Allegro Seafood Grill
58 Kossuth St
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
Allegro Seafood Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.allegroseafoodgrill.com/
- Phone: (973) 344-4500
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Portuguese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We Have a variety of Entertainment.
Thursday's, Fridays, Saturday's and Sunday's with our best event the sunset Sunday's
A word from Allegro Seafood Grill
Located in the IronBound section of Newark NJ, Allegro Seafood Grill offers a variety of fresh seafood and authentic portuguese cuisine. The food is made fresh to order and has a beautiful selection of signature dishes. Allegro Seafood Grill offers a full service bar which is open late. Call to inquire about catering and private parties. Patio tables are on a first come, first serve basis. We cannot guarantee you a patio table if you make an online reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Allegro Seafood Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent serviceBattmanDined on 11/15/2014Food and service were great. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was outstanding. I had the Cowboy steak and my girlfriend had the Chilean Sea Bass/Mango Special. Food was a homerun, but the service OUTSIDE was horrible. There were not enough servers to properly attend to the tables outside. I would highly recommend to eat inside and have some drinks outside.Special Features:
- Plenty of foodDaveVIPDined on 9/6/2014We ordered the fish for 2 and meat for 2 there was plenty of food for a small army!Special Features:
- The following 16 reviews are from the Allegro Seafood Grill reviews archive.
- DisappointedNancyVIPDined on 5/24/2014Hectic environment led to being under serviced. There were too many service people buzzing around, yet we felt our needs we're not met. One diner in our party saved half his meal to take home and a busser whisked it away before the rest of us were finished. It was tossed in the garbage. Cuttlefish recommendation by waiter (instead of the calamari I asked for) was impossible to cut or chew. We won't return.
- Good find - close to airport!LikesGoodFoodDined on 5/3/2014I flew in late to Newark and had a one hour drive ahead. This place is a good find - typical local neighborhood bar and restaurant. Lots of locals. Friendly people. Good food. Just what I needed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Food is very good. Service excellent. Valet parking. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To Tough To EatDonDDined on 4/4/2014I ordered Cuttlefish. I was excited about having this opportunity to enjoy Cuttlefish since it is not very common to this item on local menus. Anyway, it was very tough and almost inedible. I left half of the order on my plate and commented to our waiter about the toughness. He did not have a response. Anyway , I can't condemn the restaurant for this. So, we will try it again sometime but Allegro will not be a first choice. PS: very clean and well appointed.
- Dinning at AllegroDude1529Dined on 3/1/2014Iron Bound Brazilian/Portagese resturant, off the main street. Setup is like a local Bar, with large bar where locals hang, piped in music that is loud, which also competes with 4 TV's set to sport/soccer games. Very loud, tables as you would fine in a local bar. The serving are good, and very ample portions. Sharing would be recommended. With the place being loud, we got the wrong food served, Waiter mistook our requests. Multiple staff wait on you. Service is somewhat informal/fast. Locals older patrons, family with children at the tables.
- Great but NoisyDinner42Dined on 1/31/2014Went for a romantic dinner with my boyfriend and found a very family friendly environment! The food was great, but noticed that they do not clean the shrimp. Lots of kids and crying babies, which made the restaurant is very noisy..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Gem!jmateoDined on 1/10/2014We love our dinner my group of 5 was so happy with the seafood, it was amazingly fresh and well presented. This place is kid friendly for early dinner :) perfect for me and my toddler + a teenager (she love the place ha!...) Overall : don't rush to eat just enjoy it. Sangria A+++ *Can't wait to go back with my partner or even take my mother-in-lawSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceJHJHVIPDined on 1/3/2014The restaurant called in advance to confirm our reservation and seemed disappointed when we said we were coming. I understood why later. Despite it being mostly empty, it was a constant effort to get the attention of our waiters. They had to be asked if we could order, did not realize the previous round of dishes had not been cleared before the main course arrived, slowly brought out the main courses over several minutes so the food got cold, had to be asked if we could order desert, and managed to bring coffee ten minutes after desert arrived. And had to be asked for the check. Food was mediocre to ok.
- Birthday dinnerPegsterDined on 10/26/2013I came here to celebrate my birthday on a Saturday night. I had a party of 9 but went down to a party of 7 which the restaurant accommodated nicely. Food was delicious and will definitely return. Sangria is a must-try! Could definitely pass for a romantic spot during the week, but on the weekend, it is an energetic place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuljonioDined on 9/28/2013Had a great time with family. The sangria is the best we've had.Special Features:
- Came here for lunch on a Sunday.GinaVIPDined on 8/25/2013Came here for lunch on a Sunday. A bit difficult to find street parking then. Chose this place based on past reviews...so disappointed. Our waiter was attentive without being rushed. The cod fish cakes were delish. The grilled branzino was ok but the seafood stew (similar to paella) was the surprise disappointment. It was very salty which led us to question the freshness of the seafood. Good to have tried the place but we don't think we'll go back a second time.Special Features:
- Fantastic - Would Go AgainScott911Dined on 6/27/2013GREAT food, portions are HUGE! Much bigger than typical tapas. Everything was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Patio GemGregVIPDined on 6/23/2013I took my large part of my family here and wanted to treat them with my opentable cheques that I received in the mail. We proceded to have a great time in the outside patio. We ordered 3 pitchers of Sangria. (Which by the way if you do have a choice in ordering their Sangria get their signature Allegro Sangria, it is amazing!) some appetizers and the meat entree for 2. We split all of this among 7 people and feasted like kings. We had a great time and the service was great! I do appreciate when I get good service. A lot of Portuguese or Spanish restaurants in the area have terrible service but these guys were great! I will be coming back here for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SettingRevLeonDined on 6/16/2013Tucked away from the mainstream regular assortment of Newark spots, this little gem is a real find. You won't be disappointed. It is the kind of place where you can take your time and they don't mind. There is an old style patience around this place that makes it comfortable and enjoyable. The drinks are really good and they don't nickle and dime you on specialty drinks. It is a fair price for a better than fair experience. We were a party of four and the dishes were all plentiful. Embarrassingly, only one of took home a bag for leftovers. There was just too much of a tasty experience for most of us to leave anything for later or behind. So this place is no joke when it comes to doing what they do best. The food is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allegro feastJulioDined on 5/26/2013I've been there several times and every time the food is excellent as well as the service. The price was also pretty fair and moderate for the quality of food we got. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone with a good appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good authentic PortuguesemketDined on 4/6/2013Very good authentic Portuguese food. Fresh seafood. Comfortable neighborhood ambience. Excellent service. Off the beaten path, but would definitely go back.Special Features: