220 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barbaccosf.com/
- Phone: (415) 955-1919
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: M-S: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Staffan Terje
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Barbacco’s cozy and modern dining room is available for full buyouts. During our private events we reproduce the convivial experience our regular guests enjoy every night. Rustic Italian food is our specialty!
- Private Party Contact: Isabella 4159550647
A word from Barbacco
Barbacco is a modern trattoria that reflects the vibrant city life of San Francisco and offers a casual dining experience that delivers exceptional wines, personable service, and high quality food inspired by recipes from all regions of Italy. Barbacco looks sleek and urbane, with a welcoming feel. The 66-seat restaurant is fitted with a rich black marble bar for counter seating complimented by a bright yellow beverage case displaying coolers of wine on one side and the building’s original brick walls on the other. There are also dark grain walnut individual tables and smaller communal tables that can accommodate up to 6 people. The space is full of energy and infused with a convivial atmosphere where guests share tables with friends or new acquaintances. Reservations are welcome, just keep in mind most of our seating capacity is comprised of counter space and shared communal tables. We also save room everyday for smaller walk-in parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barbacco reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (135)great for lunch (73)hot spot (63)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (52)vibrant bar scene (36)special occasion (28)romantic (21)late-night find (11)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food, well pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014Food was outstanding (got to try those Brussels sprouts). Service was attentive. Great wine list too that won't break the bank. One of the best hundred-dollar-dinner-for-two ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014The brussel sprouts are a must have, they are prepared with duck fat, so delicious! Also the grilled octopus! YummmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Not for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014The food was excellent (everyone loved what they had), and service was fast. With that said, I wouldn't recommend it for a 2-person business lunch. Even with a reservation they don't guarantee a table - and we were seated next to each other at the bar; made it very difficult to have a work conversation with someone I didn't know well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great small bites, wines by glassJFK2SFOVIPDined on 11/4/2014Winning combo of tasty small bites, rustic pastas, and affordable wines by the glass or carafe. Service at counter can actually be better than at the tables. Bigger groups of 6-8 may enjoy one of the communal tables, and try everything on the menu! Never had good luck with desserts, though. Stick with the cheeses.Special Features:
- Wine, wine and more wine please.BoomerDined on 11/4/2014As you probably grasp for my title I enjoyed the wine. Probably some of the best I've ever had (and that's hard to say in California). The food was amazing although portion can take a hit here the flavor factor is all there. Definitely a great spot a little pricey but you definitely get what you paid for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable and deliciousjohngaffneyDined on 11/3/2014Great list of interesting and unusual Italian wines. Pasta perfectly prepared. Meatballs with multiple levels of flavor. Sinfully delicious crispy Brussels sprouts in an anchovy lemon sauce. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Very noisyStinkyVIPDined on 10/30/2014Food was great but the restaurant is so noisy you can't even really talk to each other.
- So-sofoodiegrlDined on 10/29/2014Had high expectations and was a little disappointed. Food was pretty salty, service was a little off. Our waitress forgot to put in several items on our order. She was very nice and clearly apologetic about the mistake but happened twice. The bruschetta were fantastic, we tried several. I had the meatball dish with chard and Even though it wasn't a large portion, I couldn't eat it all because it was too salty. They did have an excellent wine list. Overall was decent but I expected more from a place with their reputation.Special Features:
- Nice eveningDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 10/27/2014Inventive dishes that did not disappoint! Extensive wine list, although I hadn't heard of most of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine but too service slowAlexDined on 10/27/2014Our party of 4 did not have a good experience. After the apps (one of the salads that came out was the wrong one and returned), the main dishes came very late, and we were experiencing hunger pangs by then. The party sitting next to us at the communal table arrived 10 minutes after we did and received their apps after us, but were served their main course before us. It then took a very long time again to waive down the server to get our check after we'd finished the meal. A 1.5 hours long lunch is not OK for FiDi. Also the folks next to us had a separate server, and at least once both our server and theirs were at the table, talking over each other, and it was distracting and annoying. We don't plan to have office outings here again.
- Italian tapastrufflecatDined on 10/24/2014Think Italian tapas. Lots of delicious a la carte goodies to share. The fried Brussell sprouts are amazing. We sat at the bar and the service couldn't have been better. The spinach pasta dish had one of the best Bolognese sauces I've ever had, and that includes in Italy. Other than the pasta, though, most of the dishes are not very Italian. No matter, they are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great med food and funKellyDDined on 10/23/2014Mediterranean cuisine, a fun, Affordable and different wine list, a findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perbacco or BarbaccoApolloETGDined on 10/23/2014You can't go wrong with either restaurant. Couldn't get in to Perbacco, and had just as good a meal at BarbaccoSpecial Features:
- Solidly good modern ItalianHazeEaterDined on 10/21/2014Barbacco is neither a traditional "North beach" style Italian restaurant nor an upscale, innovative-type California restaurant. It's just good Italian food, made with modern, local ingredients, served nicely at an affordable price. There are nice starters and stuff to share, good pastas, and a few good mains. The wine list is great - a high number of good wines served by the glass or carafe. The décor is informal but nice - good enough for a minor celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPatrDined on 10/20/2014This restaurant is a unique Italian place. The food is high quality, very creative and delicious. The service is accommodating and the ambiance is fun. The noise level is pretty high though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still One of My Favs!MichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 10/20/2014If you enjoy the quality of Perbacco, but want a more casual (i.e., be yourself) atmosphere, then this is the place to go. I come here often, usually going for their mussels (the tastiest in town) and the wonderful and friendly servers, maitre d', and manager. The prices are unbelievably more than fair for a downtown restaurant with this quality of food, wine, and ingredients.Special Features:
- Great place 2 dine on a 1st date!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Ambiance was great, food was awesome, our waiter Alex was super nice and helpful. Definitely a great place to come back to....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as usual.NYSFwomanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great good, wine and service. Never disappoints. The risotto was creamy tasty loveliness. Bruschetta with cherry tomatoes had the perfect amount of garlic. Yummy. The fried polenta with fresh herb was delightful. Different recipe than before, but just as tasty. Great beginning to girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LellaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Tagliato delicious, steak cooked perfectly. Tuscan chicken liver pate (crostini Toscana) good. Pasta good. Valpolicella good. An Italian styled restaurant owned and run by an Italian. Never disappointed. Both owner and wife lovely people.Special Features:
- One miscalculation on a dishBillAVIPDined on 10/10/2014Barbacco is as advertised - a very good trattoria in the Italian tradition with reasonable prices and excellent choices in beer and wine though we still recoil at at the practice of keeping the price of food reasonable while compensating by elevating the prices of wines. Like some other restaurants, Barbacco justifies high wine prices by selecting uncommon wines from small wineries. Many less expensive local and imported wines are just as interesting, and we would like to see a few on the menu. The one miscalculation: spaghetti with [tender, succulent] mussels had so much red chile added that we could not eat the pasta once it had absorbed the sauce. This may be Mexican; it is definitely not Italian.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014The salumni, bruschetta, pasta, brussel sprouts and chicken were all excellent. However, a good 20 minutes passed before we received our appetizers. Finally we were told it was due to a high volume of take out orders. It would seem a restaurant of this caliber should have the staffing and ability to manage the kitchen better.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Food is pretty good. Nice place for business lunches, prices are quite reasonable. There's a bit of general background buzz and noise, so conversations might have to be louder to be heard. The fried brussels sprouts are really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Tables, but otherwise greatMuncherDined on 10/4/2014Not a fan of the collective dining because the tables are so small. Otherwise the food was great and our server was also great and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great restaurantKimmyVIPDined on 9/27/2014We love the meatball pasta. The sausage pasta with green sauce. My husband loved the steak, it was so tender. We will be back here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NytomkeVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had made my reservation based on a friends recomendation. After reading several negative reviews about the service I was aprehensive. Our server Jee was knowledgeable and attentive. The space was busy on a Friday night but overall an enjoyable evening. The meatball dish was the winner at our table. The orecchiette was swimming in pesto and is the primary reason for my three star review. I will give barbacco a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!Luv2EatDined on 9/26/2014This is my fourth time here. Each has been as good as the previous one. Great food!Special Features:
