Avenues Bistro - Brookside
338 W 63rd St
Kansas City, MO 64113Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Avenues Bistro - Brookside
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.avenuesbistro.com/
- Phone: 8163335700
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9am - 2pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mario Galan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Director Jessica Ray’s “if you can dream it, we can do it!” approach begs for the spotlight from all who specialize in the art of Catering. Our well received designer menus provide a carousel of options for all functions. Don’t see what suits? Doesn’t matter, for what you have in mind is a go. From pick-up to full service, 5 people or 500, from box lunch to fancy five courses, we can handle the truth! But the word is out and dates are filling up fast. Put the worry behind and insure a great time by considering us. Contact Jessica Ray, email@example.com or 913.449.2553.
A word from Avenues Bistro - Brookside
Avenues Bistro offers an array of selections for every palate and features many regional European specialties. Chef/Owner Joe Birch, voted one of “America’s Top 25 New Chefs” in 2007, comes from a diverse European ancestry and has for the past 20 years traveled across and studied the cuisines of Europe. These travels & experiences, his vast culinary training, & many of his own family recipes are the inspiration behind both the concept and the creation of the dishes at Avenues. Birch’s kitchen is led by Executive Chef Mario Galan, a rising star on the Kansas City culinary scene. In 2007 he & Birch earned Avenues “Best New Restaurant- Kansas City”. Followed up in 2008 as being recognized by Ingrams Magazine as one of "Kansas Citys Top 3 Overall Restaurants". Equally impressive is the wine program at Avenues. Recognized as having both great value & selection, the restaurant was recently awarded Wine Spectator’s “Award of Excellence” & also Wine Enthusiasts "Award of DistinctionContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Avenues Bistro - Brookside - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Avenues Bistro - Brookside reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (138)fit for foodies (77)great for brunch (72)special occasion (59)great for lunch (53)notable wine list (43)good for groups (34)romantic (29)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- SusanDined on 10/18/2014As always we enjoyed our meal. The service was great everyone was very friendly. we uses a BOGO but will come back at full price. We recommend this to our friendsSpecial Features:
- Gotta work on yur filetrlcbyjanDined on 10/18/2014My dates filet was tough and last time it was overcooked. I don't think he'll be ordering that anytime soon. I had the beef ribs and rice was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We've eaten here many times. It has always been good. I wish they would bring back the artichoke dip without the crab. It was the best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014Construction a small issue but overall very good. Service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Lower score given was because first person in our party to arrive was not allowed to sit down at table even though we had reservations and there were several empty tables until more arrived. Our server either had to many tables, or was just having a bad day. Not pleasant at all. Actually, I was disappointed with the evening. The food was excellent as was the wine.Special Features:
- AnnaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food was superb. The poached eggs with the Eggs Benedict were perfect. The coffee was weak. Despite having made reservation ahead and seeing several empty tables, we were disappointed to be seated right by the kitchen. We asked for a change and was granted our request. Thank you.Special Features:
- Avenues October 2014Fridining2014Dined on 10/10/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was really good and the wine selection was quite appropriate. The drinks were also quite good.Special Features:
- Service is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I have visited Avenues Bistro several times. While the food is average, the service is always on point.Special Features:
- 25th anniversaryChitownGeoDined on 10/7/2014Great place, I'm just not sold on Open Table. Reservation was made for 2, one day before date it was automatically changed to 3. No mention about our 25 year anniversary or our choice of waiter. I did like the update I received one hour before reservation. I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy, I will go back just not through open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new menumacaroniandcheeseDined on 10/7/2014We are looking forward to a new menu. The hostess could not find our reservation alhtough we had booked on open table and on the restaurant answering machineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brookside brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014About 5 years ago I really enjoyed going to Brookside for brunch because of a certain restaurant. That restaurant closed and I stopped going. But now Brookside brunch is back with Avenue Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodgoodfriendsDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent as always. Our server made a couple of great menu selections. the pork belly was amazing.Special Features:
- Always a great place!YummyVIPDined on 10/3/2014I've been here many times and always enjoy it! Can't wait for the new addition!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutPodsDined on 10/3/2014Avenues is a great place to go and have a good meal repeatedly. We enjoyed sitting at the bar to eat so we can watch games, sporting events on their tv. Expanding in November-much larger bar and seating areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice neighborhood spotmagneVIPDined on 9/27/2014great food, very tasty and a reasonable price, scallops were delicious. I hope they will keep the same kind of menu when the transformation into a larger place will be done (they took over my favorite ice cream place!!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningVeggieTDined on 9/26/2014This was a nice evening for my husband and me. Lighting was too bright to call it romantic. Shrimp & Lobster buccatini was a little bland but with some salt it was ok. My husband got the halibut - the fish was super fresh and very well prepared - but the squash sauce didn't add much and could have been left off. The waiter was very knowledgeable with wines. We will go back and are looking very forward to after the remodel!
- Great foodMkcmVIPDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful beef, tasty small plates, one of my favorite restaurants in KC. i wish it wasn't a 25 minute drive from my house but the food makes the drive worth while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebrationbludogDined on 9/25/2014Celebrating my husband's birthday couldn't have gone better. Great food and service. This is one of our favorite spots. Make reservations which is a must for weekends as lots of people. Highly Recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014I would suggest that while the restaurant is under construction that you make note of that on your home page for Avenues. The noise level was not good, and it made the experience less than satisfactory.
- Thanks For NothingJglide77Dined on 9/20/2014Being regular diners at Avenues Bistro, it's our favorite place for special occassions. We booked our 7:30 reservation for our 11th wedding anniversary, and were anticipating a great night. When we got there they said reservations were running behind but it would only be a few minutes. For 45 minutes we sat and watched people with no reservations being seated within 10 minutes. We were about to ask for a manager when the hostess said our table was ready - in the crowded, loud bar. For our anniversary. When we asked for a normal table, they said it would be a further wait. We left, upset that our dinner was ruined, and by one of our favorite restaurants. We also bought a Groupon that we now have to go back to use or we're out money. Shocked.
- rlcbyjanDined on 9/20/2014Food wonderful but extremely loud. Staff friendly and did not feel rushed.Special Features:
- limits if using GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I had purchased a Groupon to use here. It is very limited as to what you can use it for and not what is printed on the Groupon. Example: you cannot use for happy hour, tasting meals, or anything else special. You can only order from the regular entrees. I thought the Groupon was very misleading.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchMackswifeDined on 9/20/2014My family and i wanted some place special but affordable for my niece's 30th birthday on Saturday and my son suggested Avenue Bistro. We absolutely loved it and I can't wait to go back. The food was very affordable and my nieces loved the bottomless mimosas. The atmosphere was casual but felt upscale with the beautiful lighting and decorations. We had a great server who was super sweet and attentive. Planning a return trip very soon. Telling everyone at work about the little neighborhood gem that we found!Special Features:
- Great BrunchkbhershVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had the biscuits and gravy platter and everything was spot on ! As a Southern, I am pretty picky about biscuits and gravy and these were almost as good as my Aunt Patty Sue's. Price was amazing for all the food.Special Features:
- An effort being made...imagnpc2Dined on 9/19/2014The last few times I attempted to eat at Avenues, I walked away disappointed due to poor service and mediocre food. This last visit was a group of individuals from work, not my choice, but went because it was work related. We made a reservation because of our group size, 6. The hostess was underwhelming. When you are the first customer in the door a little enthusiasm is nice. The food was very good. The server was pleasant and informative. The only frustration was the length of time for the food. We waited approximately 25 min for our food from the time we placed our order. We were the first to arrive for lunch that day, so not much going on around us. The lunch menu had a nice range of items to choose from. I hope thatSpecial Features:
- Sunday BrunchJamieDined on 9/14/2014very good - only problem, and it consistently happens at Avenues, is not enough wait staffSpecial Features:
- Best Brunch bargain in TownluvtheplazaDined on 9/14/2014I usually avoid brunch because I just can not eat enough food to justify a $30 tab. Avenues Bistro has many wonderful selections, at reasonable prices. Now I love Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantBERGRVIPDined on 9/14/2014As always, I love this restaurant. I'll dine there whenever possible.Special Features:
- Great brunchREM1Dined on 9/14/2014Avenues Bistro has a fantastic Sunday brunch. The options are endless and the food is scrumptious. We will go back.Special Features:
- Would have liked to eat hereFitgirljen1Dined on 9/13/2014I made a reservation after having a great experience the day before and even got there 10 minutes early. The hostess told me she was going to get our table ready then ignored me for the next 20 minutes. When I finally got her attention, she told me it would be 40 minutes. Needless to say, we left and went to another one of the many brunch restaurants in the neighborhood. It's one thing to make a mistake, it's another to totally avoid me and think I'll just go away. I will go away and I won't be back.
- Always goodHungrymanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Avenue Bistro has become a KC staple. Each and every time we eat there its always good.Special Features:
- MackVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food selection and preparation. Excellent service. Prices very moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014Avenues Bistro is a wonderful place to enjoy great food in a relaxed atmosphere. The wait staff is attentive but not intrusive. One of my very favorite places to meet friends.Special Features:
- Always a great place!Catty2Dined on 9/1/2014The food is wonderful, happy hour specials are hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedBioGeekDined on 9/1/2014This was my first time for holiday brunch at Avenues. It was very crowded and noisy, which was to be expected. We were seated at a table next to the kitchen that seemed to be an afterthought and it was VERY close to the neighboring tables. The food on the buffet was OK at best. The eggs were barely warm, the sausage had not been browned and looked gray, the potatoes were not seasoned at all, the pastries, pasta salad and fruit were good. The french toast had the potential to be really good but they did not let it soak long enough and it tasted like grilled bread. I expected better from Avenues!
- brunchdew1805Dined on 9/1/2014We were here to meet my cousin at the Bistro for lunch. We have eaten there many times in the past for brunch.the 10 special sounded very good. I was very disappointed with the selection at the buffet.as a diabetic there were very few foods that I could eat.we might take advantage of a special like this again but I would first call and confirm what's going to be on the buffet..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yes, butparticularDined on 9/1/2014The ten dollar holiday brunch is a good deal with the same cold items on the buffet and same menu choices every time. I wish the hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict had more flavor and the English muffins were toasted. Oh well, not bad for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant holiday brunchKCTiger77Dined on 9/1/2014Great brunch for Labor Day....modified from normal Sunday brunch=buffet plus selected entrees.Special Features:
- BrunchBERGRVIPDined on 9/1/2014Love, love, love this restaurant. I never have anything negative to say about the food, the service, the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RawchickenVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been eating at Avenues Bistro since the opening. Brunch, lunch and dinner. We have had them cater several events for us. The food was always excellent and also the service…. until Sunday night, August 31. Very bad service, our waiter was hateful to us, when we questioned him about where our appetizers were, he said, "oh I thought you wanted your appetizer and your meal served at the same time." Had to ask him to do a drink order, and then when he brought the ticket and we told him that we would like to see a dessert menu. He was hateful about waiting on us. And the food was not that good. Very disappointed in a great restaurant.Special Features: