ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
1205 N. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78703Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alcsteaks.com/
- Phone: 5124721813
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private areas available for groups of 10 to 45 guests. We can offer our regular dinner menu, or we will happily assist you in designing a delicious dinner that is appropriate for any affair and print your custom menu for your guests to select from. We can also provide flowers and assist with wine selection.
- Private Party Contact: Theresa Mertens 5124721813
A word from ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle) - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle) reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)romantic (66)neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (50)notable wine list (40)good for groups (37)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Just alright.OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a gift certificate and it was a fine place to go at the last minute, but I probably would not go again. The quality of the meat was not fantastic and the wait staff was clearly stretched beyond their means. The bartender suggested a pretty good wine, but nothing really wowed me at all.Special Features:
- Never againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Worst steakhouse I've been too in all the states. Slow and bad service. Extremely loud, I was no where near impressed with the food. This is a bar and grill trying to be a steakhouse with steakhouse prices and failing miserably.Special Features:
- Excellent steaksGoodEatsRobDined on 8/26/2014We've been dining here for many years - it's been around for quite a while. Do NOT confuse it with Texas Land and Cattle - they are not in the same league as ALC. The steaks (I have never tried any of their other offerings) have been tender, perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked and delicious. I am especially fond of the bone-in ribeye. We also love the New Mexico goat cheese stuffed green chiles - they provide an incredible flavor burst that has to be experienced to understand. Service is excellent with great timing and no rushing because the next course arrives too early. The prices are on the premium side, but represent a good value for the food an service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Perfectly cooked, beautiful pieces of steak. Our waiter, Clinton, was fantastic as well; he truly went the extra mile whenever an opportunity presented itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We went for a bachelor party and had a thoroughly enjoyable meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Service is always good and the steaks are great! Wine list is good and affordable. Restaurant is due for some updating.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodRareSteakFanDined on 8/19/2014This was our first time visiting ALC and we were certainly not disappointed. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. The food was simply perfect. The steaks were cooked perfectly. Some restaurants don't seem to understand the term "rare". ALC does. Our steaks were nicely browned on the outside and nice and pink on the inside. The cuts of meat were just wonderful, juicy and tender. We look forward to returning on our next trip to AustinSpecial Features:
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014We go here for each of our birthdays. The food and service are always top notch.Special Features:
- Great steakTheR2TowncriticDined on 8/16/2014All the the sides where very good, althoughT he balsamic salad dressing was unusually spicy. I ordered surf and turf. I ordered the steak Med-rare, it came well done. They where very apologetic and accommodating. They brought me out another steak that was perfect and a 2nd lobster-tail. The pecan pie was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksComfyDined on 8/15/2014The filet mignon that I had was excellent; cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent steakOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Good place for a great steak, good service, will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerRuwcoDined on 8/13/2014I took my family to celebrate a birthday and had a very nice experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. The portion sizes were a nice change of pace as many Austin restaurants think that the more expensive a dish is, the smaller the portion. Our steaks were cooked just right and had just enough of my favorite "white" meat. All in all, a very nice dinner. I preferred over Ruth's Chris or the like.Special Features:
- OutstandingCharlesDined on 8/9/2014The steaks and service at ALC was outstanding. Excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine listkgaustin01Dined on 8/9/2014I would give the review 5 stars but the wine list was not up to par. The red wine bottle we did purchase was warm....but The food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austin's BestMarine782VIPDined on 8/9/2014This is, hand's down, the best steak house in Austin. Not in the downtown madness and parking can be difficult at times, but it's worth the drive over to Lamar to get a great steak. The salmon was fabulous also and they have a great wine list. Service is fantastic and attentive. Take the family or friends or both for a great meal. We celebrate all our family occasions here and everyone looks forward to the meal.Special Features:
- Great food -great surpriseJCAlchemyDined on 8/6/2014We were looking for a "Texas Style" place for an early corporate dinner with some out of town guests and our go-to place was not available. So I asked around and Austin Land & Cattle was recommend. We had a great dinner and great service for a reasonable price. I ordered the "off menu" Chicken Fried Tuna and it was out of this world. This place has been in Austin forever and if you haven't stopped by shame on you. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Excellent steaksKen78732Dined on 7/31/2014Filet mignon can often fall short on flavor - optimizing for tenderness but that was not the case in our visit to ALC. Our steaks were both tender and flavorful, and not overwhelmingly flavored as we've had in another Austin-area steakhouse. Delicious. The wine list was disappointing in that it's got some less than stellar examples, possibly just to fill a particular varietal/price-point. Our choice was promptly replaced with another that was satisfactory. My steak arrived plain, rather than in the requested preparation but was very promptly fixed, thanks to the attentive wait staff. All in all, a mixed review. The food can be wonderful and we've already recommended it but there is a need for improved execution overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steakbaggyDined on 7/27/2014Great food, steak just a little rare for medium rare, but really great. Fresh shrimp, not fishy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service ...ktk123Dined on 7/26/2014but we did have a problem with it being hot where we were first seated. Everyone at the table was uncomfortable until we said enough about it to get moved under a vent. Then things were fine. Great food and great service. Two really good bottles of wine. Just slightly marred by insufficient AC and having to move.
- Going down hill :-(NiceSurpriseVIPDined on 7/26/2014I'm very sad to write this review. We've been going to ALC for 10 years. This past weekend was very mediocre. Something has definitely changed! The portions and quality of food are not what we are used to. Plus, we were seated in a small room near a room that was having a private party with about 20 young men. Then as we were leaving (luckily) they brought in an even much louder group of 10 young men. If you're going for a quiet, peaceful meal....be careful you don't get stuck where we were!
