Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
1400 Race St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zulabistro.com/
- Phone: (513) 744-9852
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Mostly private dining available for up to seventy guests.
- Private Party Contact: Devon Barrett 5137449852
A word from Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
Zula Bistro and Wine Bar in historic Over The Rhine is a tapas style restaurant and wine bar. The menu features variety of mussel dishes, cold and hot tapas, and seasonal entrees. The flavor profile concentrates on the countries surrounding the Mediterranean sea. Zula specializes in craft beers and a large offering of wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (135)neighborhood gem (94)good for groups (77)notable wine list (69)hot spot (63)special occasion (50)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (23)late-night find (22)scenic view (10)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Love the Mussels!dawnmVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was my second visit to Zula - both times were for dinner. As with most OTR restaurants, it's a big snug, but the huge advantage is that you can reserve through Open Table (unlikely many others that require wait lists). The locale has easy parking at the Washington Park garage, or at the meters (I also noticed a valet that we did not use). We went before a broadway show and our server was very helpful in keeping us on-time. We started with a beer and a "Washington Park" martini - flavorful with muddled raspberries. The baby kale salad is delicious and can be easily shared. For our entrees, we enjoyed the classic mussels and the mushroom flatbread - both were terrific. The broth is perfect for dipping. The restaurant is a little noisy, and you have to be comfortable with sharing pleasantries with your next door neighbor. I will definitely come again and will continue to refer friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014We went to Zula for an early dinner after attending an event in the area. Neither of us had eaten lunch so we were hungry for a good dinner and Zula delivered. The restaurant is surprisingly large; there are several rooms that you can't see from the front and we ended in the very back but didn't feel cut off or ignored. Our server was excellent- friendly, helpful, informative, and had some good suggestions from the menu. The mussels are delicious. We had them two ways, the classic French and the fungi, both tasty and fresh in a broth we each soaked up with the crusty bread we ordered with the meal. We had started with the kale salad and the meatball appetizer (both delicious) so we were too stuffed to try the desserts. Totally sated, we headed out into the cold and walked to our car feeling very happy with the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The word ZULA describes it !ccurranVIPDined on 11/12/2014From the moment we arrived until we stepped out of the door, we were treated as valued guests. The food is so very good . The cocktail and wine list has great options. Chef Vic and his staff work together as a team and are having fun. As did we.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!oumaDined on 11/8/2014Great Food - Great Service - we loved it - very noisy though!Special Features:
- Really Fun and VibrantMangarebeneDined on 11/8/2014Went with 2 co-workers for a pre- theatre dining experience. Initially soured as they tried to seat us in a back secluded part of an empty restaurant. It took 5 minutes standing in the back waiting. From then on fabulous experience. Great drink menu with unique twists. Had the Smack Your Mama. Server was knowledgable. As she suggested we got a flatbread to dunk in the mussels delicate and sumptuous sauce. Want to take my Pittsburgh foodie family there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!CooksWithWineDined on 11/5/2014Whenever we go to Zula, we always have a great time! Great food preparation and interesting options abound. They have a good wine list with something for everyone.Special Features:
- Perfect evening!KaBoDined on 11/1/2014From start to finish, Zula's provided an outstanding dining experience. Our table was ready when we arrived, our server was attentive and extremely helpful with great advice on food and wine selections. We ate the salmon and kale salad appetizers which were great. Next came a flatbread pizza and funghi mussels dishes both of which were perfect - we almost fought over the mussel broth. And the creme brûlée and raspberry marscipone cake were the perfect ending. Would highly recommend Zula's for a wonderful evening of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaliCrobDined on 11/1/2014Ambience was great, diverse crowd…food did not not measure up. Beet salad A+, Hearts of Romain salad, bountiful and bland. Tried both tuna 2nd course, each served cold…week and lost. Main entree, rice balls were at Applebee's level, Mediterranean meat balls were quite tasty. Maybe would go again for mussel's and or flatbreads.Special Features:
- Miss the Curry Mussels.JamesDined on 10/31/2014Best Mussels choices and Mussels West of the NorthEastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!georgiaDined on 10/30/2014Zula serves up amazing flavor combinations that always delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite OTR SpotTgumbletDined on 10/25/2014Zula is, in my opinion, the best of all the OTR restaurants. Their food is delicious and very fresh, they have a great atmosphere and an incredible wine list. I particularly love their small tuna plates, the flat-breads, and the raspberry marsala cake. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014This was our second time eating at Zula and this has become a new favorite spot. The mussels at Zula are the absolute best I've ever had. Based on my first experience with mussels, I thought I would never try them again, but last time, our server suggested them and I'm so glad he did. My wife and I could eat a pot of these for an appetizer, a pot for the main course and another pot for dessert (but then we wouldn't get to try the rest of their delicious menu)! The service staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. With the brick oven for the flatbreads and an open kitchen line, this place just oozes energy and fun while also being a nice place for a relaxing meal with a glass of wine or one of their unique cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zula dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The dinner at Zula was perfect. I had been once before and sat at the bar with wine and flat breads, but this time around we sat down and tried everything we could. The wine suggestions were helpful - the list had great options to choose from. Everything we ate was fantastic - we have the seared tuna, mussels, a few entrees, a flat bread and dessert (shared everything). The restaurant was a bit loud, but that added to the charm of the experience on a busy Saturday night. I would recommend visiting Zula for a special occasion or a long night of sipping wine and eating slowly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat offenderstakextrordinairVIPDined on 10/18/2014Yet again another wonderful experience at Zula's. Can't say enough positive.Special Features:
- Another great dinner at ZulaMhcinciVIPDined on 10/11/2014We love this place! Food was awesome tonight and got a great seat at the flatbread bar. Keeping this place on heavy rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014My boyfriend and I absolutely loved Zula! The atmosphere is warm and cozy and the food is fresh and delicious! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014The restaurant was appealing, a place for a drink. The meal experience was fair. Service was slow and the server brusque. Not a place for dinner before a performance at Music Hall. Food quality was inconsistant. Two persons at our table ordered the same fish, "large plate", but "small portions" special. The bad, was perhaps a 4 oz. filet from the tail, lined with tendon so that the meat was encased in round fiberous tubes, visibly not fit for consumption, should not have been served. The" good one" was about a 6 oz. fillet of the same fish. It looked fine and our friend liked it. Each diner was served with a scoop of rice. Both the good and bad meals cost $25 each. Small plates were fair -good, but some too small to share.
- Great variety, amazing musselsLisaGJDined on 9/27/2014The service was fantastic, not just our server, but the other support servers getting food out fresh and removing dishes, refreshing drinks. Everything we had was spectacular. The Curry Mussels are incredible. Suggest asking the server for recommendations. Did not steer us wrong.Special Features:
- BinnydinnerDined on 9/27/2014Pleasant evening at ZULA, quite a noisy venue, but food was good. Very attentive waitress who took good care of us, without being intrusive, and made sure we got to our event in good time. Much appreciated.Special Features:
- Filled Up By Small Platesjam1Dined on 9/27/2014I often am not thrilled with small plate restaurants because you spend a good amount of money and leave hungry. This was not the case at Zula. My boyfriend and I ordered 3 of the small plates on special, a pot of mussels and order of bread. You should order bread if you get mussels because you will want to soak up the yummy broth. The pork and duck rillettes were fantastic - very rich and satisfying. The gnocchi with vegetables was also very good. This would be great place to come with a group and order lots of plates to share. There are also large plate specials offered, if you want an entire meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014foods great, service is really good but tables are way to close, impossible to have a conversation at a normal volumn. needs some way to keep the vibe but reduce the sound. it's a deal breaker for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun for groups and just good fooddeb1Dined on 9/24/2014Our dishes were delicious. Recommend the salmon serviche, beet salad, mussels, flat bread. Haven't had a bad dish there. Lovely spot across from Washington Park. Small plates.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. I always enjoy this place in OTR because you can make reservations, but still get a neat experience. Wine prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Generally Good ButOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014WE like Zula and go there fairlly often. The food is always a cut above avaerage and sometimes excellent. However, we had mussels and I am a seafood snob. THe preparation was great but I didn't think they tasted very fresh.Special Features:
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Food was ok, mussels & steak, did not try the flatbreads but they looked good; service was really slow; did not enjoy communal seating in front of oven; but liked the location & the ambianceSpecial Features:
- Newbies love itEatoutfunVIPDined on 9/18/2014Hosted three friends who were first timers and they loved it. Place was very enegetic on a Thursday night and the food continues to be great. Love the New Orleans mussels and the tuna crudo. Others loved the chicken, beef and flatbread. Wine list is perfect with reasonably priced wine values by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My wife and I went to Zula's for a "Date Night" out and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was wonderful and made great suggestion for both food and wine. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Passable but not greatRuthyDined on 9/13/2014Food was OK, but not excellent; menu descriptions promised more than was delivered. We ordered bread, which was spongy ad horrible. Microwaved, I suspect! Groan. Beet salad was mostly good but several beet cubes were tough and undercooked. Tuna was skimpy and hardly seared; I was served little, unrecognizable bits of tuna (I hope), which hardly deserves the description offered. Also, I'm not a fan of so much heat (Serrano peppers) in a delicate dish. Sorry. It was a disappointment. Our server, however, was lovely.
- FoodieDined on 9/12/2014an excellent dinner experience----very attentive waitress, but not too much so, and wonderful food. Great desserts! I'll be back and will tell friends about our very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodDianVIPDined on 9/10/2014Second time here - love the food! Can be very noisy. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We dined on Saturday evening, 9/6 as a party of 7. It was the first time for everyone. We had incredible service. Our waitress did a great job of recommending items to share and big plates. She was extremely friendly, quick and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulstakextrordinairVIPDined on 9/6/2014Like the CSO, Zula is a repeat performace that was wonderful. Everytime we go we can' wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodDowntownfunDined on 9/6/2014Even though it was a bit loud, the food and service were excellent. Great place with lots going on at the park.Special Features:
- Amazing Eveningjackie1124Dined on 8/30/2014Had a table of 13 women for a bachelorette party. Service was amazing and the food was great. Only complaint is that when booking the reservation the hostess did not notify us about only being able to split the check 10 ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemabloomerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Zula is one of the best in Cincinnati. Have the mussels and bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent for visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had out of town people who saw it in Yelp and we and they loved it. Never would have found it otherwise. A gem for food but noisy . Great location next to a beautiful park and Music Hall.Special Features:
- Definitely Going BackDaphneDined on 8/28/2014If you are a fan of mussels you are going to love this place! It is our intention to eat our way through the entire mussel menu. The salads are great and yummy bread as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salads PhenomenalBarbDined on 8/26/2014We had the beet and the hericot vert salads---- both were complex and incredibly tasty. We could have stopped right there but were glad we didn't. We also had the tuna crudo which I cannot NOT get when I go there. We finished the meal with mussels and bread. An excellent food experience once again. We both had the featured wine and the pour seemed a bit on the lighter side, although it was delicious. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New LovetheonlyczaDined on 8/23/2014Great experience. Been wanting to try this place for a while now and exceeded my expectations. Great service, great food and good atmosphere. One of my new favorite restaurants in Over-the-Rhine. Tapas menu, but portions are huge! Great flatbreads and can't wait to try the other styles of mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food Just OKLynnGDined on 8/23/2014We went to Zula on Saturday evening. Even though we arrived late, they seated us right away and our waitress was attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and fast! The mussels were small and didn't have much flavor. The flatbread was OK. The calamari was not fried, but it was pretty much tasteless, like the mussels. The atmosphere was frenetic with wait staff rushing around, people coming and going. With the metal ceiling, one glass wall and concrete floors, it and very loud. This is fine for a bar scene, but not good for a small group trying to have a relaxed meal and conversation. If I am with a group in the future and everyone wants to go there, I will go again. But, if I get to choose the place, it wouldn't be my first choice.