Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema)
The Village at Meridian
3711 East Longwing Lane
Meridian, ID 83646Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cinemawest.com/
- Phone: 2089952943x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tal Jude
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: CheRee Eveland 2089952943x
- Entertainment: Located within the grand Village Cinema!
A word from Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema)
Recently named the “Best Food option at the Village” and “a hidden gem” by the Idaho Statesman, Backstage Bistro is a hip casual wine bar and restaurant located upstairs at the Village Cinema. The menu offers a variety of delicious regional food, beer and wines at affordable prices with something available for every family member. The bistro, conveniently located within the cinema, is a perfect option for moviegoers as well. Whether you are on the run or would rather linger, we invite you to enjoy some of the classic well-dressed comfort food and local micro brews. Backstage Bistro’s circular centerpiece bar, giant screen HDTV and large comfortable booths is the perfect place to gather and meet with friends. The bistro’s roof-top outdoor patio has oversized sofas surrounding a warm fire pit as well as tables for dining alfresco while taking in breathtaking views of the dancing “Bellagio-style” fountains and concerts on the plaza below.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema) - Best Restaurants in Meridian ›
Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema) reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (20)fit for foodies (10)scenic view (10)good for groups (10)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (8)special occasion (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good addition to the Village!maryDined on 9/7/2014Four of us dined here Sunday and the experience was a good one. The food was delicious and sharable. My husband and I had an arugula salad and horseradish encrusted salmon. Another person ordered the lemon rosemary chicken breast which was on the wing bone and said it was delicious. That came with some shoestring potatoes that were yummy! For dessert we shared some profiteroles---cream puffs with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Yummy! My only complaint and my husband's was it is kind of distracting to look at movie previews while you are dining and having a conversation. It was sort of nice to see what the coming attractions are!Special Features:
- Great appetizers!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The appetizers we tries were all delicious and very filling that were offered on the Happy Hour menu. Definitely will be back. Too bad not all the martinis were included on Happy Hour menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaileysmomDined on 8/15/2014We have been to the Backstreet Bistor a number of times so that we can hear the concerts on friday nights. Our wiatress was Tracey and she was awesome. We loved her. We also requested the music be turned off so we could hear the concert but it was very distracting when the Bistro's outside music kept coming on. I wish that could be turned off on the outside so we can enjoy the outside concert.Special Features:
- Dining and watching the concertSherryDined on 8/8/2014This is my third visit all of them have been during the Friday night live concerts. This is a great location to listen to and watch the artists play. It is far enough away to be able to talk with those at your table but close enough to see the perforamance and to people watch. The wait staff here is always superb, helpful and timely. The appetizers are tasty, and I loved the Risotto dish.Special Features:
- Not bad!CBP4VegasDined on 7/18/2014Pretty decent, however took some time for our service, but once we were acknowledged service improved.Special Features:
- As Great As Everyone SaysStarman4000Dined on 7/12/2014We stopped in after a movie and had just a great meal and a great time. The calamari was among the best we've ever had and the bruschetta was fantastic as well. We then split the club sandwich upon the recommendation of the bartender. Again, the best club sandwich we've ever had. Drinks were reasonably priced and the wine selection was good (not great, but good). We'll definately go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Reataurant OverallQuietDimLightsDined on 7/10/2014Good food, service and ambiance, but they need to have some organic food choices, hormone free meats and more wild fish on the menu. Also need to have some organic and no-added-sulfite wines on the list. They need to filter the water, as ours tasted like chlorine and we could not drink it. The lady at the front desk was kind enough to offer us some bottled water, but our server failed to do so. Handicapped access would be good (you have to walk upstairs to get there and we didn't see an elevator).Special Features:
- a hidden gemCarlsbad84Dined on 7/4/2014With all the big names in the village, it might be hard to find the bistro. But pop into the theaters and head upstairs. There you will find the backstage bistro. The chef does a great job creating some fantastic foods. Service was great and the view off the balcony afforded great views of the fountains and the village scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem for Sure.luvnlifeDined on 6/22/2014A group of us got together to watch the USA v. Portugal world cup game. The Backstreet Bistro put the game on the big screen for us. The staff was awesome, very friendly, attentive and interactive. The food was very good and provides options to cover kid choices to adults. Will definitely recommend to friends and will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Missing the OpportunityBoiseEaterDined on 6/17/2014The location of the Backstage Bistro allows for a ton of traffic. Not only is it in the heart of the Village it is right next to the Cinema. It could be a great location before or after a movie. However, what you are going to find underneath the shiny exterior is very mediocre food that is over priced for what it is. With other options like the Yardhouse and the Kona Grill close buy the Backstage Bistro better step up its game or it will quickly fade into obscurity. I had the salmon, it was undercooked and caked in horseradish and I mean caked. My wife had spaghetti and meatballs, the meatballs were good but the spaghetti seemed to have a Ramen-esque texture and quality.
