Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (282)special occasion (254)romantic (214)fit for foodies (139)great for outdoor dining (131)notable wine list (101)neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (44)great for lunch (34)hot spot (33)great for brunch (29)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Down hilllagondaDined on 10/20/2014For the third time in a row eating here the food was just fair. The service was very poor. I have eaten here for years, but I am about finished with them. Given the price and the reputation the food should be far better. Some thing has gone off boil in my opinion.Special Features:
- What's not to likeMaranelloDined on 10/19/2014The food, service, and ambience was impeccable. The food was amazing. So many flavors in my mouth. I have the venison chop and my wife had the halibut. Both were cooked to perfection. We did not have to ask for anything. Whatever we thought we wanted just appeared at our table. We had all of our service needs met. The view, of course, was outstanding. We will definitely be back for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidanDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic view with full downtown, water and airport views. Drinks were professional and well executed. The food was great and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014The service was good, the food was well prepared, presented, and served, and the wine, recommended by our waiter was excellent. We have yet to have a disappointing meal or experience here. The only negative this evening was the presence of a large, loud, well lubricated wedding party whose noisy enthusiasm spilled over into the dining room and made the normally quiet space a bit raucous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaniceKaurDined on 10/12/2014I think for this restaurant the view was spectacular but I did not enjoy my food as much as the view. Furthermore, the customer service was excellent and that made up for the food. Overall, I would recommend for the view and atmosphere but maybe not so much for the food.Special Features:
- Excellent!TravelerswifeVIPDined on 10/12/2014My second time at Bertrand Mr A's and as out of town guest it was worth even more returning to this lovely restaurant.food is great the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Views Great Service, GormetBrianSanDiegoDined on 10/12/2014Watch the jumbo jets land at Lindbergh Field while enjoying outstanding gourmet creations like the Aspen Ridge New York Steak Flatbread with gorgonzola and the decadent Mediterranean Black Mussels Provençale....Rockefeller move over. Great wine list and awesome Brunch Bloody Mary's from the bar. Simply 'First Class' service by the staff. Menu pricing average and surprisingly moderate for the location. Outside dining available with 'insane' panoramic views of Downtown, SD Bay, and East County mountains, but with no shade. 5 Star Dining!! I recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with great friendsMariannDined on 10/11/2014Since our friends recently married on a private resort, we decided to celebrate with dinner at Bertrand's. Since our friends have never here, we knew they'd be in for a treat. Everything was above expectations. The cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert and wine were prepared perfectly. The staff was attentive, helpful and above all vert friendly. Thank you for helping us kick off our friends marriage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Anniversary DinnerC7Ga2gksDined on 10/11/2014Amazing experience..the view was fantastic , the food selection wonderful and the waitstaff attentive, knowledgable and sensed when he needed to be by table side. First time there and honestly do not know why we waited so long yo yo.Special Features:
- special eveninggotagroDined on 10/10/2014Even being native San Diegans, my husband and I had never visited Mr. A's before this weekend. We decided it was time and went to celebrate my husband's birthday. I included this information in my Open Table reservation and we were treated to exceptional food and service. I wish we hadn't waited! They even brought him a birthday candle in a wine glass and a beautiful plate with Happy Birthday (and his name spelled correctly) in chocolate. We had a beautiful evening and allowed my 2 young adult sons the honor of dining at Mr. A's with us so they don't have to wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Birthday dinner for my wife, everything was perfect, from food, service, and amazing sunset view of the city. This is a treasures San Diego iconSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Views, Snoody ServiceDanielleSmithDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I came here to celebrate my birthday... We were very excited because we had never been there before and heard it was amazing.. We are both frequent theatre goers and had seen an advertisement in a playbill about a 40$ meal per person... We asked our waitress right away about the offer and she said the deal had ended the night before... She continued to be rude, short and absent... That same evening my husband and I attended the theatre and there was the ad... It even had a QR code that connected to their website advertising the very thing we had asked about!!! Bad form... She should be fired... It didn't ruin my birthday celebration but it definitely dampened it! If your going... Sit at the bar, same view, better service!Special Features:
- MOONDined on 10/4/2014Great view, Great service, Food just OK compared to everything else.Special Features:
- as always - awesomeConsistentDined on 10/3/2014There is no need to compliment the view – it is clearly outstanding. But what is less obvious is the fact that Mister A is one of those rare restaurants that do not loose food and service quality over time. When I need to impress out of town guests I can always rely on Mr.A.Special Features:
- Greast Place for CelebrationBertrandsDined on 10/2/2014Took a very close friend there who I haven't deen in over a year. Loved the view and appreciated the quality of service and attention to detail. Food was exceptional and certainly satisfying. Thoroughly enjoyed the medley of flavors offered through each course.Special Features:
- Amazing BeautifulDawnBDined on 10/2/2014We absolutely loved Mr. A's! It was an amazing experience overall. Our Server "Amy" was just a doll and on top of everything! We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014Amazing view of the city and the menu was really a surprise...everything was perfect!Special Features:
- folding walls don't workfoodie4sureVIPDined on 10/1/2014took a client here for the view and food. we got a window, but facing south. A folding wall next to us was to hide the rowdy party of 35-30 that was about to sit there right after we sat. Couldn't hear each other talking it was so loud.............................................but view was great, service was awesome and food delicious
- SeattlefoodieDined on 9/30/2014Had a good meal at Mister A's but service was very rough. They use this silly system of a waiter taking your order and others delivering the courses-the one delivering forgot to bring a latte we ordered, delivered the entrees and salads to the wrong person, neglected water glasses, took till the first course to get the wine decanted. All seemingly uncoordinated. otherwise would have been a pleasant experience. We were outside and view was beautiful although the spot lights were too bright, turn them down. We went the following night to the Grant Grill and it was a much better experience with wait staff that were much better trained and coordinated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic siteAnnaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Seeing Mission Bay, the ocean, downtown San Diego with all the lights, and seeing arriving flights from the roof top restaurant is a stunning sight. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. Since this was a birthday celebration, the restaurant presented a lovely plate with several sweets and happy birthday written in chocolate, along with a lit candle in a glass. That is class.Special Features:
- PararompimDined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious. The service was great. We got our food very fast. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Not as good as it should beecasDined on 9/26/2014Mister A's is known to be one of the best high-end restaurants in San Diego, with a long and established reputation. I have lived in SD for nearly a decade and finally found the excuse to go. I was utterly disappointed given my over-estimated expectations. I used to live in New Orleans, NYC, and Washington DC, towns all known for their exquisite choices in excellent cuisine. Mister A's left a lot to be desired. The food was --- well frankly, not memorable - good or bad. Given the attention to detail in ambiance and presentation the food is completely over-rated. For special occasions with the expectation of a relatively expensive ticket there are plenty more restaurants in SD that deliver beyond a view and waiters in suits.Special Features:
- Order steak - No matter whatEatingInSDDined on 9/26/2014This was my third visit to Mr. A's and a pattern has emerged: the only thing on the menu worth ordering is steak. Every time I've been, I've ordered steak, but others in my party have ordered everything from chicken, to lamb, to seafood. The steak has always been phenomenal and everything else has always been mediocre, at best. This last visit was for restaurant week and both starters that we ordered (lobster bisque and salmon tartare) were just ok. Better lobster bisque can be found at Souplantation. The main courses we ordered were lamb (my date's order) and beef filet. My date barely touched the lamb she ordered, and understandably so. After my delicious beef filet, I only convinced myself to finish the lamb because of its price-tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion SizeDjangoDined on 9/26/2014The only negative I have about my experience is regarding the size of my entrée and the desert. The lobster came in the form of four small nuggets and the desert was a small sliver of chocolate cake. I expected my dinner to be expensive that's part of the experience. But as an American we like to get what we pay for. If I'm paying $45 for an entrée I expect to be pretty full or at least not still hungry after dining. I'm not a very large guy so I don't have an abnormally large appetite. The meal was still very delicious and the service was outstanding. Next time I don't want to leave hungry. I hope this review enacts some change to the portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightmaryodDined on 9/26/2014We had such a good meal. I had the SeaBass Great! someone else had the Lamb Oso buco GREAT We all had different kids of soup for starters Everyone enjoyed theirs. I had the Roasted Tomato Fennel soup. Very tasty. DESERT WELL 3 of us had the Chocolate Carmel Popcorn bar. OUTSTANDING. Then one other had the Creme Brûlée, he said it was the best he has had. We got there at 6 saw the sun set then we saw all the lights of the city. VERY pretty spot. We love it and will be back very soon. Highly recommend going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingShefriDined on 9/25/2014We were here for restaurant week, and maybe that makes a difference. My lobster bisque was odd, my penne paella was a true disappointment--one shrimp, several mussels and overcooked fish over what tasted like store-bought pasta, moments of good flavor but not enough. Creme brulee was very good. DH had fantastic truffle mac n cheese, the best dish of the night. His duck confit was also good and the salted caramel bar had tasty elements that worked together well. Now the real problem--the service was rushed, really rushed. I guess if you want a three course dinner served in an hour this is your place. That isn't why I go out to eat. Servers were constantly rushing between us and the view--not relaxing. I won't return despite the view.Special Features:
- Date NightJediswimmerVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is a perfect scenic date night spot. French food, great view, and a wait staff that is attentive yet not overbearing. Expect a great experience with Bertrand at Mister A's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveperfectionDined on 9/25/2014It was an absolutely delightful lunch. The menu for restaurant week offered excellent choices. The service was impeccable and very friendly. The quality and presentation of the different courses was outstanding. I cannot wait to go back for dinner once again.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014We have been to Mr. A's on several occasions and always rated it highly in every category. However, this time, I spent most of the time brushing several flys away from my food. The other concern was the food: while it tasted fine I must have eaten something that wasn't quite right as I started feeling very ill before the end of the dinner and I was ill all night. And no, it wasn't the 1 glass of wine I had. Will we return - not for quite a while.
- Such a treatSDsurfmomDined on 9/24/2014Killer SD view, impeccable service and amazing cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchNadineDined on 9/24/2014My coworker and I had lunch during restaurant week. The price was reasonable and the food was exquisite. I had the Cioppino with penne and my coworker had the Shepherds pie, both were delicious and just the right portion for lunch. We were seated at a table next to the window so we could enjoy the million dollar view. Perfect for out of town guests and special celebrations. You can't go wrong with Mr. A's.Special Features:
- Awesome dinneraurelielDined on 9/23/2014Love this place, I have been here a few times and the food and service is always outstandingSpecial Features:
- Outstanding view, OK foodetLyannaVIPDined on 9/23/2014The hostess on Tuesday evening welcomed us out of the elevator with a judging face and unwelcoming persona. I've been to other fine dining restaurants before and this was the only time I felt this way. The ambiance was outstanding but the food is mediocre. There was a mix up with our appetizers but overall the service was great. Will definitely give this place another try in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014Went there for restaurant week. Awesome view as usual from the top of this building with outdoor and indoor dining. Food was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- Go Chris!camsterDined on 9/23/2014Our server, Chris, was knowledgeable and professional, but also very personable. He was polite but also charming. In addition to the breath-taking views at Bertrand at Mister A's, the service was just top-notch. We were attended to by every last employee at one point or another. It seemed like everyone genuinely cared that we were enjoying ourselves. My girlfriend got the Filet Mignon, and I got the Sea Bass. Both dishes were absolutely surreal. The food was divine, to put it simply. Overall, I would recommend this place to ANYONE, friends and enemies included. It's just too good to not try at least once in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb TimeGPGJBDined on 9/23/2014My girlfriend and I had a great time at Mister A's. We arrived a little early and hit the bar for some signature cocktails. Sean, the bartender, was extremely knowledgeable and was fun to talk to. Chris, was another bartender and put us at ease and made the time that much more enjoyable. The view is by far one of the best in the city and was breathtaking around sunset. The staff was professional and went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we had an unforgettable time, which made this occasion that much more special. I will definitely return to Mister A's in the future and recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to have great dinner and one of a kind view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicetomscot2Dined on 9/23/20144 of us went to Bertrand at Mr. A's for restaurant week. The fixed price menu had great selections and the ability to have some additional choices for a few dollars more was nice touch. Mark, the waiter was EXCELLENT. He humored our feeble attempts at being charming by out charming us. He was the right amount of attentive. Each of our courses were perfectly prepared and presented. We were making satisfied noises with most every bite. Finally, the view was unbeatable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Resturant WeekLJwalkerDined on 9/23/2014We arrived at Mr A's and were sitted at a lovely table. Upon reading the restrant week menu it was a 2 coarse meal deal... if you wanted dessert incluced in was an additional $7.50 and the portion was a very small rammickin. My pork was over cooked and my friend's looked over done. The service was attentive but slow. We enjoyed the location and the view of San Diego, but overall I was disappointed in the meal.Special Features:
- Best view of the city!foodiegirlDined on 9/22/2014Food was spot on.Delicious watermelon "picnic" drink is my new fave! The seared sea bass was delicious and so was everything else.If you haven't been here,what are you waiting for? You can dine outside,they do have heating lamps.Best views are facing west side of course.Dress to impress,no shorts and sandals here Californians!Your wife/girlfriend will love you all night for taking her here! Restaurant is the way to go so you can have 3-courses and enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid "Restaurant Week!"OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Always, always love this place - have recommended it for years to family and friends. Imagine our surprise when we booked a table for my wife's birthday - only to find out when we opened our menus that it was restaurant week. :-( That meant that we could NOT order our favorite dishes, but were very limited on what we could choose. We both chose the lobster bisque as a starter (wanted a salad!) and didn't care for it. Filet was great, desert was good. Will avoid restaurant week from now on.