220 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barbaccosf.com/
- Phone: 4159551919
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: M-S: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Staffan Terje
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Barbacco’s cozy and modern dining room is available for full buyouts. During our private events we reproduce the convivial experience our regular guests enjoy every night. Rustic Italian food is our specialty!
- Private Party Contact: Isabella 4159550647
A word from Barbacco
Barbacco is a modern trattoria that reflects the vibrant city life of San Francisco and offers a casual dining experience that delivers exceptional wines, personable service, and high quality food inspired by recipes from all regions of Italy. Barbacco looks sleek and urbane, with a welcoming feel. The 66-seat restaurant is fitted with a rich black marble bar for counter seating complimented by a bright yellow beverage case displaying coolers of wine on one side and the building’s original brick walls on the other. There are also dark grain walnut individual tables and smaller communal tables that can accommodate up to 6 people. The space is full of energy and infused with a convivial atmosphere where guests share tables with friends or new acquaintances. Reservations are welcome, just keep in mind most of our seating capacity is comprised of counter space and shared communal tables. We also save room everyday for smaller walk-in parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbacco reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (117)great for lunch (76)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (53)notable wine list (52)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (31)special occasion (22)romantic (22)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good Casual DiningSFCAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Unlike it's sister next door, Perbacco, Barbacco is a casual venue that serves quality food. The risotto was good with lots of mushrooms. The serving portion was more than adequate. The brown sugar cake was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Popped in for a lunch date and while it was quite packed and loud, the food was excellent; when you can't get into Perbacco and need a pork sugo fix, Barbacco is there for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Went here for my birthday. The food was excellent but very disappointed in the service. Towards the end of the evening our waiter went to the back and sat down as though he had enough of us! So rude! Someone else actually brought out my birthday dessert and the check. We were watching the end of the Giants game and enjoying our last sips of wine. The waiter's rude behavior really ruined an otherwise fine birthday dinner. The food is very good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work lunchSFJC2014Dined on 8/27/2014Made reservations for a party of 3 at 11:30am on a Wednesday. Arrived on time and were seated right away at a communal table. Service was great, food tasty (ordered the tube pasta w/ pork ragu - good amount of meat, brussel sprouts as a side), and espresso for dessert. Overall, good experience. Co-workers were pleased with their entrees as well and one was a vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need new entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Love the appetizers, sides and desserts. I'm disappointed by the entrees - lack unique flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed With Menu ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014We arrived for dinner looking forward to our usual treat of Lasagna Bolognese only to find that the new chef had taken the lasagna off the menu! This was extremely disappointing as the main reason we come here is for the lasagna. The staff suggested we try a pasta dish with similar ingredients, but it just wasn't the same. The lasagna had wonderful gooey cheese on top and was just divine. They gave us free dessert to make up for our loss, but we were very sad all the same. New Chef, if you read this, please please bring back the lasagna!!
- Food is great and abundantAmelieDined on 8/25/2014Food is Italian type. The burrata is amazing. The pasta dishes are pretty big and the prices are reasonable. Good wine list. Nice service. We enjoyed our dinner very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the SalumiBinkyDined on 8/22/2014We tried 3 bruschettas - mushroom, liver and tomato - all very good toppings and the bread was great - large enough to cut in half to share. Kale salad was great. Gluten free (corn) pasta with tomatoes not so good - pasta was a bit dry and taste was OK but needed something - some herbs or lemon or ?? Pork cutlet was very tasty - could have been cooked just a tad less. But the spicy Salumi was definitely 5 star - we didn't know what to expect (I was thinking more like charcuterie) but it was spreadable with just a kick of spicy-ness. I believe it is house made - definitely try some.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!JacksonianDined on 8/21/2014We had a wonderful meal! The four of us started with bruschetta followed by four pasta dishes that we shared. All were outstanding. We finished the meal by sharing three of the deserts. All were great with the olive oil panna cotta being the favorite. I highly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- always fun and great foodlindafromsfVIPDined on 8/20/2014Barbacco never fails to provide great food, energetic scene and good sevice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pride in what they doTastebudDined on 8/20/2014It is so wonderful to know that not only ownership and management take so much care and pride in what they do, but knowing it carries throughout the restaurant staff from the host/ hostess to the wait staff to the chefs, is very apparent and refreshing. The owner stopped at our table and had so much passion in his business and as the food appeared, it demonstrated the passion and care that went into making it. The waiter was happy, energetic and professional- a good mix. And the efficiency and speed in service during lunch was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for exploring flavorsChefanieDined on 8/18/2014The food was all good except for the pork chops which were mostly uneatable fat and the Brussel sprouts which were fried to a cinder in duck fat, though there was not much of a duck fat flavor. The sound is loud which made it difficult. I loved the chicken liver spread but would have appreciated more then a smere. The pasta with mussels was extrodenary as were the dessert. As much as I enjoyed the evening, not sure I would go back because of the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Starts for a Quick Supperstepvox75VIPDined on 8/16/2014Made reservation for 8:45 for 2, waited 20 min for seats. Kitchen delivery slow. Roasted peach bruschette were smoky, but peaches were cold and prosciutto flat - thought dish needed salt, not provided by the prosciutto. Tried the corn rigatoni w/ sweet corn/cherry tomatoes, because ingredients are seasonal. Rigatoni dry and stuck together from warming before buttery corn mixture (fresh, sweet and tasty) was mixed into now-dry pasta. Hand-cut noodle with meatball dish was fine. Because of two 12+ min lags for food, didn't have time to savor the food and barely made our 9:55 film start time at the nearby Embarcadero Theater. We usually had plenty of time, allowing an hour+ with a reservation, for similar small meals in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Expensive WineOuagadougouDined on 8/15/2014Delicious and reasonable Italian food. The food is a bargain, the wine is too expensive. $14 for a fantastic plate of chitarra-cut pasta with Sicilian meatballs seems reasonable; $13 and $16 per glass for two average-size pours of decent but not memorable Italian wines is excessive. The grilled squid reminds us of Barcelona. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At 1st I was wrrd about the noiseCN65Dined on 8/15/2014This place is awesome for lunch. I had lunch there with a friend - we sat at the bar. At first I was concerned about the noise. I was meeting a friend I hadn't seen in a while and I was worried the noise would be too loud to have a conversation. The seating we had and the menu and our choices quickly removed those concerns. I had not eaten here before but had at the big brother location, Perbacco. The food here is equally impressive. I would highly recommend it. Great kale salad, special menu item: pasta tubes with pork and tomato sauce, awesome polenta and incredible butterscotch chocolate chunk gelato for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for after workwickedfoodieDined on 8/13/2014I can't imagine making a special trip to the Financial District but for post work dinner it is an excellent spot. The ambiance is relaxing, the food was delicious and the service was just right. Not too fussie but had everything we needed.Special Features:
- Great Food; Interesting MenuRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had an enjoyable meal. The menu at Barbacco is interesting, innovative. I would recommend the Brussell Sprouts!Special Features:
- Nice placeBob0117VIPDined on 8/12/2014Very nice atmosphere with a lot of great wine choices! Appetizers were also excellent. A bit pricey.Special Features:
- Good food, funky seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Communal and bar seating only ... and lots of bar seating. The chitarra pasta dish was fantastic. All very well priced for what you get.Special Features:
- DissapointeddinerdudeDined on 8/9/2014I went to Barbacco for a first date as it was recommended highly on yelp. We were seated at the bar for dinner so we sat side by side and it tool about 15-30 minutes until anyone came to take our order. When he did he didnt ask if it was our first time or show us around the menu or make any suggestions. I had to ask, and then when we made our order he said it was good but we totally ordered wrong and had tons of dishes with bread and it was the wrong way to go. Anyways, food was good but I would not go back when there are so many great options in the city.Special Features:
- SunLovingSueVIPDined on 8/8/2014bustling atmosphere. Be ready to sit at communal tables. they seat six so if you are a pair you could be with 2 other couples. sitting at the long, low bar is another alternative. The Bruschetta is yummy. Fun place to dine and good food and service.Special Features:
- Tasty & Pleasanta24avrDined on 8/7/2014Of course the food was excellent but the clinch was the service. Casually attentive with great wine & menu knowledge, a relaxed sense of humor. Will go back & will have those decedent Brussel sprouts again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food & Good ValueBigTeamDined on 8/6/2014My visit to Barbacco was amazing. My friend and I enjoyed the offerings from the menu, and we really enjoyed the delicious flank steak. The chefs covered the steak in a tasty sauce and herb blend, which made this already delicious steak even more scrumptious. I also highly recommend the Brussels sprouts -- cooked to perfection. My only disappointment was that we ordered the 'nduja, which was originally forgotten with our order. We reminded the server and they provided the delicious appetizer as a side to our main dish, on the house. I will definitely be visiting Barbacco again in the near future.Special Features:
- Worth the waitCrimsonDined on 8/6/2014I've been wanting to try Barbacco since it opened, but just haven't had the opportunity to go. But, finally had a chance when my friend and I met to catch up. We ordered the roasted peach and prosciutto, chicken liver pate bruschettas; roasted carrots; polenta; orecchiette pasta; and the brown butter shortcake for dessert. Everything was DELISCIOUS!!! Our server was genuinely nice, and made great recommendations. My friend and I agreed that we will definitely going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimefoodieDined on 8/6/2014Since were were on or lunch, celebrating a co-workers birthday, we were served quickly which allowed ample time to visit and chat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed the food, especially love the Farrotta. Very pleasant hostess, kept us informed on the wait time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual yet distinctiveTrnrmomVIPDined on 8/2/2014Its been awhile since we've been here - ordering by iPad is gone. There are still the high communal tables up front and the more traditional tables in back. Decor is still modern & stylishly dark. We ordered 3 vegetable plates - corn, beets & carrots - the corn was the best of the bunch. Although tasty, nothing really stood out. We ordered farroto, pacheri (pasta tubes with pork ragu), orecchiette (pasta ears with fennel sausage), and spaghetti with mussels. All were well seasoned and more savory than the vegetable plates. The kale salad was very good with just enough sweetness to offset the kale's bite. We had the homemade gelato - the chocolate creme fraiche was excellent and more successful than the butter caramel vanilla.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014This is the second time I had the orecchiette, & it was excellent again! The servings of the pasta & the salad were generous. Overall, a good value restaurant with very good food. Our server was spot on - checking on us at appropriate times, yet seamless.Special Features:
- SFfanDined on 7/29/2014The staff is incredibly friendly and thoughtful, sensitive. Would be a model for any eating establishment. It induces the same in the clientele.Special Features:
- GreatfindDined on 7/26/2014We were all very pleased with our meals! It was a very busy place but our waitress and service staff treated us as if we were the only people in the place. They answered every one of our questions regarding items on the menu and recommendations. I will tell others about this place. There were however some extremely loud people at the table next to us!Special Features:
- Fun weekend night dinnerBellaDined on 7/25/2014My sister and I went for dinner here last friday and we really enjoyed our meal. We sat at the bar and our server was very attentive. We ordered a mezzo of red wine and it was a generous serving. All of our food was delicious, particularly the ice cream (gelato?) we had for dessert. Quite a fun bar scene and a good place to go on a friday night.Special Features:
- Great food againOutwest100Dined on 7/25/2014They really do a great job and the crowded room shows it. The food is to notch and the only negative are the crowds and shared tables with generally unfriendly folks. Great again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good valueFoodie4VIPDined on 7/25/2014Came for a late lunch. I like the variety of small plates that are well-priced. Good selection of wines by the glass. Service was a little spotty (our waiter changed without notice).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodLeePDined on 7/24/2014The food and service was very good. We went here the night before getting married at City Hall and they surprised us with a special "Congratulations" dessert plate, which was a nice touch. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better menu online700lbgirlDined on 7/24/2014We chose this restaurant based on the online menu and was disappointed because items listed online looked much better than what we were given. The odd and creepy movie that kept playing was not a mood enhancer in the slightest. Food was below average for the cost. The wine menu will through you off with the overly descriptive list.
- Super San Francisco EaterySchmidtylovesLoDined on 7/23/2014Great evening at Barbacco, food was delicious with excellent wine to accompany. Service was friendly and efficient, casual at the bar dining. Even had delicious gluten free bruschetta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotten worsedatenitesfVIPDined on 7/22/2014Used to have better executed dishes and bigger too. Brussel sprouts are still amazing, desert was great, but other than that all forgettable. Still a nice spot, but not as outstanding as once was.Special Features:
- Great Seasonal Food, Attentive SvcDeuxgourmandesDined on 7/22/2014A friend and I dined @ Barbacco, sharing a series of small plates -generally the 3-item samplers-. Our server was warm, knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation of each dish, and helpful in making recommendations, after asking us a few questions. We enjoyed seasonal dishes, including a summer corn salad with cherry tomatoes, grilled zucchini, a bruschetta that contained grilled peaches, cheeses, and the housemade ice cream. Overall, the food was terrific. (The roasted beet salad could have used a more assertive vinaigrette to bring up the beets. We also had a longer than usual wait for the cheese course. These are both minor points.) Thanks to the Barbacco team, including the kitchen staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClarebearDined on 7/19/2014I love Barbacco! I have been to dinner at Barbacco at least 10 times. Something was off this last time, perhaps because we sat at the bar? The staff were non-attentive and unprofessional. This experience won't color my overall feeling of appreciation for Barbacco - I'll definitely be back! But I thought you should know.Special Features:
- Nice environment - good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I went to dinner here with 3 girlfriends over the weekend. We shared all of our meals and everything was good. Our favorite was the fettuchini verde.