- FoodBeentheretriedthatDined on 6/15/2014There were 3 of us dining. The server took my order correctly however the kitchen did not make it correctly. The shoestring onion side on my husband's was very greasy and had no flavor. My daughter's fries were soggy. 4 people tended our table as if they were unsure who's table it was. They were very slow at following up with our table. Water glasses were empty by refill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Bad TableKarenMDined on 6/13/2014This is the 2nd time we've made the reservation through OpenTable and both times we've been put at a table near the patio door. Both times it's been windy/unpleasant outside, but there are die hards who still want to be out there - so we had to put up with the door being opened and closed repeatedly. The food is good. Waiter made good recommendations. Next time I make a reservation, I will be more specific with where we want to sit.
- Great Food & Great Before a MoviedoodlemanderDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I decided to come here and see a movie afterward. We got our tickets before going upstairs to the Bistro and it worked out perfectly. The food was very good, the price was about right, and the staff were pleasant. The salmon was one of those dishes I had to consciously slow down to enjoy for as long as I could. The bread pudding was one of the best I've had; creamy with chocolate and a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. We didn't sit out on the balcony this time, but we will definitely make a point to do so next time as it has a great view of the village center square for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Birthday DinnerFreiFamDined on 6/4/2014Went there for my husband's birthday. We each got adventurous meals, and they were both delicious, but not favorite options. We will definitely go back, but would like to try their burgers and sandwiches. Excellent fries and AMAZING dessert!! The service was great, decor was awesome and fun, a large group had the balcony, so we'd like to try that sometime as well. Great place!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantShabbyMeChicDined on 5/24/2014It was a double date kind of night and this place was great for that. We had a great time and the food was delicious as well as the wine. The service as well was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Backstage Bistro (at Village Cinema) reviews archive.
- pathDined on 5/17/2014Portions were small compared to prices .Had the short ribs great flavor but the noodles were very over cooked and tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but loud!OutonthetownDined on 5/16/2014The place was packed and rocking!! My Fiance' and I were looking for a good place to celebrate our anniversary. We had been here and expected the nice quieter place we had experienced in the past boy we were surprised when every seat was packed and there were several larger groups on the patio where we were dining. This didn't quite make for the romantic conversation spot we were looking for but was still fun as we were able to people watch and the atmosphere was very energetic. This is a great spot to hang out with friends but wouldn't recommend for anyone looking for a quiet evening out.Special Features:
- Great Date Spotma8andersonDined on 5/10/2014Not for families, the atmosphere is romantic. The bistro is small but a hidden gem in the cinema.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HypeNathanNDined on 5/10/2014Skip the shrimp appetizers. These little guys swam the ocean no less than 5 times before making it to your plate, or were boiled in oil (it arrives at your table in a pan of bubbling oil and garlic) much, much too long. Also skip the chicken sandwich with adobo, as it's more adobo sauce than chicken, and the shoestring fries it comes with taste like nothing more than flour. Don't even get me started on the blue cheese burger. Just imagine downing two table spoons of blue cheese with each bite of a red and stringy burger. Ugh!! In short, you should skip this place unless you like long waits, bad food, overwhelming smell of popcorn, and cafeteria sounding noise.Special Features:
- Nice hidden spotKarenMDined on 5/10/2014Backstage Bistro is a nice "hidden" restaurant in plain view. Located inside the theater in the Village, it has a varied menu. The service was moderately slow, but not too frustrating. The food was good. Favorite part of the meal was the daily flatbread recommendation for an appetizer. The one thing I found frustrating is we had made a reservation, when we go there the place was not busy (plenty of open tables), yet we were sat at a table back by the servers' station and exterior door (lots of traffic constantly).Special Features:
- First time but not the lastsbeltz1Dined on 5/2/2014Just wanted to catch a little dinner after a movie, but this turned out to be so much more. This was a wonderful dining experience from beginning to end. The service, the setting and most importantly the food were truly first class and made the evening memorable. This was our first time to dine at Backstage Bistro, but rest assured we are looking forward to returning very soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, not so great foodBusymomDined on 4/30/2014It was quiet inside and had nice views outside. There was like 2 servers for the whole place so the service was very slow and food took a while. Then I was disappointed that it was about the smallest portion of spaghetti I had ever seen at a restaurant and it was still pretty pricy. There were 5 of us and none of us thought our food was great.Special Features:
- Great Afternoon with FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014It was a great place to have a leasurely lunch with the girls before the movie. The food was great, the service good, and quiet enough that we could visit with one another.Special Features:
- Great place to eat after a movieJohnDined on 4/26/2014We enjoyed an early movie, and then dinner at Backstage Bistro. The menu has a wide variety of items to choose from, and is reasonably priced. All of the ingredients appear to be top notch. This is not your usual bar food, and you can tell the chef knows what he is doing in the kitchen. We all had something different, but the consensus at the table was to go for the burger - a mix of ground steak, burger and pork. Our waitress was incredible and did an outstanding job of walking us through the menu and drink list.Special Features:
- first dateRSAGDined on 4/25/2014I love the fact that can get a good reservation online quickly! I've been to the bistro about 5 times. Each time with a date and the Ambiance was always great, but this time it was at 7 pm on a Fri night and it was more busy and a little louder. I did like to see that there were more people there and I was glad I had a reservation for this first date. It wasn't unexpected or out of control though, fine really We had some kind of flat (crisp) bread appetizer with a white cheese or? and Spinach on it. It was really good, but we had to ask for tooth picks. :-)Special Features:
- Good food...mediocre servicesbrooksDined on 4/25/2014This was our third visit to Backstage Bistro and during each visit the service has been slow. It generally takes 10-15 minutes to get a drink from the bar if you've ordered from a table. Not sure if this is a bar issue or a waitstaff issue. The food is good, but slow to come out and each time our apps have come out with our dinner instead of apps first, followed by dinner. Our waitress didn't check back with after we received our food to see if we needed another cocktail until we were almost finished. When she did, it took another 15 minutes for our second cocktail to come.
