Balaban's - Chesterfield
1772 Clarkson Rd
Chesterfield, MO 63017Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Balaban's - Chesterfield
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.balabanswine.com/
- Phone: (636) 449-6700
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, French
- Executive Chef: D.Scott Phillips
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service on and off premise with delivery avaliable
A word from Balaban's - Chesterfield
Balaban's continues the tradition of the Cental West End location with a new concept in Chesterfield. Balaban's operates full service restaurant and retail wine shop with the same classic dishes such as the Beef Wellington, Cucumber Bisque and Trout Pancake. All of the bottles on the Wine Spectator's award winning wine list are sold at a retail cost with a small $8 corkage fee.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Balaban's - Chesterfield - Best Restaurants in Chesterfield ›
Balaban's - Chesterfield reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (30)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food - enjoying Balaban's Anniversary WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014The food is always excellent at Balaban's. On this occasion we really enjoyed their Anniversary tasting menu. We are regulars here and always enjoy the food, outstanding wine selection along with the excellent service. The number of patrons varies significantly - sometimes you can have the place almost to yourself while other times it is quite busy. Either way - we come away pleased with the food and service. If you can't make the anniversary deal, I recommend Monday nights -- they have a set price tasting menu that is always good along with no corkage... tough to beat. Nothing wrong with the other nights of the week though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MODiningDined on 11/14/2014We visited Balaban's on a Tuesday night and it was bustiling as usual. Recommend calling ahead to be sure to get a table. Service is always a plus. I particularly noticed the busboy - he was so attentive and always with a smile. Patrons around you are friendly and there is a generally "fun" atmosphere. Steve makes a point to make the rounds to make sure everyone knows he is glad to see them. And then the food...great menu selection and perfect portion size. I had the stuffed chicken and will certainly get it again. Everything right down to the vegetables served with the main course was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BenedictineMonastaryDined on 11/7/2014All in in all a fine dining experience, and we would highly recommend Balaban's for a delightful evening out.Special Features:
- Awful service - understaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/3/2014I have never written a review for a restaurant before, and I have been to this restaurant before, but the service was so bad I am writing my 1st review ever. We accidentally went on a Monday night when they have a specially priced menu, so the restaurant was crowded. We waited more than 5 minutes for someone to show us to a table, and waited 15 minutes for a server to come take a drink order. There was then a mix-up in terms of which server was covering our table, so we waited another 10-15 minutes for anyone to come over and discuss specials/take our food order. If they are going to have such high traffic, they need to have more than 2 servers. I like the idea of this restaurant, but this isn't the 1st time service has been a problem.
- All Good!jjr70Dined on 11/1/2014Food was great, service was great, and prices were right! I have nothing but good things to say...check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderstaffedfoodwinenotesVIPDined on 10/27/2014On the Monday night we dined they were obviously understaffed and the wait times were unacceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.CoelDined on 10/20/2014The Monday evening Balabargain was so good I went back. I was disapointed I had the flatbread the second evening; it was good but I think the other options would have been better. The Heart of Palm and spinach salads were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept brunch secret in townUnpaidbillDined on 10/19/2014We've been there several times for Sunday brunch. To us, it's the best kept brunch secret in town. Well worth the visit.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service, Food & WinePhinphanstlDined on 10/18/2014Balaban's wine list is impeccable and I like the way reds are selected from the racks. Eight of us were at dinner and all of us had scrumptious meals. Megan was an outstanding server and a huge help with food and wine selection. We will be back and specifically sit in her area. High praises for everything and everyone. A very delightful night. Looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER A BAD MEALOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014I've dined here many times. Enough times to catch a kitchen on a bad night. Their food is so consistently awesome, I don't know how they do it. The wine store concept is unique for the area. You can buy a great bottle of wine at a reasonable price and take it to your table and pay a fair $8 corkage fee.Special Features:
- ExcellentWineQueenDined on 9/27/2014Calamari was very good. Also enjoyed the hearts of palm salad - excellent! Had the Josh Cabernet - one of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasualDinerDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I went to Balaban's for a Sunday brunch to try something different. I was not even aware they served brunch until doing a search on Open Table. Will definitely be coming back. The food was great, the service wonderful and the restaurant was not crowded or cramped (an unfortunately experience we have had at many other Sunday brunches). In addition to agreeing that we will be back for Sunday brunch, looking at their wine selection we also agreed that the next time we are buying a bottle of wine, this is where we are coming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Weird AmbianceOnADateVIPDined on 9/18/2014Was very confused when I walked in to the restaurant. It's not very apparent when you walk in where you're supposed to go to be seated. Once we figured that out we were seated in the "restaurant." It was more like eating in the middle of a wine store. Actually that's exactly what it was. The ambiance had the feel of cafe that would be known for sandwiches but the menu of an upscale, trendy restaurant. It was an odd mix. The food was tasty and the menu was overall very appealing. I thought the price paid did not match the portion size but again, the food tasted good. Due to the ambiance of the restaurant I would most likely not return for dinner. I can see this being a good lunch spot, but nothing else. Unless you enjoy eating in a store.Special Features:
- Group LunchFranDined on 8/20/2014I had a reservation for 6, and everything went very well. The food was great and the server was very friendly and helpful. I would return to Balaban's in the future but only with a small group of 6 or less. See private note to the restaurant below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good tonightStraightShooterDined on 8/13/2014Off night at Balabans. My wife and I go for the food, wine is good too. However, service is generally below average and other than my salmon plate, food was cold and not as good as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed in the pastWinoDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I dined with another couple on a Friday night. We enjoyed several items from the menu; however, keep in mind that the portions are quite small yet priced for larger portions. If you intend to share you will want to order extra plates. The stuffed chicken was very good and came recommend by the staff. The smoked trout pancake was salty and dry but a customer favorite. The restaurant is set off to the side of the wine retail shop so you are able to browse for your wine and pay an $8 corkage fee to drink it there. Their flatbreads are well done with a good amount of toppings. Unfortunately, our waiter forgot to put the order in for the beef wellington. I recommend visits on Monday nights for their special 3 course meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningLornaDined on 7/26/2014Very nice to pick your own wine at retail price that would be considerably higher at other restaurants with only an added corkage fee. Everything was delicious and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Balaban's - Chesterfield reviews archive.
- Good food, no crowdAStewartVIPDined on 7/17/2014We took a work group here for lunch and there was barely anyone else in the place. Everyone enjoyed their meals, especially the Cuban sandwich and fish tacos. The lack of other customers just made the experience feel a little odd.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service EverKD99Dined on 7/12/20141) Seated for 15 minutes before our server came to greet the table. 2) Chose a bottle of wine--server didn't bring us wine glasses. Thankfully it was screw-top and we had leftover glasses from the bar. 3) After 10 minutes, server finally returned w/ 3 wine glasses (we were a party of 6), told us the specials, and said she she'd return shortly to take our order. 4) After a long wait, flagged down a busser who sent us another server who was kind enough to take our order. 5) Replacement server forgot to order appetizers so received our salad course, and were told we'd receive our apps w/ our entrees. 6) Asked to speak w/ a manager (were told the owner would come by) and although offered dessert on the house, he never came to our table.
- Another Great OneRichieRichVIPDined on 7/11/2014Always good, Balaban's remains excellent in food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014We brought out of town guests who loved it as much as we do! Exceptional all the way around! The staff is fantastic and their knowledge of wine incredible, they are very helpful in suggesting wines and the prices are so reasonable! We can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - understaffedCarguyVIPDined on 6/30/2014Food was fabulous, but only two servers for entire dining room and bar at 630pm? Our server did a good job considering the work load, but clearly another server covering the area would have helped.Special Features:
- Awesome!AwesomeDined on 6/27/2014Everything absolutely delicious ! The smoked trout appetizer out of this world,The bruschetta- amazing ( and i'm not usually a bruschetta fan) wine flights fun, The snapper amazing. Perfect sizes for us,being "tapas". If my husband hadn't filled up on appetizers , he would have been hungry. He likes to have his starch with his dinner. But it was a perfect size for me. I had a large salad with Steak on it, goat cheese and other items, made for me. Yummy. Local, wish we would have gone sooner. The food is as food as the original Balabans in CWE, if not better. This was our 2nd visit and we will be regulars. It is pricey, but so worth it, with a fabulous glass of wine. Servers terrific and the manager always pleasant and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningrestfunDined on 6/20/2014My daughter and I came for dinner on a Friday night - we split 2 appetizers and 2 entrees and they were all excellent. The waitress was very informed and the meal was brought out at a pleasant rate. I will returnSpecial Features:
- VizartsVIPDined on 6/14/2014Surprisingly good dinner...all 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed what we had & thought the prices were fair....so many today are over-priced for the quality you get. Nice touches accompanied our selections....my salad had beets, orange segments & a lovely creamy cheese. my perfectly cooked salmon had a shaved fennel salad atop & even a purple carrot on the side...our dessert was a really nice apple crostini served with ice cream....yummy! It was nice to see a few wines by the glass that didn't break the bank. We look forward to trying it again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerLikepaellaDined on 5/28/2014Can't remember our servers name but she was excellent. Very attentive but not hovering at the table. Made some great suggestions for appetizers. We had the smoked trout pancakes as a starter and it was outstanding. My wife had the Filet Oscar and it was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and was melt in your mouth delicious. I had the Paella and was very disappointed. Paella is a Mediterranean fish broth based dish served with fish, shrimp, mussels, & octopus on a bed on rice. The Paella your restaurant served had virtually no flavor. The only part of it that tasted OK was the shrimp. Yours was served with chicken & chorizo sausage but just does not work. I spent many years in Europe and have had a lot of Paella, one of my favorite dishes.Special Features:
- Balaban's is a findGambitVIPDined on 5/21/2014I had one of the greatest meals if my life. The Morel pasta special was Nirvana on a plate. I definitely recommend this place to anyone that enjoys good French style cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's day brunchbfoodDined on 5/11/2014Good variety of food and good quality. the service is acceptable, they seem a little understaff for the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014We went here for Brunch on Mother's Day. There was definitely a crowd, however, the restaurant handled it well. Brunch is buffet-style - food was all still hot. Really delicious! Service was great. Only complaint was that we were in the back room and with all the larger parties, it was loud and somewhat hard to hear other at our table. We'll definitely be back, though!Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchCSUFDanmanDined on 5/11/2014This event is a must for all Open Table members and the general public.Special Features:
- Balaban's on SaturdayDrGGDined on 5/10/2014Balaban's is a building separated into an wine store, a bar, and a restaurant. The wine selection is excellent, the staff are courteous and knowledgeable, and they do frequent tastings. We always choose a wine from the racks to have for dinner and the price is as sold plus a modest corkage fee. The wines in the $40-$50 range have been wonderful, as expected, but we were pointed to $20-$30 bottles (pinot noir, syrah) that were amazing for the price. The food is always very high quality. The menu is modest in scope but there are always specials and everything we have tried is good. The lobster ravioli, shrimp, crab cakes, country pate, and the asparagus salad are terrific. All the specials we have tried were delicious. We have only had dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balaban's is a findGambitVIPDined on 4/23/2014I have gone to Balaban's several times over the past 2 yrs, it keeps getting better. The food is served in modest portions but always just enough. Everything tastes wonderful. Service is superior without being intrusive. Overall AAA +Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014We love going to Balabans in Chesterfield, the food is never bad, always interesting and delicious. The wine is to purchase off the rack in the restaurant and for $8 they cork it for you at the table, or bar. There is a small patio for outdoor dining. Always friendly, always good.Special Features:
- Great place. Menu is alwaystLAWDined on 3/31/2014Great place. Menu is always a wonderful assortment of delicious small plates.... and a vast array of fine wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDisCERNingDinerVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have eaten here several times. This time, we joined some friends. We had a special bottle of wine we wanted to try, which they stocked. The Owner came by to decant it for us. The service was great. The specials were wonderful and they let me substitue side for my seafood entree. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experiencePmtripleDined on 3/29/2014Now that Balabans has moved to west county, we go there with some regularity. They have creative food and retail wine that you can buy and pay only an additional corkage fee to enjoy with dinner. This time I had the sea bass special which was wonderful. My spouse enjoys the various flat breads, and no one doesn't like the beef Wellington. They have lovely desserts as well. Atmosphere is pretty casual given the prices, but still a fun evening.Special Features:
- The food is always fresh andStraightShooterDined on 3/14/2014The food is always fresh and well prepared, making it one of our favorites when we dine out. Many restaurant's put together an impressive menu but fail to satisfy because their food is not fresh and/ or they improperly prepare (overcook/ undercook) the items ordered. Balaban's delivers a consistent well prepared tasty plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemsGoraVIPDined on 3/12/2014In a neighborhood with many outstanding restaurants, Balabans has a great wine selection, great prices on the wines, good food and dinner tabs that make you feel comfortable about coming back again and again!Special Features:
- Greatfully improved!VizartsVIPDined on 3/12/2014When this restaurant first need, we tried it for dinner....not at all like the Balabans of old....so why use the name?? Also I was SO disappointed in the wine by the glass selection back then. Many moons later, a friend & I tried it for lunch....no wine this time so I can't comment on whether that has improved but the service was SO much better & the food really good! I now look forward to coming back at another try for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncork $ Bottle Shock!Ellie29VIPDined on 3/11/2014They really had no red wine bottles to choose from but they have a store full of wine. I wanted a red wine to go with dinner. I asked the server do we just pick a bottle and she said yes. What she did not say is that they charge you for the bottle (expected), but they charge you $8 to uncork it. Then to put it on the bill with the food and tip on top of that. This location should not charge to uncork a bottle of wine. It was pretty irritating to me. The food was good but I might think about returning just because of the additional charge. The more I think about it I should have only left her a tip on the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.