Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
1400 Race St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zulabistro.com/
- Phone: 5137449852
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Mostly private dining available for up to seventy guests.
- Private Party Contact: Devon Barrett 5137449852
A word from Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
Zula Bistro and Wine Bar in historic Over The Rhine is a tapas style restaurant and wine bar. The menu features variety of mussel dishes, cold and hot tapas, and seasonal entrees. The flavor profile concentrates on the countries surrounding the Mediterranean sea. Zula specializes in craft beers and a large offering of wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (156)neighborhood gem (122)hot spot (81)notable wine list (81)good for groups (75)vibrant bar scene (61)special occasion (52)late-night find (37)romantic (32)scenic view (9)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- New LovetheonlyczaDined on 8/23/2014Great experience. Been wanting to try this place for a while now and exceeded my expectations. Great service, great food and good atmosphere. One of my new favorite restaurants in Over-the-Rhine. Tapas menu, but portions are huge! Great flatbreads and can't wait to try the other styles of mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food Just OKLynnGDined on 8/23/2014We went to Zula on Saturday evening. Even though we arrived late, they seated us right away and our waitress was attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and fast! The mussels were small and didn't have much flavor. The flatbread was OK. The calamari was not fried, but it was pretty much tasteless, like the mussels. The atmosphere was frenetic with wait staff rushing around, people coming and going. With the metal ceiling, one glass wall and concrete floors, it and very loud. This is fine for a bar scene, but not good for a small group trying to have a relaxed meal and conversation. If I am with a group in the future and everyone wants to go there, I will go again. But, if I get to choose the place, it wouldn't be my first choice.
- DisappointedfamfourDined on 8/22/2014Food was great but restaurant was so loud you couldn't converse without yelling. Our server was just ok. Was not very attentive especially when we first arrived. Drinks took a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBabyBen2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful restaurant for a relaxing and informal dinner with an excellent selection of food and specialty cocktails. Convenient for dinner before concerts and events at Music Hall and in Washington ParkSpecial Features:
- Amazing musselsebetDined on 8/16/2014Lots of choices to be sure but the yellow curry mussels were fantasticSpecial Features:
- Poor service trumps good foodOTRFanVIPDined on 8/16/2014Got a reservation for my college-aged daughter and a friend for restaurant week. Though the food was good, they were really disappointed in the way that they were treated - like second class citizens. Either they received poor seating and service because they aren't of legal drinking age (which would mean a lower tab), or because they were dining at restaurant week pricing. Either is inexcusable. And for the record, they were well dressed and polite…and could have been part of Zula's future demographic. Waitress was either new or unsuited to the profession. Slow, unhelpful, passive aggressive. At the end of the meal said she didn't think that Zula had the capability to split a check. The girls asked her to try - voila. New skill for her.Special Features:
- highly satisfiedchick71VIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a fantastic place to enjoy who you are with and great food. Everything I have tried has been wonderful. I encourage you to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathyDined on 8/15/2014We visited Zula's during Restaurant Week for the deal of 3 courses for $35 a person. The food exceeded our expectations. The restaurant is beautiful. The servers were efficient. We will be back!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekAlliGDined on 8/14/2014My husband & I went for Restaurant Week 2014 ($35/person) because I thought Zula had the most creative menu. It was pretty loud & they sit you quite close to your fellow diners but the wine is delicious & the food was phenomenal! I had a great time, our waitress was very helpful (unlike most reviews to the contrary), the bill was a little heartstopping but all in all, worth it! They make their own gelato which was SO GOOD & their bar is well stocked. I definitely recommend it & finish it off with a stroll around Washington Park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Check OutMUSTCHECKOUTDined on 8/14/2014Amazing décor, simple and elegant at first blush but interesting upon closer review. The food was great. I appreciate that clean food was on the menu (such as Amish chicken). Ingredients were fresh and salad had a yummy and interesting combination. The deserts are to die for. I would even consider visiting just for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cincinnati restaurant weekOlgaVIPDined on 8/13/2014It was our first time at zula's and it was a pretty good experience. we had a fantastic window seat with a view of a corner of Washington Park. The tiger shrimp entree was excellent. For dessert we ordered pana cotta and crime brûlée and we agreed that crime brûlée was fantastic and pana cotta was a little too much. We'll definitely come back and try more cocktails and menu items. happy to add Zula to our list of places to take our friends and family to whe visiting. love OTR!Special Features:
- Great food, really bad serviceIHeartFoodDined on 8/12/2014We had five of us at 9pm for restaurant week. Online they were taking reservations until 10pm. Our waitress had a seriously bad attitude, and all but rolled her eyes when we had to remind her that we needed a round of drinks and bread we had already asked for. We felt hurried, and I had three people tell me "thanks for coming in" on my way to the bathroom 15 min. after we got there. The food was REALLY good though, and it's a shame that the overall experience was dampened by our bad waitress. I may not go back, even though the food was outstanding. There are plenty of places nearby with great food and impeccable service.Special Features:
- Nice new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Happy to add Zula to my list of fave restuarants in Cincinnati!Special Features:
- Food continues to be excellentTravelstoeatDined on 8/12/2014Zula has a great location, right on the NE corner of Washington Park, and a vibrant atmosphere. The food is great and helps to forget the so-so service. Our waiter was pleasant and seemed attentive but he missed here and there, like switching our reds first time (we knew they were mixed up, he should have and the next round he got them right). And not putting in the bread order so it came with our mussels rather midway through eating them. Still the food was top notch, great flavors and portion sizes, and walking around the park after dinner on a lovely summer evening is a treat.Special Features:
- Great food, service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was delicious.wine and beer selection good. Service slow and not the friendliest. We had to ask for an explanation of the menu and no chiller for white wine. Expected much more input from staff. When leaving restaurant, walked right last hostess and she didn't even smile or say goodbye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre-Show TapasrandomwalkDined on 8/7/2014Interesting ingredient combos and flavors, tables are a bit close together and we were seated right on top of another couple even though the restaurant was nearly empty. Great place to go before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my Favorites!Ellie5225Dined on 8/2/2014Without a doubt, I have always recommended this place to anyone in town or someone looking for something new. I always try to gather a group together so selfishly I get a chance to try the majority of the menu. Here are a few of my favorites! Trust me you can not go wrong with any item. COLD PLATES: Yellow Fin Tuna Crudo (sometimes they have salmon crudo too!), Roasted Beet Salad, Haricot Vert Frisèe, Baby Kale Salad MUSSEL BAR: New Orleans style: Smokey Gumbo Sauce, Shrimp, Andouille (You must order their house bread to soak up all the amazing broth) FLAT BREAD: Roasted Seasonal Mushroom, Bulgarian Feta or the goat cheese. I guess one could understand why a group is always better for sharing. Remember "sharing is caring!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and atmospherefoodie2VIPDined on 8/2/2014Our group had a very enjoyable evening, the restaurant is much larger than it appears and the food was delicious. We ordered several items to share and tried their various cocktails. We were not lingering over our glasses of water by any means so we were very surprised when we asked to see the dessert menu, our server told us that another reservation was waiting for our table and we would need to move to the bar to order and eat dessert. We were accommodating since it was Lumeocity but disappointed that it was not handled in a more customer friendly way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, disappointing serviceshansanDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good but the service was flakey and unfocused.Special Features:
- Zula's TriesBadExperienceDined on 8/2/2014Did not get seated until 5:10 pm. Reservation was for 5:00 pm. Waitress thought there was only 1 in the party. Tried to seat the two of us at a table jammed into the window. Roast beef was served rare, not medium rare. Restaurant was too noisy. Would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTarenDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten here several times and enjoy it every time I visit. The food is very good and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-concert findAnniversaryPartyDined on 7/31/2014We got reservations easily before the Luminocity dress rehearsal. Service timing was perfect. Plus our table was next to the appetizer prep bar. Cooking lesson! Bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014This was my second time visiting Zula and it was just as good (if not better!) than I remembered it! I highly recommend getting their bread basket with the mussels so that you can soak up the delicious broth. We finished our meal with a tasty muffin like cake that had raspberries studded in it. Delish!Special Features:
- Great food but too loud on weekendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014I love the food, the place and service but it is too loud when full. I would like to be able to talk with all sitting at my tableI would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels!downtownersDined on 7/24/2014Never disappointed in the mussels! or the salads. or the flatbread.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary; they acknowledged that but would have been great if they could have offered something special. If that had happened, they would have had my loyalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty treat as alwayBrianCVIPDined on 7/18/2014Mussels and flatbreads were superb as always, enjoyed trying a few new things, the rotating menu always seems to fresh and seasonal, quite a treat! Great service.Special Features:
- One wordififDined on 7/17/2014Your restaurant is incredible! The food was absolutely amazing. We had great service when we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatGabbyDined on 7/12/2014The food is amazing and the service is wonderful. Great wine list very affordable menu with a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Incredible FoodcincinnatifoodloverDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful experience dining at Zula. Our server (I wish I remembered her name) was friendly and great at her job.We chose to do tapas and the food experience just kept getting better as they brought the next dish out. I highly recommend the tuna, calamari, and of course the mussels. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Justifiably popularnkymikepDined on 7/12/2014Zula is packed on a Saturday night -- especially when there's something on at Music Hall. But Open Table found us two seats on fairly short notice. It'll take a few visits to work through the wine list, but it's obviously well thought out. We stuck to small plates and salads on this visit, and they were excellent: an imaginative variety, well prepared, nicely priced. We'll bring bigger appetites next time and sample the enticing large plates. A great bistro find for a couple of music-lovers. Not a place for a quiet conversation, though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatitalianDined on 7/12/2014Our table was generally very impressed with the food, service, and overall experience. Because the kitchen was extremely busy at peak-dinner hour there was a long delay between the ordering and the appearance of the dinners. I personally ordered a cold and a hot small plate, and requested they be served in that order. The hot plate arrived first. This certainly made my enjoyment of the Tuna Crudo much less than it would have been. Overall it was a positive experience and we agreed we would all return on future occasionsSpecial Features:
- Perfect for dinner before a concertRobertaDined on 7/12/2014The food is quite good and the service is attentive. We usually do the standard order there: pick a style of mussels; pick a flatbread; pick a salad and share them all. It is the perfect place to eat before walking across Washington Park to the opera or a concert at Music Hall. And they take reservations, so you can make sure you will be seated and out on time. Be aware that the noise level is pretty high - so it's not the best place if you want to talk. Some of our favorites are: mushroom flatbread, haricot vert salad, and salmon tartare. Also like the Washington Park cocktail - fresh raspberry and lime, but not too sweet. It's very refreshing.Special Features:
- Mussel BeachHungryfoodieDined on 7/12/2014Mussels & flatbread = wonderful. And so convenient to Music Hall, too. Doesn't get any better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wowed.AndreaDined on 7/11/2014This place is known for their mussel preparations and the one we tried was very good, I believe it was called the Marseilles, made with saffron. I enjoyed the beet salad and the risotto cake, although the pork cheek was one small stringy piece of pork. The cake itself was creamy and well seasoned. I'm not sure I would return to Zula. I'm glad I tried it but I was not wowed.Special Features:
- still love ZulabermudaschwartzDined on 7/10/2014hadn't been there in a few months/food is still excellent but way too noisySpecial Features:
- Great Casual DiningcincyslyDined on 7/9/2014Mussels, flatbread, and tapas oh my! This is great OTR casual dining spot. When you are not necessarily looking for a full formal dinner, Zula really is a great spot. While they do have large plates and you could have a more traditional dinner, the ability to order small plates and a variety of mussels & flatbreads is what we love about this place. Two blocks off Vine, so not as crowded and larger than most OTR establishments so easier to get in. Kale salad, yellow curry mussels, and the tomato, basil, and balsamic flatbread were all three great. Great for causal dining with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem near Washington ParkEBNinCVGVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a great dinner with wonderful wines. The tables are close together and the place is loud but very vibrant. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hoppin' scene at Washington ParkBizetDined on 7/5/2014Food was excellent - gnocchi with lamb Bolognese, eggplant fries with a spicy dipping sauce, the risotto cake, plus excellent cold salmon dish and a lovely beet salad. The place is a bit loud, and the drink service a bit slow, but we had a great meal and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Options in OTRDinnerInCincinnatiDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I were excited to try Zula as we had heard good things and enjoy eating out in OTR, but were disappointed. We tried 5 different items from the menu and the best was between ok & good. overall our dinner was fine, but with so many good options (Abigail Street, Bakersfield, Senate, etc) in OTR we will not be going back. The beet salad was not well balanced between greens, dressing, blue cheese and beets as the beets were way to overpowering. The gnocci in lamb ragu had too much sauce but was good. The fried rissoto had a great, very flavorful crust but the risotto in the middle was pretty bland. The bread and goat cheese flatbread were both very good.