Alan Wong's Restaurant
1857 S. King Street
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $50 and over
Alan Wong's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: (808) 949-2526
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Miya Nishimura, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Alan Wong's Restaurant
Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Alan Wong's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Alan Wong's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)fit for foodies (97)romantic (45)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (24)hot spot (22)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- service went down big timeBigalohaDined on 11/16/2014i have been a fan of this place for a few years. This visit was a disaster. I ordered 1) taco, 2) pokepine, 3) ginger red snapper and 4) rib. The server joked "you should order 4 or 5 tacos cause it is small". When i hesitated, he goes "oh i am joking!" Dude, it is first time for me to try tacos, how could this be a joke. It is just misleading and confusing. When i said i was not a big fan of ribs, he insisted on ordering it along with a fish plate. He should have told me that tacos use ribs as well. We could not finish ribs after eating tacos with ribs. Pokepine was heavy as it is deep fried and it is simply too heavy with ribs. I wonder how the service could go down in such a short time.
- Honolulu GemPerryDined on 11/13/2014No trip to Honolulu for a Foodie is complete without a meal at Alan Wong's. He has definitely put Hawaiian Fusion food up their with the best!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014As Tina turner once sang "It's simply the best" We could not fault the food or the executionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service! Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014I thought the appetizers and entrees were great, but then came dessert and I was just amazed. Everything was so delicious and our server was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014This was by far the better food recommendation they should try and do a better job for vegetariansSpecial Features:
- The best everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Celebrated my wife's 50th birthday and they went above and beyond to make it truly memorable in every aspect from greeting....service...food...everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 60th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/6/2014Was looking forward to this acclaimed spot. The special menu wishing me birthday wishes was a nice touch. My appetizer Bag arrived with no broth and was quickly switched . My main, short rib and rice, arrived Luke warm. When the server enquired I told him the food was not hot. His response was "great". I could only assume he did not hear. As an after dinner treat I was brought cheesecake. Prior to dinner I told the server I did not eat cheese and when I reminded him he said oh well and walked away. Although the food was delicious the service left me wanting to forget what I had hoped would be a memorable meal.
- PerfectkpittsDined on 11/4/2014We celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary here, and our first nice dinner alone post-baby! We love coming here (just once a year due to cost). We ordered the butter tasting, surf and turf, shortribs, mashed potatoes, and shave ice dessert. Everything was perfectly cooked, presented, and timed. Our server was Aaron but other kind gentlemen served us and made sure we had plenty water, bread, and utensils. Our bill was reasonable and our experience was just wonderful! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every element excellentYumBuurpAhhDined on 11/2/2014Service, cocktails, appetizers, mains and dessert all were wonderful. Attentive, knowledgeable waitstaff made it easy to relax and enjoy. The food was creative and at times complex, but in the way that makes the pallet sing, never overly complicated. We left feeling well cared for, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alan wong's honoluluOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Heard about it and it was a must try foodie bucket list. Had the "tasting" menu - 5 courses. very nice and interesting compositions of items. Monchong fish was the highlight for me, although the sauce with abalone pieces lacked flavor. 'All in all - very well worth the visit. Will purchase the cookbook and try my hand at some of the dishesSpecial Features:
- DisappointedDinningispleasureVIPDined on 10/31/2014This is our second time dinning at Allan Wongs. The first time was three years ago. The waiter forgot three or four request that we had had her sparkly water removing distilled water for taking away menus taking away iPad and drink menu. The food was good but it missed the wow factor although we had some of their stable but iambs are six item tasting menu we found the only item that was different was the rendition of the Kona pig Cesar Salad. The lobster course which was cooked and clarified butter was a disappointment. The fish course was served dry lovely sauce.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food must tryklagloDined on 10/30/2014Food and service was excellent. First time with my wife all the way from Singapore. We really enjoyed the food and appreciate the great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LABLove2eatDined on 10/22/2014Great restaurant!!! Went here 10 years ago and was just as memorable then as it was this time in 2014!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsKenKraftNVDined on 10/22/2014This was our second visit to Alan Wong's. The first time we were there was two years ago, and we were apprehensive that it wasn't going to be as great as it was then. If it was possible, the meal was even better. First, along with the menus on iPads, my wife and I received printed menus, each wishing us a happy anniversary and signed by the entire staff. We started with the butter tasting. We never knew that butter could taste different! My wife had the panzanella and filet tasting. I had the classic tasting menu. Both were amazing. The servers will well versed in the dishes and explained them as they were served. We can't wait to come back on our next trip to Hawai'i!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, so so serviceIowafoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food was excellent with good well balanced wine list (although a little high priced, even for Hawaii). Service however was poor, extremely in attentive waiter, out water boy was more concerned about our experience than the waiter and they were not understaffed, other tables around us made the same comment.i have dined here in the past and did not have this experience so maybe our waiter thought we were tourists or whatever.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Our second visit and it was just amazing as the first! Instead of a tasting menu like last time, we ordered from the menu, we had the opihi shooter, poke pines, lobster "tofu", ginger crusted onaga, and opakapaka. Everything was perfectly cooked and delicious! Such great flavors. For dessert we had the pineapple shave ice which was mind blowing and the Lilikoi tart which was good. Service was exceptional. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and courteous. Even a server in training who brought the coffee was sweet! Always a highlight and we will be back again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & servicefwnh9429VIPDined on 10/17/2014Course menu they offered was more than what I had expected and pampered myself with goodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Food uninspired and pretty tasteless. Portions far too big and we only ordered appetisers! We couldn't wait to get back to Morimoto and the fresh flavours and excellent quality ingredients there. Very tired and old fashioned and selfless promotion of AW's book on the iPad on the table.
- Another excellent experiencertkawanoDined on 10/10/2014The only real negative was that our table wasn't ready during our scheduled time.Special Features:
- The Best Yet!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014My wife and I eat there every year, though this last night out at Alan's was the best yet. He and his staff really prepare the food to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing menu, great serviceAlexDined on 10/5/2014Our experience was in par with the great reputation of this restaurant. We had the set menu and all six menu items were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Night-outBingmeisterDined on 9/30/2014The restaurant has a nice easy but special atmosphere, and we dressed up a little bit more than usual. The overall service is really nice, and the bread and accompaniments were just delicious. We chose their specialty first courses which did not disappoint. The main course, though, did not measure up to our expectations, having chosen the lamb chops and short ribs. The portions are big leaving no room for desserts. Overall, it was a nice night-out for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014This is the 2nd time we have dined at Alan Wong's for our anniversary(s) and have not yet been disappointed. The quality of the food, service and the restaurant itself cannot be beat. The selection of the ala carte menu was diverse enough to satisfy all our palates and the fixed menu was perfect for my wife who absolutely loved the wine pairings. Our server, Tyler, was knowledgeable, personable and very professional in his tableside service also. Truly and top-notch restaurant and one that needs to be experienced. Quality, quality and more quality!!!!!Special Features:
- Spectacular Experience!EmmyDined on 9/28/2014Although I didn't plan much before flying to Honolulu for our honeymoon, I knew for sure that we would be dining at Alan Wong's restaurant. The photos of the food on Open Table were too good to not try in person! We shared the Ahi Sashimi and Avocado salsa stack to share and we loved the combination of flavors it had. I had the short ribs were phenomenal -- no need for a knife, and my husband had the steak, cooked to perfection. Our waiter Sean was knowledgable, friendly, and professional -- in fact everyone we came in contact made us feel so welcome. Thank you to the entire staff at Alan Wong's restaurant for making our honeymoon celebration one we will never forget! The service and quality of food found here is in a league of its own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining for occasionMusclekazDined on 9/28/2014Great Pacific Rim restaurant among a few. Innovative dishes which taste as good if not better as authentic style from corners of the rim. . Staff are friendly, vibrant and quick to attend. I recommend this great dining for an occasion to celebrate.Special Features:
- Always a great timekblincoDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I have been to Alan Wong's for the past 8 years for our anniversary and it hasn't let us down once. Every time, fantastic service, gourmet food that's just mouth watering and a wonderful atmosphere. Always a winner for the special occasions in life. Make it a point to go!Special Features:
- great local flavorsEarlysipperDined on 9/22/2014alan wong's presents a very good menu with robust local flavors. as noted by others the restaurant resides in an unassuming office building. glad we took taxi over or may have missed it. enjoyed the food and will come back again during our next visit to honolulu. the wait staff gave good effort but service not on par with the food. brings new meaning to a gem in the rough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A WinnerPaid2EatDined on 9/21/2014Alan Wong's is a a special place and I try to visit a few times a year. They know their stuff in all ways. The service staffers all know their stuff, well-versed and trained in an exemplary fashion. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014An amazing culinary experience. If you like pineapple, the Bully's martini is out of this world. Foie gras is a taste treat all in itself. Service was a bit slow, but the delicious food made up for it.Special Features:
- OverratedPhilerupDined on 9/17/2014Food was decent but service is horrible. Terrible, rude people working there.
- Best Hawaiian Regional RestaurantGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 9/14/2014We dined there for the first time on our recent vacation to Oahu. Simply put, Alan Wong's is a Honolulu treasure with incredibly good, creative food served by extremely knowledgable waiters. We particularly recommend the butterfish with foes gras and unagi, and the ginger-crusted onaga, a signature dish, apparently. We also like the casual vibe; the restaurant is not stuffy like its King St., foodie-magnet neighbor, Chef Mavro. We also like the fact that you don't have to order a tasting menu. The only demerit, if you will, is that the courses were slightly rushed. That said, we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Love it! Love it! Food is fabulous! Service is perfection! The staff really knows about and understands the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind experiencefoodie21Dined on 9/14/2014Excellent food, superb food, well informed wait staff. My suggestion is to go to an early dinner. We had a 5pm reservation since we had an 8 pm show to get to. It turned out to be perfect since we had ordered the chef's menu and it took us exactly 2 hours to get through our meal. We loved our entire experience and it was worth every single penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fine dining in HonolulumsprntDined on 9/8/2014we celebrated here while on our honeymoon and the service and food were the best we had in Honolulu. Unfortunately the full chef's menu was not available, so we settled for the 5-course dinner. Everything was great and the portions (for a 5-course meal) were very generous. It's a little bit away from Waikiki, but would definitely suggest this spot for a celebratory / fine dining meal in Honolulu!Special Features:
- juppeats5starjuppeatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Another return trip to Alan Wong's was a real treat. As always the food was the star, but on this visit the service was over the top as well. We both ordered the tasting menu, but not the accompanying wines that did not seem all that special for the extra cost. The courses on the tasting menu contain all the best dishes on the menu (in my estimation). Includes their wonderful tomato soup and grilled cheese/foie gras and pig sandwich. This is followed by the ahi and avocado stack, which I asked consist of avocado slices rather than the mash. Next came the snapper in an amazing sauce. Meat dish is their famous braised short rib. Dessert is coconut sorbet with chocolate shell to simulate a coconut, covered with beautiful fruit.Amazing!Special Features:
- Poor servicemauigirlVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have dined at Alan Wong's numerous times, always enjoying our evening. The food is very, very good. The ginger crusted onaga is excellent, and, dairy free. I also love the short rib. Fall apart meat, tender and flavorful. I have to mention that the service on our last visit was underwhelming and really not acceptable for a restaurant in this category. One of our meals was not hot and must have been sitting around for a while before being served. This put a big damper on our dinner as one of us had a meal to eat and the other was sent back to heat up. Our server was not attentive. We poured our own wine most of the night and had to flag him down most of the time.Special Features:
- NOT WORTH ITSDfunVIPDined on 9/6/2014We received terrible service. The food was ok. The bill was large compared to the poor service and ok food. I would go somewhere else for upscale Hawaiian.
- awful servicenicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was ingenious and delicious. But we arrived and was told the 9 course prex fixe was unavailable, so we had the 5 course prex fix. We had to wait 45 minutes after they took away each course. We asked about when it would arrive, and with each course they apologized, but yet again, the next course took 45 minutes. In between, they said they would check with the chef, but they did not return until the course arrived. Never going backSpecial Features:
- BEST OF EVERYTHINGluvetodineinamericaDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Alain Ducasse, Heston's Diner and many more michelin starred restaurant, Alan Wong ranks number 1 on my list. I had the lobster for starter, when I opened my lid the smell of the lobster was amazing. I never knew lobster could smell like that. I had the lobster pasta for main, again, cooked entirely differently and tasted different to the starter, it was unbelievably delicious!!!The chocolate cheesecake was second to none, it was light and not too sweet, unlike most chocolate cheesecake. If you're in Honolulu, you must go there for dinner, it's absolutely amazing! We were on our honeymoon and they signed the menu for us and let us keep it. It's currently framed and hung on my wall. The waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Heavenly CuisineEddiewouldgoDined on 9/1/2014Every morsel was a heavenly delight! Loved everything from the appetizer, salad, entree, desserts and wine. Allan Wong', definitely the right choice for a special occasion!Special Features: