5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (152)great for outdoor dining (109)fit for foodies (93)romantic (87)special occasion (80)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (40)good for groups (27)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Over priced for poor-mod qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I have visited Al Vento once or twice a year since you opened. I have enjoyed paying more when the food and service has been better than most restaurants. This visit was disappointing. I have to say that the prices go up and the quality does not increase, sad to say. I ordered the beet salad which tasted bad---with few beets. WAY overpriced for the measley portion. Most of items listed on the menu for the salad couldn't be even seen or tasted. The arugula was acidy and so strong, couldn't taste the beets. Do you ever do some tasting of your own salads? My chicken entree was good but, not excellent. Very small portion but, would've been fine if the salad wasn't so disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014We have dined here for years. The food and service is always great. As with many restaurants, noise is an issue. Sometimes it's hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alvento...must try if you have notFrenchyDined on 9/26/2014Bruchettas are fabulous...all of them. Salads fabulous...Entrees featuring a brand new seasonal fare fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backMyPicksDined on 9/23/2014Never a bad meal, always great service, handicapped accessible which is a great plus. We keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, neighborhood gemfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014This place is unique and a welcome break from all of the formula restaurants out there. We dined on the patio on a perfect September evening. The Pizza is fantastic, the caesar salad is the best I have ever had and the pistachio semi-freddo was the best dessert I have ever had and it didn't even have any chocolate in it. Our server, Geoff, was great and steered us to the best things on the menu. Can't wait to go back the next time we're in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- Delightful dinnerGynethDined on 9/21/2014Al Vento is one of my favorite neighborhood dining spots. On a recent visit, my husband and I enjoyed an entree of meltingly tender pork tenderloin encrusted in a pistachio coating, served with orzo and garnished with juniper and a balsamic/fig compote. Creative, delicious, Italian in South Minneapolis.Special Features:
- victuals4lifeDined on 9/21/2014Food was supremely superb. Server (Brian) was very attentive and helpful. A wonderful neighborhood gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great patioRarelyGoOutDined on 9/20/2014We sat on their enclosed patio while it rained. It was a great space! Our food was fantastic. Love the happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed fine diningJustlikehomeDined on 9/15/2014Very attentive service which allows for carefree dining. Courses timed well. Everything comes properly prepared and out of the oven hot. Just the way you would cook at home. Knowledgeable staff regarding wine..Special Features:
- Linger after each coursegr8tfoodDined on 9/13/2014I have never had such great service. It was impossible not to linger over each appetizer because they were so bountiful. Great wine selection with very knowledgable wait staff. On the expensive side, I would use the excuse to dine at Al Vento for every special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSunshineDined on 9/9/2014Had a nice dinner at Al Vento in their beautiful covered patio with large potted plants, nice service, pleasant atmosphere. The food was very good. A number of interesting menu choices. I will definitely go back. Co-worker recommended Al Vento for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going back to Al Vento...VegieMixDined on 9/9/2014I have been to Al Vento several times, and have always been pleased with the food and the ambience. The semi-enclosed outdoor patio they added last year is my favorite spot. The Tuesday Date Night menu, four courses for $20, is just the right amount of food and all of it delicious. Bottles of wine are half price until 6 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best patios!JamesDined on 9/7/2014This is always one of our favorite places, with great food, homemade pastas and friendly service. In nice weather, the wonderful patio is a big plus. I think it's the best moderately priced Italian restaurant in the Twin Cities! Its sister restaurants (Rinata and Sparks) are also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindyDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went there for dinner and sat outside in their beautiful patio. We have been here many times since we "discovered" it. Everything we have ever ordered has been delicious. This last time we order the bruschetta with corn and burratta cheese. Loved it. But the best was the fussili with pork shoulder ragu. I can't wait to go back and order again. One of our top favorite 5 restaurants in the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectjayneDined on 9/6/2014Everyone in our group of 4 loved their food. The only exception was the chicken added to my caprese salad. It had no flavor at all. That was the first disappointment I've had at Al Vento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative ItalianwbeemanVIPDined on 9/3/2014I am spoiled coming from Providence, RI where, in my opinion, the best Italian food in the nation is served. While in the Twin Cities, however, Al Vento comes close. It is certainly in the top tier in the Midwest. The kitchen works hard to produce interesting Italian food on a frequently changing menu. The enthusiasm of the staff makes dining here a pleasure. The menu is somewhat limited. There are few vegetarian options, though given the friendliness of the staff I am sure accommodations can be made. The homemade pasta is excellent and the changing bruschetta options are always fun. On the night we went the service was somewhat slow. But it was a Wednesday and night, and the restaurant was full. Perhaps they had not anticipated the crowd.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningSanfeb10VIPDined on 8/30/2014We met friends and sat outside--something one can't always do in Minnesota! We enjoyed all of the food although there should have been more goat cheese on the goat cheese bruschetta. All the entrees were very tasty. Two diners were new to Al Vento; both enjoyed their food and said they will return.Special Features:
- foodlover57Dined on 8/28/2014The bucatini is to die for. I love the patio. I think Al Vento has a very good selection of wine. I enjoy the cozy feel of the restaurant. It's one of my favoritesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Food and service was very good. Nice neighborhood restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice summer evening.KenwooddinerDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated my brother's birthday at Al Vento. It was perfect--good, home-made Italian pasta with a friendly, casual ambience. The service was very attentive and helpful. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeoffreyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Geoffrey was fantastic! He's a true pro, will come back because of him alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manhattan on 34thcriticalmassDined on 8/16/2014Let's put it this way..We got married here. Everyone was making yummy sounds during the dinner. The wait staff is most attentive. They also serve the most delicious bread ever created. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sundancesundanceDined on 8/16/2014The chef had a salt thing going Saturday night. My wife's pappardelle was too spicy to finish, and even the glaze on my rib eye was overly salty. However, the bruschetta was amazing, the wine list appropriate, and the ambience terrific. Our waiter, Lou, was friendly and helpful. This was the first time the food wasn't up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al VentoExperiencedDinersVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very disappointing dinner. For the main courses we ordered their trout dish and a pasta Amatriciana. The latter was described as having hot pepper flakes added, and the waiter volunteered that they could cut back on that ingredient. After quite a long wait, the pasta came with a lot of pepper, and the trout was badly overcooked. We were hungry and didn't want to wait another 40 minutes, so we did not send them back. These dishes are not difficult to prepare. Management should check the kitchen.
- Good food, but disappointedbeerdrinkerDined on 8/12/2014Received confirmation of reservation for patio. Arrived 20 minutes early, was told that patio dining could not be reserved and that we would have to wait at least an hour to sit on patio. Even when I explained I had received patio confirmation, it was not honored. Staff was polite and regretted the error, food and wine were very good despite the disappointment of eating inside on a beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it! You will be back!!DiscriminatingTasteDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food!! Great wine list. Amazing Specialty Cocktails! House infused Limoncello and Rhubarb Gin! Try the Italian Mojito. Refreshing, not too sweet, delicious! Great service, too! Only exceeded by the unique choices and never disappointing flavor of the food. We had our son's grooms dinner here and it was fantastic! Surpassed our expectations. Been coming here for years and have referred countless friends and family to check it out. They are loyal customers now, too! The short rib entree is melt in your mouth delicious. Also, try the spaghetti and meatballs. Ridiculously good!! Mother sauce that has cooked all day, homemade pasta, and veal meatballs. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great!pachv26Dined on 8/10/2014I am absolutely in love with Al Vento's bruch and so I always come back. The food is amazing and it's all you can eat buffet! I was skeptical about setting reservations through Open Table but everything worked out perfectly! Especially because brunch is always so busy. I couldn't have asked for better service through open table and Al Vento! I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Enjoyed Our DinnernorgebeardDined on 8/9/2014The dinner was tasty, they have a fantastic ambiance, and the service was really great. My one critique is that the entrees weren't quite worth what we paid.Special Features:
- great!chickendinnerDined on 8/9/2014Al Vento is a great place in a quiet neighborhood. It's like going downtown for a nice meal without going downtown!Special Features:
- YUM YUM YUMLovesgoodeatsDined on 8/2/2014We (party of 4) thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered and had no room for dessert. Great beer, wine and drink list. appetizers were awesome and we each ordered a different entrée, all were fantastic. Been to Al Vento many times and have never had anything but great food and service. I love the place. The patio is lovely too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumtastic!pokeykittyDined on 8/2/2014I really enjoy the consistently good food and pleasant service here. It can be a special occasion or just dinner out, but it is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food, value and outdoor seating. With many restaurant today it was so loud I had a hard time hearing my dining companion.Special Features:
- Something was off...HonestDinerDined on 8/2/2014Normally my husband and I enjoy our brunch experiences at Al Vento. This last Saturday something was wrong in the kitchen. The apricot cream crepes were salty. Some of the olives had gone musty. The Eggs Florentine were too poached in too much vinegar, the toast beneath was soggy and the sauce lacked the usual rich flavor. The buffet setup was very late. We were trying to have our wedding anniversary there. Rumor has it they are using a partial new kitchen staff. If this is true, beat them into shape quickly. We're only going to give Al Vento one more try. If the food is not back to what we're used to (which is food handled with care and presented with both flair and flavor) we're going to find another place to dine.
- JohnslandDined on 8/1/2014We have been coming to Al Vento for years. The food is consistently good and if you have the good fortune to have BEN as your waiter you will find service to be far above average!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I love Buca's, and I was looking for a place like it to try out. I was blown away by the environment, which was much more romantic than Buca's inside. There was a patio, but we decided not to eat out there. Yeah there were a couple things like a thin paper cover over the tablecloth, but you don't really notice that. The food was incredible. They change the menu every night, so I'm looking forward to heading back there to try out more food. A great deal for the price. Including tip, I spent $60 for two pasta dishes and two glasses of wine. Loved it, and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best ItalianMNFoodiesDined on 7/29/2014We have had Italian food in several states and Al Vento is by far our favorite. Their homemade foccaccia will make you break every carb rule that you might have. From their homemade pasta's to their perfectly grilled and braised meats, this is a wonderful place. Here's a tip: go on Tuesday nights for their amazing date night meals and experience exceptional service from Ricardo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio dining is so nice!LightrailfoodiesDined on 7/28/2014Delicious cheese assortment including a delightfully sinful pork belly. Enjoyed pasta and meatballs with a generous amount left over for next day lunch. Creme brûlée trio was good not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCarolynDined on 7/26/2014Love the spaghetti with mother sauce and meatballs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!!!!IGHDinerDined on 7/25/2014Dinner on the patio with friends. Food was great, never felt rushed. Also like the the Happy hour specials.Special Features:
- Delicious23specialDined on 7/23/2014We went here for a birthday dinner and found the wine list, and menu to be full of special treats. The 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.