220 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barbaccosf.com/
- Phone: 4159551919
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: M-S: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Staffan Terje
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Barbacco’s cozy and modern dining room is available for full buyouts. During our private events we reproduce the convivial experience our regular guests enjoy every night. Rustic Italian food is our specialty!
- Private Party Contact: Isabella 4159550647
A word from Barbacco
Barbacco is a modern trattoria that reflects the vibrant city life of San Francisco and offers a casual dining experience that delivers exceptional wines, personable service, and high quality food inspired by recipes from all regions of Italy. Barbacco looks sleek and urbane, with a welcoming feel. The 66-seat restaurant is fitted with a rich black marble bar for counter seating complimented by a bright yellow beverage case displaying coolers of wine on one side and the building’s original brick walls on the other. There are also dark grain walnut individual tables and smaller communal tables that can accommodate up to 6 people. The space is full of energy and infused with a convivial atmosphere where guests share tables with friends or new acquaintances. Reservations are welcome, just keep in mind most of our seating capacity is comprised of counter space and shared communal tables. We also save room everyday for smaller walk-in parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbacco reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (131)great for lunch (78)hot spot (71)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (44)special occasion (27)romantic (23)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great place 2 dine on a 1st date!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Ambiance was great, food was awesome, our waiter Alex was super nice and helpful. Definitely a great place to come back to....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as usual.NYSFwomanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great good, wine and service. Never disappoints. The risotto was creamy tasty loveliness. Bruschetta with cherry tomatoes had the perfect amount of garlic. Yummy. The fried polenta with fresh herb was delightful. Different recipe than before, but just as tasty. Great beginning to girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LellaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Tagliato delicious, steak cooked perfectly. Tuscan chicken liver pate (crostini Toscana) good. Pasta good. Valpolicella good. An Italian styled restaurant owned and run by an Italian. Never disappointed. Both owner and wife lovely people.Special Features:
- One miscalculation on a dishBillAVIPDined on 10/10/2014Barbacco is as advertised - a very good trattoria in the Italian tradition with reasonable prices and excellent choices in beer and wine though we still recoil at at the practice of keeping the price of food reasonable while compensating by elevating the prices of wines. Like some other restaurants, Barbacco justifies high wine prices by selecting uncommon wines from small wineries. Many less expensive local and imported wines are just as interesting, and we would like to see a few on the menu. The one miscalculation: spaghetti with [tender, succulent] mussels had so much red chile added that we could not eat the pasta once it had absorbed the sauce. This may be Mexican; it is definitely not Italian.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014The salumni, bruschetta, pasta, brussel sprouts and chicken were all excellent. However, a good 20 minutes passed before we received our appetizers. Finally we were told it was due to a high volume of take out orders. It would seem a restaurant of this caliber should have the staffing and ability to manage the kitchen better.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Food is pretty good. Nice place for business lunches, prices are quite reasonable. There's a bit of general background buzz and noise, so conversations might have to be louder to be heard. The fried brussels sprouts are really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Tables, but otherwise greatMuncherDined on 10/4/2014Not a fan of the collective dining because the tables are so small. Otherwise the food was great and our server was also great and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great restaurantKimmyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We love the meatball pasta. The sausage pasta with green sauce. My husband loved the steak, it was so tender. We will be back here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NytomkeVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had made my reservation based on a friends recomendation. After reading several negative reviews about the service I was aprehensive. Our server Jee was knowledgeable and attentive. The space was busy on a Friday night but overall an enjoyable evening. The meatball dish was the winner at our table. The orecchiette was swimming in pesto and is the primary reason for my three star review. I will give barbacco a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014This is my fourth time here. Each has been as good as the previous one. Great food!Special Features:
- Good Food, Bad ServiceAbbySFDined on 9/22/2014Our food was great, but the service was sub not. We had two waiters who seemed to be confused about which one of them was supposed to be serving our table. At the end of the night, when we went to split the bill, the waiter overcharged us. When we brought it to his attention, he denied it, but then after 15 minutes of explaining the issue to him he finally agreed and went to "fix" the bill. It was never fixed. We over paid simply because we were trying to get somewhere and didn't have any more time to fix the issue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014Disappointed. Hadn't been to barbacco in over a year and was disappointed in the lack of service and the quality of the main course.Special Features:
- Nothing Bad to SaydontnormallydoreviewsDined on 9/17/2014It was nice that they brought you drinks as you waited for your reservation, however it did feel a little weird standing by the door with a glass of wine....I felt like I was at a bar bar.....maybe put some seats there so you don't look like such an alcoholic who couldn't wait till they were seated...great staff though.Special Features:
- disappointed wth the serverMay565Dined on 9/17/2014the ambiance was great and the hostesses were awesome and friendly... but very disappointed with our server. she looked like she was not interested serving us and gave me a glass of water and just slid the glass next to me. my friends and i observed her and noticed that she was too nice to the other 2 tables and checked on them all the time and skipped ours. Very disappointed. And she never offered if we wanted dessert, and we had to ask for the dessert menu. You could really see she wasnt happy at all. The server was the only reason why i rated this 3 star. Food was good and we will still go back and recommend the place. BTW, the server's name is Leona. Hopefuly, next time around, she won't be our server!Special Features:
- One of threeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Asking them to pair the menu is the way to go. I always feel taken care of. You can't go wrong with Barbacco/Parbacco, Michael Mina or Tadich. All within doorways of each other. We had dinner at Barbacco and desert at Mina. Perfect.Special Features:
- Cej1Dined on 9/13/2014Moderately priced, high quality food. Great for groups of 6, as many tables are communal. Attentive service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre theaterSunLovingSueVIPDined on 9/13/2014near the Embarcadero 1 theater so great for dinner before the movie. The bruschetta are delicious and the home made pasta dishes unique. Great service and nice wine list by the glass. Communal tables for those who like that - I prefer a private two top!Special Features:
- Great food and quick serviceKevinDined on 9/12/2014The brussel sprouts are to die for! The pasta dishes are tasty, and the portions are generous. I would also recommend their desserts, as they are all pure perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingGJFoodiesDined on 9/6/2014We keep coming back to share everything we order because no one wants to miss anything that comes to the table. Especially love the chitarra Sicilian meatballs--great texture and spices--and the tender, flavorful taglieta roasted flat-iron steak. The fried polenta and the chick peas are excellent together as a starters. Can be a communal dining experience if you want, or a table for two. Dessert of brown butter shortcake with berries and crime fraiche--mouthfuls of wonderfulness. You can only get beer and wine at Barbacco, but we arrived early for our reservation and had served by the friendly bartender at the nearly adjacent Perbacco sister establishment while waiting for our table. Overall a great evening for foodies.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMelanieVIPDined on 9/4/2014Delicious food - especially the various bruschetta options - peach and prosciutto is my favorite. Busy but attentive service (they helpfully leave a water carafe, though, so you needn't worry about an empty glass). Good energy. At least at lunch, private tables are limited - mostly shared tables or bar seating. Not necessarily a bad thing, but worth knowing going in!Special Features:
- SusanDined on 9/2/2014By 2 pm the noisy lunch crowd was gone and the restaurant was very quiet and we enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to raise our voices in order to be heard. The waiter was very helpful in explaining the menu to us and we each chose something different - pesto pasta with spinach/sausage, pork ragu, and corn gluten-free pasta. Surprisingly, the corn pasta was the overall favorite which we would order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks,Jee Kim!TokyoDined on 8/30/2014Friendly service and great food. The little noisy, but not bad.Special Features:
- Good Casual DiningSFCAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Unlike it's sister next door, Perbacco, Barbacco is a casual venue that serves quality food. The risotto was good with lots of mushrooms. The serving portion was more than adequate. The brown sugar cake was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Popped in for a lunch date and while it was quite packed and loud, the food was excellent; when you can't get into Perbacco and need a pork sugo fix, Barbacco is there for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Went here for my birthday. The food was excellent but very disappointed in the service. Towards the end of the evening our waiter went to the back and sat down as though he had enough of us! So rude! Someone else actually brought out my birthday dessert and the check. We were watching the end of the Giants game and enjoying our last sips of wine. The waiter's rude behavior really ruined an otherwise fine birthday dinner. The food is very good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work lunchSFJC2014Dined on 8/27/2014Made reservations for a party of 3 at 11:30am on a Wednesday. Arrived on time and were seated right away at a communal table. Service was great, food tasty (ordered the tube pasta w/ pork ragu - good amount of meat, brussel sprouts as a side), and espresso for dessert. Overall, good experience. Co-workers were pleased with their entrees as well and one was a vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need new entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Love the appetizers, sides and desserts. I'm disappointed by the entrees - lack unique flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed With Menu ChangeSFDinerDined on 8/26/2014We arrived for dinner looking forward to our usual treat of Lasagna Bolognese only to find that the new chef had taken the lasagna off the menu! This was extremely disappointing as the main reason we come here is for the lasagna. The staff suggested we try a pasta dish with similar ingredients, but it just wasn't the same. The lasagna had wonderful gooey cheese on top and was just divine. They gave us free dessert to make up for our loss, but we were very sad all the same. New Chef, if you read this, please please bring back the lasagna!!
- Food is great and abundantAmelieDined on 8/25/2014Food is Italian type. The burrata is amazing. The pasta dishes are pretty big and the prices are reasonable. Good wine list. Nice service. We enjoyed our dinner very much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the SalumiBinkyDined on 8/22/2014We tried 3 bruschettas - mushroom, liver and tomato - all very good toppings and the bread was great - large enough to cut in half to share. Kale salad was great. Gluten free (corn) pasta with tomatoes not so good - pasta was a bit dry and taste was OK but needed something - some herbs or lemon or ?? Pork cutlet was very tasty - could have been cooked just a tad less. But the spicy Salumi was definitely 5 star - we didn't know what to expect (I was thinking more like charcuterie) but it was spreadable with just a kick of spicy-ness. I believe it is house made - definitely try some.Special Features:
- Amazing as usual!Kantdance13Dined on 8/22/2014I've been coming here for years. I love Perbacco, but when I want to have a quick bite I go to Barbacco. It's a fantastic menu that offers small bites as well as entrees. I find that the menu is perfectly designed for sharing a lot of the small plates without necessarily feeling like you've over ordered(which I always do anyways because the food is outstanding!). Try something different everytime: that's half the fun! Fantastic wine selection, accompanied by a staff that is both knowledgeable and friendly makes this spot one of my go to's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!JacksonianDined on 8/21/2014We had a wonderful meal! The four of us started with bruschetta followed by four pasta dishes that we shared. All were outstanding. We finished the meal by sharing three of the deserts. All were great with the olive oil panna cotta being the favorite. I highly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- always fun and great foodlindafromsfVIPDined on 8/20/2014Barbacco never fails to provide great food, energetic scene and good sevice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pride in what they doTastebudDined on 8/20/2014It is so wonderful to know that not only ownership and management take so much care and pride in what they do, but knowing it carries throughout the restaurant staff from the host/ hostess to the wait staff to the chefs, is very apparent and refreshing. The owner stopped at our table and had so much passion in his business and as the food appeared, it demonstrated the passion and care that went into making it. The waiter was happy, energetic and professional- a good mix. And the efficiency and speed in service during lunch was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for exploring flavorsChefanieDined on 8/18/2014The food was all good except for the pork chops which were mostly uneatable fat and the Brussel sprouts which were fried to a cinder in duck fat, though there was not much of a duck fat flavor. The sound is loud which made it difficult. I loved the chicken liver spread but would have appreciated more then a smere. The pasta with mussels was extrodenary as were the dessert. As much as I enjoyed the evening, not sure I would go back because of the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Starts for a Quick Supperstepvox75VIPDined on 8/16/2014Made reservation for 8:45 for 2, waited 20 min for seats. Kitchen delivery slow. Roasted peach bruschette were smoky, but peaches were cold and prosciutto flat - thought dish needed salt, not provided by the prosciutto. Tried the corn rigatoni w/ sweet corn/cherry tomatoes, because ingredients are seasonal. Rigatoni dry and stuck together from warming before buttery corn mixture (fresh, sweet and tasty) was mixed into now-dry pasta. Hand-cut noodle with meatball dish was fine. Because of two 12+ min lags for food, didn't have time to savor the food and barely made our 9:55 film start time at the nearby Embarcadero Theater. We usually had plenty of time, allowing an hour+ with a reservation, for similar small meals in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Expensive WineOuagadougouDined on 8/15/2014Delicious and reasonable Italian food. The food is a bargain, the wine is too expensive. $14 for a fantastic plate of chitarra-cut pasta with Sicilian meatballs seems reasonable; $13 and $16 per glass for two average-size pours of decent but not memorable Italian wines is excessive. The grilled squid reminds us of Barcelona. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At 1st I was wrrd about the noiseCN65Dined on 8/15/2014This place is awesome for lunch. I had lunch there with a friend - we sat at the bar. At first I was concerned about the noise. I was meeting a friend I hadn't seen in a while and I was worried the noise would be too loud to have a conversation. The seating we had and the menu and our choices quickly removed those concerns. I had not eaten here before but had at the big brother location, Perbacco. The food here is equally impressive. I would highly recommend it. Great kale salad, special menu item: pasta tubes with pork and tomato sauce, awesome polenta and incredible butterscotch chocolate chunk gelato for dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for after workwickedfoodieDined on 8/13/2014I can't imagine making a special trip to the Financial District but for post work dinner it is an excellent spot. The ambiance is relaxing, the food was delicious and the service was just right. Not too fussie but had everything we needed.Special Features:
- Great Food; Interesting MenuRobFromDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had an enjoyable meal. The menu at Barbacco is interesting, innovative. I would recommend the Brussell Sprouts!Special Features: