3121-103 Edwards Mill Rd
Raleigh, NC 27612Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellamonica.com/
- Phone: 9198819778x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am to 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Corbett Monica
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sundays at our Nana’s house were special days. It began when we entered Nana’s house and the smell of the ‘gravy’ simmering on the stove would greet us at the door. Nana would fly out of the kitchen to pinch our cheeks, give us hugs, and lead us to the table full of food saying “mangia, mangia”. Sundays with Nana were days where everything seemed to stop for family and friends; everything except for pasta. Aunts, uncles and cousins would trickle into Nana’s house throughout the day to take their places at the table. The day never seemed to end as we would sit for hours sharing the food.
- Private Party Facilities: Bella Monica’s Private Dining Room is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Bella Monica offers extraordinary food, an intimate setting, and gracious hospitality. Our completely private room can accommodate 20 seated or 35 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Trevor Chambers 9193065542
A word from Bella Monica
Bella Monica Cucina & Vino is a family-run trattoria with recipes handed down from our grandparents. Our menu features Neapolitan dishes like gourmet thin-crust pizzas called, Flatbreads, Pasta, Seafood, Chicken, Local Pork & Beef dishes. Our tomato sauce is made just like Nana's. It's so good that we sometimes eat it like soup! Without a doubt, we serve the best cannoli you will ever taste! Our wine list features all Italian, hard-to-find selections that are a perfect match for our Pasta & Flatbreads.Continued
We showcase local art on the walls and play a great upbeat music mix. You can dine al fresco on our patio and enjoy live acoustic music on Wednesday nights.
Wine Spectator awarded wine list.
We showcase local art on the walls and play a great upbeat music mix. You can dine al fresco on our patio and enjoy live acoustic music on Wednesday nights.
Wine Spectator awarded wine list.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bella Monica - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Bella Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (70)great for outdoor dining (56)special occasion (53)great for lunch (53)notable wine list (44)romantic (36)good for groups (28)hot spot (25)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- celebrated my mom's 96th B-daynoodlesDined on 9/17/2014Our server was very attentive and funny. We had great entree's and they brought my mom a canoli with a candle and she loved it not to mention is was crazy good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Food is great, the service is wonderful and I can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014This was my 2nd time @Bella Monica, the 1st being about 6 yrs ago & I can't say anything about great things about it. Trevor met my date and I before we even hit the sidewalk. He informed is that our table would be ready shortly & asked if we were celebrating anything, we said yes, a birthday. He then brought us both complimentary glasses of Presseco to have while we waited. Once seated we enjoyed the fact that our server gave us time to talk and enjoy the experience before taking our order, etc. They did not have a shortage of staff and everyone was very attentive. The food...do I need to mention it was AH-mazing. We had the best experience, and cannot wait to go back. Oh! Make Reservations!!! It was a Tuesday night, and it was packed! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out to pleasebugsDined on 9/16/2014Another wonderful experience. Great food, great service and great attention to details. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightf00dieDined on 9/15/2014I have been going to Bella Monica since it opened, and it has really become a neighborhood treasure. The menu is well developed with delightful specials and excellent standards. The wine list might be overwhelming to some, but I find it wonderful - full of good options. It can feel a little cramped on occasion, but the food is worth it. I have a very specific and unique allergy and they always try to accommodate my special needs, generally without comment or any indication of inconvenience. I no longer live in the area, but when in town, I always try to share a meal there. I cannot recommend the garlic soup enough, or the management (and head chef Corbett) enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in Raleighashleyryan8Dined on 9/13/2014Whether its the notable wine selection, the baked ziti or the amazing hot bread you get while waiting for your meal Bella Monica is top notch! Even the owners come out and greet you like if you were family! Will always go here and recommend for guests in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average start, but nice finishBDUJeffDined on 9/11/2014We were three couples getting together for a nice dinner and conversation. We ordered three appetizers (mushrooms, brussel sprouts, shrimp). Only the mushroomes were good, sprouts we burnt but undercooked and shrimp was blah. When the entrees were ordered, one person request GF pasta (which they have) and later when the bread came out they also brought out GF bread. (nice touch!) Tried the heirloom salad (which was an upcharge from the standard salad) which is fine, except the standard salad is free so $7.95 for the upcharge. Service was very good. We will definitely return, but will push back with the manager when food, prices, or service don't meet the expectations we have come to expect with Bella Monica.Special Features:
- Excellent!gelertDined on 9/11/2014Always delicious, great service, a must for any lover of Italian food. Reservations recommended!Special Features:
- Delish!!!CdubbandJoJoDined on 9/8/2014Where do I begin??? The food was AHH-MAZE-ING! You could really tell the ingredients were fresh! The staff was incredibly friendly! I noticed one employee go above and beyond to help a lady with a take out order. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Just plain fabulous. One exception is music which is sometimes jarring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014There is a good reason that this restaurant is booked all the time. You can tell right way that the staff know what they are doing and the food is excellent. We will return soon!Special Features:
- always excellentlongtimefolkDined on 8/26/2014food was excellent and attentive and professional service: never a disappointment and a restaurant that we will always patronizeSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodjohncaryncDined on 8/25/2014There's a reason Bella Monica keeps winning awards--they have great food. It's Italian food with a chef's flair. Everyone at my table had excellent meals. They also have an extensive gluten-free menu. Reserve your table early as they will book popular times days in advance.Special Features:
- Almost like grandma used to makeFrac206Dined on 8/22/2014Food was very good, friendly staff.. Only thing was it was hard to talk to the other at the table because the music was up just a little too muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Town DinerFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014We made a reservation at Bella Monica based on open table reviews. First let me say that the food and service were wonderful!!! We were running late because of a prior commitment so I called to change our reservation time. As a result the only table was outside. The person I spoke with made it perfectly that we would be seated outside. I was wrong in thinking that would be ok. That being said, the heat and flies made the experience uncomfortable. I only mention this because I would warn diners to eat inside ... Again, our food and service was GREAT!!! I would highly recommend Bella Monica as long as you eat inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian Food in RaleighMiloDavisDined on 8/20/2014Having grown up in the NorthEast, we grew up having numerous awesome Italian restaurants. After moving to Raleigh the last three years have been disappointing when it comes to Italian food. We are thrilled to have found Bella Monica, the Italian restaurant here in Raleigh reminds me of being back in NJ. The owners of Bella Monica are from Brooklyn. And their food is top notch. The staff is also celiac and gluten free certified I believe. All the servers are extremely knowledgable with gluten free menu items. This has now become our must go to place. We bring all friends and family who visit especially from the north here for the excellent italian food.Special Features:
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, consistently. The lasagna is some of the best on earth. The desserts... well.. gracious...Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014Having eaten at Bella Monica over the past two years, I can definitely say that the quality has steadily worsened over time. More of the recent reviews on yelp also suggest this and overall I'm not sure what the hype is all about. The food is uninspiring and rather mundane and mediocre, akin to what you'd think when you first look at Bella Monica - strip mall Italian. When I first tried it two years ago it was quite the opposite but a few weeks back we dined and the eggplant parm was a raw piece of eggplant on spaghetti, my seafood pasta was weak, and another friend's pork chop was dry. It's a nice cozy place to dine, but not worth the money anymore.
- Reliable and reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Italian consistently good, with attention to gluten free, vegan needs. Handles crowds every night with grace. Great to have this gem as neighbors. You can spend a lot on your romantic date, or have a just right bite at lunch. And your pooch is welcome on the porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic CuisineYLNotDined on 8/13/2014Bella Monica has food many steps ahead of the cookie-cutter Italian retaurants and attentive, friendly servers, as well. The spinach-stuffed shells are my favorite - cheesy, well-seasoned and cooked just right. They are pricey at $14.99 for lunch, but they are delciious. The ambience is average - nothing special, but they do well with the space they have.
- Great lunchGoOrangeDined on 8/12/2014The menu was fantastic, service great and all around atmosphere was wonderful. Thank you Bella Monica!Special Features:
- deliciouswolfpackadge7777Dined on 8/11/2014The food is always great. They have an awesome salmon dish and a Monday night special that's braised beef with onions and goat cheese in a lasagna form. Delicious! Hands down the best beef carpacio I've ever had. Service was slow. We had a reservation and it took about 15 minutes to be sat. Server took another 5 minutes to get our drink order. She also forgot our carpacio appetizer....but after we reminded her it was on the house...granted it came out, at this point, after our entrees. Overall, still one of my favorite restaurants despite the service issues, occasionally. I would recommend, but not for kids. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trevor was great as alwayssasjrmDined on 8/8/2014good food, great music, nice staff & very consistent qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Made last minute reservation while doing research at Raleigh library and were very pleased with the service and quality as well as quantity of the food. My daughter-in-law's family runs the same type restaurant in Augusta, Ga and Bella Monica was just as good. It is in a busy shopping center but still has a home town family feel to it.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Town!mkmurrayDined on 8/5/2014This has been one of my favorite restaurants in Raleigh for many years. The service is always incredible, everyone is so friendly, & their food is outstanding. Every time! They are always as accommodating as possible, even with large groups, despite how busy they are every single night of the week, & they also add a special touch to your experience when you are celebrating something! You can really tell they appreciate their customers, & that alone is remarkable these days!Special Features:
- Belladianne1Dined on 8/2/2014We always love to eat at Bella Monica's. The food is always good, especially the eggplant rollitini. However, they need to hire more waitstaff on busy nights, especially weekends. We waited a quite a long time, especially for the check. Their music is loud and you have to almost yell to have a conversation when the place is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent, as always. Food, service, ambiance is excellent. Well executed operation with a personal touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot to eat a great meaiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014love ths place. from the friendlieness of the servers and hostesses, managers, etc. to the fantastic food offerings. Never been disappointed when I've dined here and would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerJojoDined on 7/15/2014We had a great time with friends celebrating our anniversary. Food was wonderful as always. Lasagne was just right combination of the meat, cheese and sauce. Also had the cannelloni which was terrific. Meaty sauce, great flavors. Flatbread also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Time and it was GoodRDUresidentDined on 7/9/2014For mid-week, this place was packed with people! Along with a glass of wine, I had the flatbread pizza and it was very tasty. I followed with dessert, Tiramisu which was excellent. The service was superb; I'd like to point out the General Manager (Josh?) was regularly checking with all of the customers, and made it his point to personally thank customers (or when he couldn't, one of his staff), and open the exit/entrance door for everyone. The bar area was very small and might hold maybe 5 guests; Bella Monica does not have a full-bar service but serves beer and a wide variety of Italian wines. My only suggestion might be to offer a full-bar selection. It seems like most of the neighborhood eats here and I can see why.Special Features:
- Bella MonicausetobeVIPDined on 7/7/2014We've lost count on the number of times we have been to Bella Monica. The food, service and atmosphere are fantastic. It is especially great for those with food allergies. They can accomodate those who eat Gluten Free, Vegetarian or Vegan with wonderfully plated meals that are abound with flavor. We will always recommend BM to our friends, family and co-workers.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Food okdeputydinerDined on 7/2/2014This was my second time dining at Bella Monica. We had a special occasion and Bella Monica did a wonderful job. We had a gluten free diner in our group and they accommodated his needs incredibly well. Food was good for all except the pasta with the pesto sauce was quite a disappointment. Frankly it was awful. If I hadn't been in a group I would have sent it back. All others in the group seemed pleased with their food. The bread was yummy and the complimentary dessert was out of this world. The first time I dined here the food was wonderful so perhaps this was just an off day for pesto. I would go back for a special occasion because Bella Monica did that right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014We booked our reservation for a group of moms with babies. The staff was very accommodating. They provided several high chairs and breadsticks for the kids. They were not bothered by our noises or messes! I've always loved this place for girls nights and date nights...now I love it for family time, too.Special Features:
- Very PleasedbuzzardDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant served wonderful and abundant food and featured great service provided by friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent gluten free optionsdaltonj001Dined on 6/28/2014We were quite excited to find a nice restaurant with such great gluten free options as well as excellent pizza. Loved the brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingPfistyuncDined on 6/26/2014I scheduled a business lunch there on Thursday and it was a disaster. Parking was almost impossible and eventually I had to park at the bank all the way across the street. The service was slow and completely disinterested and the food was terrible. Usually their food was pretty good but not this time. I had a meatball parm sub with a Caesar salad and both were just a wet sloppy mess. Overall it was a very disappointing experience and certainly embarrassing for me as the one who suggested this spot for a business lunch.
- Makes special days specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014My wife and I have always loved the food at Bella Monica. The Lasagna is fabulous. We have enjoyed dining here on special occasions like birthday's and anniversaries because they make an extra effort to make them special. Just be sure to mention what occasion you are celebrating in the notes to the Restaurant when using OpenTable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014Love this place. Especially when there is low volume with music and that they play tasteful music NOT LOUD JUNK! Somebody needs to wake up and provide honest choices with music levels. Sometimes the music is awful and too loud but there is no selection for that in review.Special Features:
- Gluten free menu a DreamGFLeaDined on 6/23/2014If you are gluten free, Bella Monica has an extensive menu...not just a few items, but a full menu! Delicious food and variety. Great service, atmosphere and friendly.Special Features:
- Great placestewtkDined on 6/21/2014The wait staff and manager were very attentive to our needs and the service is great. The food is not just run of the mill. They have things that you will find elsewhere, but I would say you would have a hard time finding anything better. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.