Welcome to your monthly guide to the must-know food-world news in Los Angeles. Discover the latest industry trends, hottest restaurants to try, and more. Dine on.
There’s never been a better time to jump on the celebrity vegan restaurant bandwagon. Comedian Kevin Hart is the latest to put his weight behind one. Following a recent shift to a plant-based diet, Hart is debuting two locations of Hart House, alongside a food truck. The fast-casual spot will serve up vegan burgers, milkshakes, and sandwiches, among other items.
He joins fellow celebrities Jaden Smith, Danny Trejo, and Nick Cannon, all of whom have opened vegan restaurants in the past few years—as well as an established vegan scene in Los Angeles that includes restaurants such as Sestina and Sage Plant-Based Bistro & Brewery.
Here’s some other food news you don’t want to miss this month:
- Persian ice cream legend Mashti Malone is opening a third LA outpost, this time in Silver Lake.
- Farm-to-table maven Alice Waters’s LA restaurant, Lulu, is finally here.
- Thunderbolt, Death & Co., and Genever are among the hottest bars in North America right now, per the World’s 50 Best team.
- Hollywood’s Mother Tongue, located above a gym, is looking to do “wellness” food right.
And before you go, these are the LA restaurants to check out this month, all bookable on OpenTable:
- Whimsical tortas, tostadas, and more at Angry Egret Dinette. Book now
- Sip cocktails and learn about The Black Cat’s pivotal role in LGBTQ history. Book now
- Casual Middle Eastern food from LA’s hottest restaurateurs at Saffy’s. Book now
- Hard-to-find Korean-Jewish fare at Yangban Society. Book now
- Indian food meets Southeast Asian flavors at CaliChilli. Book now