Nearby points of interest
Nearby points of interest
About Three Restaurant & Bar
Open and inviting. Innovative and energetic. Playful surprises are found throughout the menu, as well as the restaurant itself. The menu has been designed to give you options, is perfect for sharing and you are encouraged to order however the mood strikes you, so don’t be shy about ordering more of… Well, anything. Salads and pastas created with greens and veggies from the rooftop garden should please locavores. While burger lovers will appreciate the balance of the house grind that blends brisket, short rib and sirloin. Between bites be sure to take a look at the beautiful, “Living Wall”. A wall of plants and herbs living and growing inside the restaurant itself. Take a peak at the “Peninsula Room”, an homage to the Hotel Benjamin Franklin located directly in front the exhibition kitchen.
The beverage program takes a backseat to none. Eight rotating craft beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and a first-class wine program.
San Mateo, CA 94401
Contemporary American, Californian
Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Lunch: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday 5:30-9:00
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm;
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Happy Hour M-F 4:00-6:00 for beverages, 5:00-6:00 for food
El Camino Real
$30 and under
AMEX, MasterCard, Visa
Adjacent Street Parking. 2 major lots within 1/2 block of restaurant.
Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Wine, Chef's Table, Corkage Fee, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Three Restaurant & Bar Ratings and Reviews
This place was absolutely delicious! Our table had the Salmon Bites, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Seafood Risotto and another seafood dish (can't remember the name). I can't wait to go back and try other things! What I loved most about Three is that their menu has something for everyone. Having a gluten sensitivity makes it difficult to eat out-especially well crafted dishes. Three had GF options and vegetarian options. Loved it!
This was my 2nd time at Three and unfortunately we were quite disappointed with our meal, mainly due to the service. We were seated at the back table by the kitchen and almost completely ignored by the staff. We were a table of (8) eating family style. The food runner would just plop the plates hurriedly on the table without any serving utensils. We then had to wait to "flag" down a server to get us spoons, not once, but every single time! We could never find out waiter and found it easier for us to get up and refill our own water than wait for a server. We are not expecting a ton of service, but when you spend $200 on a meal, you at least expect to get your water refilled. The food was fine, we enjoyed most of what we ate, the restaurant ambiance is also nice but the poor treatment really detracted from the meal and unfortunately we will not be returning.
My colleague and I went here looking for a possible spot for a team holiday dinner. Our experience was quite disappointing from the moment we got there--and we were the ONLY patrons in the restaurant and the owners/co-owners were even present during this time.
1) The downstairs bathroom seemed to have issues and the stench wafted into the bar area where we sat. We requested to be seated at a table, but were told we could not until 530. I requested they then close the door that leads into the restroom area because the smell was extremely unappetizing.
2) 5:37, after waiting since 5:00, the bartender asked if we would like to be seated at the table. Why YES! That's what we were waiting for, of which she was fully aware of so I don't understand why the host didn't come right over as soon as we could have been seated.
3) They have what looked to be 8 oz glasses so I had to keep asking for a refill. At one point, I asked the server 3x. A bus boy came by before the server came back so I just asked him if he could leave the bottle at the table.
3) We ordered the steamed clams and chicken wings. While clams were OK, the chicken wings were over-sauced; drenched even.
This was my 3rd time at Three since they changed their name from Astaria, but this was my most disappointing experience. We will not be choosing this restaurant for our team dinner.
We really enjoy coming here...most of the time. Service is frequently a little slow during peak periods, since it can get really busy. We're usually pretty forgiving. However, our service during our last visit leaved a lot to be desired. Not only was the wait time to be served extra long, our waitress barely checked on us to see if we wanted or needed anything else. She did manage to pour water a couple of times toward the end of our meal. At one time, after a bit of a wait, she did tell us, hurriedly, that our food would be right out. 10 minutes later we still hadn't been served. We complained and she went and got our food (an appetizer & side salad, and an omelette.) The food was tasty, but my husband's potatoes were not hot. Fortunately, his eggs were warm enough. Maybe they were a bit under-staffed. I don't know, but it was not an enjoyable dining experience this time.
The food here is excellent! It was super busy for a Tuesday night and our waiter was too busy and a little scattery - he didn't listen very well to our questions and he was a little slow checking on us but maybe because he was the only server in a big section. The manager, Alicia, was superb and helpful. The hostess was also fantastic. We had beet salad with salmon and porcini spaghetti and both were top notch. Great selection of craft beer and cool cocktails and desserts.
Really slow service. Ordering took 15 minutes after being seated (beverages and food all at once). Food arrived about 40 minutes later. My dining companion and I only ordered mains. This was for brunch. Food was fine, but not worth the wait. Perhaps a little oily. My eggs benedict was lukewarm at best, but the plate was fire hot. So I'm sure it sat there for a while before coming out to me.
I love this restaurant and as much as we are so spoiled here in the San Mateo county having such a large choice and of places where on can dine Three restaurant is and always remain on the top of my list. Each dish (a long list) that I have tried was superb the service was always good even in those very busy moments.
Alicia the owner/chef truly knows what she is doing. I will carry on recommending this restaurants to all my friends and clients.
One of these days I need to make a point to go and enjoy a Sunday brunch, I hear nothing but raves about it.
Thank you, we love having you in our community. Please keep those sweet potatoe chips coming. My only request is more Ales and a little less IPA's. 🌞🍻
I had the Skirt Steak salad and my customer ordered a Cheeseburger. On a day and meeting that I was presenting an award to my customer for their outstanding sales and support the meal could not have been better and the surroundings better for a nice lunch to celebrate with my customer.
We just tried Three for the first time this past Friday. We probably won't be back. Over, the place had potential, but failed to meet our expectations.
1. We arrived a few minutes early and checked in and offered to sit at bar. Host said that table was ready and we didn't have to wait...great!But...we sat at the table and waited and waited and waited...I made eye contact with hostess and she asked if we had been greeted.Upon her appraising the server of our existence(he was the guy running around crazy-like to all of the tables near us), our server greeted us and asked for our drinks.
2. We ordered drinks and continued to order food, but as I was still speaking the server ran off.I literally was ordering food mid-sentence and he walked off.I yelled(it's a super loud place) "excuse me" and he came back.
3. Drinks were great! I had the Wicky Cooler and it was delish, but not very big or enough alcohol for the price.
4. Apps were okay. (Brie/phyllo & spicy nuts) nothing to write home about.
5. The entrees were sub-par. My husband ordered the fried chicken. I had the corn pancake with bbq chicken. Husband took one bite of the chicken and said, "absolutely zero seasoning and looks like a chicken finger from a fast food restaurant or diner." Literally, zero flavor in his dish. Chicken and mashed potatoes were super bland and tasteless without seasoning. My bbq chicken was cold(maybe it was supposed to be that way?)
6. I didn't share our thoughts about the food for any other reason than to give feedback to the kitchen. The waiter took the $16 chicken off the bill.
7. Our bill was $69(after chicken removed)and honestly,I felt like it was a diner.It was not a sit down and enjoy a nice meal with your husband kind of place.
8. We really enjoy good food, service,and ambiance.This place doesn't do anything for us in terms of service or food.The decor is pretty cool tho.It's a bit loud,but that was probably because of all of the children.Every table around us had loud kiddies.
Took my two daughters here for breakfast (ages 8 & 13) on a Saturday and paid quite the premium for a very average meal. No French toast on the kids menu (although pancakes available) and no leniency to offer a swap, so full adult prices. Our server forgot our side order of sausage but removed it from our bill at the end, without prompting, which obviously was a nice gesture. My Greek omelette was dry and lacked the collective taste available from the inherent ingredients.
I just feel for these prices there's better breakfast/brunch options.
Dined at Three for a farewell lunch. The server was friendly and knowledgeable. She made suggestions that were really, really good. Everyone enjoyed both the ambiance and the food. We all said we would be back and look forward to trying some of the other dining options!!!!
My wife and I had an early dinner this past Saturday evening at Three. We were looking forward to it since all the positive reviews the restaurant received. We ordered the Brie Popper, Corn Soup, Chicken with Corn Risotto and Steak Sandwich. The overall experience was fair and food was very disappointing. The Brie Popper was very unbalanced. Too much Brie and not enough FILO dough so it ended up as a mouth full of warm Brie. Corn Soup was good but under seasoned. The chicken was "ok" (not much flavor) and the risotto used the corn soup and ended up on the soupy side. The Steak Sandwich was a poor at best. The steak itself was filled nicely but not seasoned at all. The chimmichurri dressing clashed with the mozzarella cheese and there was way too much baby greens which made the initial flavor bitter. The service was very friendly but our waiter could not explain the menu. I hope we our experience was just bad luck on our part and not the norm for Three.
Our initial reservation through open table was confirmed on my mobile device, but never made it to the restaurant. They still seated us right away.
Service was a little slow, and they lost our ticket and dinner was delayed when they had to take our order again. The staff was apologetic and humble about it.
The food and drinks were excellent.
How does a restaurant who was on my top 5 favorites move to my top blacklisted ones? Very RUDE customer service!! Went there for brunch with my friend who has a medical condition requiring constant hydration and some diet restriction. He ordered a Coke immediately when we're seated in spite of bringing his own beverage due to his hydration issue. He also requested if he can have his bacon freshly made. Before we know it, we have the manager telling us that we should not be bringing in our own beverage. First we don't see any sign that says that and if it's our intention to scrimp on beverage we would not have ordered a Coke once we got seated. Then she said by requesting the bacon freshly made we are implying they're not doing that. My! My! She accused us also of disrespecting her server by these actions. That TOTALLY ruined our mood for brunch!!!! What kind of restaurant treats their customers this way? HORRIBLE!!!! DEFINITELY never coming back!!!
Yummy sweet potato ships. Three burger was very juicy! French fries with a little spice was the best I've ever tried. The waiter was very nice, friendly and always made sure our water was filled, and if we were okay. The speciality drinks was on point and for the amount of money spent on drinks, the drinks were made really well & strong! We will definitely go back for our date nights!
Please sign in to record your input. Thanks!
Report this review as inappropriate?
If you believe this review should be removed from OpenTable, please let us know and someone will investigate.