- First Time at BackStage Bestrodream2liveDined on 4/15/2014Had dinner there the other night. Made reservation through opentable which was very quick to make. I said I had a reservation and they knew what type a table and area of the restaurant I was interested in seating. It was too crowded and noise level was OK for a quite dinner. Waiter was responsive to our needs and very helpful with suggestions for dinner. It took awhile to get our food but it was high quality presentation and taste. Don't recommend ordering dinner if you expect to get in and out in 1/2 hour.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/9/2014What a view from the balcony! Over looking the Village plaza and fountain w/firepit to keep warm by. Service was so so, food was really good!Special Features:
- sshhh DON'T TELL ANYONEBBJIDVIPDined on 4/5/2014I don't want the word to get out because this gem is amazing! From the cocktails to the main course Backstage Bistro was great. Menu was very diverse and there is something for everyone. Give this place a try, you will be happy you did.Special Features:
- Great food, great bar, greatEagleDined on 4/4/2014Great food, great bar, great service. We will be back.Special Features:
- waiters first job?greeninjaDined on 3/22/2014We were sat In a corner with sun in our eyes. The waiter got our drinks and that was the last we seen of him 45 mins later he asked did u guys ever get your appatizer? Well no shouldn't u have brought it to us. No drink refills no communication horrible customer service and horrible attention to customersSpecial Features:
- Pleasant SurprisefoodiequeenDined on 3/20/2014Great spot, great location. We were pleasantly surprised and very pleased with the ambiance, food and service. Backstage Bistro is a great addition to the food scene in the Boise/Meridian area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sureAnightoutDined on 3/17/2014I heard that the food was great but what I ordered, tomato bisque soup, was just fair. I also had a side of french fries which were good. My friend had a chicken sandwich and the onion strings; and the onion strings were also tasty. There were only three tables occupied the whole time we were there and our ticket was lost or did not print so our food took an hour to get served. I assume it was the manager there that evening making sure the blinds were opened, talking to his bartender and folding napkins. He did not seem to care about the dining customers or the fact that it took so long for us to get our food. I may try to eat again as my friend enjoyed her experience just not sure if I can recommend to others at this point.Special Features:
- Cool restaurant. Needs more dishes.schizoDined on 3/14/2014The dining experience was excellent here. The service was friendly and the atmosphere is unique and relaxing. The only downside is a limited menu. The items on the menu vary drastically from one dish to the next, so it is without doubt diverse, but the overall selection was rather limited. I ended up with a phenomenal burger, which was amazing, but I was bummed I couldn't find something more appealing on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Wine Too ColdLouiseDined on 3/14/2014The waitress seemed to be annoyed by us wanting to take our time and visit. The red wine was way too cold. We asked the waitress about it and she said she agreed and told us they always serve it that way. Food was good.
- Less then expected.Not4usDined on 3/13/2014The meal was okay, but over priced for quantity and quality. Took awhile to be served and server was not familiar with food choices. There was not much variety in the type of food offered, the food was bland and no condiments available. Do not plan on returning or recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very good service! I madeRSAGDined on 3/13/2014Very good service! I made the reservation through Open Table online and the person seating us knew of my request for a quiet table and that we were going out for the first time etc. Very Nice touch! We had a great experience, quiet enough to sit, talk and get to know each other. Servers were very attentive but appropriately considerate. We only had wine and an appetizer, but it was all very good! (I would just say you should add a couple more pieces of bread to the cheese plate, so there is enough to eat more of the cheese) -) I will go back and experience the outside dining and fire pit area, it looked very inviting! In the summer you may want to extend the hours past 10 pm.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceDM60Dined on 3/8/2014Was a little expensive for this type of setting but will go back even though portions were small. We had a flat bread appetizer that was to die for. The "Angry Potatoes" appetizer, they can certainly do away with as it was on the cold side & tasted sour rather than "hot".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our night out --OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014There were four of us with reservations on a Thursday evening. There was only one other couple there, which made it excellent for visiting with our friends - very quiet. The food was a bit greasy. Since we don't eat a lot, the portions were fine for us, but I think other people might find them a bit skimpy. We would go back there in the summer to sit on the balconyand watch the fountain. The food was just so-so.Special Features:
- Upscale DiningBoiseDuckDined on 3/2/2014It was too cold to use their deck, but sitting inside is lovely. Nice big circular bar. I like the movie-themed chandelier. The menu has some great appetizers. Overall it would be fun to eat and then check out a movie, or just eat and enjoy the view.Special Features: