The National Bar & Dining Rooms
Book your next event with us
The location is nice and the space is elegant. The food was a bit lack-luster. We both had salads for lunch and split a side of fries. The fries were the highlight.
Great location, service was excellent, nice menu choices but the noise level is through the roof.
Your food is excellent.
But our reservation wasn’t ready.
Told to go to the bar and wait.
Service was harried; waitstaff seemed overwhelmed.
My bill had a $60. Error and the waiter said I’m sorry. He obviously thought that we were tourists and wouldn’t check the bill.
Went to brunch for Mother’s Day. Service was exemplary. The food was so good. They gave the mother’s a goodie bag with the most wonderful chocolates. Everything was fantastic.
Nice for early breakfast. Good tea and coffee and service good but pastries were not fresh and seating was looking very tired (upholstery was badly worn/ripped in multiple places.)
Took 45 minutes for food to come and no table service.
Very slow service but very nice servers
I really like this restaurant, I think the food is great, good ambiance. This visit, our server was quite attentive at the outset, and when we took some time to be ready to order, he seemed to lose interest in our table -- and after that service was quite slow -- to place our order, for food to come out.
The food, while beautifully presented was very over priced and under seasoned. I was disappointed.
Great job guys!
Perfect every time and my favorite breakfast location in Midtown!
Waiter dod not know anything about menu ....Brought over a drink that wasn’t even the right drink and didn’t even notice it. Very loud and definitely won’t go back
Strong service and good food too. Pricey for what we got, but that’s Midtown Manhattan.
Overall food was delicious! Dessert service was a bit slow.
For a $65 p/person Easter Sunday brunch this wasn’t what my family and I were hoping for.
Many things weren’t to the std we know The National has. This is why is one of our fav places in the city but not this time unfortunately.
Some of the issues were:
- Waiters are not really ‘on it’. You have to always try to look for them and even when the place was merely probably half full, they seem to spend a lot of time around the cash vs looking after tables. This is the problem with fixed menus, waiters assume bringing the different courses is what is all about....only!
- Coffee was ‘watery’ or lose
- Our 9 year old daughter was with us and evidently she didn’t have the brunch menu. She had pancakes which were brought to our surprise until everyone had finished the 1st course - this is another example the waiter is not into it. Any good waiter should have guessed it is not ok or fair to have a kid watching everyone eat their 1st dish, until they can bring the 2nd. Common sense I think!
- Pancakes were plain, not fluffy or tasty and no berries or any fruit to go with it! Only some kind of cream that she actually didn’t even like. These were the most plain expensive pancakes on earth that day.
- 1st course was good - a plain ‘good’
- 2nd course was disappointing - I had the lobster eggs Benedict and taste was definitely not up there when you know eggs Benedict
- We ordered two sides of bacon, both were burned, dry and smushed together
- Dessert probably was the closing of a disappointing brunch- carrot cake was so bad that we ate a piece of one and we didn’t even take the rest home. The cherry cake was a bit better
- Btw, Juice is not even freshly squeezed!! In a restaurant like this, with a Chef reputation like the one you have?? A complete miss.
Very Slow service, except for the Sommelier that was very nice, nobody else gave us any attention. Food was ok but the terrible slow service is what we will remember from this place. Waiters were more interested in talk to each other than serve the tables. Also they constantly disappeared and ignored our calls.
Great for business breakfast. Try breakfast taco with chorizo. Staff is very friendly.
I've been here twice for business lunches. Noon - 2 pm is very crowded and VERY loud. Expensive but salads are reasonable. Conveniently located.
Love this place. Consistent, efficient and friendly service with great food.
It is a beautiful space and the ambiance is nice. The service was lacking as we waited for drink refills, ordering and delivery.
But very very noisy. Otherwise a good spot. Service is ok.
Leaned to a 4 because of previous good experiences. My steak tartare was good, but they put us in the back by the kitchen door. Meh!
Attentive service and nice atmosphere. The menu has a nice variety and ample seating
convenient location, food ok but nothing special....pleasant looking
Genuinely good food in a pleasant atmosphere. Met a gentleman from Toronto and a couple from Ireland which made the meal more memorable.
Love this place. Staff knowledgeable and very attentive. Sommelier very helpful. Food prepare to perfection. Will keep coming back.
Sublime service, great menu satisfying everyone in our party.
The food was amazing. I am a vegetarian and there were so many yummy options. Highly recommend.
They sat us at a table where the wine glasses were used and the silverware was dirty, so the experience was off putting. The waiter wasn’t that friendly and kept trying to up sell
Just going on feedback from clients who attended last Thursday 3/21 at 5.30pm. They only gave me a negative unfort, which was about the high noise level making it hard for them to hear each other. Apparently they were sat next to a large table of men and it was very raucous/loud.
I've given 4 stars for the rest though as they had no complaints, and I have been there before myself and had an enjoyable meal with good service.
Thanks for taking this into account!
“Always a great scene dining at the National!”
Always a fantastic and truly terrific experience! The cuisine is fantastic and the service is superb!!
My go-to restaurant in Midtown east. Everything is always wonderful. The 'ugly burger' was awesome and my companion said the pork chop was perfect. Great service, ambience, etc.
This is an Iron Chef (Great Iron Chef) owned restaurant with boring food.
Perhaps he should spend less time on the “kitchen” (can’t make a baked potato$$$) and more time in his restaurant.
Ate here twice in two days.
The Burger was good.
Perhaps expectations were high but we were simply disappointed with the quality, creativity and less than standard NYC cold, unfriendly, efficient service.
I’m not sure the waiter ever recognized he had customers.
Maintains the standard for “Don’t sleep in restaurants and don’t eat in Hotels”
The bar is fun and Soup is great.
Always consistent for business lunch scene and delivers on quality food/price etc.
The forgot about our order for over an hour. The waiter was nowhere to be found. The manager did Comp Some of the bill, which was great, but also very disappointed in the situation.
Great choices for Brunch made it more fun!
Food was good. Service was okay. Overall good and will go there again.
It was a Perfect meal for us!
Food was great but pricey.