Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
1400 Race St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zulabistro.com/
- Phone: 5137449852
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Mostly private dining available for up to seventy guests.
- Private Party Contact: Devon Barrett 5137449852
A word from Zula Bistro & Wine Bar
Zula Bistro and Wine Bar in historic Over The Rhine is a tapas style restaurant and wine bar. The menu features variety of mussel dishes, cold and hot tapas, and seasonal entrees. The flavor profile concentrates on the countries surrounding the Mediterranean sea. Zula specializes in craft beers and a large offering of wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Zula Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (154)neighborhood gem (112)good for groups (75)notable wine list (73)hot spot (71)vibrant bar scene (53)special occasion (48)romantic (30)late-night find (30)scenic view (11)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great variety, amazing musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014The service was fantastic, not just our server, but the other support servers getting food out fresh and removing dishes, refreshing drinks. Everything we had was spectacular. The Curry Mussels are incredible. Suggest asking the server for recommendations. Did not steer us wrong.Special Features:
- BinnydinnerDined on 9/27/2014Pleasant evening at ZULA, quite a noisy venue, but food was good. Very attentive waitress who took good care of us, without being intrusive, and made sure we got to our event in good time. Much appreciated.Special Features:
- Filled Up By Small Platesjam1Dined on 9/27/2014I often am not thrilled with small plate restaurants because you spend a good amount of money and leave hungry. This was not the case at Zula. My boyfriend and I ordered 3 of the small plates on special, a pot of mussels and order of bread. You should order bread if you get mussels because you will want to soak up the yummy broth. The pork and duck rillettes were fantastic - very rich and satisfying. The gnocchi with vegetables was also very good. This would be great place to come with a group and order lots of plates to share. There are also large plate specials offered, if you want an entire meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014foods great, service is really good but tables are way to close, impossible to have a conversation at a normal volumn. needs some way to keep the vibe but reduce the sound. it's a deal breaker for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun for groups and just good fooddeb1Dined on 9/24/2014Our dishes were delicious. Recommend the salmon serviche, beet salad, mussels, flat bread. Haven't had a bad dish there. Lovely spot across from Washington Park. Small plates.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. I always enjoy this place in OTR because you can make reservations, but still get a neat experience. Wine prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Generally Good ButOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014WE like Zula and go there fairlly often. The food is always a cut above avaerage and sometimes excellent. However, we had mussels and I am a seafood snob. THe preparation was great but I didn't think they tasted very fresh.Special Features:
- Newbies love itEatoutfunVIPDined on 9/18/2014Hosted three friends who were first timers and they loved it. Place was very enegetic on a Thursday night and the food continues to be great. Love the New Orleans mussels and the tuna crudo. Others loved the chicken, beef and flatbread. Wine list is perfect with reasonably priced wine values by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014My wife and I went to Zula's for a "Date Night" out and had a wonderful time. Our waiter was wonderful and made great suggestion for both food and wine. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Passable but not greatRuthyDined on 9/13/2014Food was OK, but not excellent; menu descriptions promised more than was delivered. We ordered bread, which was spongy ad horrible. Microwaved, I suspect! Groan. Beet salad was mostly good but several beet cubes were tough and undercooked. Tuna was skimpy and hardly seared; I was served little, unrecognizable bits of tuna (I hope), which hardly deserves the description offered. Also, I'm not a fan of so much heat (Serrano peppers) in a delicate dish. Sorry. It was a disappointment. Our server, however, was lovely.
- FoodieDined on 9/12/2014an excellent dinner experience----very attentive waitress, but not too much so, and wonderful food. Great desserts! I'll be back and will tell friends about our very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodDianDined on 9/10/2014Second time here - love the food! Can be very noisy. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We dined on Saturday evening, 9/6 as a party of 7. It was the first time for everyone. We had incredible service. Our waitress did a great job of recommending items to share and big plates. She was extremely friendly, quick and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulstakextrordinairDined on 9/6/2014Like the CSO, Zula is a repeat performace that was wonderful. Everytime we go we can' wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful FoodDowntownfunDined on 9/6/2014Even though it was a bit loud, the food and service were excellent. Great place with lots going on at the park.Special Features:
- Amazing Eveningjackie1124Dined on 8/30/2014Had a table of 13 women for a bachelorette party. Service was amazing and the food was great. Only complaint is that when booking the reservation the hostess did not notify us about only being able to split the check 10 ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemabloomerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Zula is one of the best in Cincinnati. Have the mussels and bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent for visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had out of town people who saw it in Yelp and we and they loved it. Never would have found it otherwise. A gem for food but noisy . Great location next to a beautiful park and Music Hall.Special Features:
- Definitely Going BackDaphneDined on 8/28/2014If you are a fan of mussels you are going to love this place! It is our intention to eat our way through the entire mussel menu. The salads are great and yummy bread as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salads PhenomenalBarbDined on 8/26/2014We had the beet and the hericot vert salads---- both were complex and incredibly tasty. We could have stopped right there but were glad we didn't. We also had the tuna crudo which I cannot NOT get when I go there. We finished the meal with mussels and bread. An excellent food experience once again. We both had the featured wine and the pour seemed a bit on the lighter side, although it was delicious. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New LovetheonlyczaDined on 8/23/2014Great experience. Been wanting to try this place for a while now and exceeded my expectations. Great service, great food and good atmosphere. One of my new favorite restaurants in Over-the-Rhine. Tapas menu, but portions are huge! Great flatbreads and can't wait to try the other styles of mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food Just OKLynnGDined on 8/23/2014We went to Zula on Saturday evening. Even though we arrived late, they seated us right away and our waitress was attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and fast! The mussels were small and didn't have much flavor. The flatbread was OK. The calamari was not fried, but it was pretty much tasteless, like the mussels. The atmosphere was frenetic with wait staff rushing around, people coming and going. With the metal ceiling, one glass wall and concrete floors, it and very loud. This is fine for a bar scene, but not good for a small group trying to have a relaxed meal and conversation. If I am with a group in the future and everyone wants to go there, I will go again. But, if I get to choose the place, it wouldn't be my first choice.
- DisappointedfamfourDined on 8/22/2014Food was great but restaurant was so loud you couldn't converse without yelling. Our server was just ok. Was not very attentive especially when we first arrived. Drinks took a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBabyBen2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014Wonderful restaurant for a relaxing and informal dinner with an excellent selection of food and specialty cocktails. Convenient for dinner before concerts and events at Music Hall and in Washington ParkSpecial Features:
- Amazing musselsebetDined on 8/16/2014Lots of choices to be sure but the yellow curry mussels were fantasticSpecial Features:
- Poor service trumps good foodOTRFanVIPDined on 8/16/2014Got a reservation for my college-aged daughter and a friend for restaurant week. Though the food was good, they were really disappointed in the way that they were treated - like second class citizens. Either they received poor seating and service because they aren't of legal drinking age (which would mean a lower tab), or because they were dining at restaurant week pricing. Either is inexcusable. And for the record, they were well dressed and polite…and could have been part of Zula's future demographic. Waitress was either new or unsuited to the profession. Slow, unhelpful, passive aggressive. At the end of the meal said she didn't think that Zula had the capability to split a check. The girls asked her to try - voila. New skill for her.Special Features:
- highly satisfiedchick71VIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a fantastic place to enjoy who you are with and great food. Everything I have tried has been wonderful. I encourage you to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathyDined on 8/15/2014We visited Zula's during Restaurant Week for the deal of 3 courses for $35 a person. The food exceeded our expectations. The restaurant is beautiful. The servers were efficient. We will be back!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekAlliGDined on 8/14/2014My husband & I went for Restaurant Week 2014 ($35/person) because I thought Zula had the most creative menu. It was pretty loud & they sit you quite close to your fellow diners but the wine is delicious & the food was phenomenal! I had a great time, our waitress was very helpful (unlike most reviews to the contrary), the bill was a little heartstopping but all in all, worth it! They make their own gelato which was SO GOOD & their bar is well stocked. I definitely recommend it & finish it off with a stroll around Washington Park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Check OutMUSTCHECKOUTDined on 8/14/2014Amazing décor, simple and elegant at first blush but interesting upon closer review. The food was great. I appreciate that clean food was on the menu (such as Amish chicken). Ingredients were fresh and salad had a yummy and interesting combination. The deserts are to die for. I would even consider visiting just for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cincinnati restaurant weekOlgaVIPDined on 8/13/2014It was our first time at zula's and it was a pretty good experience. we had a fantastic window seat with a view of a corner of Washington Park. The tiger shrimp entree was excellent. For dessert we ordered pana cotta and crime brûlée and we agreed that crime brûlée was fantastic and pana cotta was a little too much. We'll definitely come back and try more cocktails and menu items. happy to add Zula to our list of places to take our friends and family to whe visiting. love OTR!Special Features:
- Great food, really bad serviceIHeartFoodDined on 8/12/2014We had five of us at 9pm for restaurant week. Online they were taking reservations until 10pm. Our waitress had a seriously bad attitude, and all but rolled her eyes when we had to remind her that we needed a round of drinks and bread we had already asked for. We felt hurried, and I had three people tell me "thanks for coming in" on my way to the bathroom 15 min. after we got there. The food was REALLY good though, and it's a shame that the overall experience was dampened by our bad waitress. I may not go back, even though the food was outstanding. There are plenty of places nearby with great food and impeccable service.Special Features:
- Nice new spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Happy to add Zula to my list of fave restuarants in Cincinnati!Special Features:
- Food continues to be excellentTravelstoeatDined on 8/12/2014Zula has a great location, right on the NE corner of Washington Park, and a vibrant atmosphere. The food is great and helps to forget the so-so service. Our waiter was pleasant and seemed attentive but he missed here and there, like switching our reds first time (we knew they were mixed up, he should have and the next round he got them right). And not putting in the bread order so it came with our mussels rather midway through eating them. Still the food was top notch, great flavors and portion sizes, and walking around the park after dinner on a lovely summer evening is a treat.Special Features:
- Great food, service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was delicious.wine and beer selection good. Service slow and not the friendliest. We had to ask for an explanation of the menu and no chiller for white wine. Expected much more input from staff. When leaving restaurant, walked right last hostess and she didn't even smile or say goodbye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre-Show TapasrandomwalkDined on 8/7/2014Interesting ingredient combos and flavors, tables are a bit close together and we were seated right on top of another couple even though the restaurant was nearly empty. Great place to go before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my Favorites!Ellie5225Dined on 8/2/2014Without a doubt, I have always recommended this place to anyone in town or someone looking for something new. I always try to gather a group together so selfishly I get a chance to try the majority of the menu. Here are a few of my favorites! Trust me you can not go wrong with any item. COLD PLATES: Yellow Fin Tuna Crudo (sometimes they have salmon crudo too!), Roasted Beet Salad, Haricot Vert Frisèe, Baby Kale Salad MUSSEL BAR: New Orleans style: Smokey Gumbo Sauce, Shrimp, Andouille (You must order their house bread to soak up all the amazing broth) FLAT BREAD: Roasted Seasonal Mushroom, Bulgarian Feta or the goat cheese. I guess one could understand why a group is always better for sharing. Remember "sharing is caring!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and atmospherefoodie2VIPDined on 8/2/2014Our group had a very enjoyable evening, the restaurant is much larger than it appears and the food was delicious. We ordered several items to share and tried their various cocktails. We were not lingering over our glasses of water by any means so we were very surprised when we asked to see the dessert menu, our server told us that another reservation was waiting for our table and we would need to move to the bar to order and eat dessert. We were accommodating since it was Lumeocity but disappointed that it was not handled in a more customer friendly way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, disappointing serviceshansanDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good but the service was flakey and unfocused.Special Features:
- Zula's TriesBadExperienceDined on 8/2/2014Did not get seated until 5:10 pm. Reservation was for 5:00 pm. Waitress thought there was only 1 in the party. Tried to seat the two of us at a table jammed into the window. Roast beef was served rare, not medium rare. Restaurant was too noisy. Would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.