- Good Food, Bad ServiceAbbySFDined on 9/22/2014Our food was great, but the service was sub not. We had two waiters who seemed to be confused about which one of them was supposed to be serving our table. At the end of the night, when we went to split the bill, the waiter overcharged us. When we brought it to his attention, he denied it, but then after 15 minutes of explaining the issue to him he finally agreed and went to "fix" the bill. It was never fixed. We over paid simply because we were trying to get somewhere and didn't have any more time to fix the issue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014Disappointed. Hadn't been to barbacco in over a year and was disappointed in the lack of service and the quality of the main course.Special Features:
- great food but cramped seatingme1eatzDined on 9/18/2014I really enjoyed the food and think they have great options for vegetarians too (I'm not one, but my friend is). The communal seating was a bit cramped and awkward, and pretty loud inside.Special Features:
- Nothing Bad to SaydontnormallydoreviewsDined on 9/17/2014It was nice that they brought you drinks as you waited for your reservation, however it did feel a little weird standing by the door with a glass of wine....I felt like I was at a bar bar.....maybe put some seats there so you don't look like such an alcoholic who couldn't wait till they were seated...great staff though.Special Features:
- disappointed wth the serverMay565Dined on 9/17/2014the ambiance was great and the hostesses were awesome and friendly... but very disappointed with our server. she looked like she was not interested serving us and gave me a glass of water and just slid the glass next to me. my friends and i observed her and noticed that she was too nice to the other 2 tables and checked on them all the time and skipped ours. Very disappointed. And she never offered if we wanted dessert, and we had to ask for the dessert menu. You could really see she wasnt happy at all. The server was the only reason why i rated this 3 star. Food was good and we will still go back and recommend the place. BTW, the server's name is Leona. Hopefuly, next time around, she won't be our server!Special Features:
- One of threeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Asking them to pair the menu is the way to go. I always feel taken care of. You can't go wrong with Barbacco/Parbacco, Michael Mina or Tadich. All within doorways of each other. We had dinner at Barbacco and desert at Mina. Perfect.Special Features:
- Cej1Dined on 9/13/2014Moderately priced, high quality food. Great for groups of 6, as many tables are communal. Attentive service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre theaterSunLovingSueVIPDined on 9/13/2014near the Embarcadero 1 theater so great for dinner before the movie. The bruschetta are delicious and the home made pasta dishes unique. Great service and nice wine list by the glass. Communal tables for those who like that - I prefer a private two top!Special Features:
- Great food and quick serviceKevinDined on 9/12/2014The brussel sprouts are to die for! The pasta dishes are tasty, and the portions are generous. I would also recommend their desserts, as they are all pure perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharingGJFoodiesDined on 9/6/2014We keep coming back to share everything we order because no one wants to miss anything that comes to the table. Especially love the chitarra Sicilian meatballs--great texture and spices--and the tender, flavorful taglieta roasted flat-iron steak. The fried polenta and the chick peas are excellent together as a starters. Can be a communal dining experience if you want, or a table for two. Dessert of brown butter shortcake with berries and crime fraiche--mouthfuls of wonderfulness. You can only get beer and wine at Barbacco, but we arrived early for our reservation and had served by the friendly bartender at the nearly adjacent Perbacco sister establishment while waiting for our table. Overall a great evening for foodies.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMelanieVIPDined on 9/4/2014Delicious food - especially the various bruschetta options - peach and prosciutto is my favorite. Busy but attentive service (they helpfully leave a water carafe, though, so you needn't worry about an empty glass). Good energy. At least at lunch, private tables are limited - mostly shared tables or bar seating. Not necessarily a bad thing, but worth knowing going in!Special Features:
- SusanDined on 9/2/2014By 2 pm the noisy lunch crowd was gone and the restaurant was very quiet and we enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to raise our voices in order to be heard. The waiter was very helpful in explaining the menu to us and we each chose something different - pesto pasta with spinach/sausage, pork ragu, and corn gluten-free pasta. Surprisingly, the corn pasta was the overall favorite which we would order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks,Jee Kim!TokyoDined on 8/30/2014Friendly service and great food. The little noisy, but not bad.Special Features:
- Good Casual DiningSFCAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Unlike it's sister next door, Perbacco, Barbacco is a casual venue that serves quality food. The risotto was good with lots of mushrooms. The serving portion was more than adequate. The brown sugar cake was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.