114 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 33127Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alligatorsoul.com/
- Phone: (912) 232-7899
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris DiNello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that comfortable seats 12 guests with a minimum of 9 and a semi private room that comfortable seats 26 guests with a minimum of 20-22 depending on the day of the week. There is no room charge with a minimum guaranty.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Craig 9122327899
- Entertainment: Overhead music, mostly blues, ie Buddy Guy, Etta James, BB King, John Lee Hooker with splashes of Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss, etc.
- Cross Street: Broughton/State
- Public Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available behind our building. This lot is rented to various business"s and is available for the general public after 5:30. There is two spaces that we recommend that our guests do not park in and they should contact us for any necessary explanation.
A word from Alligator Soul
Come, Eat...Drink...and Relax Your "Soul". Alligator Soul is a beautiful unpretentious fine dining restaurant. We offer a full bar, lounge with Romantic fireplace where guests can relax and have a cocktail before dinner or dessert after dinner. Alligator Soul"s credo: From the moment you walk in the door, until the moment you leave...it's all about you! We take pride in the care we give to each of our guests, the ambiance we provide, in addition to the upmost quality and value we place with every dish we make. Whether you have dietary allergic restrictions, or you choose a vegetarian or vegan diet, we can accommodate your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Alligator Soul - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Alligator Soul reviews from OpenTable diners
287 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (205)special occasion (184)romantic (178)neighborhood gem (133)notable wine list (99)hot spot (60)good for groups (41)late-night find (28)vibrant bar scene (19)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Eclectic MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Intimate setting with an eclectic menu and extensive wine list. Must have the oyster appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosebudDined on 11/22/2014The eclectic menu coupled with the stellar service made for a truly memorable experience. I enjoyed a throwback cocktail made with smoked moonshine, both interesting and delicious. Started with the Alligator Boudin and the house salad, the boudin was a first and was spicy and flavorful, the salad had the most amazing croutons ever, made from grits and deep fried! Entrees did not disappoint either, didn't go for the exotics but both meals were executed perfectly. If your in Savannah and appreciate an unusual menu, prepared with fresh local ingredients then splurge on an evening at Alligator Soul, it is absolutely worth it. Would have given five stars but restaurant was a bit warm for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat placeCTavaresDined on 11/21/2014Enjoyed our date night! Very unique food. The chocolate dessert was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're Hooked!DenverNativeDined on 11/17/2014We enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. Rebecca, our waitress, was a wealth of knowledge about the offerings in each course and wine pairings. Alligator Soul, we're hooked and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in SavannahBeachBumVIPDined on 11/16/2014Chose this place of Elizabeth's! Dinner and service was outstanding. Though a bit pricey, well well worth it! We had 3 apps and 2 entrees, all very good portions. Our waitress was great, though seemed like 3 others waiters checked in on us throughout the meal (great teamwork). Cozy yet roomy. We had a table to 10+ people next to us, but we were just fine noisy and privacy wise. Can't begin to rave about the food. Oyster app, didn't even taste like oysters but sooooo good. Fried Green tomatoes, giant portion and lightly fried and fresh. Steak was very good, and highly recommend the Osso Buco. Waitress was excellent in pairing our food and wines. For one of the wines glasses, she actually talked my girl friends out of the $13 wine for the $9 b/c she thought it would pair better - AND IT DID! Sadly we were too stuffed to try the desert, will have to check that out next time we are back in Savannah!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be going backMooseVIPDined on 11/13/2014my wife and i shared the charcuterie platter for an appetizer.ours consisted of roast pork belly, a heavily smoked marrow bone, lamb sausage and a pickled vegetables. it's served on a wood plank. not a problem except the server didn't provide plates.not a big deal but an example of unprofessional service. one of the breads, a jalapeño smoked corn muffin, was the best bite of the meal.my main course was elk tenderloin.i asked for it to be rare. it was cooked perfectly, with ok mashed potatoes and broccoli.the elk was under seasoned needing a salt/pepper crust.contrasted with this under seasoning, my wife's shrimp and grits were HIGHLY spiced. the shrimp were overcooked and the grits were too hot.my wife ordered shrimp and grits at the ivy inn in charlottesville a few days earlier and swooned with how delicious it was there. the contrast with the alligator soul couldn't have been starker.we were in a room with 4 other 2 seat tables along with a table for 12.the noise level made conversation virtually impossible.we were anxious to leave as soon as we finished our entrees.ordinarily we would have returned the fish and grits but the place was packed.we were served appetizers very promptly, a bit too promptly, and then waited forever for the entrees (the waiter apologized for the extended delay). had we returned the plate we might still be waiting for its replacement. as i said, the place was rocking (there was a food and wine event in savannah that week) lots of people at the bar, all the tables filled--a number of them with 6 and more, so i suspect the kitchen just couldn't cope.if alligator soul were a low or medium priced restaurant i'd be more sympathetic, giving it a 3 rating. but when prices are very high (the elk was $39) one expects consistently good food and service. this was certainly not evident at dinner on november 13.parking is a disaster in this part of town so if you're not staying close enough to walk i suggest taking a cab from your hotel.
- Pushy ServerDisappointedVIPDined on 11/11/2014The four of us intended to have a leisurely dinner. Our server continually pushed us to get our entrees ordered even though we told her we wanted our first course served before we would decide on the entrée. One first course order was for six oysters. We were served twelve. Our server admitted to the error but still charged us for twelve (a $29 dish). In retrospect we should have asked her to remove six from the plate. We were looking forward to this meal but ultimately we did not feel welcome in the establishment.
- Very attentive, slightly noisy barKnowGoodFoodDined on 11/11/2014Good food, very attentive staff. Special in that regard. We both felt the bartender could dial down his voice a few decibals. Shrimp and grits are crazy good as is the scallops - both were a 10. Hailing from Louisiana however, the gumbo just didn't deliver the goods. It gets a 4. We will definitely go back. Having been to many of Savannah's best restaurants, this one is a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placekeifDined on 11/10/2014Hard to find.Worth the search.Everything about Alligator Soul was amazing.We had a table in a semi private room. Quiet, dimly lite, very romantic.My wife loved it.The roasted duck is what I loved.I would be happy eating this terrific meal on the nearby railroad tracks.5 star from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal at Alligator Soulsrdavis02Dined on 11/10/2014Great spot below street level. While it is expensive it should be on everyone's list when traveling to Savannah. The owner was active and engaging even on a Monday evening. Tried the Gator appetizer on the menu the particular night we were there and it was great. We will be returning on our next trip to Savannah!Special Features:
- Great Dinneraugirl016Dined on 11/9/2014The service was wonderful and the food was even better. The meals are priced at a normal range for a restaurant like this. The oysters were great and the Shrimp and Grits were like heaven. My friend got the Scallops as her entrée and they were delicious as well. I was a little disappointed in my Elk steak, as it had such a gamey taste I was unable to eat it. I really do not think it was the chef's fault, but rather my taste buds just not liking Elk. I will definitely go back as there were several other entrées there that I would like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasurediningdowntownDined on 11/9/2014Loved it all. So fresh and inventive. Was pleased to enjoy local, fresh, and delicious meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rewarding findElmieDined on 11/9/2014This was my first time to Savannah and was unfortunately a marathon weekend so reservations were difficult. AS accommodated us in advance and we were not disappointed. Our only complaint was that our server, who was attentive and responsive, was VERY difficult to understand for northerners. He had a heavy Savannah accent and on top of that, slurred his words. We did not catch one thing he said and could only disintegrate into giggles. We may have chosen other specials if we had only understood what they were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not dissapointDMJ001VIPDined on 11/9/2014Yet again, Alligator Soul keeps the high standards. I went there for my birthday. Personalized gift, waiter's special attention, excellent elk steak .... Just amazing.Special Features:
- Best in Savannah for Cajun / Creolecajuns2014Dined on 11/8/2014I myself being a true Cajun from Louisiana found Alligator Soul to be the best place for Cajun / Creole food in Savannah. The staff is great and will go out of their way to make your visit one the remember.Special Features:
- pingDined on 11/7/2014On Friday, Nov 7th, we had 5:45 reservations and had to be at the Johnny Mercer Theater for a 7:30 show. We told the waitress who told the chef and we got to the concert - no sweat! Thanks!!! Little things like that keep people like me coming back.Special Features:
- Peaceful, delightful night!diane707VIPDined on 11/6/2014I just wanted a quiet peaceful night and I knew that Alligator Soul was the place for that, PLUS a delicious dinner! It is just a fabulous place, like going down into a wine cellar, and it is so unique! I love it. Sonny was my server--great service and Chef Stephen came out and said hi and his food was fantastic. Melvin, the manager even stopped and chatted. Just a great group of people that are so responsive to the guest's needs and wanting to be sure you have a really wonderful time. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a carnivore's dreamRichBethDined on 11/6/20142nd visit here. Love the imaginative menu and informed and helpful servers.Special Features:
- JaneDined on 11/6/2014Great food and great service! It was a great find as there are so many to choose from. Must make a reservation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gator GreatzebraDined on 11/6/2014Really interesting venue a few steps down from street level. Excellent spicy fried green tomatoes. There was alligator tail sausage which was a special that day and it was yummy. My fish was delicious, my husbands osobucco good. Will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014Food that touches your soul! We will return every time we pass thru Savannah!Special Features:
- Alligator but no soulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/3/2014I wanted exotic anything; got red deer, have not eaten that previously, but it was paired with what should have been a savory bread "pudding", but instead was insipid bread pudding. I would go back, and I would recommend it but with caveats - still, if you want something you've never had you may find it there, along with a very good, very overpiced wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodJaneTim11384Dined on 11/2/2014Highly recommend this restaurant. Amazing food. Friendly staff. Our server Adam was the best. Definitely a place to go when you are in Savannah. The Hogan's Jarrettsville. MarylandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014No complaints, which coming from me, means a lot. I love to complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeremyWilmluvsavDined on 11/1/2014The place was great. The server Samantha was great and very accommodating to us all night. She was very knowledgeable and took great care of us throughout the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We loved the bison osso buco, so moist and tender, it falls apart with your fork. We also loved the special app, the alligator sausage. The gumbo however was only average and the portion size left us feeling hungry (until we stuffed ourselves with the bison). We went for a birthday and they have us a box with a personalized message on top and delicious pecan pie cookies inside. Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceFredHVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit and we will be back. The service was exceptional, the food very good. The basement location is different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining, downstairsEatingOutDined on 10/31/2014A unique experience - the entire restaurant is underground. The authentic brick arches add to the ambiance. This "farm to table" restaurant has some unique dishes. The price point is on the higher end, but not out of line with fine dining restaurants. The staff was attentive, helpful and made for a pleasant dining experience. We dined here on the last night of our week-long stay in Savannah - it was a perfect way to close out the week.Special Features:
- unpretentiousDined on 10/31/2014I had gumbo and a sea trout with red rice and greens. It was good--the breads were excellent, too. I found the service a little too fussy, asking if I wanted someone every other minute (it was very early and maybe the servers just weren't busy enough), but everyone was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant In SavannahJbozDined on 10/30/2014This was our second time and we loved it. The oysters are a must try. They really made us feel special on our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top five lifetime mealsAreaManDined on 10/29/2014The review title is no lie. Should any disclaimer be necessary, I hadn't eaten for some nine hours prior, and that was a granola bar. That aside, it would be hard to exaggerate the care taken with each food element and my joy eating it from the salad to the dessert. Aside from exemplary freshness, there were nuances I could not have anticipated, like croutons which managed to be simultaneously melt-in-your-mouth and crunchy. The lamb showed its manners in its tenderness, lamb-y without being gamey. The dessert chocolatier's choice was chocolate end to end, even as it introduced mint and I believe, apple! Every course provided a marriage of unexpected sensations, tastes and textures. This meal shall be the ruination of all meals to follow.Special Features:
- PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Quality and preparation of food does not warrant the big bucks price. Steak was tasty but extremely tough and chewy and was accompanied by McDonald's type fries. Lamb was ordered well done and arrived very pink on the inside. Steak was ordered medium rare but was very rare. The entire meal for two, including one drink each, dessert, coffee, tax & tip came to $167. It's your choice.Special Features:
- A local favoritemacGoogleVIPDined on 10/28/2014The food was diverse and superb. Megan, our server, was well acquainted with the menu's nuances. The locals were impressed that we knew about this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great date spotmistyDined on 10/27/2014My husband and I spent 3 beautiful days in savannah. We had a romantic dinner at alligator soul on our 3rd night. My husband is a gumbo connoisseur and eats it everywhere we go. He declared the gumbo here to be at the too of his very long gumbo list. We split the enormous ribeye (and a bottle of wine) and it was excellent. Put this place on your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedMakeNUp4LostTimeVIPDined on 10/26/2014See Tripadviser review. Was once able to recommend, but no longer. No one there seems to be managing. Quality is hit or miss, and it's too expensive for that. This is a "doesn't care enough" issue. Comes from the top.Special Features:
- Best Savannah has to offer.bohicketladyDined on 10/26/2014One the best restaurants I have been to - I had Bison Osso Buco which was absolutely marvelous. Cooked to perfection and hit every taste bud of flavors of enjoyment including the marrow bone. I would order the same on my next visit to Savannah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern YumminessPromogalDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I recently visited Alligator Soul for dinner and had a really lovely meal. The oysters a la soul were really tasty (watch out for the habanero - it will get ya) as were the fried green tomatoes (although it needed more sauce to balance the dryness). My husband had the little hilbo steak which he enjoyed, but my recommendation is to stay away from the duck and dumplings and go for the shrimp and grits or the suckling pig instead. We unfortunately were too full for dessert as I would have liked to try the banana beignets but maybe next time. Overall the experience was really nice, our server was very helpful and the décor was pretty cool as a cellar. Oh, unless you have a liver of steel stay clear of the moonshine flight.Special Features:
- Amazing Find!AmazingFoodAmazingServiceDined on 10/23/2014This might be the best restaurant I have ever been to. I took my girlfriend here for our second anniversary. After we were seated they brought us a little gift for our anniversary which was super nice. All of the tables are well spaced - not too far and not too close together. I have only had 4 excellent servers in my entire life and the one we had was the 4th. He knew everything inside and out about the dinner menu, wine list, and drink list. But it wasn't just our server, the entire wait staff was amazing. They all helped each other which I was not used to. After each course they brought us fresh plates and silverware. If there were any crumbs on the table they use a special tool to scoop them off. It was amazing. I love this place.Special Features:
- Totally Enjoyable ExperiencecswyDined on 10/23/2014The Suckling Pig was awesome. Our waiter Thomas was wonderful. For dessert you must have the chocolate carmel martini. It was so good, we went back the next night just to have another one!Special Features:
- Always GreatmsgusaDined on 10/21/2014This is my favorite restaurant. Service is always awesome. Food are great and delicious.Special Features: