217 Eldridge St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.apizz.com/
- Phone: 2122539199
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm-11:0pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John LaFemina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Apizz
A hidden treasure on the Lower East Side, Apizz cooks up Italian food in a stunning -- and huge -- wood-burning oven. The dining room is intimate and cozy, rustic yet modern, and perfect for first dates or dining with friends. Like its décor, the menu at Ápizz is a blend of old and new. The menu consists of updated versions of Italian classics like Wild Boar Lasagna and Open Ravioli with Butternut Squash, as well as Oven-Roasted Whole Fish and a braised short rib gnocchi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Apizz reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)romantic (33)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (18)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great SurpriseDavidDinesOutVIPDined on 8/28/2014As you walk down the block you don't get the feeling you are about to enter culinary heaven. this is a wonderful relaxed spot for great Italian food.Special Features:
- Elegant and DeliciousshootaDined on 8/23/2014Cannot say enough about Apizz - had dinner on a Saturday night and EVERYTHING was perfect - the service was courteous, efficient, friendly, polite, polished, etc....the food was excellent - VERY tasty (read: "melt in your mouth")...I had the chicken, my family had the crabmeat pasta and veal bolognese....ALL OF IT was so flavorful, hot, perfect texture, etc.....desert was more of the same with the chocolate cake and vanilla gelato. Great wine selection. Ambiance was perfect - elegant but relaxed, calm and quiet but not too quiet...great lighting, decor and music. Overall - totally recommend going. A bit pricey, but totally worth it if you want a truly memorable, satisfying NYC dining experience at a restaurant with CHARACTER.Special Features:
- Hidden AwayBarbaraVIPDined on 8/15/2014A little tough to find, but what a treat when you do. We were there early and really enjoyed the quiet and ability to converse. I don't know what it's like when the "bar scene" gets going, if it ever does. The food was exceptional in every way. I shall return.Special Features:
- Great fishsuttonplaceDined on 7/27/2014We loved the fresh Bronzino that was baked in the open ovenSpecial Features:
- Apizz my appetiteamorgieDined on 7/19/2014Solid menu, consistently great food, nice wine list with many wines reasonably priced.Special Features:
- PretentiousGingerDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant will NOT make any adjustments to their menu for allergies, dietary restrictions, or any other reason. The salad looked nice but was over-dressed and too vinegary. The staff was dismissive. Pretentious and just bad.
- Second Time AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014We had friends from out of town that were staying in a nearby LES hotel, so we chose A Pizz for location, plus we wanted to come back after having eaten here about a year ago. We were not disappointed and our friends enjoyed our choice. We chose the daily fish special, a nice prepared bronzino, the lobster risotto, plus two different pizzas. The food was fresh, tasty, and nicely presented. Our waiter was attentive, tho' perhaps a bit too eager to get our drink order. The nicely back-lit dining room was packed, tho' we had no trouble hearing each other and getting caught up. Solid meal, tho' not necessarily inventive. We will be back.
- Yumm!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014A friend recommended this place to me as I rarely frequent the lower east side. It is on a quiet street and yet close enough that getting a cab after dinner was no problem. The interior is very ambient. It's dark inside but with lots of low lights for atmosphere. The fire oven if visible as well as the kitchen from the dining room. The food was excellent. I had the butternut ravioli which was amazing. My friend had the entire fish which was cooked perfectly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and if I am ever down that way again, would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even bought the book!aaronmcoVIPDined on 6/21/2014My Wife and I got a recommendation to visit Apizz. From our experiences with Raoul at the bar to sitting down in a comfortable table with impeccable service; we knew we weren't going to be disappointing. I research the amazing wines before arriving at the dinner but with hesitation, confident Raoul not only pick the perfect wines for us but fully explained the menu; the half portions available so you can have a variety. We had four appetizers for the table the octopus, shrimp, meatballs, and salads were all amazing and flavorful; entrees were again perfect in every way. I had to know more about this restaurant and its Chef, next day i read the whole book and have already tried out a few of the recipes.Special Features:
- Divine Diningmom2diVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everything we ordered was delicious--pizza, oven roasted branzino (best we ever had), pasta, lobster risotto, shrimp and calamari appetizers. Even the ricotta spread for the bread was divine. Apizz serves exceptional food in a comfortable atmosphere with excellent service.Special Features:
- great food, cave-like restaurantetc1Dined on 6/20/2014I made a last minute reservation and was pleasantly surprised. Food was great. The Chorizo Pizza and Raviloi Con Zucca were favorites among the table. The only draw back I see is the ambience. The restaurant is dark, no windows, and cave-like.
- Great foodKesslercDined on 6/14/2014The food was great here. My only issue, and it's not even a real "issue," was the waitstaff. We were never greeted by a server when we sat, someone just showed up, asked us what wine we wanted, then apparently he was our waiter. He did a fine job the rest I the night, just an awkward start. Also, he may have been too attentive. I don't need my wine topped off every 3 minutes, especially when I haven't taken a sip. Overall, good place and I would recommend for the food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FishsuttonplaceDined on 5/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner. We started with very full and tasty salads. The whole open oven baked branzino was about the best we ate anywhere. It was fresh, moist and delicious.Special Features:
- APIZZ EXPERIENCE.Dineout8daysaweekDined on 5/18/2014GREAT FOOD, SERVICE @ AMBIANCE. NOISE LEVEL LOW, VERY GOOD LOOKING INTERIOR,VERY GOOD PLATE PRESENTATION. THE WINE GLASS SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH A LIGHTER WEIGHT MORE LUXURIOUS LOOKING AND BETTER FEELING IN THE HAND GLASS. IN SUMMATION WE HAD A WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE AND A WONDERFUL EVENING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't stay, but still enjoyedLittleItalyLocalDined on 5/17/2014My wife was feeling ill, so we had to leave before our main dishes came. However, everything leading up to that point was amazing. Cocktails were tasty, the bread with ricotta and marinera sauce was delicious, and our appetizer was good. Our dishes we took home did not live up to the experience, but that is likely because we had to wait 20 minutes after receiving them to eat them when we got back to the hotel. All in all, this place is a solid choice for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and ambianceAliceCDined on 5/11/2014My family went to Apizz for the first time on Mothers Day as we had taken a tour over at the Tenement Museum. Picked it based on location and reviews and was very pleased with the choice. The pizza with spinach and cheese and one large salad as an appetizer was perfect for the 4 of us. All of our meals were delicious and so filling that we did not have room to taste dessert! Hopefully next time we can have dessert and those yummy looking meatballs we did not try yet!!Special Features:
- The following 763 reviews are from the Apizz reviews archive.
- ApizzloviDined on 5/3/2014Service was perfect until they (kindly) asked us if we could move to the bar after finishing our main course, since there was four people waiting for a table. After moving to the bar the waitress started neglecting us. Some friends of hers came in to the restaurant and she started chatting with them instead of giving service. It seemed like she had forgotten about us and we had to wait for a long time to get the check. We left the restaurant with a feeling of unsatisfaction. Too bad, since the food was good.Special Features:
- Happy First timerfoodloverVIPDined on 5/3/2014Found Apizz while searching for a new place on the LES and A'pizz sounded nice. The restaurant was on a residential block all alone with a neon sign and a funky entrance that led into a world of fantastic food, great service and a really great vibe. A'pizz is one room with an oven, literally with perhaps 15 tables where two cooks turn out truly terrific food. Our server was great, service spot on and just a totall pleasure. I will be back that's for sure...one of the best meals I have had in months....Special Features:
- Everything revolves around the ovenGallagherDined on 4/25/2014The oven is the center of the food at Apizz. The bread made in it is amazing! The pizzas made in it are equally excellent. Great obscure Italian wine list of bottles one rarely sees in the US, but overpriced even for NY (Marked up 4X retail).Special Features:
- Lost on me...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014This restaurant came highly recommended by a bunch of people who have solid creds. I thought every dish we ordered (including the famed lasagna) was quite average. Bottom line is I was disappointed...especially at that price point.
- Apizz Dinner for 3AFullStomachDined on 4/11/2014Food was flavorful and the menu offered a not too large selection to choose from but with plenty of variety. True to the servers word, the wild boar lasagna was not gamey, and indeed very tasty. Short rib gnocchi was the best meal on the menu, hearty, well seasoned, but with not too large gnocchi to avoid overwhelming the dish. Pair the short ribs with a glass of Barolo and you'll be a happy camper. Good food, great wine. My only critique would be the light fixture cover that fell on our table during the meal was a bit worrying. In return we got free desert which was a nice gesture. Overall a great experience but there is room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh....DianneDined on 4/11/2014The restaurant wasn't what I expected. Being from an Italian home, I know what "APizz" means, unfortunately, this place didn't impress. When we arrived, the ambiance is delightful, however spanish music was playing in the background. I thought that was odd, but then thought it even odder that a pizza would have "chorizo" on it! I wanted a salad with grilled chicken before sharing pizza with my friends.....they couldn't accomodate; they didn't have any grilled chicken! So, we asked for cannellini beans instead...they were hard as a rock!! We ordered a few "pizza's". They arrived on a rectangular appetizer size plate...about the size of a normal forearm. To sum it up, the ambiance was sweet, but the food so-so and really overpriced.Special Features:
- Great night at ApizzAdventuresOfJohnAndCatDined on 4/6/2014My girlfriend and I dined at Apizz on Sunday (4/6/14) and had a wonderful time. The service was warm and friendly. The bread (served with marinara sauce and ricotta cheese) was great, the pizza appetizer was delicious and the mains (shared the gnocci with short rib and the open ravioli with buttenut squash) were excellent. The wait staff was attentive and helpful. The space was warm and cozy and the large open hearth gave the place a very romantic feel. My girlfriend had asked for help in choosing between two desserts and our waiter brought us both (the one we didnt order on the house). Highly recommend for a date or dinner with friends/family. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the food was great-meatbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014As always, the food was great-meatballs and gnocchi were big hits. Service friendly without being overbearing. The brick walls and fire in the oven create a warm and cozy atmosphere. We have been many times before and will continue to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been there a numberOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014We've been there a number of times and the food, service and ambience have always been great!Special Features:
- charming delicious LESModelsEatVIPDined on 4/1/2014This place is really nice, brick walls, nice lighting, cosy atmosphere w sophistication. stands out from all other LES restaurants. Oven roasted branzino is done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME experience!!! FoodHungryDogDined on 3/21/2014AWESOME experience!!! Food was delicious, everything was just perfect!! Love the hot tomato sauce, and ricotta that is served with the complimentary bread!! Gnocchi, mini pizza, lasagna was absolutely amazing!!!! I plan on going back soon!!! YUMMMMM!!!! A+++Special Features:
- Dining at Apizz.y90zivDined on 3/20/2014So we went there me and my girl for our two year anniversary.. if only we checked the menu before we went there... the place looks great and all and also is the menu altho it was very short menu. Me & my girlfriend don't eat pork/seafood like lobster and most of the menu was that... so we were very picky in the choices.. but what we choose was very good.Special Features:
- A great placeGinaDined on 3/14/2014The pizza was amazing. We liked the place and will be back.Special Features:
- Get the meatballs. Seriously.cbweaver88Dined on 3/7/2014Great little restaurant on the LES, was a bit tough to find given the inclimate weather we were having that evening. My girlfriend and I were looking for some italian food and she suggested this place to me, and I am very glad she did. This ended up being the best food I had had all week. We ordered the meatballs which were simply amazing. Rich but not over done maybe a little to hot upon being brought to the table (only because I waited a good 7 to 10 minutes before they were easy to tolerate.). I'll be honest they were so good I can't remember what she ordered because we were both eating primarily off of my plate. All in all this place has great food, great service and an excellent wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Place, very poor serviceJordanVIPDined on 2/28/2014Our waiter was inattentive and unprofessional, which is a shame because the neighborhood fave is charming, cosy and consistently has great food.Special Features:
- My wife and I out for a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014My wife and I out for a lovely evening. Nice atmosphere. Great tasting food. Lovely service. A little loud as the evening got later. Have already recommended to friends, would definitely visit there again.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surpriseditalianaDined on 2/20/2014The service was fantastic and attentive, and the wines were unique yet region-specific with excellent choices. The food was delicious - the entrees better than the appetizers - and the ambiance was very romantic and cozy. Highly recommend the oven roasted whole fish, probably one of the best and most tender and moist Ive ever had.Special Features:
- This place is defintely aJFernandezDined on 2/19/2014This place is defintely a neighborhood gem. The food was delicious! Must haves are the gnocco and the lasagna.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedareyDined on 2/15/2014We went to this restaurant as a last minute decision and all four of us were blown away. Great ambiance, service, and most importantly, food. Will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food Great VibeMCNY32Dined on 2/12/2014Took my girlfriend here for a date and had great food, good service, and enjoyed the setup. Dimly lit with good space between tables and just a romantic vibe in general. Would definitely come back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/11/2014I really love this place, there food is incredible. The pastas are fantastic, but you have to be in the mood for some meat. Not a lot of veggie options / lighter pastas here.Special Features:
- Awesome find.schristieDined on 2/9/2014Tucked away on Eldridge, this is one of the best meals you'll find in the LES. Best part about it: it's far enough removed from the business of Orchard or Ludlow that you'll rarely have to wait for a table. Enjoy a bottle of wine with hearty portions of their famous gnocchi or lasagna, and you're set for the evening. If you leave without having the Tiramisu, you've done yourself a great disservice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wonderful ambianceStevenCDined on 2/9/2014This was our second time to dine at Apizz and it is truly a wonderful restaurant with a very appetizing menu. The restaurant is on a quiet street and sets up for a great date spot or the perfect place to celebrate that special day. We were very pleased with the food. For starters, the bread they serve was great with the ricotta and marinara. The salad was a large and delicious. We also had the Veal Bolognese (very good and recommended) and the Lobster risotto which both were very satisfying dishes and the generous portion size left both of us with to-go boxes to enjoy the next night as well. We will be back.Special Features:
- Host was a nightmare, sneeringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Host was a nightmare, sneering at us right from the start. We (5) were led to our table, which could clearly seat only four. The host chided "you squeeze, you squeeze." The table setup was two chairs and one long cushioned bench along the wall. Our elbows were literally hanging off the edges of the table, and those of us at the edges had to keep our legs crossed throughout the duration of our meal. Waiters and busboys kept stepping on my feet. Ordered: the skate (good); lobster risotto (cold shell sticking out in the rice was off-putting and unnecessary); short rib gnocchi (good); and butternut squash ravioli (greasy and terribly sweet). Portions were large but VERY heavy-handed in olive oil/cream treatment, depending on the dish.