Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse
202 W NC HWY 54, Suite 506
Durham, NC 27113Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aifujisteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 9199983988
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steakhouse, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer Tatami room, which are private rooms for couples/families or friends look for a private small dining experience. We also offer a private Hibachi room, for families looking for a place for a private large family/friend gathering dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Ai Fuji 9199983988
- Entertainment: Ai Fuji offers both regular dine-in options along with hibachi style dining where our chefs will cook in front of you, providing an entertaining environment for all. For couples or families, looking for a quieter option, we also offer Tatami rooms that offers both privacy and a feel of Japan.
A word from Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse
A fun and relaxing atmosphere, where you can enjoy the exquisite Japanese culture as well as dine on fine cuisine. Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse provides excellent service, teppanyaki style hibachi and is one place you just can't miss out on when you're in the mood for great food and fantastic people. Bring your family, friends and business partners out to Ai Fuji and enjoy great Japanese food, Sushi buy one get one free and authentic dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- fun birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We did table side hibachi with our granddaughter and she was amazed at our chef's showmanship. We were lucky to get this professional as he seemed the best of the table side chefs. Food was tasty and service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very darkBethzVIPDined on 7/31/2014Very dark - I wonder what they were trying to hide? The sushi was ok. The big room with the hibachi tables looked really fun. The prices were fair.Special Features:
- Nice TimepinZ1920Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed! Wait staff was amazing! My date really enjoyed a great meal which made me happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience, not not stunningjacnrhVIPDined on 6/21/2014The service was by far the best part, as my father and I were attended to regularly. We did not do hibachi, so sat in a main dining area. The building is decorated well and quite expansive; seems like it would be good for groups. The food was good, just not what I expected. I got chicken teriyaki and the chicken was boiled, which is not typical for teriyaki. I found it to be somewhat lacking in flavor because of this. My father got a soup and had the same remarks. It was good, but not great. A bit on the bland side. Portions were large though, and the hibachi tables seemed to be great for kids as well. Prices I think were a bit high, but not unreasonable at all.Special Features:
- Great food, great service.GlobalfoodieDined on 6/8/2014I decided to stop by and try out this place as I was in town and looking for some sushi options. The soft shell crab appetizer was to die for. The sea dragon roll and hot mama roll were two of the best sushi I had. And all their sushi is bogo which is great bang for my bucks. I also ended up taking a hibachi lunch to my husband which he absolutely loved. Overall excellent and I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse reviews archive.
- DisappointedtAbledDined on 5/25/2014Previously dinners have been wonderful. I would like to think this was just an off day. I was surprised by the quality if the seafood. The panko chicken and gyozas were good which made the other appetizers and 7 meals look and taste carelessly prepared.
- Ai Fuji ExperiencemarkDined on 5/15/2014Had a group of co-workers in from out of town. Very good environment, that encouraged group participation and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!dukemomDined on 5/11/2014We chose Ai Fuji for our daughter's college graduation dinner celebration. We had reservations for 18 & were seated promptly. The service was outstanding & the chefs were extremely skilled & entertaining. We ordered a good many of the hibachi choices & everyone loved their selections. A good time was had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious sushi!sushiloverDined on 4/18/2014I made a reservation for 6 and we were promptly seated in a booth that had a screened door for privacy; but if you wish to dine hibachi, you can sit on the other side of the restaurant. Sushi is 2 for 1 and it was certainly delicious. This was my first visit to this restaurant, as I have frequented another popular restaurant across the street; however one of my co-workers suggested this place and I'm glad she did - I've already been back!Special Features:
- pleasant surpriseneslo76Dined on 4/12/2014Our son was going to the Little Gym next door for the evening so we tried out Ai Fuji. I didn't have very high hopes for a strip mall Japanese place. However this was a solid restaurant. Food was very good, perhaps not spectacular. We didn't sit at the hibachi tables, but that always seems fun if you are in the mood for that. Definitely a great value- a lot food for the $. We would consider going again if we were in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great nightenjoydiningoutDined on 3/14/2014Went with the family for my birthday celebration, just the four of us. The boys had never been to a Japanese steakhouse and they had no idea of the chef coming out and cooking. They loved it!! And the chef was so entertaining!! We found the staff to be so helpful and caring, they really were attentive!! My eight year old can't wait to go back for his birthday!! The food was really fresh and delicious. We will definitely be going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGnaff9093Dined on 3/7/2014New place yes. Great Service...second to none. However, the food does need serious work. I had sashimi and it was cut way too thick. I also hit some frozen pieces; means it was not fresh! Several folks in my party did not like their sushi rolls. the Shrimp chips were addictive!Special Features:
- Hibachi chef very entertaining...frOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014Hibachi chef very entertaining...fried rice was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value, fun showcoffeecatDined on 2/18/2014The energetic hibachi chefs put on a great show. The food's basic, but tasty, and portions are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & good time...wasWillDined on 2/16/2014Excellent food & good time...was the best fried rice that I have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Great Hibachi, Even Better SushiPapPitDined on 2/15/2014Without question one of the best hibachi places I've been to. Food was excellent, and the chef was both entertaining and talented; food was cooked perfectly. But, go for the sushi. Had the spicy tuna roll and the shrimp tempura roll. Both were outstanding and extremely fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ha1pOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014One of only places I could book 7:30 reservation for Valentines Day. Read other reviews and thought it would be ok. And that's what it was...just ok. We were seated at a booth closest to the front of building. Not really a romantic spot. Right next to us were private rooms with sliding doors. Not sure how you reserve those spaces. Our waitress was super nice. food came out very quickly. Sushi rolls (2 for 1) were smaller than normal but good. We went with valentines special which seemed like a good deal. The rice that came with the dinners was what I would call "americanized". Place was loud due to the fun being had at the grills. Place is 30 minutes away so not worth a 2nd visit but if it were more local we might go again.Special Features:
- Good food and a good timeluvgoodfoodDined on 2/4/2014Ai Fuji is your typical Japanese style Habachi steakhouse. However, they also have great sushi that is buy one get one free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodBKSqDined on 2/1/2014We had a dinner box and ramen, and they were delicious! The wait staff were very polite and the food came out very quickly. Even though the hibachi tables were full of people, the noise level was nice and quiet. We were able to get seated in one of their huge private rooms next to the main dining area. Those rooms look really cool and are quite spacious! I thought it was kinda funny when I ordered a house salad, and the wait staff asked if I wanted Ranch or ginger dressing on it. Who gets Ranch dressing on a house salad at a Japanese restaurant? :PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were quiteKLewDined on 1/11/2014Food and service were quite good. The Unagi Nigiri was excellent.Special Features:
- Delightful experienceNewtoCHVIPDined on 1/1/2014Our 2 yo grand daughter, daughter-in-law, wife and I had dinner here and had a wonderful experience thanks to the fine food, the attentive and friendly wait staff and a comfortable atmosphere. We were seated quickly, greeted in a timely manner, and placed our order at a quick enough not to try the patience of a 2 year old. Adults ordered sushi and requested chicken for the grand kid; were treated with some shrimp chips that proved both delicious. Everything was top notch foodwise, and my sushi discriminating daughter-in-law said this was an excellent choice. We agreed. After our meal, the staff entertained our grand daughter and made us feel so very welcome and relaxed. Thank you for a most pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Rolls were beautifully constructed and balanced. Namesake roll was my favorite. Wife enjoyed her dinner Sushi special price was also a nice surprise.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in town.TheOpenTablePoetVIPDined on 12/7/2013Ai Fuji makes the best sushi in the area. Other sushi restaurants use too much rice, and the fish is not nearly as fresh as Ai Fuji.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMIkeyMikeDined on 12/1/2013We had a great time at Ai Fuji. We were celebrating our son's birthday and had a part of 15. The staff was very accomodating, friendly and helpful. The chefs were very entertaining (and were aware of how our 4 year old nieces could be afraid of the fire let us know what and when they were going to make the large flames so we could move the girls away from the tables. The food was very good, but it's the staff that makes Ai Fuji a very nice place to go.Special Features:
- Delicious, clean & friendly servicemsajfarDined on 11/29/2013This was our first visit on 11/29/13. We live far away so it will be some time before we go back but I didn't try the sushi and the sushi bar looked amazing! We had hibachi at the grill tables. I had filet & scallops, my husband had filet and chicken. Filet was delicious! Very tender. My husband liked the chicken (I didn't try it) and my scallops were just ok. They weren't bad, but they weren't great....just ok. The rice, veggies and appetizer shrimp were all perfect. They have this weird starter that is a shrimp puff disc...I don't really know what it is called or how to describe it but I didn't like it much. The salad was ok, the soup was great. Their sauces are divine. The service was excellent and the ambiance is very nice.Special Features:
- Outstanding HibachiBrentVIPDined on 11/16/2013We've visited most of the HIbachi restaurants in the area, and this is among the best while also being among the least expensive. The Hibachi chef "show" is typical and well done, the food was cooked perfectly and the huge portions were delicious. Ai Fuji is likely to become our favorite Japanese restaurant in the area.
- Fun hibachi experiencelgmahDined on 11/15/2013We took the kids here for dinner, and they enjoyed the entertainment of watching the hibachi being cooked in front of them. The cook was funny, and the food was quite good. Between the four of us, we tried the chicken, filet, shrimp, and scallops. We also had the salmon and avocado salad. Everything was tasty. The onion soup was good, and the ginger dressing was better than most we've had in the past. We agreed that we wished the vegetables had the same amount of mushrooms (more) as we usually get at similar restaurants. Overall, a fun place to go with the family, and/or to celebrate a special occasion with a group. I believe we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Birthday DinnerfamilydinnerDined on 9/20/2013My family of 7 went for a birthday dinner. We were treated to a wonderful evening in which all three generations in the family had a good time. The hibachi chef even got my nephews to say yes to vegetables - amazing! And the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Reasonably PricedFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2013I tell my friends about this off-the-beaten path restaurant in a strip center off highway 54. The prices are very reasonable, the food very good and the service is great, as well. We have been a few times and usually have sushi, although the folks at the Hibachi tables all appear to be enjoying their food and the hibachi chef performances, as well. Maybe next trip we will have the hibachi meal. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place, good foodlgmahDined on 8/27/2013Hibachi is yummy (chicken and scallops or shrimp), onion soup is yummy, less expensive than similar places in the area, and a better experience. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday DinnersashachellDined on 8/23/2013We had such a wonderful time at Ai Fuji Japanese Steakhouse! Great food and fun times.Special Features:
- Not bad for DurhamEastHNLFoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2013We took our son here for dinner before dropping him off at college. He loves sushi and from the reviews, we thought it would be a good choice. We thought for being in Durham where there isn't a large Japanese population, the food was decent. The sushi rolls are a great deal at 1/2 price. The quality is probably as good as can be expected in a location like Durham. It's hard to get the best fresh fish when you're not on the coasts or in a major metropolitan area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for family or date nightlgmahDined on 8/13/2013We've been to AI Fuji on several occasions, and the hibachi and sushi have both been consistently good. The chefs are entertaining, the kids have a good time, and it's also a nice place for date night, should you wish to sit in one of the booths, or one of the private rooms that each contains one table and a door. The prices are reasonable, and they have some really good drink specials, such as $5 martini night and good beer specials. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- It was great!!JeannieNzDined on 7/31/2013It was great experience, even though when I got there and asked for my reservation made with Opentables it wasn't in there book. Don't know what happpened there with the site communication with the restaurant. But the hostess was great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPER DUPER!!!jilleryDined on 7/22/2013My meetup group had an excellent dining experience here. The food was very good. The 'show' chef fun and the staff and care above average and higher.Special Features:
- Straightforward HibachiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2013Teppanyaki-style Hibachi (when they cook the food in front of you) is remarkably difficult to find in the Raleigh Durham area. This place got the job done. Ridiculously large portion sizes, though that is by no means a bad thing, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2013Took my husband for his birthday on a Thursday night and while the restaurant was not very busy, the host offered us the option of sitting at the hibachi table. We ended up with a private show and we didn't mind the lack of company. The cook was entertaining and funny and the food was absolutely delicious (not to mention abundant). We were served very quickly but we could have stayed longer. We'd love to go back next time with a group. Had a great time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Worth Trying!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2013I think this restaurant has been in its location for only about 7 months. It is on Hwy 54 across the road from Homestead Market. They have both sushi, either at a sushi bar or at your table (and they are BOGO) and 6 or more hibachi tables. The sushi was expertly prepared, beautifully presented and tasted great! Rolls were of large size and we could have done without our appetizers as we were stuffed when we left. Prices very reasonable, Saturday night all beer, bottle or draft, are half price. The restaurant is nicely set up, nicely decorated and the staff was SUPER. I would STRONGLY recommend this over the other large Japanese steakhouse in Durham and would encourage anyone to give it a try...I don't think you'll be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great new hibachi place in S DurhamDurhamiteDined on 6/10/2013This was our first visit. Took our small kids on a Tuesday evening and sat at a hibachi table. Not very busy, food was great, staff was responsive and helpful with kid requests. A few small misunderstandings when we ordered, but they were corrected before the food was served. Lots of food, needed take-away boxes. Very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The newest sushi/hibachi restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/26/2013The newest sushi/hibachi restaurant in Durham is a hit! Checked out Ai Fuji on a slow Sunday night, but the lack of customers didn't mean any sacrifice for a good show or good service. The restaurant is massive - with a large sushi and bar area, a number of regular tables and 10+ hibachi tables. The hibachi "show" was one of the better ones I've seen, the service was good and the food was good. Only complaint is that the chicken hibachi is coated in an additional sauce (other than soy, maybe like a hoisin sauce) that makes a little too greasy. Other than that they offer the same soup, salad starters and shrimp chips. Portions are huge (when are they not at a hibachi restaurant?!).I would recommend this to a friend.