- Still dreaming of this nightHappHourHappyLifeDined on 7/26/2014This has turned into our favorite celebratory steak dinner place. We have been a couple times and both times the food, service and experience was wonderful. I will say that this time we had dinner much earlier than before and the extra bit of attention paid to our food, our service and the quietness of the restaurant was enough to make us want to continue to go a little early. I had the filet and it was just outstanding, it melted in my mouth. The wine recommendation for our server was a great pairing as well. Oh and that brownie dessert was so good that we had to resist ordering a second one. This was a great way to celebrate a very joyous time for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great icon..sabkindDined on 7/25/2014We've been coming to ACL for many years. The local vibe is nice compared to the chain steak houses in town - however this past visit the surf & turf was only average and the bathrooms were in need of some attention. We'll go back again and give it another try. Overall it was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timeless SteakhouseEatingwithNXNDined on 7/25/2014Consistently ranked in the top five steakhouses in Austin and usually in the top three. Parking could be difficult but we got lucky. People may be unimpressed by the exterior decor, but once inside, the dining room is perfectly lit for romance, groups, or celebrations. The place has been around for a while, but does not come across as being dated or dingy and is a place to come dressed from business casual to coat and tie. The steaks were perfectly cooked, tender and very tasty and the sides were well proportioned and well thought out. The wine list is excellent. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive without being annoying. I have been to every steakhouse on the Austin top five steakhouse list and would choose this one to go back to.Special Features:
- Good but disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Visiting Austin from Atlanta and was told this was "the place" to get a "once in a lifetime Texas style steak". No. It was good but really nothing special. I've had far better steaks in many "less renowned" places including some steak chain restaurants. Decent but not worth the price or the hype. Food average, service slow and inattentive. Unless you just want to tell people you went here, go elsewhere.
- To recommendJeromeDined on 7/21/2014We enjoyed our dinner there. The meat was excellent and the service was efficient.Special Features:
- Outstanding steaksMaxwellVIPDined on 7/17/2014The best steak in Austin. Nice ambience. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteaksScatchMcGowzerDined on 7/17/2014Great spot for a quiet romantic dinner. Great menu selection and service.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014ALC was a great choice considering all of the steak places in Austin. Food and environment were perfect.Special Features:
- GREAT food, wine and Hostess.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Excellent place to eat. Very nice ambiance, excellent service and the food is OUTSTANDING !!!! Great wine list as well !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #beststeakeverlovesteak4Dined on 7/14/2014Food was outstanding. We enjoyed every bite and felt very satisfied with out being over stuffed. We had a great time, it was very laid back, the waiters were very attentive.Special Features:
- Liked the steak sampler.EverhuntDined on 7/13/2014Visited in July. Found the steak sampler adequate for our appetites at dinner. Sides were delicious. Excellent, friendly service.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodKwhiteDined on 7/12/2014Medium rare steak is my comfort food and ALC always does it well. They have a great Pre-Fixe Dinner on Sunday for $35. Make a reservation for Saturday nights. Parking is usually easy but 7:30 on a Saturday can mean waiting for someone to walk to their car.Special Features:
- ZoomieDined on 7/12/2014Brian, our server, was great and the food was superbSpecial Features:
- Overpriced and awefulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014I really don't know how these guys get away with charging $40+ for their meat where it's second tier at best. The place is tired and dirty. With all of the great steak houses in Austin now, DO NOT waste your time or money at Austin Land & Cattle!!!
- Superb steakMaggieVIPDined on 7/6/2014This is the best steak I've ever had! Hands down and I've had some pretty good steaks in NYC. The steak marinate was out of the world. Not heavy at all. You can taste the meat and the quality of the meat just melts in your mouth. I'm raving about this restaurant once I get back to NYC. Our waiter was also just the best. He recommended me a good wine and was just a sweetheart!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in AustinjpotacoVIPDined on 7/5/2014As always, the steak was delicious and cooked perfectly. Our waiter was great and didn't constantly interrupt us.Special Features:
- Always good!Gmandiner1Dined on 7/3/2014Everything is good. Love the atmosphere. The digital drink menu is cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the 10 oz. filet mignonFritzDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I had ordered 6 oz. filets on previous visits. My wife likes hers medium-rare-plus, and she's always been satisfied by the result. I like mine medium, but they were sometimes overdone. That's not surprising, given the relatively small size of a 6 oz. filet. So we switched to the 10 oz. size, and I got a true medium -- thick, juicy, and done just right. My wife's 10 oz. filet was excellent, too. The best restaurant steaks we've had in many years.
- Overal pretty good, a bit saltyjaimelabonnebouffeDined on 6/29/2014Came on a Sunday- prix fixe menu with good pricing. Service was great and accommodating of our kids to offer some off-menu options. We each had the ribeye and salmon. Both were well cooked but a bit salty. Parents bringing children for an occasion might like to know that my daughter didn't like her burger, and when I tried it before leaving, I found it too thick and undercooked on the inside. (In fairness to ALC, I will note that we didn't notify our waiter, as we were ready to leave when I noticed.)
- Always fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2014Love this place. Must say the service was a little lacking this time, but all in all we are never disappointed. Can't even order anything other than the ribeye because it is so awesome. And thank you for the break basket!Special Features: