245 Atwells Ave.
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trattoriazooma.com/
- Phone: 4013832002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Marcello Florio (Pescara, Italy)
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private area seats up to 30 guests. Partys of 30 or more can be seated in the main dining or lounge area. Some restrictions apply. Call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Patricia Griggs 4013832002x
A word from Zooma
Award winning, authentic, Neapolitan recipes served in a sophisticated and modern atmosphere, featuring a chef’s table and alfresco dining. Zooma offers a seasonal menu, focusing on fresh, local ingredients, as well as exotic cocktails, a bistro menu and wood-oven pizza in their upscale lounge. Open daily for lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zooma reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (29)romantic (25)notable wine list (17)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Very GoodSirExpectalotDined on 9/13/2014Second Time at Zooma Trattoria, not disappointed, seated near a window as requested promptly, Server gave us more than enough time to make up our minds, Roasted Tomato Basil soup was outstanding, Calamari was very good although just warm, servers assistant forgot the shared plates, no biggie, entree's very good as advertised. server forgot the sugar coffee got a little cold as I waited and he kinda just threw them on the table. Understandable in his business as he had other tables and he already made his money. Overall I would return; but there are other places on Federal Hill we would like to try.Special Features:
- Providence Evening3boysmomDined on 9/12/2014Delicious dinner. Waiter was really helpful in selecting dishes and wine, but left us for too long after dinner before returning with check. Still, relaxing and delicious meal. Home made pasta was delicious. salads were fresh and meatballs were fantastic. My son had swordfish, a nice portion and grilled perfectly. My husband had the spicy shrimp and felt that dish was extremely overpriced. Still, a fun evening and happy night by all of us.Special Features:
- Southern Italy in PVD.BruinsRuleVIPDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed a great early Fall night on Federal Hill @ Zooma. Big front windows were open for al fresco ambiance. Initial Old World feel w/ pasta making by hand @ entrance. Interior has a more modern vibe. Signature cocktails pricey at $10-12, but were good. Matt knew the menu and gave good descriptions to help us decide. We split the three way Neapolitan pizza, Gnocchi al Forno, and Swordfish, which wasn't a problem for the staff. Pizza was delicious. Cooked at high heat with crispy crust that was light & fluffy inside. Gnocchi was also light as a cloud with an excellent cream sauce. Swordfish was good, but could have dialed back on salt with the capers. Molten dark chocolate cake w/ vanilla gelato was very good. Creme Brule big but average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional againJeffRDined on 9/11/2014The pasts at Zooma is truly excellent. Every dish is memorable. The service is also top notch. There is never any objection (or charge) for splitting plates or modifying dishes to accommodate dietary restrictions. The service team is always attentive but never in your face. This is one of our very favorite food destinations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great food and service. For some reason, they think it's fun to leave the doors and windows wide open, so that you can have the direct experience of a bus or fire truck as it accelerates only 20 feet from your window-side table. I guess they think that makes it more authentically Italian.Special Features:
- Justmarried60714Dined on 8/31/2014Second time for us; first for our friends. Waiter arrived promptly and was informative. Loved the Bolognese and the Antipasti. Our guests ordered Halibut special which was amazing. Appetizers and dinners arrived in a reasonable amount of time. Dessert was another story. One order of cannolis and one order of the lava cake took over 30 minutes to arrive which sort of ruined the evening. We will return again, but not sure about our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zooma ReviewGoodChoiceDined on 8/30/2014Robust menu featuring a nice blend of vegetarian and meat options. Good service. Server did not rush us; Enjoyed a leisurely two-hour dinner. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great place for casual diningWaltKDined on 8/30/2014Great food and service. Our waiter was a real professional and made some great suggestions. No complaints whatsoever!Special Features:
- ScarletDined on 8/25/2014As always, ZOOMA does not disappoint. Food, service, selection, desserts . . . great and worth repeating as often as you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- federal Hill gem2todineVIPDined on 8/21/2014zooma was recommended to me by a Providence local. I was visiting for the day and wanted a restaurant on Federal Hill for an early dinner. zooma proved too be a nice suprise. my husband ordered a pasta dish and said it was excellent! That is quite a compliment coming from him because he is a pasta snob coming from the NY area. I had the swordfish, which is caught locally. it was very fresh and cooked perfectly . what is also nice is that they give you a sizable portion of FRESH vegetables with your entree which many restaurants do not. If we are ever in Providence again , Zooma will be a definite choice. Not disappointed at all.Special Features:
- I can't wait to go backEllenok2Dined on 8/15/2014The food at Zooma is outstanding. As good as what we had in Italy, absolutely. Fresh housemade pastas and sauces. Innovative cuisine, still adhering to Italian perfection but with combinations and ingredients we haven't seen before. Excellent service. I truly can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- So…SoBoebesDined on 8/9/2014I have been to Zooma several times in the past. Needless to say, this time will be my last. The dishes were lack luster and way too salty.
- Spectacular!itterfamVIPDined on 8/8/2014Homemade pasta, prepared daily. Extensive menu, with lots of wonderful choices. Four of us dined here and loved every entree. Friendly server. Service was timed nicely. I would definately go here again. Hands down, the best in Federal Hill.Special Features:
- Great pasta, great ambiancePcfavDined on 7/29/2014Visiting my son who attends college in Providence, Zooma is always our favorite place to have a fantastic dining experience. The fresh pasta is amazing and excellent appetizers. They were also very accommodating to my nephew who ordered a pasta sauce that was not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceMissReviewer4Dined on 7/26/2014Zooma was great. The food was delicious and the service was great. Our open table reservation did not show up at the restaurant, but they still accommodated us without a wait. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tone down the salt!!BostonReviewerDined on 7/26/2014What could have been a great meal turned into just an average. We ordered several entrees with red tomato/marinara sauce. Unfortunately they killed the dishes with sauce that was so over the top salty that it almost was beyond the edible point. Such a shame, especially after I ordered a $55 special pounded bone in veal chop (which the server unfortunately failed to disclose the price of even though it was $20 more than the next most expensive dish on the menu). Also, for an 800 degree brick wood fired oven or the like, we expected the pizza to be a lot crispier. This place has a lot of potential: great menu & homemade pasta, but they are being killed by a sauce that touches almost all their dishes; such a shame as it such an easy fix.Special Features:
- Summer night outPaddyODined on 7/26/2014Great night dining al fresco in Federal Hill. Eggplant appetizer was wonderful, caeser salad good, pasta amazing (particularly since you watch them making it on premises), and chicken piccata delightful. Skipped dessert but good espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014We needed a quiet spot to spend some conversation time with a good friend who needed to talk and the hostess was wonderful about directing us to a table around the corner from the busier area. Service and food was excellent, as usual. Thank you.Special Features:
- LeeleeDined on 7/18/2014My experience at Zooma was perfect. I was taking my nephew who is a student at Brown out for dinner so that we could visit and catch up. We gave him a choice of three restaurants and he selected Zooma. The restaurant was perfect. The menu is diverse and there was something for everyone. Our service was superb and the food delicious. Two of us had a glass of wine and they did not disappoint. We ere able to visit he noise comfortably as the noise level was low. All in all Zooma is a comfortable, fun place to dine...I look forward to another dinner at that restaurant!
- Homemade pasta!AngelaDined on 7/18/2014I have been here numerous times and it has never failed! I moved from providence but boston but still make trips just to have zooma's pasta! I compare all homemade pastas to the dishes I have at zooma and nothing beats itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date nightnnashDined on 7/12/2014My wine tortellini with goat cheese was amazing. My husband got tuna which was overcooked, but they brought us new one very quickly. We also had a an app that was just ok. Over all nice place, I would go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!pizzagirlDined on 7/8/2014I've been to Zooma several times, for lunch and for dinner. The first time, I had the homemade pasta---the best I've ever had---melt in your mouth fabulous! My husband loved the pizza, and he makes his own dough and is very particular about pizza---well done! This last week, we went to dinner with a client. We all loved our food---my chicken was wonderful, even the next day when I had the other half for lunch. And, best of all, on Tuesdays, the wine is half price. Overall, one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodRodgerDined on 7/7/2014Zooma is a very good restaurant with a focused menu that basically keys in on southern Italian food. The food is well prepared. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced Bad FoodstillhungryDined on 7/5/2014I have been twice before and it was very good. This time I had the special with a TINY bit of pasta, two shrimp and three littlenecks and it was $32!. There were also house flies everywhere. I'm out...Special Features:
- Very delicious mealLvVvDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have enjoyed many meals at this establishment. Our meal this past weekend was very good. The swordfish was so fresh and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDineOutInfrequentlyDined on 6/27/2014All appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts were better than expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmDined on 6/25/2014The setting was spectacular - sitting outside with a nice breeze. The food was okay, but nowhere as good as I had anticipated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodpizzagirlDined on 6/14/2014The homemade pasta is amazing, melt in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zooma's Vibe?ZeekDined on 5/30/2014Enjoy the food - especially mushroom pasta 'pouches' served by friendly staff. Still, consistency to truly stand out is a work in progress. Bar music and TV can detract from sense of upscale dining; recent dinner the music had nothing to do with an Italian restaurant, created a din. Attractive dishes served promptly - but need less salt. Young staff needs more consistent polish addressing mature diners, and lowered voices when engaging adjacent tables. Wine list an adequate selection, though there did not seem to be a particular emphasis - management revenue source to consider? A good meal, fun vibe - but suggest overview to identify, reinforce and execute more consistently on strengths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShelbyVIPDined on 5/24/2014It was graduation day for several RI colleges so it was really mobbed. Lots of big parties so limited seating for two. When called for our table, it was horrible and hostess agreed. She promised better seating if we could wait. WOW she came through. We sat at the little bar that was kitchen side. We watched an amazing team cook and plate perfectly cooked food and all with sincere smiles and no complaining.Special Features:
- Don't go if your a party of 2AnothernightoutDined on 5/24/2014Awful experience...completely ignored for over 2 hours with reservations. Was in the area to see water fire down from Boston...after being here for over 3 hours, we left to find it raining. Never got a table, forced to eat at the bar. Only caters to large parties...avoids couples. Or offers tables they should be embarrassed to even set in the first place. Noise level...VERY LOUD due to large parties. Since this option above only allows good reviews.
- The following 253 reviews are from the Zooma reviews archive.
- Good Bread Pays OfftransplantedBronxiteDined on 5/11/2014I always feel that the best way to get a positive experience started at a restaurant (especially an Italian restaurant) is excellent bread and high grade olive oil. We were all (party of 4) disappointed in the bread; both the texture and the taste. It was run of the mill bland tasting boring bread. Need a hard outer crust and soft interesting inside. Something that says oh yeah we are ready for the coming attractions. I think you are selling yourself short by skimping on bread quality. A high quality loaf is well worth your investment. The rest of the meal was good. Didn't knock our socks off but tasty and pleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendSpecplaceDined on 5/11/2014The food was superb but service slow. Our impression was there weren't enough wait staff for the number of people. We were there at a peak time and on Mother's Day so the place was a bit noisier than usual, BUT, I'd heartily recommend Zooma for dining out - lunch or dinner. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014They were out of 4 pasta dishes at 7:30 that was on they regular menu. The waiter we had forget us just not a good experience
- May I Have Seconds Please?NotAFoodSnobDined on 5/3/2014Everything was great about the place from the staff, to the cleaniness, to the food, the only thing was that the entrees could of been a little larger. I ordered the bolognese and it was probably the size of tell small cans of fancy feast.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing pasta, poor serviceNJveggiefoodieVIPDined on 5/3/2014Went here with my boyfriend for the first time last weekend, and had a mixed but overall positive experience. We had a reservation but still had to wait 15 minutes. It didn't bother us too much because we got seated at the front window, a prime people watching spot. The menu has a big selection of pasta dishes. The pastas are homemade and the food was amazing. But the experience was marred by terrible service. It took 20 minutes for our waiter to come over to take our order, and then after a different person delivered our food, our waiter didn't stop by once to check on us. I understand the restaurant was busy, but they should consider hiring more waitstaff. We weren't in a huge rush, but don't come here if you have somewhere to go after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLvVvDined on 5/3/2014The food was good but the service needs a lot of improvement. When I am served my meal I expect the servers to know where the entree should go. I also do not appreciate someone reaching over me to serve an individual. Bread pudding was not the same!!! They need to stick to the original recipe. The cubes of bread and the lacking of the custard between the bread were a dissapointment.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Our group of six all loved their meals and the service was excellent. This was our third time at Zooma, and not our last!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhillHappilyWellFedVIPDined on 4/27/2014Food was mediocre and loud base music from bar on an early Sunday evening.Special Features:
- Zooma more like "Bang, Zoom."OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014After having heard very good things about this restaurant, my wife and I were looking forward to dining there. We were seated promptly upon arrival, and we no sooner took our seats when our waitress asked if we would like a beverage. We decided to order a bottle of wine, and not a minute later, she was back with water, asking us what wine we had selected and what we wanted to order. Someone was obviously in a rush, and made us feel pressured. The wine was brought, and was quite good, then the appetizers came out immediately thereafter, and prior to our finishing them the entrees arrived. both of which were good, but nothing outstanding. There after the waitress more or less disappeared, then took half an hour to return with the check.Special Features: