114 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 33127Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alligatorsoul.com/
- Phone: 9122327899
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris DiNello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that comfortable seats 12 guests with a minimum of 9 and a semi private room that comfortable seats 26 guests with a minimum of 20-22 depending on the day of the week. There is no room charge with a minimum guaranty.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Craig 9122327899
- Entertainment: Overhead music, mostly blues, ie Buddy Guy, Etta James, BB King, John Lee Hooker with splashes of Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss, etc.
- Cross Street: Broughton/State
- Public Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available behind our building. This lot is rented to various business"s and is available for the general public after 5:30. There is two spaces that we recommend that our guests do not park in and they should contact us for any necessary explanation.
A word from Alligator Soul
Come, Eat...Drink...and Relax Your "Soul". Alligator Soul is a beautiful unpretentious fine dining restaurant. We offer a full bar, lounge with Romantic fireplace where guests can relax and have a cocktail before dinner or dessert after dinner. Alligator Soul"s credo: From the moment you walk in the door, until the moment you leave...it's all about you! We take pride in the care we give to each of our guests, the ambiance we provide, in addition to the upmost quality and value we place with every dish we make. Whether you have dietary allergic restrictions, or you choose a vegetarian or vegan diet, we can accommodate your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Alligator Soul - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Alligator Soul reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (206)fit for foodies (190)romantic (186)neighborhood gem (107)notable wine list (92)hot spot (44)good for groups (35)late-night find (30)vibrant bar scene (20)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Genius menuMrKeyDined on 8/30/2014Fantastic innovative cuisine with all the best of traditional and local recipes. The service was impeccable, again...the food was genius! We yankees had gator for the first time and loved it!Special Features:
- Best dinner in the south!pupl0verLAVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were traveling through Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah and the entrees we has here were the best. We has the creole jambalaya and duck. Both were amazing. The house salad was wilted in dressing unfortunately and house bread not great, but the service and entrees made up for it!! Also, they were great about giving us a special table and honoring our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We selected this particular restaurant after reading the reviews & on the request of a family member who'd been here once before & loved it. We were celebrating a birthday as well as another life milestone this particular night. The service staff made a point of mentioning these celebrations more than once which made our guests feel special. The food here is unique as well as delicious. Elk, bison, alligator as well as the traditional fare of chicken and beef are offered. Everything was delicious. The only complaint we had was that the seating near the bar was noisy which made conversation somewhat difficult. Suggest requesting a table toward the back of the dining area.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We were unhappy from the moment we arrived when the host sat us at the worst table in the restaurant. I made our reservation a month prior expecting a quiet table for two. We asked to be moved and were seated in a back room with several open tables. I'm still not sure why we weren't seated there first. Our waitress (Kate) was very nice and was doing a great job until she got very busy with other tables. We waited a very long time for dessert and even longer for our check. The food was OK, not outstanding and not reflective of the prices. Overall, a huge disappointment. We will probably not return.
- One of Savannah's best for dining.SlopedinerrDined on 8/28/2014One of the best restaurants we've been to in Savannah. We had the ribeye steak and the pork loin, both of which were excellently prepared. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and everyone wished us well, and the pecan tarts were a delightful touch. The service was not overly solicitous; it's sub-street level location gives one the feeling of dining in a wonderful cave. Highly recommended, and wish they had a restaurant in Brooklyn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenonial dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The food was outstanding, started the meal off with gator & pork sausage which quite possibly could be the best sausage I 've ever eaten..and being an Italian from NY, that says a lot! I followed that up with the Red Deer Medallions which was paired perfectly with Brussels sprouts. My wife went with the grouper dish which she absolutely enjoyed. The server was attentive and personable. One thing they did that I think every restaurant should do is ask if anyone on the table has allergies. Raising a child with severe allergies is something we deal with on a daily basis, we found it extremely thoughtful that they asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experienceDubbleDee2Dined on 8/27/2014We wanted to step out of our comfort zone and try a completely unique dining experience while visiting Savannah. Upon checking reviews on Yelp, Alligator Soul seemed like the perfect place to try. We were so very pleased with the service, atmosphere and menu which featured exotic foods which we were eager to try. Overall this restaurant was awesome and the food was wonderful. We are so glad we tried Alligator Soul and highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014Smal place, so make a reservation, but it is so worth it! The food is amazing, but the service is out of this world.Special Features:
- DeliciousnessFox0218VIPDined on 8/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers, meal and drinks. I enjoyed the elk (a first time for me) and my partner's beef tenderloin was amazing. Fantastic restaurant worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate Life at Alligator SoulSilenceisgoldenDined on 8/21/2014We celebrated our 10th anniversary here and we were very happy with our choice. The waiter paid great attention to us and served us with great presentation and respect. He gave great advice on dishes and wines. Unique and delicious food and drinks. Highly recommend for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot On!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014From service to scrumptious food - absolutely spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Alligator Soul is the most fantastic restaurant in Savannah! The food is EXCELLENT, the cocktails are great, the wine list is extensive, awesome ambience --- it's an ABSOLUTE must if you're in SavannahSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Dining ExperienceJMLSNLDined on 8/16/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and we don't think we could have found anything more perfect. It is located in a basement and the ambiance was subdued and romantic even though every table was filled. The entire staff was warm and welcoming and each person did their best to make us feel special on our special day. From the special box of tartlets on our table to the bottle of wine. The food was very fresh and well prepared and each course was presented in a timely fashion so that you never felt rushed. There were so many interesting choices it was hard to make a selection but the Scallops and Ribeye Steak that we ordered were great. We hope that we will have the opportunity to visit again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just insane good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Easily one of the best meals either myself, or my girlfriend has ever had. We would come back in a heartbeat. There is nothing negative to say. Every single thing was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40 minute wait - and too loud!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/201440 minute wait is far too long after our reservation time- looks like they tried to squeeze in too many and too loud!!
- Birthday FunOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This was my best birthday dinner ever! Such delicious good, fantastic staff. Everyone was so friendly! I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Best dining experience in savannahOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went to Alligator Soul for our third anniversary last week. The ambience is not particularly formal but very classy. My waiter was very knowledgeable, at tentative, and polite. I had the special game dish which was elk when I was there (it varies each night). It was extraordinary-perfectly seasoned, extraordinarily tender, and creative sides which were delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Exotic Meat EntreeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014I had kangaroo for the first time...it was outstanding! Great taste, well prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!BT123Dined on 8/13/2014I went to Alligator Soul last Wednesday night with my girlfriend. The food was unbelievably good and the service was fantastic. The oyster appetizer might have been the best I have ever had. We both tried the kangaroo for our main meal and it could not have tasted any better. We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizpLuvtoeatDined on 8/8/2014Great service. Food mediocre especially for the price. Being from Charleston, definitely didn't live up to even the neighborhood bistro. Service was great. Waitstaff very attentive. The scallop entree was very strange, pairing with melon just didn't seem to work. The pork belly was delicious but only received a tiny portion.
- DonnaDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful experience! The food was phenomenal and service great. Shrimp and grits were excellent. Will definitely go back when we are in Savannah again!Special Features:
- WonderfulMarcVIPDined on 8/4/2014Just a great dining experience. Great food, service, and wine. Quality southern style food and the staff works as a team to create a fantastic evening. Highly recommended for the most critical of gourmands.Special Features:
- The menu says....VegandinerDined on 8/4/2014Veggies Fear Not Are You a Vegetarian or Vegan Looking for a Good Meal? Chef Will Prepare a Unique and Delicious Vegetarian Entrée with Today’s Market-Fresh Ingredients so, Veggies.... Fear Not! Twenty-Five Dollars The"Unique and Delicious Vegetarian Entrée" was Rabbit Stew but they would "leave the rabbit off". The vegan option was a small mediocre bowl of Gumbo w/ a few cubes of smoked tofu. This used to be the place to go for great Vegan & Vegetarian food. Very dissappointing.
- Alligator SoulsavfoodieDined on 8/3/2014This place is to die for! Totally amazing food with a cozy ambiance. I tried the bison which was out of this world. Thank you Alligator Soul for a great dining experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondeful!SprtlvrDined on 8/2/2014Absolutely wonderful. Superb service, food was great, ambiance excellent. Enjoyed all aspects and WILL return! One of my better experiences, all time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snappy ChoiceLudieDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed listening to the experienced server about the ingredients in each dish. My husband and I were on a quiet alcohol free night, so just wanted satisfying food, his baked oysters were superb and so was my Shrimp Creole dish very comforting food , tasty and competent.Special Features:
- A Tasty Local GemJoshDined on 8/2/2014The three courses were great. I had the Alligator Soul Salad, Bison Flank Steak, and Chocolatier's Choice dessert. They try and incorporate many local ingredients which I always find awesome and fresh. I had the bartender's choice cocktail which was a ginger drink with a jalapeno spice, very good. There was very little I did not care for about this restaurant except there is no parking unless you can find something on the street nearby, otherwise its about two blocks walk from Jefferson garage. One other thing is make your reservation as early as possible if you want to have the place to yourself, it gets busy very quick (especially during restaurant week when we dined).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent. Food very ingenious, modern. Excellent atmosphere and service. Love the adventurous menu.
- Nothing less than FantasticDFullerDined on 8/1/2014Walked in with reservations and didnt even have to wait a single second for our table. Our server talked a little too fast while trying to explain how the specials were made, but we knew what we wanted anyways. The food was fantastic. Drinks were never less than half full. Two thumbs up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great find!!!!!Wikiwiki59VIPDined on 8/1/2014In town from Toronto trying all the renowned restaurants. This is a top pick for food,flavours and service All ingredients are locally sourced so super fresh. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperiencedmeeksDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I visited Alligator Soul for the first time during restaurant week. The food was delicious and there were several selections unlike some of the other participating restaurants. Our favorite items were the Boudin Sausage, Soul Creole, and Banana Beignet. The service was exceptional and our waitress Emily was very knowledgeable and friendly. We will be back next time to try one of their exotic meats!Special Features:
- Great upscale findJulingtonResidentVIPDined on 8/1/2014The oysters appetizer is a must! Their wine flights are also a good deal. I would definitely return if I'm in Savannah again.Special Features:
- solid choice in SavannahfscorchDined on 8/1/2014food is well prepared and presentation is visually appealing. service was very attentive and friendly. creole and scallop dishes, while both very tasty, were a little skimpy on the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the WifeMattDined on 8/1/2014Was an amazing dinner....went for restaurant week ended up ordering off normal menu...wife and I were stuffed! the Pork Short rib was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Excellent experience! Enjoy a memorable meal with excellent service.Special Features:
- Best Steak EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014After walking into the warm atmosphere of this restaurant regardless of what we ordered I knew we were in for a really treat. After a wonderful cocktail, we were seated and quizzed our waitress, Meaghan on the menu. How she was able to memorize the details of all the dishes, I will never understand that gift. She did a wonderful job and when asked what her favorite dish was she recommended the “Little Hilbo” ribeye. Like many of us, I have eaten my share of this cut, and grill a pretty good one myself. That said, this was perhaps the best steak I have ever eaten, the seasoning and level of doneness where exceptional (medium rare a must) and the hand cut fries in duck fat. I could have made a meal of them. Thank you for making our evening.Special Features:
- bartender/waitressfoodiegirlDined on 7/30/2014Server was a lovely girl that was actually a bartender. She was knowledgeable and friendly and fun. Good was good. Slightly boring. But we choose from the "restaurant week" menu, so maybe there were more interesting choices on the normal menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekSyranDined on 7/29/2014We went to Alligator Soul this week for Restaurant Week. It definitely makes the place a bit more affordable, I spent half as much as I normally do there. :) Portions are smaller then with a normal menu, but with 3 courses, you still get a good bit of food, and we left there happy and full. Service was a little more lacking then normal, which surprised me a bit; but we'll go again easily, one of our favorite places to eat in Savannah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John & JeanetteJandJDined on 7/29/2014We happened upon Alligator Soul by chance. It was worth it. Excellent for everything. The service, the atmosphere, the food, the drinks made it a great night. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah JewelGreatfallsdebVIPDined on 7/28/2014This was my first visit to Savannah and to Alligator Soul. It was perfect...from the selection of interesting custom cocktails through the dinner menu. We had hand crafted cocktails, baked oysters, duck cassoulet and other dishes I can't recall now. The service was excellent. It was a nice intimate restaurant space below ground. We would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.