1658 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zunicafe.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-2522
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:45pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm Sunday Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:45pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Judy Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano
A word from Zuni Cafe
This James Beard Award winning restaurant with a clientele as diverse as San Francisco opened in 1979. A vibrant Parisian-style standing-only copper bar greets you as you enter on Rose Alley. Zuni's menu changes daily with dishes inspired by traditional Italian and French recipes. Nearly all of the produce, meat, and fish served at Zuni is farmed and harvested in a sustainable manner. Even without a reservation, bar tables are available on a first come, first served basis and the full menu is available. The bar also serves traditional cocktails made with top-shelf ingredients; refreshments at its best in an environment of effortless hospitality. Whether you dine early or prefer to dine after theater, Zuni is a welcoming haven. -Judy Rodgers, chef/co-owner -Gilbert Pilgram, co-ownerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zuni Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
419 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (314)neighborhood gem (198)special occasion (191)great for lunch (123)hot spot (109)romantic (106)vibrant bar scene (94)notable wine list (94)great for brunch (78)good for groups (60)late-night find (56)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (12)Show More
- Amazing Dinner - Beyond ExpectationsWhydine777Dined on 11/18/2014There was nothing my palette did not enjoy!!! We ordered the signature dishes and was not disappointed. It was the best chicken I have ever had- exquisite presentation wither soaked bread with pine nuts and dried berry and greens. It was almost to beautiful to eat. We gazed at first and inhaled the succulent aroma. The Cesar salad- the best with the homemade croutons - and the dressing just spot on. We had polenta with cheese and just prepared with care and very comforting. The chocolate flourless cake melted in ones mouth ...light and smooth texture - just pure heaven. The service attentive, kind and genuine. As someone once said.....you can sense the love and care taken. Both my son and I agree...we will visit soon again. A memorable evening with a fantastic dinner. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ceaser salad and meal followingWeirdHaroldDined on 11/16/2014We visited Zuni a couple of years back on a day when San Francisco was having one of it's parades and it was a zoo. I was willing to give it a second chance and it was well worth the visit. Next time we are going to have the roasted chicken for which the restaurant has made it's reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a refreshJeff7VIPDined on 11/15/2014I know it's been around forever, and the roast chicken is still incredible, but the restaurant is tired. The average age of the patrons must be 90 and it has the feel of a retirement community's night out. Also, where service had been perfect, this night it was really spotty. The waiter didn't seem to care about much, although the rest of the staff was good. Zuni was always my place that would never fail me, but I'm not real eager to return.Special Features:
- A Sense of San Francisco1HappyDinerDined on 11/14/2014The ambiance of Zuni Café gives an air of sophistication yet informality/fun. I'd definitely recommend it for locals and tourists alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long wait for chickenrshorensVIPDined on 11/14/2014I reserved at Zuni before the opera because I wanted the famous roast chicken. I called and offered to pay in advance if they would start the chicken before I arrived. They wouldn't let me order until I was seated and I couldn't wait the 1 hour they said the chicken would take to cook. Very disappointed! I make Chef Rodgers' recipe at home, and it takes 45 minutes in a hot oven. Maybe they should keep few extra chickens cooking to accomodate customers???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and great foodVioletDined on 11/12/2014Our waiter Anthony provided us with the best service we have had in a very long time. He was attentive and really nice. Great roast chicken too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the chickenJloplanryVIPDined on 11/11/2014It's all about the chicken because waiting an hour for it was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickenDinnerDined on 11/9/2014Chicken and bread were outstanding as was the service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Zuni'sKMfoodiedocVIPDined on 11/8/2014I've been to Zuni's many times before and loved it, but this time it was very disappointing. My entree was cold and rather flavorless. I guess Ahi tuna is not their thing. I'll stick with the chicken next time. I'm sure I wont be disappointed with that dish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotDinerFamilyof4VIPDined on 11/8/2014Fabulous restaurant. Last time I was here was 15 years ago and the experience was as good as the memory.Special Features:
- Predictably awesome!GreatC00kDined on 11/8/2014We arrived early because we wanted to make sure we could make it in time for the symphony. They seated us in the bar until our table was ready and our waiter kindly ordered their signature chicken for us ahead of time (it requires one hour). We had a delicious persimmon, sunchoke, arugala appetizer and chose wine from an extensive list and sat in a cozy corner. Our waiter was superb. Relaxed but ON IT. Loved the high ceiling and tall windows in the bar area. We then moved to our dining area which was one of many cozy places upstairs which is impeccably, elegantly, and simply decorated. But we also could view the olive wood burning oven and chefs below!Special Features:
- YUM//////1OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2014The roasted chicken for 2 was sensational. The scene on the street was worth the admission alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zuni still ...Open2eatVIPDined on 11/5/2014I had a lunch at Zuni cafe and the food was excellent albeit small in portion.. I had mini lamb chop for lunch, but it was the size of my imiddle finger.. It was delicious.. The chianti was delicious.Special Features:
- First Impressions are ImportantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014I want to preface this by saying that I love Zuni, and I've been there many times. I decided to book a rezo for my sister who was coming into town to visit - she had never been. The four of us talked for awhile and got her all prepped for the food. Our waiter showed up and was a mess. In the middle of asking us what we wanted, he was staring at other tables. We had to correct him several times as he recited our orders wrong. Then he disappeared for what seemed like hours. When the order came, it was still wrong. I didn't want to wait for another hour so I just ate the wrong order. Dear Zuni, you need to hold this waiter accountable for the destroyed first experience my sister had. As we know, first impressions are the most important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014I used to go to Zuni cafe all the time when I was living in SF 5 years ago. I went back there last sunday for brunch with my family and we had a really bad experience. service was below average food took forever to get to the table and it wasn't good the famous chicken was undercooked and it took 2 hours to arrive at the table. I hope to you improve your operations since I'd love to be able to go back to Zuni next time I return to SF.
- AmazingyouknowmeDined on 11/2/2014That's all that need be said. I will add however, the BEST service I've ever experienced EVER!Special Features:
- Too popular for own goodEastBayAdventurerDined on 11/2/2014Zuni Cafe on weekends is packed due to fantastic food, excellent location, and well-earned reputation. Unfortunately, this success has not been coupled with greater staffing levels. Our oysters were never served, waiter took order, but only service was bus boy refilling water.Special Features:
- Great place to eattomsDined on 11/1/2014A little on the pricier side. However, service and food were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014One of the pioneering restaurants in the locally grown, California cuisine movement is still performing at a world class level. Everything is of the highest quality and served expertly. it's incredible that they have managed to do this consistently for so many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeppermentVIPDined on 10/29/2014Zuni is an establishment in SF: however in the last few years the prices have gone way up & the portions way down. There is creativity coming from the kitchen however I was disappointed in the bland and conventional halibut dish I had: the portion was extremely small (about 4 oz).
- FootLooseVIPDined on 10/29/2014Roast chicken is worth the hour's wait. Just content yourself with shoestring potatoes and a Caesar salad. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Unlucky ExperienceTorquayFoodLoverDined on 10/28/2014Had been looking forward to Zuni and had booked a month in advance to enjoy our last night in SF, but disappointed. The food was pretty good, the wine list excellent, but let down by being stuck at a table in an upstairs corridor, with a server who, unusually for the US, was just not interested. We missed out on the ambience and felt ignored; it spoilt what was potentially an excellent evening. Oysters ridiculously small, but highly recommend the home cured anchovies, parmigiano and celery as a light starter; the roasted quail was very good and the Zuni Pinot Noir excellent value. Good cheeses and dessert wine choice. To be fair I think we were unlucky, and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rotisserie Chicken is amazing!SkippingSconesDined on 10/28/2014Get the chicken - it takes an hour to cook so get other items to eat while you wait. The chicken definitely feeds 3 people probably 4 or 5 if you get some apps beforehand. The bread salad that comes with the chicken is equally amazing. The wine list is wonderful, lots of choices and reasonably priced bottles. If you are visiting SF it's definitely worth a trip for dinner. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent superb cuisineSwumdDined on 10/26/2014I make my usual trek to Zuni whenever I am in San Francisco, it never disappoints. I always ask for a seat near the kitchen where I can watch " the action" the preparations are extraordinarily consistent and always superb. The choices are limited but each are prepared individually and with care. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasure!SFinsiderDined on 10/26/2014Returned to Zuni after a bit of a hiatus and we had a perfect lunch experience on all fronts: delicious, interesting, tasty food; great fun and informed service; fantastic "only-in-SF" ambience - not stuffy, just fantastically consistent. To top it all off, the server proposed a bottle of champagne (it was a special occasion) that was unpredictably delicious. It just made for a perfect afternoon. We ended up sharing the bottle with the adjacent table.Special Features:
- Amazing!FoodieDined on 10/25/2014The chicken for 2 was incredible. I would recommend that to anyone. The atmosphere was lovely and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and overratedfoodloverVIPDined on 10/25/2014We went for brunch, so that we could sit outside. Outside eating with a dog was its only virtue. We had the hockey puck-like hamburgers, tough, dry and overcooked and very, very small. The bun had nice flavoring. The shoestring potatoes were cold and tasteless. To charge $16 for this hamburger is an outrage. I hope I never have to darken their door again, but I have never been a fan. Other than Alex, our waiter, the staff is icy cold and on the edge of rude. Wouldn't make that extra effort.
- Classic SF restaurant!ProsgalDined on 10/24/2014Zuni Cafe never fails to please. The staff is always friendly and accommodating and the food is always predictable and delicious. I love it at Zuni Cafe!Special Features:
- The most special of occasionsK2foodieDined on 10/23/2014We enjoyed a leisurely birthday meal with our daughters. The food and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Francisco ClassicTTSFVIPDined on 10/23/2014Zuni - as always - is a San Francisco classic. This visit on particular was to show some relatives from Seattle a "quintessential San Francisco restaurant" (their request). Where else to go but Zuni and the famous roast chicken? We ordered all the appetizers - the bresaola was a standout, and the fideus were outstanding. Of course, order the chicken when you sit down - even if it's just for the table and you get other entrees. It's an absolute masterpiece. Desserts were also wonderful - we shared a couple cheese plates and the persimmon pudding. Truly delicious. We'll be back, of course!Special Features:
- San Francisco ClassicDrFoodsnobDined on 10/22/2014On my latest trip to San Francisco finally made it to this restaurant which has been around forever which for unknown reasons I had never been to. They may have been around forever but they are definitely still at the top of their game. The oven roasted chicken for 2 was the best chicken I have ever had. The cocktails are very creative and super tasty. The service was fantastic. Overall a great time!!Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantChambolleMusignyDined on 10/21/2014This is a classic San Francisco gem. Zuni Café is an institution, other restaurants in San Francisco would not be at the high quality they are if it were not for Zuni. Always amazing, always over-delivers.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant everGoGiantsDined on 10/19/2014Zuni has consistently GREAT food! It's my absolute favorite restaurant in the city! I've gone here on special occasions or just to meet up with friends. It's the ultimate SF restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Fantastic meal at Zuni! We came for the chicken and it did not disappoint!Special Features:
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2014chicken for 2 excellent but the salmon was disappointing---very small portion the caesar salad was ok but not great have had betterSpecial Features:
- rediscovering ZunirshorensVIPDined on 10/19/2014We hadn't been back to Zuni Café for many years(I don't know why) but stopped in for lunch before an opera matinee. We had delicious brunch items- I had fried egg with rabbit and avocado salad, while my husband had a smoked trout omelette. We also had the Piccola meringata dessert. The food was delicious, attractive, and served very quickly when we told our server we had to be at the opera in 40 minutes! We will come back for the famous chicken when we have more time; I want to see how mine compares with the original!Special Features:
- Years of Zuni CafeknowingfoodDined on 10/19/2014I came to Zuni Cafe when it opened many years ago and it was a very small space next to a cactus store. It has always been my Favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and DelightfulMuncherDined on 10/19/2014Unique and fantastic Italian tastes. But the tables we a little oddly situated, but I gues that is pretty normal in SF.Special Features:
- Great BrunchFoodieSteveDined on 10/19/2014What a great place! The house made scones and pizza's were great. All the things we tried, from the house sausage, French toast, pizza, and more were great. Zuni is a can't miss if in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great But...hopelessromanticDined on 10/18/2014Well, everything is great except that they have no wi-fi! I wasn't able to skype my girlfriend on her birthday because of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.