Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
4 Hartford Road
Simsbury, CT 06089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.abigailsgrill.com/
- Phone: 860-264-1580
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Sean Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Abigail's room on the first floor is a private room available for parties up to 20 guests. Other semi private rooms are available for groups up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: Markus Lehofer 860-264-1580
A word from Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar
The original Pettibone’s Tavern, on Hartford Road in Simsbury, was built in 1780 for Jonathan Pettibone Jr., whose father, Jonathan Pettibone, had been killed in the fighting around New York in 1776. The Tavern served as a stagecoach stop on the Boston to Albany Turnpike and was also a meeting place where Capt. Elisha Phelps met with Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys to plan the capture of Fort Ticonderoga. The original tavern was burned to the ground by Indians in 1800, but was soon rebuilt and reopened in 1803. In more recent times, the tavern has been a restaurant. It was purchased by the Chart House chain in the 1970s, but under new ownership became known as Pettibone’s Tavern again. In January, the building was damaged after a fire activated the sprinkler system. Today, Abigail's has been completely restored and the restaurant has reopened under new ownership. Come and enjoy our extensive menu of creative continental cuisine and a welcoming New England atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Simsbury ›
Abigail's Grille & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (68)romantic (64)great for outdoor dining (62)good for groups (48)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (33)great for brunch (21)hot spot (17)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Great...very nice night out!!!!!!!!merussell37Dined on 10/25/2014Very nice everything was great....very romantic. Love the old style of the restaurant just beautiful inside ..........the food was prepared to our liking it was a very nice night out I will go back to Abigails again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014The food is great, the service good, but the noise level at dinner time is just too much. My husband and I have enjoyed lunch, which is much quieter. We were at dinner at 5:30 Sat night and the noise level was so high we could hardly hear each other. A shame because the food and service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ViolinladyDined on 10/24/2014Had a great romantic dinner here. Salad with Salmon was delicious, although the salmon could have been a better cut. Berkshire pork is amazing, prepared perfectly!Special Features:
- Abigail'sVitoDined on 10/23/2014Excellent location and decor. The food was great, as is the bar. I'll be back for a fourth time soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall really good, butKensingtonDinerDined on 10/22/2014The Abigail's menu suggests that it's really a steak house - lots of sauces and toppings that can be added to the meat. With that in mind, I was pretty disappointed in the NY strip that I got. It was cooked to my order, but just didn't have a lot of flavor to it. The small filet did not suffer from this problem. Rest of meal very good: generous well-crafted cocktail, excellent salads (especially the Caesar with anchovies), vegetable sides cooked just right and lots of flavor, and the Black Forest Cake was fabulous dessert. Too bad the only off note was a main entree. but I'd still recommend this place.Special Features:
- Apps issueBirthdaygirlDined on 10/20/2014We ordered apps at the bar and waited 1 hour. We advised the bar tender and were told that they were given to someone else. Ours came late, undercooked and they should have been free. On the converse, dinner was delicious , service was slow though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!ExigenteDined on 10/19/2014As always, food and service were impeccable. Portions were adequate; you did not leave the restaurant overstuffed. Quiet and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014we waited a long time to go to this restaurant and finally had an opportunity through OpenTable to go it was delicious and the atmosphere was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menuperennialgalDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant menu was an excellent value - a feature that we had not intended to take advantage of. But when we saw the menu, all four of us found choices that we would have ordered from the regular menu. Our selections were delicious and totally satisfying. The service was efficient without being obtrusive. Our seating was in a small room which lent itself to conversation, which we very much appreciated. I would recommend this restaurant to others without hesitation.Special Features:
- Abigail'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the food and service were very satisfying. The prices were high, particularly for the mediocre wine list.Special Features:
- No moreHammerDined on 10/18/2014Abigail's had become a miss. My last two visits have been poor. The food was expensive and unimpressive except for the french onion soup and chocolate mousse pie. Seating is hit or miss too. There are few quiet spots in the restaurant for a romantic dinner. This will be a happy hour spot but I will no longer go to dinner here. It is not worth the price.Special Features:
- Never disappointsmwyumDined on 10/10/2014I try to visit Abigail's every time I'm in town- I've never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Friday 5:30SandraDDined on 10/10/2014I have been here many times, food and service is usually really good. My first so so experience with Abigails. It was a Friday 5:30 not too many people and our waitress took too long between check ups, usually not the case when I dine there. This time I ventured and opted to try something new, their filet mignon and I will have to say I regret that decision. I love filets since they are always tender, not the case this time. I ordered it medium and I had to use some elbow grease when cutting into it. Thankfully I ordered my usual chopped salad that never disappoints me.Special Features:
- Would be five starts but....ctdineDined on 10/7/2014My wife and I had a great dinner. The food was outstanding as was the very friendly and professional staff. My only complaint is that the table they sat us at was very small and right against the wall. Literally. And both my wife and I had tables of about six people behind us so the chairs were quite tight. The servers bumped us several times as they were serving those two tables. We actually had to move our table so I could get up at the end of the meal. I understand we were a party of two and the restaurant was quite busy, but I think it would be a good idea for the staff to revisit the table configuration to see if situations like this can be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceChristopheDined on 10/7/2014This is a very nice restaurant, great dining rooms and very good food. Slighly disappointed with the desserts.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniverary at Abigail's. It was lovely. Food was great and the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "good" this timeGolfingjakeDined on 10/4/2014I have been to Abigail's several times and have enjoyed it. This time, I can't say it was the best. The table we were given was probably the noisiest in the place. We heard everyone! The service was great, the food was average but the noise was too much. We asked to be seated somewhere else and were told it would have been another 30- 45. But 5 minutes after we sat down I got up and a 4 top was being cleared. So my faith in the staff was lowered quite a bit. If people do go to this restaurant make sure NOT to get the corner table near the server station/kitchen!I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to parRobbyDined on 10/4/2014Upon arriving early for my reservation we had to wait for an additional 20 minuets in their small foyer with a dozen or so others waiting. This was for a 7:15 reservation so it was early enough to seat patrons on time. We finally got out table and it was in a very small room crammed with other tables very little ambiance. We were ignored by our waitress except when she hastily walked by to tell us they were out of tuna entre. After about 20 minuets another waiter Max saw us and asked if we were ready to order. We had not even been asked if we wanted a drink and we told him so. He immediately took our drink order and then told us their evening specials. The food arrived quickly we then had to wait for our waitress once again for our check .Special Features:
- DickDined on 10/2/2014very good restaurant in all aspects I reccommend it very highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantazluVIPDined on 10/1/2014Our first time at Abigals We were a party of 6 We had chicken fish and meat and everyone enjoyed their meal The food was well presented and tasty The atmosphere of the restaurant was atratictive and comfortable.We will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Nice placeBillbdlDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Abigail's many times in the past and have always enjoyed the experience. Our latest visit confirmed that things have not changed. The food was good, the portions were generous and the prices were in line with a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBeccaW88Dined on 9/27/2014I've been for brunch, dinner and special occasions and it never disappoints. Great steaks, and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious oysters and great steaks31yearshappyDined on 9/22/2014Four of us ordered fresh oysters and shrimp for appetizers and regular menu filet mignon for entries. Everyone was very happy with the food, cozy white table ambience and wonderful service and will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Magic experienceFoodieDined on 9/20/2014There has always been something special about Abigail's. The first time I ate there I had Mahi Mahi with a cashew sauce and I was hooked. The dishes offered are different, flavorful and an experience in themselves. I cannot put my finger on it but the atmosphere is magical. I have never had a bad dish. They have created a dining experience that is remembered. Recently my husband and I went there for our anniversary. the food was outstanding. For the appetizer I had short rib risotto and he had onion soup, they were exquisite. For the main course I had pork with roasted vegetables and he had shrimp and scollop puttanesca, they were beautiful dishes and so flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful service and foodEasterDined on 9/19/2014Our food was great and they were very accommodating for my Guest's alletgy. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing at BestNtuitive1Dined on 9/17/2014I don't get hype about this place. Perhaps it's because I'm a foodie and a seasoned diner and I know so many better places in the area in this price range (I live 5 mins. away). Or perhaps it's just because my 2nd experience here was a total letdown. I thought the food was better a couple of years ago when I came here on restaurant week. From the PMS hostess to the beyond dry risotto that looked and tasted like a dog's dinner to the bland, dry, gamey tasting pork dish with beets and sweet potato hash that had no flavor whatsoever, to the strudel that was nuked to molten lava on the inside, cold and doughy on the bottom, plus the snobby attitude, I'm done with this place. I don't get that vibe in much better restaurants and I'm no rube.
- ANNIVERSARY DINNERDineoutDined on 9/16/2014We enjoy Abigail's for its fine food but this time it was noisy. It was very busy so I guess that is to be expected.Special Features:
- DeliciousdanlDined on 9/14/2014Our party of six thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Everyone commented the next day how delicious their meal was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simsbury favoriteMarkBrooklynVIPDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful setting, great place to go with a group in Simsbury. Our favorite outdoor seating in the area. Good food, welcoming staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Always is a pleasure to dine at Abigail's. Have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- excellent choiceoutstandingVIPDined on 9/13/2014Was seeking a place to take my nephew and his girlfriend for lunch on a Saturday. This is the best spot I can think of in Simsbury for lunch. The food selections were excellent and we each loved what we had. The bread was yummy, the food was fresh and delicious, the service superb and the place is just as lovely for lunch as it is for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Overall the food was close to excellent. My husband had the NY Strip, the vegetables were steamed, with no seasoning at all. the room was loud. Other than that, the rest was excellent. I suggest not sitting in the loud room right off the bar.Special Features:
- Menu is complicatedCutterDined on 9/12/2014The menu has gotten complicated. One has to jump around and figure it out. (Top hats for steaks??) Our choices were tasty with the exception of the rib eye which was so chewy there was a pile of gristle on the plate. The coffee ice cream got rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Willing to try againAnniversaryDined on 9/12/2014We go back to when this place was the chart house. We went there when we were single. We chose Abigail's for our 33 anniversary. Loved the staff and the lay out of the restaurant. I ordered the tuna which I requested medium. It came very rare (red and cold in the middle). I eat it that way sometimes so I did not make a issue. My wife ordered the pasta vodka with chicken and sausage. The chicken tasted a bit old. I would be tempted to try them again. Maybe steak next time.Special Features:
- enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Our waitress Rachael, was great, very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience, made more so by her service! Would recommend Abigail's for delicious food, warm and inviting atmosphere and delightful waitstaff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKRonnyDined on 9/10/2014Tried out Abigails for the first with a living social coupon. My wife and I shared the iceberg wedge salad, which came out with a wilted wedge of lettuce and tasted like something a chain restaurant would produce. For entrees my wife had bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. The pork was overcooked and on the tough side, the roasted apples were raw. I had the Maine lobster pasta, also unremarkable, the lobster watery and stringy and the sauce was bland. We enjoy Republic and Market Grill, other restaurants owned by the group, but wont be hurrying back here. The only saving grace was the fact our meal was almost half price
- Don't trust their web specials.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Good food and service, but don't believe specials advertised on their web site. They discontinue them without notice. We complained via e-mail and they said "appreciate your feedback and I will make sure that our website reflects the correct information. Thank you," They didn't say they were sorry or offer to do a make good. They still haven’t fixed the problem on the web site.
- Great place for a birthday dinnerLovetennisDined on 9/6/2014The birthday lady was given a choice of any restaurant in the area and chose Abigail's. Arrived early and went upstairs to the bar for a drink before being seated. Old house and front stairs could be a challenge to some. Since rain was forecast, we decided to skip the patio for dinner. Started with crab cake and a spinach salad. As we were sharing, they split the them before serving. Nice portion crabcake and a great start to dinner. Lady order the pork tenderloin and I choose the scallops. Both meals were perfect and served in a beautiful presentation. No dessert. Waiter was very attentive. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Meg did a wonderful job..delicious and very nice experience:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial charmScotay72Dined on 9/6/2014The setting was perfect. An 18th century structure, converted into a modern bar and restaurant. The soup and salad selections were excellent, as we're the appetizer. The entree did not live up to our expectations. The lobster, on a bed of risotto, was disappointing. The food arrived cold and the reheated version turned out greasy and somewhat tasteless. Unfortunately, we will be unable to give this restaurant a second chance, as we were just passing through the state.Special Features: