1658 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zunicafe.com/
- Phone: 4155522522
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:45pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm Sunday Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:45pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Judy Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano
A word from Zuni Cafe
This James Beard Award winning restaurant with a clientele as diverse as San Francisco opened in 1979. A vibrant Parisian-style standing-only copper bar greets you as you enter on Rose Alley. Zuni's menu changes daily with dishes inspired by traditional Italian and French recipes. Nearly all of the produce, meat, and fish served at Zuni is farmed and harvested in a sustainable manner. Even without a reservation, bar tables are available on a first come, first served basis and the full menu is available. The bar also serves traditional cocktails made with top-shelf ingredients; refreshments at its best in an environment of effortless hospitality. Whether you dine early or prefer to dine after theater, Zuni is a welcoming haven. -Judy Rodgers, chef/co-owner -Gilbert Pilgram, co-ownerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zuni Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
406 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (297)neighborhood gem (182)special occasion (174)great for lunch (124)romantic (100)hot spot (99)vibrant bar scene (93)notable wine list (88)great for brunch (80)late-night find (52)good for groups (48)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (9)Show More
- Love ZuniNewbieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Never disappointed with food although very crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Went here for anniversary to eat famous chicken. Waitress was okay, but other staff was rude (one guy took my plate before I was done without asking). The arugula salad was drenched with dressing. Noise level was way too high. The chicken was good, but I've had better for less. Would not eat here again.Special Features:
- a gem since 1979...LOVED itKAMareeVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have eaten here 3 times, once in 1986, once in 1998 or 1999, and this week. Always excellent, innovative, seasonal, and great attention to detail. Very attentive staff. I eat gluten-free and almost the whole menu was doable for us. Except that the salad dressing was way too strong (both the mustard dressing and the Caesar, which we figured was to hold up to alcohol better) Zuni is a foodie dream. Since the menu changes frequently I won't bother going into specific dish details but we were both very happy. If you drink, this is YOUR place to be (I don't but kind of wish I did). Bar is SRO (no stools) and a few tables. There were I think 3 alcohol menus!Special Features:
- Great!!PattyDined on 10/16/2014We are huge Zuni fans and have enjoyed going there for years!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But Dessert DisappointingSFCAVIPDined on 10/16/2014It had been a long time since I ate at Zuni Cafe so I was surprised that the large size of the pizza. It was good with wagon wheel cheese and bitter greens (too bitter for my taste). The gateau was a plain chocolate cake with a dollop of whipped cream. At $8.75 for something so simple and uninspiring it is very expensive. It reminded me of something out of a cake mix box.Special Features:
- A perfect birthday...IndustryinsiderDined on 10/15/2014We were very pleased with our first experience at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken to die foradorevoyagerDined on 10/15/2014I can now understand all the rave reviews I had read regarding the roasted chicken that is the signature dish at the Zuni Café. It was perfect: flavorful, moist and with crispy skin. The best I've had, bar none. I will definitely return. The Tuscan bread salad served with the chicken was excellent as well. The interior of the restaurant was filled with light and very comfortable. The service was on a par with the quality of the food. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Excellent food...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014and superb service. I was most impressed -- the roast chicken was divine. The service staff were top notch. Really loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing dinnerDTMVVIPDined on 10/11/2014Zuni has been one of our longtime favorite restaurants anywhere. Our recent dinner showed problems in both the bar and the kitchen. We sent a drink back twice before it was acceptable, still not great but drinkable. The beloved Caesar salad and chicken were not up to their usual standards. And the espresso granita tasted like it was made without sugar. I hope this was a one time aberration and not a sign of permanent change in the wrong direction. The service was excellent as always.
- zuni cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014Always a favorite! Consistently good and interesting food. Great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good good goodldgaffVIPDined on 10/7/2014the baked chicken is the way to go at this restaurant. The shoestring potatoes are also a great choice as an extra. Service is always outstanding here.Special Features:
- Consistently great!HappyCustomerDined on 10/3/2014Zuni never disappoints. A late-night dinner with their famous chicken and Caesar salad cannot be beat! Great service too.Special Features:
- very slow and unattentiveJC502VIPDined on 10/3/2014Wow ate there a few months back and it was spot on. This time the service was horrible... Don't bother for this price on a otherwise delicious chicken.Special Features:
- WARM RECEPTION !!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014We had a warm reception ,which set the tone for a pleasant dining experience !!Special Features:
- Loved Zuni!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014Zuni was recommended to us by friends who live in the Bay area. Our visit was well worth the BART ride from Oakland. We sprung for the whole chicken and were not disappointed. Among the other memorable dishes that we had, the nioki really stood out. Service was wonderful. All in all, a great experience in a lively place. We hope to get back to San Fran soon and will definitely plan on returning to Zuni Cafe.Special Features:
- food for a hungry heartLKSSFDined on 9/30/2014we had sazeracs, kumamoto oysters and the roasted chicken. we ate with our hands and fed ours souls. beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues as my all time favoriteLexyDined on 9/30/2014I've been going to Zuni Cafe since it opened and continue to LOVE it. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience. This time, with four girlfriends and they put up with our raucous behavior with charm. Food great, wine list great, some of the best oyster selection in SF. What's not to like.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014We were a bit disappointed with the service in the beginning of our meal. We ordered cocktails and they finally came so late that the 1st course came just after we received them.... Zuni is one of our very favorite restaurants in town and happily for them, always busy - but I had to comment as this is the first time we had an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchBastilleVIPDined on 9/30/2014First time for lunch. Delish and priced right. I recommend the burger.Special Features:
- Always Zuni...CocoDined on 9/28/2014Love Zuni Cafe, the food and everything that goes with it. Lovely staff, polite service. It is my favorite San Francisco restaurant, nothing else I can say. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rosieDined on 9/28/2014Enjoyed the Sunday brunch ambiance and cocktails. Service is excellent. Was a little disappointed with the pizzas, flavors flat.Special Features:
- Fresh!CalivisitorDined on 9/27/2014Love the new daily menu. Keeps the place exciting and the servers excited about their work. We went pre-symphony and they accommodated our timeline perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlackRhinoDined on 9/27/2014We ordered small plates while we waited for the roasted chicken dinner and its was well worth the wait. Fabulous!Special Features:
- RudyDined on 9/27/2014We had a very patient waiter, very nice. The three of us all enjoyed our orders.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in the USAMarkESackettVIPDined on 9/23/2014This place is my all time favorite in the US and has something amazing for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the hypeChristineCVIPDined on 9/21/2014Heard so much about this classic SF staple, and it totally lived up to the hype. I was blown away by the food, but even happier about the service. Seriously - those back waiters were outstanding! Our lead server was a little busy, but the others guys who touched our table were constantly crumbing, filling our water glass, resetting silverware and bringing more bread - but not overbearing or interrupting at all! Reminded me of some of the classic bistro meals I've had on the east coast (Boston, NYC) usually in a more uptight setting, but this place was all of that and relaxed. Plus, we had the best seat in the house - viewing everything going on in the kitchen! I'm a huge fan and I'll definitely be back. P.S. The chicken was 110% worth it.Special Features:
- Still a San Francisco ClassicKarenVIPDined on 9/21/2014When I am away from San Francisco there is nothing I miss so much as Zuni. The service is always impeccable. Can you find a better pork chop anywhere else? Certainly you'll never experience a better Caesar salad. And there's something about the Acme bread. Somehow it's never as good anywhere else. And the margaritas are perfection. If only I could say the same for the wine list -- so full of over-priced disappointments.Special Features:
- great food; bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014Maybe it was a one-off, but the waitress assigned to us was totally useless and absent minded. We had to ask for our drinks after a 15 min wait before anyone came over even to say hi and offer water. She messed up our oyster order, never checked to see if everything was OK, food came out in the wrong order and to top it off she was extraordinarily disingenuous. Her serving skills were also noticed by our neighbours who sat without drinks or food for over 1/2 hour. Such a shame as the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Zuni remains topsLarryDined on 9/19/2014Still one of the great SF symphony-opera dining places. Great California cuisine - fresh, locavore, imaginative. Pretty noisy, unchanged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but noiseyseakatDined on 9/19/2014The food, wine and service at Zuni were great, more than lived up to the hype. Only downside was that it was extremely loud. By the end, we were ready to escape it. We skipped dessert as a result.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014The best chicken in the world. Great hip atmosphere and professional service.
- luvhotfoodluvhotfoodDined on 9/13/2014Best roast chicken and Zuni is the best bistro in town...had been going there since her inception. The new greens in the roast chicken is so-so...still prefer the old greens which have large leaves and a bitter after taste. The Caesar salad is very good as well. The coffee gelato is to die for! I had two friends from Melbourne and they can't wait to return to Zuni again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fionacoronaDined on 9/13/2014Best chicken have ever tasted - the lunch we had on Saturday was a delight from start to finish..... service was excellent and our waiter was entertaining and very friendly - couldn't fault this at all. The atmosphere was great and the place was abuzz with people enjoying themselves whilst having great food - how it should be!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLFlynnDined on 9/12/2014I'm a big fan of this restaurant, but was disappointed with my last dining experience. The oysters were excellent, but the polenta, gnocchi and pork were sub-par.
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014My friend and I ate at Zuni before going to the Orpheum to see a show. We got in at six, and placed an order for the chicken right away. It came right at 7 and it was delicious! It was definitely worth the wait and we still got to our 8pm show on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014dining experience was fab.,fab.,fab.,from start to finish. great food and wait staff; cant wait to go back. MarionSpecial Features:
- A pleasant experiencevcp8Dined on 9/9/2014The maze the restaurant is provides it with beautiful corners. The food is good, but not spectacular. Very well executed. If I had to describe the place with a word it will be warmth. I would come here every week if I could. the chicken with the bread salad is a must. Also the gnocchi.Special Features:
- consistent yumminessSouthernEaterDined on 9/9/2014I know, I know - one should "never order the chicken" because "you can get chicken anywhere." Well, I would challenge ANYONE to find a chicken dish tastier than zuni cafe’s roasted chicken + bread salad. How good is it? It is "make you wanna slap yo' momma" good!Special Features:
- Bloody Mary- nuff saidcwilsonVIPDined on 9/7/2014Go for the balsamic Bloody Mary and enjoy anything that strikes your fancy. The roasted chicken is worth the one hour wait.Special Features:
- Good as everBritabroad3Dined on 9/7/2014As Brits this was highly recommended 7 yrs ago and we loved it . Being back in town we revisited and it didn't disappoint ! The chicken dish is AMAZING !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.