Azuki Sushi Lounge
2321 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Azuki Sushi Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.azukisushi.com/
- Phone: 6192384760
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Nao Ichimura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are flexible in accommodating any venue. For more information, please contact Shihomi Borillo at 619-238-4760.
- Private Party Facilities: The back patio seats up to 40 people and it is available for any private events. Large parties of 10 or more can also be accommodated in our main dining room.
The entire restaurant space is available for private events on Saturdays and Sundays, which seats up to 70 people.
- Private Party Contact: Shihomi Borillo 6192384760
A word from Azuki Sushi Lounge
Azuki is a modern sushi lounge. The relaxed dining style focuses on small plates you share with the table. As in Japan, the menu is based on the seasons, savoring the peak flavor of the ingredients. Our Japanese sushi chefs deliver the fundamentals of Japanese cuisine, respecting the individual ingredients' naturally organic flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Azuki Sushi Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (18)romantic (11)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Amazing!MarinaguyDined on 6/29/2014Some of the best sushi I've ever had! The Park West roll was unbelievably delicious! This place is a must if you love sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Ahi Poke!ChellieSDDined on 6/27/2014Definitely a go-to whenever friends come in to San Diego. The ahi poke is one of my favorites, and the sushi ranges from pure fish to mixed rolls. Reservations are definitely a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationHappydinerDined on 6/25/2014We had several different rolls, seaweed salad, root fries, dessert & drinks. The service was great, the food was fresh & tasty. We were six + a toddler & a vegan. Everything was great & everyone left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014I LOVED it! 2nd best sushi I have had in the United States. I will eat here every time I am in San Diego. I am grateful my normal spot had no reservations. Staff was as good as the food.Special Features:
- Delicious sushiJmakDined on 6/20/2014Fish is fresh. The toro melts in your mouth. The garlic edamame, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Sushi Place in SD!!stvi04Dined on 6/18/2014Another fantastic meal at Azuki!! I am a regular there, and enjoy bringing in friends to introduce them to this gem!! Great atmosphere, fantastic service and even better food!! Thank you, again!!Special Features:
- Yes!JustinDined on 6/18/2014Delicious food all around. Had the fried calamari appetizer, chirashi bowl lunch special, On the Border roll, and avocado and eel roll. Everything was incredibly yummy and had was so fresh. My partner and I love sushi and normally can keep on eating, but the amount of food we received was enough to satisfy us. Their teas are great too--his iced green tea and my hot jasmine tea were aromatic and flavorful. The complimentary green tea ice cream for his birthday was a nice surprise, too. You must come here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freah and easymyfoodiedreamsDined on 6/17/2014The food here was super fresh and the ordering process was easy with the help of our waitress. Also they acknowledged my request on open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi Around!LuckyJVIPDined on 6/11/2014Everything we tried was perfect! The sushi chef was so knowledgable and I wish I could have ordered more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fav best of the EngawaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2014It was the best of Engawa which is halbit 's edges , what I have never had any like this before even in Japan. Oh my....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top quality and great serviceJBogoDined on 6/9/2014The fish at azuki is always so fresh, I really love eating here. A good friend of mine was in town and was craving Uni sashimi (sea urchin). I wouldn't trust many sushi restaurants with such a special request. I took her to Azuki, and not only was the Uni delicious & fresh- the presentation was gorgeous and the portion was large. We had a great time- and the black sesame ice cream is my favorite!Special Features:
- The following 255 reviews are from the Azuki Sushi Lounge reviews archive.
- Great spot for sushiBetoVIPDined on 5/31/2014The sushi was of great quality and the pricing reasonable. Good price qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseSkipDined on 5/31/2014We were looking for reasonable Sushi near Balboa Park as an early dinner before a Saturday Night play at the Old Globe. VERY pleasantly surprised as the Sushi was excellent, service was cordial and professional, rates were surprisingly reasonable AND it was a comfortable post-dinner walk to the playhouse. We started at 5PM which was perfect - good seats and personalized attention. Didn't take long to fill the place up. Tried a wide variety of Sushi items --- all good and reasonable for the cost. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're hooked!HeresTheScoopDined on 5/30/2014We've been here twice now and we are hooked! I was not a sushi fan but now I am. My wife and I took our daughter here for her birthday, at her suggestion. We enjoyed it so much that we came back just the two of us. We both tried something different from the first time and we were once again completely amazed with the incredible taste, quality of ingredients and presentation of the meal. The outstanding food, authentic atmosphere and helpful staff make this a perfect choice for the experienced sushi fan or the novice needing a bit a guidance. The food will impress you. The staff will keep you coming back. Give'm a try. Both times we've been here it's been busy, so I highly recommend making reservations with OpenTable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014This place is always good, great service, great food and love the atmosphere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.AnniversaryDined on 5/24/2014Perfect place to celebrate our anniversary. The food was amazing. We travel to Japan often and we rate this Japanese food at the top. The service was perfect; very respectfull but friendly, made us feel very comfortable. The food came slow but we don't mind that as long as it is good food, and it ended up being great food. We highly recomend this Japanese restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAchefswifeDined on 5/19/2014My friend and I gave they chefs a ball park of what we wanted to spend on dinner and had them serve us whatever they wanted. The food was perfection. Not only were the items fresh and flavorful, they were works of art too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical sushi placeLuv2dineDined on 5/17/2014Great ambiance, interesting menue. Had the park west roll it was delicious. They should start a happy hour in my opinion. The decor is very modern not like your typical sushi place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- julieDined on 5/14/2014This place is amazing. The sushi chefs know their stuff. Ask their recommendation let them make you what they want. You won't be sorry!Special Features:
- Scrupulous, to say the least....Strace9255Dined on 5/10/2014Asian food fare with an upscale taste......not to be overlooked!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ultimate Omakasi experienceFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 4 year wedding anniversary and wanted sushi. Three place came to mind: Ota; Hane, and Azuki. We decided to go to Azuki, and it was one of the best Omakasi we have ever had. And the price bad either considering what we had. My wife and I sat at the sushi bar in Now's section. Now was very creative in putting together a 13 course meal for us. The servers were very attentive to us also. My glass was never empty, and the sake kept on flowing. One of the guys even went out of his way to open the bathroom door for me. Overall; had an AMAZING experience and will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi, beautifulMmb1970Dined on 5/2/2014Our waiter was great, always came by to see if everything was ok, if we needed anything.Special Features:
- Great Sushi, great service,AlejoDined on 4/22/2014The place is small, like all classical sushi places. Sushi bar is splendid, the food it self made in a special way, with a presentation you will love...."Are U kidding me'? .... truffle and Crab fried rice, incredible... There is always something new on the menu. White wine list is a little limited by the glass, but their house chardonay is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They hooked me!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014I have never really had sushi, but this place hooked me! We were visiting San Diego for my wife's birthday, and found Azuki Sushi Lounge through web recommendations. I didn't see a single bad review, and the place lived up to the name. I had a lot of questions, being new to sushi, and they took the time to walk me through what I might like, and I loved everything that I tried! They knew that it was her birthday, and seated us in a corner location, which I greatly appreciated; and they brought us complimentary dessert. We ate upstairs and very much enjoyed the decor. It was removed from the downtown restaurant scene, but had all of the makings of a "must-dine," hotspot. I would definitely go back if I was in the area, it was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Reasonably priced and sizable portions. Crab miso was excellent with hunks of shellfish like clams and crab without skimping. Nigiri included ankimo by request which was not the best i've had, but was still delicious. Also had omu masi (?) which was a fattier version of a salmon, baby snapper and some of the best blue fin i have ever had. Garlic edamame were a nice take on a classic. Ponzu sauce on seared toro was top notch and everything was beautifully displayed in all cases. Overall some pretty spectacular food for the price.Special Features:
- Easy Sushi Date Night SpotMelRuthWDined on 4/14/2014This place was great. Loved the spicy tuna crispy rice appetizer. Wasn't a huge fan of the bonsai roll, but my boyfriend liked it. Love the back patio area. It's enclosed, and just the right temperature for a 7pm dinner in San Diego. Very pleased with our visit. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday Dinner!stvi04Dined on 4/4/2014I had a perfect Birthday dinner Friday night, with 9 of my friends. I absolutely love this place!! The sushi bar is so much fun, as well as their upstairs covered patio. They can host small or large parties. The food is amazing, and so is the entire staff of chefs, hostesses, servers, etc.. This is my 3rd year of having my birthday dinner there. I have had a small group and two large groups. I get the same, wonderful service each time! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Horrible seating; not a decentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014Horrible seating; not a decent table in the house. Regardless of table seated at, half of the party is facing a wall. All tables are way too close to each other; no privacy or peace. Been here numerous times and have tried but just can't do it ever again; will never be back. What a shame because the food is fresh and delicious. Waiter was overwhelmed. Very, very inappropriately loud customers that evening that should not have been ignored by management.
- Good food but terrible serviceBrentDined on 3/21/2014Excellent quality fish and nice space but horrible service. Went there for lunch today with 6 people. It would be fine if you want to share food and eat over the course of an hour or more. We all ordered our own meal and they brought 2 people's food and then 20 minutes later 2 more and then 20 minutes later one more and finally an hour after the first person I got my food. Everybody was long done! I was never asked if I want another drink or how everything was. That's why it only gets 2 stars.
- first bad experienceJoJoDined on 3/13/2014We always go there and always have received good service. This one time we went for dinner, the service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fab DinnerVoraciousVVIPDined on 2/21/2014Every time we dine at Azuki we are treated like old friends. The fish is always fresh and delicious, and they are very concerned about sustainability. We are mostly fans of sashimi but their rolls are fabulous--not heavy on the rice. Do your taste buds a favor and dine at Azuki Sushi Lounge!Special Features:
- Great New Flavors Jelepeno on 1JesseGreenwoodDined on 2/21/2014Awesome Service! Thanks for NEW GOOD flavors in SUSHIE! (But unsure is SUSTAINABLE & is from Fresh Caught-NATURAL (Non-GMO)Fish? & a bit EXPENSIVE (w drinks & too bad didn't Charge me the SPECIAL PRICES even a Little AFTER 6, seeing as the Buyer was a guy out of work & wasn't even drinking & just paying for young friends drinks! & Really Great Recommendations by Waitress! Thanks cutieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedHeresTheScoopDined on 2/21/2014We were going to a business in the area so we were looking for a sushi restaurant close by. There were several to choose from but my daughter chose this one and we're so glad she did. We made reservations for the beginning of there dinner service. At first glance, from the street, it seems to be a tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant however, it was more spacious than it looked. Just inside you'll find a nice sushi bar and cozy lounge area. The real hidden gem however, is the spacious, mostly enclosed, outdoor patio dining area, where we ate. The service was excellent. The staff was friendly & knowledgeable. The food & beverage selection was excellent. The food was OUTSTANDING! We will definitely eat here again and recommend to friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the bestBritVIPDined on 2/14/2014This place is really awesome. The server had great recommendation. Every thing that my boyfriend and I ordered was amazing. A place I would recommend to everyoneSpecial Features:
- Date NightSpells619Dined on 2/14/2014My wife was craving a great date night with top notch sushi and Azuki delivered. Even though it was V-Day abd was late for reservations we were seated immediately. This is a neighborhood gem nestled in Bankers Hill. Great food and attentive staff. Will be back soon. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Grade Sushi?KensanDined on 2/14/2014While Azuki is a passable sushi bar, it's not a great one. The fish is not outstanding or fabulously fresh, at least when I was there. And fresh fish should have been the order of the day: it was Valentine's Day. The people were nice, the presentation good, prices were not too bad, but no dedicated Japanese sushi chef would be proud to put his name on it. Lots of rolls of various types, but only passable nigiri. If you don't have much experience with sushi, you'll probably love the place. But if you've been to Japan, or lived in cities like LA ad SF, and eaten at spots like Sushi Nozawa, Matsuhisa, Sushi-Ran, or the former Kabuto, you'll not be likely to make this your first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014First time customers. We sat at the bar and the chef was great! Made a coupe of recommendations which were really good! Great food and service! We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceFlateezyVIPDined on 2/13/2014Azuki's ambiance and service was excellent. We loved our server and the busboy was always there to refill our waters. The food was very good, especially the fatty salmon sashimi and spicy tuna crispy rice. The 2 special rolls were very good, sunshine and one other but wasn't blown away. We tried the hamachi collarbone and it was tasty but low flavor. Overall we had an amazing time though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Azuki always pleasesDavidVIPDined on 2/8/2014Amazing food, wonderful ambience and convient to all the San Diego Downtown venues (Symphony Hall, Civic Theater, Gaslamp and Convention Center). That's why we keep coming back. Thank you, Azuki!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent & yummy!RoslynDined on 2/5/2014One of my favorite places for lunch or dinner. The food is always fresh and delicious. Love the salmon and risotto. Also love the tempura, light and not greasy. Sushi is always beautiful and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.