564 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zuppa-sf.com/
- Phone: 4157775900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Manzare
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room upstairs can seat between 20-60 guests. Our community table can accomodate parties up to 18. The entire restaurant can be used for seated parties up to 140.
A word from Zuppa
"Zuppa, the newly opened restaurant by the Globe team on Fourth Street near Brannan, is an Italian fantasy come to life..." Featuring "...rustic, Southern Italian-inspired food" Michael Bauer Sunday, August 28, 2005Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zuppa reviews from OpenTable diners
- amazing roasted chickenFrench19Dined on 1/10/2014We were quite sad to hear that this was Zuppa's last weekend as they have been bought out by a restaurant group from Las Vegas. Our roasted chicken was out of the world as was the charcuterie platter. We are so sorry to see this neighborhood restaurant close. Very, verity nice kitchen and wait staff and we shall miss them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst dinner everFoodfinderDined on 1/3/2014Pasta was chewy and way over sauced. Bread was pre-sliced and some pieces were hard -- clearly not freshly cut. In fact nothing tasted fresh. Total waste of time and money.
- Terrible ServiceBrianGDined on 12/31/2013Went for new years eve. Paid for price fixe. The waitress took an hour to get first course to use, never checked in, first dishes were mediocre, though good main course. Nice concept and ambience but really, someone needs to train the wait staff. And if you are going to do an upgraded holiday experience, deliver value and service for the money.
- Always Good. This time a bombRobbaDined on 12/31/2013I have always felt the food and dining experience to be superb but New Years Eve was a complete exceptionm. For a price fixed menue of 4 courses for $50, when you strike out wirh all four being on a par with a healthy choice frozen entree, the value moves to feeling like one was ripped off and that includes seven in our party. whereas normally their signature dish roasted chicken is to die for, this evening it was one notch above airplane food. the portion size for the desert was about equal to trader joes. Shame on Zuppa for making 7 customers feel like you stuck your hand in our pockets and delivered less than half the goods. My embarrasent for making a reservation for 7 friends who had high expectations based on my previous experience.
- Good ItalianNWwwDined on 12/21/2013We had the mussels for appetizer and the chicken with vegetables for dinner. I love the chicken dish (my 3rd time). Wine was ok, the red from Montepulciano. My friends enjoyed their pasta. I'll come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, really bad serviceOCkcVIPDined on 12/14/2013We were there a few days ago with a large party of 10 people. The waitress was extremely unpleasant to the point of being rude, the restaurant FORGOT our order and left us waiting for over 40 min.! When the food arrived, the meat was undercooked. They never apologized or offered any compensation. The waitress continued to give us attitude. Overall, had a great night DESPITE the restaurant. Wouldn't recommend.
- unexpectedly goodChicagoJayneDined on 12/14/2013zuppa recommended by a friend with good taste in food. little underwhelmed when we walked in and by initial view of menu. very pleasantly pleased by quality of food. would definitely go back and would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceCgeheranDined on 12/11/2013The only way to sum up this experience is to simply say, does the owner even care if they shut down? The service was horrible , they need to replace the staff-- we live around the corner and will never be going back.
- fun eveningSFmeVIPDined on 12/11/2013A group dined here after a meeting at Moscone Center. It was an easy walk, and we all enjoyed our meals and wine selection. The pork meatballs, recommended by a local, were excellent. Great food, great service and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun at ZuppaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/6/2013This is a nice neighborhood spot. The food was good and the service even better. Try to get a table served by Tatiana. I will say the place is a little on the cold side so where a sweater. (Concrete walls). We went after attending a Cirque du Soleil performance. Even though it was a wet cold evening, we had a great time.Special Features:
- Loved the Food! - Great FindMaddogDined on 11/26/2013This was one of my best dining experiences in the past few years. I'm still telling my friends about my dinner at this place. The Chef, Lucas, did a wonderful job with all of our dishes. The Calamari Arugula Appetizer dish was great - what a nice pairing, calamari was tender, and the flavor of the Arugula complimented the calamari. We had the Ragu Di Campagna which was excellent - pasta was cooked perfect, nice meat sauce - very tasty. Love the Mussels in white wine sauce. We also had this pizza crust that was cooked in the wood burning oven that only had some olive oil and herbs on top. It was cut up and served with Ricotta cheese- Oh my gosh, what a appetizer dish!! I'm definitely coming back to this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/underwhelming serviceFood4ThuDined on 11/15/2013Met up with another couple for Friday (11/15) evening revelry...food was fresh, well prepared, rustic Italian. Service was ok with one server and would have been better if a larger party hadn't come in! We got left to ourselves, and couldn't get the waitress' attention to order more wine & dessert because she was bar tending, serving, taking orders, and serving as hostess all at once for the entire restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Spot for Worktime LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2013If you have a large group or meeting planned over lunch, Zuppa is an awesome find. Also great for an ad hoc post 5p happy hour. Their food is solid, not necc foodieworthy, but the awesome staff who go out of their way to accommodate. The only feedback I would give is for them to either limit their menu selections or do better at ingredient inventory because when we came they had no beets, steak or mushrooms. I couldve walked over to Safeway to pick some up had they asked. But all in all, highly recommended and I will continue to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- supercuteOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2013Lived in the city forever & had never been here. Really liked the low-key atmosphere & friendly service. Will definitely be back. :)Special Features:
- Quiet Lunch Minimal MenuguestDined on 8/21/2013Lunch for two was quiet as the restaurant was mostly empty. Pizza cooked well, vegetables dully plain, nice people, needs more excitement in the food. Dinner menu reads better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2013The chicken was good, although we make roasted chicken and it is just as good. Dinner was good. It was just something we could probably make at home. We still had a nice time. If I had the choice of going back or going somewhere new, I would go somewhere new.
- OK but not greatceg1VIPDined on 7/31/2013I had a large party there the other night (about 13 people), and the restaurant was full - one waitress for the whole room. She was nice and helpful, but it was a lot for her. Ordered a martini -no olives for the martini (thought that was weird in SF), only one type of gin (also weird in SF). Food was tasty, pastas homemade, but then at the end, cash register was broken and I was given a hand-printed receipt, not even an adding machine tape. I did not want to waste time getting out a calculator to see if the addition was correct, but just handed over my credit card. I have to say the next day, when the machine came back up, the waitress remembered to pdf a real receipt, but it was a little weird.
- Getting off the GroundAustinNewbiesVIPDined on 7/30/2013We had a good experience at Zuppa but the cobwebs are still being wiped away. We were there on an early week-night and there was on one table (at prime-time) filled so the place was empty. Wonderful decor with an Italian flair with SF Urban mixed in. It was so COLD in the resturaunt that the server had to warn us in advance that it was cold. . NOT Good. Turn on the heat please. Roasted Chicken for two was very well presented after our 45 minute wait and was added with extra large croutons; we'd never seen that before. We ended up taking most of it home as it is way too much food for two. The service was personable and once they get few more patrons and turn on the heat, we'll try it again.
- Customer Service IssuesMaxwellMDined on 6/13/2013The food is delicious, but the service is hands down BAD. The waitress messed up our order TWICE and never asked how she could improve our experience. This will be the last time I go to Zuppa as their customer service, hospitality and attention to detail is far than meets expectations.
- Very Good Food1ValleyVisitorDined on 6/7/2013Food was delicious, great atmosphere and service was good. However, it was a Friday night and they had no beer available (beer on menu and bar in restaurant).Special Features:
- No tableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2013We were running late for our 7:30 reservation and called and informed them we would arrive a couple of minutes late. Were informed this would not be a problem. We arrived at 7:40 to find no tables available. 35 minutes later with still no table available, we decided to leave to go to another restaurant down the street.
- Love this placefredarepVIPDined on 4/29/2013THey have really reliable Italian faves. Their chicken is the best!!! Pizzas & Flatbread are to die for!Special Features:
- Went with a large group ofJanetVIPDined on 4/25/2013Went with a large group of 11, so tried all the different pizza's. They were all excellent, including the one with the egg, that most people at first thought would be horrible. Everyone that tried it liked the crunchiness of the potato. We ate around 1pm so it was very quiet with only one other table of 3. Many of us will return soon.Special Features:
- The menu choices seemed muchPianoManVIPDined on 4/20/2013The menu choices seemed much smaller than the last time we went, maybe a yar ago. Service and friendliness of the staff was outstanding, but the waitress wasn't. Wish they had the short ribs I remember still on the menu. The wine list was limited to only 3 single glass requests and I ordered the Sangiovese but they didn't have any - that seemed strange - but I got a very large pour of the chianti after that - same price. Pizza Polpetti was spicy. Ragu pasta, told would be spicy, wasn't. Both were good, although my wife didn't like the meatballs on the pizza. Seemed like the same meatballs as the pasta, just spicier. She liked the Lemon Drop though. Desert apple, cherry crisp had one cherry. It wasn't that good - the desert, cherry was ok.
- Hanger steak and salmon wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2013Hanger steak and salmon were on very similar sets. Flavors were very bland and nothing to write home about. The wine list was limited and the server struggled to give information of the wine or food description. Energy in the restaurant felt heavy.
- Great place for dinner afterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Great place for dinner after a show. Food is outstanding!Special Features:
- Zuppa seems to be on its lastgourmetgalVIPDined on 4/13/2013Zuppa seems to be on its last legs. I don't know why since the food was very good. The hostess who seated us also took our order (seeming very unsure of herself) and made the drinks (definitely unsure of herself). They were almost out of one of the side dishes (we got the last order) and it was still on the early side. And when we left around 7:30, only two other tables were occupied. The pasta and pizza were tasty, but overall it was a rather uncomfortable experience.
- We love meeting people herefredarepVIPDined on 4/1/2013We love meeting people here because it's not too loud, the food is always inventive & fresh. We love the whole chicken & the flatbread.Special Features:
- Consistently good food, service,OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/16/2013Consistently good food, service, and prices. Love the arugula salad with strawberries!Special Features:
- One of the best pizzas I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/15/2013One of the best pizzas I have had in the City. The pasta ragu and rest of the meal were outstanding as well.
- The night we went it was quietfredarepVIPDined on 3/11/2013The night we went it was quiet but it made a great atmosphere for our guests. The food is incredible & done perfectly.We love everything about it!Special Features:
- Because of the location, andOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 2/8/2013Because of the location, and lack of... trying the restaurant looks kinda rundown, but the food is always good. Management just needs to do a little make over and this restaurant will be popular once again.
- Zuppa is always good... YouDaleTVIPDined on 2/1/2013Zuppa is always good... You know you're going to get good, fresh wholesome food when you go here. The garlic flat bread was so delicious! (first time having that). I'd definitely recommend Zuppa to friends. my only complaint is the 2 top tables are too close together.... I know tables in SF are usually close... but these are too close. We ate early so there was no one beside us.Special Features:
- As always, great food at Zuppa,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/28/2013As always, great food at Zuppa, and a wonderful happy hour menu. However, the cocktails were NOT good. When we have visited in the past, cocktails have always been adequately good - comparable to an average SF bar, but not as good as Absinthe or Bourbon & Branch, which is fine. But this time, we ordered Mojitos off the happy hour menu, and they were so bad we didn't want to order any other drinks. We figured if something as basic as a mojito was that bad, we didn't want to bother ordering anything else. Too bad, because I will definitely not go as often if I can't have a decent cocktail with dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodieVIPDined on 1/19/2013When we turned up, no one took any notice for 10 minutes despite having a reservation. Eventually a busboy said they only had one table available, by the door. Lovely. What's the point of making a reservation if no one even acknowledges you? There was a big function going on at the same time that took up most of the restaurant's tables and space. Not impressed. Those people were loud and obnoxious and seemed to monopolize all the wait staff. The food, when we finally managed to order, was good (except the pasta pesto) but they couldn't even make a mojito, despite having "a full bar". This was a birthday dinner, making the whole experience very disappointing. We will not be returning.
- Overall the dining experienceKikalaDined on 1/18/2013Overall the dining experience was good,however, the volume level of the piped in music (pop and rock) was a bit too loud. Our group of four could barely hear our own voices. We asked the waitress to turn down the volume. It was hardly toned down.Special Features:
- Love the wood burning pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2013Love the wood burning pizza oven and the slight smoke haze on a cold winter day.Special Features:
- Had the squid appetizer whichAnnaVIPDined on 1/11/2013Had the squid appetizer which had a nice lemon zest to it. The ragu was AMAZING! The pork was not fatty, the pasta was perfectly al dente and the sauce had just the right kick. I was less impressed with the steak entree though, as it did not seem to have the right texture, even though it was cooked to medium rare. I was torn between two red wines (by the glass) on the menu, asked the waitress and she graciously offered me generous samplings of each, for which I went with her recommended red. The table area is nice, but you do sit within 2-3 feet of the surrounding tables, so it's not as intimate as you may like...and I kept my jacket on the whole night, as there was a bit of a chill factor in the restaurant
- Food was good though not standout.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012Food was good though not standout. Arugula salad with sliced strawberries very tasty. Pesto pasta as well. Mushroom pizza had deliciously chewy crust, but very few mushrooms. Grilled salmon very flavorful, came with a roasted tomato and delicious veggies. Two things were a problem. 1) The servers repeatedly brought the next course while we were still eating the last one. Cramming the table full of plates. It made no sense. We asked them not to, but they kept doing it anyway. 2) The dining room got quite smoky inside. No separation between kitchen and dining room, and apparently poor ventilation as well.
- We had great and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/11/2012We had great and friendly service. The prices are reasonable and food is fresh and tasty. I would definitely come back and try this place again!Special Features: