and the waitstaff attentive, knowledgable and sensed when he needed to be by table side. First time there and honestly do not know why we waited so long yo yo.Special Features:
- special eveninggotagroDined on 10/10/2014Even being native San Diegans, my husband and I had never visited Mr. A's before this weekend. We decided it was time and went to celebrate my husband's birthday. I included this information in my Open Table reservation and we were treated to exceptional food and service. I wish we hadn't waited! They even brought him a birthday candle in a wine glass and a beautiful plate with Happy Birthday (and his name spelled correctly) in chocolate. We had a beautiful evening and allowed my 2 young adult sons the honor of dining at Mr. A's with us so they don't have to wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Birthday dinner for my wife, everything was perfect, from food, service, and amazing sunset view of the city. This is a treasures San Diego iconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Views, Snoody ServiceDanielleSmithDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I came here to celebrate my birthday... We were very excited because we had never been there before and heard it was amazing.. We are both frequent theatre goers and had seen an advertisement in a playbill about a 40$ meal per person... We asked our waitress right away about the offer and she said the deal had ended the night before... She continued to be rude, short and absent... That same evening my husband and I attended the theatre and there was the ad... It even had a QR code that connected to their website advertising the very thing we had asked about!!! Bad form... She should be fired... It didn't ruin my birthday celebration but it definitely dampened it! If your going... Sit at the bar, same view, better service!Special Features:
- MOONDined on 10/4/2014Great view, Great service, Food just OK compared to everything else.Special Features:
- as always - awesomeConsistentDined on 10/3/2014There is no need to compliment the view – it is clearly outstanding. But what is less obvious is the fact that Mister A is one of those rare restaurants that do not loose food and service quality over time. When I need to impress out of town guests I can always rely on Mr.A.Special Features:
- Greast Place for CelebrationBertrandsDined on 10/2/2014Took a very close friend there who I haven't deen in over a year. Loved the view and appreciated the quality of service and attention to detail. Food was exceptional and certainly satisfying. Thoroughly enjoyed the medley of flavors offered through each course.Special Features: