1658 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zunicafe.com/
- Phone: 4155522522
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:45pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm Sunday Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:45pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Judy Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano
A word from Zuni Cafe
This James Beard Award winning restaurant with a clientele as diverse as San Francisco opened in 1979. A vibrant Parisian-style standing-only copper bar greets you as you enter on Rose Alley. Zuni's menu changes daily with dishes inspired by traditional Italian and French recipes. Nearly all of the produce, meat, and fish served at Zuni is farmed and harvested in a sustainable manner. Even without a reservation, bar tables are available on a first come, first served basis and the full menu is available. The bar also serves traditional cocktails made with top-shelf ingredients; refreshments at its best in an environment of effortless hospitality. Whether you dine early or prefer to dine after theater, Zuni is a welcoming haven. -Judy Rodgers, chef/co-owner -Gilbert Pilgram, co-ownerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zuni Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
424 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (301)neighborhood gem (187)special occasion (184)great for lunch (134)romantic (112)hot spot (97)notable wine list (95)vibrant bar scene (91)great for brunch (87)late-night find (50)good for groups (49)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (12)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014The best chicken in the world. Great hip atmosphere and professional service.
- luvhotfoodluvhotfoodDined on 9/13/2014Best roast chicken and Zuni is the best bistro in town...had been going there since her inception. The new greens in the roast chicken is so-so...still prefer the old greens which have large leaves and a bitter after taste. The Caesar salad is very good as well. The coffee gelato is to die for! I had two friends from Melbourne and they can't wait to return to Zuni again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fionacoronaDined on 9/13/2014Best chicken have ever tasted - the lunch we had on Saturday was a delight from start to finish..... service was excellent and our waiter was entertaining and very friendly - couldn't fault this at all. The atmosphere was great and the place was abuzz with people enjoying themselves whilst having great food - how it should be!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLFlynnDined on 9/12/2014I'm a big fan of this restaurant, but was disappointed with my last dining experience. The oysters were excellent, but the polenta, gnocchi and pork were sub-par.
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014My friend and I ate at Zuni before going to the Orpheum to see a show. We got in at six, and placed an order for the chicken right away. It came right at 7 and it was delicious! It was definitely worth the wait and we still got to our 8pm show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014dining experience was fab.,fab.,fab.,from start to finish. great food and wait staff; cant wait to go back. MarionSpecial Features:
- A pleasant experiencevcp8Dined on 9/9/2014The maze the restaurant is provides it with beautiful corners. The food is good, but not spectacular. Very well executed. If I had to describe the place with a word it will be warmth. I would come here every week if I could. the chicken with the bread salad is a must. Also the gnocchi.Special Features:
- consistent yumminessSouthernEaterDined on 9/9/2014I know, I know - one should "never order the chicken" because "you can get chicken anywhere." Well, I would challenge ANYONE to find a chicken dish tastier than zuni cafe’s roasted chicken + bread salad. How good is it? It is "make you wanna slap yo' momma" good!Special Features:
- Bloody Mary- nuff saidcwilsonVIPDined on 9/7/2014Go for the balsamic Bloody Mary and enjoy anything that strikes your fancy. The roasted chicken is worth the one hour wait.Special Features:
- Good as everBritabroad3Dined on 9/7/2014As Brits this was highly recommended 7 yrs ago and we loved it . Being back in town we revisited and it didn't disappoint ! The chicken dish is AMAZING !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousballerinaeatsDined on 9/5/2014Zuni's chicken for two is a must have. However, if you don't have an hour to wait, anything else you pick will be divine. Great friendly service. The only interesting this is the seating arrangements, but it adds to the dining experience. They do a fabulous job.Special Features:
- Pork chop disappointingkendulaneyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Good restaurant. Worth visiting once but probably won't be a repeat diner
- Gail's opinionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I enjoy the atmosphere at Zuni, lots of energy. I must say, this time, although our server was very good, the food service was very slow. We were seated and waited almost an hour for food, which is a bit too long at lunchtime.Special Features:
- What's Not to likeTaurusbullDined on 9/4/2014I've enjoyed Zuni's for years and can honestly say, I've never had a unsatisfactory experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NopelunchieDined on 9/3/2014Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope stupid when you have to fill in all fields. Very stupid indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantawsticAllyDined on 9/3/2014Always wonderful……. Love it and need to go more often…. food was perfect Staff went out of their way for us.Special Features:
- Creative menuSueSVIPDined on 9/3/2014Good for those who like a creative menu. Wonderful Expresso Granita dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looney not to Love ZuniWagyu2Dined on 9/2/2014Food is great. Service is spot on.Ambience is comfy with a sense of trendiness. Gota love the chicken, fries and balsamic Bloody Marys.Special Features:
- As Good As AlwaysAndrewVIPDined on 8/31/2014It's marvelous how well Zuni has withstood the test of time. Even the pricing makes you recall the good old days. Food quality is extraordinary. The presentation, while lacking nuevo pizzazz, magically dovetails with the culinary approach. The wine list has some incredible bargains. The service is exemplary. Plus, there are several spots where you can find a secluded and very romantic table. All of this after 35 years in the business. Something very few SF restaurants can claim. The only reason I did not give an overall 5 stars is because the space needs a bit of a touch-up. Though, in all fairness, it still works to give you a satisfying experience. It's pretty hard to go wrong with Zuni in any of the criteria one would rate a restaurant.Special Features:
- Sunday Night DinnerSTLfoodieDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the summer melon salad, Piccolo firtto, and roasted chicken. The chicken was amazing, but be prepared for plenty of food. The cocktails and wine list were also perfect and not to be missed. The only negative was we didn't have room for dessert.Special Features:
- Great alway - especially at lunchKennyDVIPDined on 8/31/2014I always enjoy brunch and lunch there and that is on almost a weekly basis. I do love the roast chicken - it is a classic and the stuffing that is with it always pleases.Special Features:
- okay experienceNJmoVIPDined on 8/30/2014the best thing we had was the Caesar salad which was fresh, light and delicious. We both ordered two small entrees. My fish was perfectly cooked and it was nicely complemented with the spinach. My husband's pasta was dry and had a burnt taste. It was also cold when it arrived to the table so he had to send it back to be warmed. Very disappointing. Also disappointed that because of our time constraints we could not have the roasted chicken for two, which is supposed to be one of the highlights. We also sat upstairs which had a different energy than downstairs.Special Features:
- ProsgalDined on 8/29/2014Dependable, excellent food, in a great space with wonderful service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Iconic Food ServiceGreathighwayDined on 8/28/2014Still one of the top restaurants in San Francisco. They have kept Ms. Rogers traditions without missing a beat. We eat there at least three to four times a year. What a cliché "the chicken is to die for". The Caesar Salad and Shoe Sting Fries are a meal in themselves. Don't forget the Bloody Mary and oysters. I need an excuse to return as soon as possible. Note on the south side of Market there is usually plenty of free parking after 6:00 so you can save yourself a valet charge. Just don't wake up the homeless folks sleeping on the sidewalk. They won't bother you.Special Features:
- you gotta have the chicken!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014This is the refrain I heard from everyone. Relatives who live in SF, people I met at a wedding a few days before our trip and just about anyone on the street. So many people knew the restaurant and of course had tried the CHICKEN. We ate the chicken and we were not disappointed. The bread salad that accompanies it is really a fabulous stuffing almost rivaling said bird. We also tried the duck and caesar salad - both excellent. A little prosecco and a meyer lemon dessert rounded out the wonderful lunch. The wait staff was lovely, helpful and amusing. So I pass on the advice: You gotta have the Chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to this restaurant?,jobimDined on 8/24/2014This used to be my very favorite spot in SF-- wonderful food- perfect ambiance- attentive service Not sure if this Sunday night - they were trying out a new " sous"-- but from the greasy and overly salted squash blossoms ( and no mint for the mojitos strange )to the mushy gnocchi followed by dried out squab .....it was not a celebratory meal to say the least. Luckily I ordered their shoestring potatoes-- only part of the meal that held up to their past standards ( did I have to get their Zuni chicken for 2 in order to get a proper " experience"?!) such a disappointment!
- Glad I Came Here.....Talltiff21Dined on 8/24/2014I love trying new places and this one was top notch. Although, I do wish I would have ordered the 1 hour chicken. I saw other tables nearby enjoying it and I could not help but start to drool a little bit. It looked amazing. Just for that....I'll have to make a 2nd trip. I know how fancy restaurants work, but their portions were definitely a little small with slightly elevated prices. I can't completely complain about that, but I just want to give fair warning for other customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingTrsnVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is the third time we have eaten lunch at Zuni and they never fail to impress us! The pizzas are always delicious as are their white shrimp. You really can't go wrong. Waitstaff is always friendly and fun. Definitely a go back to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deceptively simple, amazingly goodMaterialsgirlDined on 8/21/2014Zuni's been around so long that we in San Francisco almost take it for granted, but every time I eat here, I'm reminded of why it has endured: the food is solid, prepared with care and detail, the service is smart and efficient and the prices are actually reasonable. It's hard to ask for much more in a restaurant, so long live Zuni Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I left hungryUnionHotelDined on 8/21/2014Good food, it was interesting to watch the kitchen, but they served very stingy portions; I left hungry, $170 later for the two of us.Special Features:
- Zuni Cafe2kgougherVIPDined on 8/20/2014A wonderful experience every time we visit. Very consistent and a very predictable outcome. The chicken is a unique dish.Special Features:
- Good if edgy styleNeilRDined on 8/20/2014Zuni is apparently an SF fixture, but as a visitor from the UK I come to it fresh. My wife called it the 'warehouse meal' when we were recalling the meals we had enjoyed on our vacation on the West Coast. Generally, though, it was a good experience. I had a tiny (if interesting) starter of thin slices of parmesan and anchovies, and we all had competent main courses. The wine was excellent (I had red by the glass), and my children then claim that I got drunk on a delicious tequila-laced granita. Probably not the best for a romantic meal (too noisy; too pared-down décor), but definitely good for an evening out with friends. Dress down.Special Features:
- Still a GemMOSFDined on 8/20/2014Hadn't been there for quite some time. Better than I remember. Has really maintained quality. Food was outstanding. Service was impeccable. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch before Orpheum MatineeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014We had a great lunch! Reservation suggested. We were taken in on time. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. We walked to theater parts of neighborhood are a little sketchy. A taste of cities of today! Atmosphere right around Zuni clean and comfortable. Happy to have chosen Zuni for a day in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedMT2014Dined on 8/19/2014We booked Zuni as it was highly raccomended by a friend. It was the most expensive meal we had during our holiday and the most disappointing. Food was really poor, un interesting and tasteless. Not what we expected at all. Bill came to 220 $ per 2 , def not worth it at all.
- A ClassicAjwsfVIPDined on 8/19/2014Fantastic for lunch...sun streaming through the windows, and a menu that includes classics like the wood fired oven roasted chicken for 2 with delicious bread salad. End with the gateau victoire or espresso granita, and walk back into the world on a cloud of happiness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLNTwoDined on 8/17/2014We are from Australia and have had dinner here twice now. The meal was lovely. Seriously considering buying the cookbook when back home. The bread is from Acme and yummy. The appetizer of tomatoes (locally source I believed) were delicious!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingErock75VIPDined on 8/16/2014The pasta came out under cooked but we let it slide. Then the salmon came out raw and we had to send it back. Overall, we found the food underwhelming especially compared to the other restaurants we ate at that week.
- Delicious!swmonaDined on 8/16/2014Delicious food; we LOVED the roasted chicken for two and there were three of us and four could have shared it (we did have starters: anchovies and caesar salad both excellent). Great service. Did I mention that we LOVED the chicken?!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulPittVisitorVIPDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated my birthday, as always a treat. Wonderful service, great food and easy to hear.Special Features: