800 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zoladc.com/
- Phone: 2026540999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday thru Thrusday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm; Friday thru Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jason Mayle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Zola provides catering for the expansive light-filled Event Spaces of the International Spy Museum.
A word from Zola
Zola's Menu is comprised of bold yet refined dishes served in the picturesque bar and dining areas of Zola restaurant. The menu is innovative yet accessible and features locally sourced meats, fish, and vegetables. Zola’s menus are designed to pair perfectly with the extensive international 500 bottle wine list and 30 wines by the glass. We also offer excellent cocktails and craft beers. This affords the guests the opportunity to mix and match and create their own unique gustatory experience. Sommeliers are available on a daily basis for guided personalized pairings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zola reviews from OpenTable diners
- Whenever we visit DC, we alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2012Whenever we visit DC, we always make a point to dine at Zola at least once. The food, service and ambience are hard to get.Special Features:
- Our 2nd time dining here andEnjoyableVIPDined on 6/26/2012Our 2nd time dining here and enjoyed it again, but found out they were closing as of last night which was quite a surprise.
- what a wonderful experience....tooRizbellDined on 6/26/2012what a wonderful experience....too bad the owners are closing Zola's on Saturday forever.
- I gave this "great for lunch"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2012I gave this "great for lunch" because of how good the business lunch was. It was perfect for me--smoked trout, wild rice, sauted bok choy and delicious bread and a cookie for $20. That said, service was very lacking--my friend was running late and so I went ahead and ordered and my food arrived before my friend did. When she arrived, I flagged down my waiter but he just stared at us and turned and walked away even though it was clear that she wanted to order! Around 5 minutes later we managed to snag a hostess from across the room for my friend to give her order to. Zola has very good food but they need to train their wait staff better--especially when marketing to a business crowd for lunch.Special Features:
- Our first visit. We thoroughlyBethesdaM1keDined on 6/14/2012Our first visit. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner. The desserts were also special.Special Features:
- Best restaurant near Verizon CtrMissMelDined on 6/14/2012Great ambiance and location near the Verizon Center. Love the valet parking option, although be prepared for a wait to get your car again. Delicious food and swanky surroundings. Little busy before a concert/event at Verizon, but will definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Our meals were delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2012Our meals were delicious. The dressing on the salad with blackberries was out of this world.Special Features:
- There early so practicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2012There early so practically no one was in there. Sat for 5 mins and had to flag down a waiter to get attended to. Portions were small and expensive. They're trying too hard to be hip, not enough attention to the basics.
- The menu is varied enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/5/2012The menu is varied enough to please anyone. My guest noted that many menu items are interesting takes on familiar foods -- we really enjoyed our lunch.Special Features:
- I Spy Good FoodB4theaterVIPDined on 6/1/2012Penn Quarter has a lot of good restaurants and Zola is one of them. We had a delicious meal before the theater from the regular menu. The soup of the day was delicious, although almost enough for a meal in itself. The Korean ribs were also very good. The Hawaiian prawns were good, but the mascarpone polenta was the star of that dish. The pineapple cake with coconut ice cream was to die for. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. I didn't want to have any wine, so my companion pordered wine by the glass. Although the Sauvignon Blanc was satisfactory, the limited menu of wines by the glass was a bit disappointing. The dining area is well separated from the bar, so the noise level was completely tolerable. We'll go there again.Special Features:
- superb! i had the bouillabaisseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2012superb! i had the bouillabaisse and my friend had the saffron pasta ... both dishes were excellent ... now my friend and i have added zola to our list of favorite restaurants ...Special Features:
- Had three starters in lieuJohnnyDeeVIPDined on 5/30/2012Had three starters in lieu of an entree. Clams and mussels in saffron sauce with noodles, English peas. Mizuna salad with candied walnuts. Braised pork belly was terrific as was my wife's smoked trout entree. Excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious food, as usual.AlainVIPDined on 5/29/2012Delicious food, as usual. The gazpacho was a bit too spicy, but we enjoyed all the rest.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant. FoodRWL08540VIPDined on 5/26/2012Excellent restaurant. Food is wonderful, service terrific. Ideal location. Hard to beat.Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingTheatergoerVIPDined on 5/26/2012I have been a Zola's customer for many years. The service and ambiance have always been fantastic. The food was less consistent. For the past year Zola's menu and food quality has been consistently outstanding. Now I am can confidently recommend Zola's to anyone.Special Features:
- Had great food here, althoughhenjamesDined on 5/24/2012Had great food here, although my wife's gnocchi was average the rest was excellent Was very quiet, Thursday at 6.30 but the happy hour bar was busySpecial Features:
- I didn't like the menu thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2012I didn't like the menu this time around. Not as many yummy choices. Still a great place and I would go back again.
- excellent customer service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/21/2012excellent customer service. great lunch option for those on the go.Special Features:
- The hostess, Rachel Ehrman-Dupre,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2012The hostess, Rachel Ehrman-Dupre, was wonderful!!!
- Disappointed! Our group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2012Disappointed! Our group of four could was very bummed when our dinners were bad. Both the guys ordered NY Strip and left some on their plates, which is unheard of. My salad was fresh but one slice of strawberry and one crumble of blue cheese did not contribute to make anything I could not have had at home. My cauliflower was cold, but I was hungry so sent it back and ate the next one.
- Nice, Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/19/2012We thought both strawberry soup and gazpacho were winners. I had the lamb which came in a huge prtion, but was presented mostly as a lump. NY Strip was excellent, but nettle with orzo accompanying it was over-salted. After naming the sorbets of the day, we selected blood organge. What arrived tasted like raspberry. We inquired and were told that they didn't have blood orange and, yes, it was raspberry. Just seemed quite a bit odd. Service was very relaxed. A nice meal, not sure we'd hurry back though.
- Menu items were creative andRichDined on 5/18/2012Menu items were creative and well prepared. Really cool dining space. Service was slightly slow and waiter did not seem to be interested in engaging us. Other waiter/waitresses in restaurant did seem to be very friendly with guests. Guess our guy was just having a bad night.Special Features:
- Really loved the hamachi starter!JMaryGVIPDined on 5/18/2012Really loved the hamachi starter! Our other dishes were good too. Service was attentive, but there was some confusion with our order, so we didn't get one side we ordered.
- DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2012I'm not sure if this was a one time occurrence but we arrived at 740 pm. Got our food at 843pm and my Ny Strip was overcooked to the point where the meat was chewy. My wifes chicken was completely dry. I told the waiter we were 2 seconds away from walking out. What a disappointment because the reviews for this place were good. Too Long of a wait. If the food was good it would have been worth it. But it was not. We didn't finish our food and followed up that tragedy with a pit stop to Mickey D's. Gotta love it.
- Lovely service - we spilledAnonymousDined on 5/17/2012Lovely service - we spilled a drink and they moved us swiftly to another table with no fuss - and the strawberry soup was divine. The goat cheese panna cotta on the menu was not available so missed trying that.Special Features:
- A Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2012My wife and I had a delightful experience at Zola. It was only our second time dining there, with the first one being a couple of years ago. We won't wait so long before going back. Our reservation was for 6:30pm on a Tuesday night, so it was not crowded. We were warmly greeted and seated right away. We each had one of the specialty cocktails, hers a virgin Passion Mojito and mine a smoky pineapple-infused Tequila concoction: excellent. For starters, she had the Virginia Strawberry Soup and I had Saffron pasta with mussels and clams. For main courses, she had the semi-boneless quail with fiddle heads and I had the seared NY steak with stinging nettle & oyster mushroom risotto. ALL WAS FANTASTIC!Special Features:
- Dependable and cuteDCDinerDined on 5/12/2012Its a cute restaurant concept, not crazy on weeknights, and with an interesting menu. The bar is very competent. The theme is related to the Spy Museum next door. Oddly the first time I was brought here for lunch, it was by a couple of people spying on me. Delicious irony!Special Features:
- A reliable gem. CreativeStempsterVIPDined on 5/11/2012A reliable gem. Creative food, perfect ambiance with small rooms, tables well spaced. Service is always impeccable. And a great bar.Special Features:
- Excellent small plates, andTangowoodVIPDined on 5/11/2012Excellent small plates, and in fact the saffron mussels and clams pasta could have served as an entree.Special Features:
- Lunch was wonderful. I ateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2012Lunch was wonderful. I ate with 3 girlfriends and we all loved our salmon salad. It was cooked just right with a wonderful flavor. The dressing for the salad was exceptionally good - very light.
- Excellent choice to bringOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2012Excellent choice to bring out of town guests. Accessible and valet was a great help for my guests. Will certainly go there again.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service.TravellerVIPDined on 5/4/2012Wonderful food and service. Our waiter was personable and helpful and attentive without being intrusive. We ate early due to another engagement and it was very quiet, don't know how it would be if full. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Enjoyed dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012Enjoyed dining experience. Food presentation very nice, and portions were good. Restaurant was busy however we were still able to have a conversation, and food was delivered quickly.Special Features:
- Zola is quiet and romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2012Zola is quiet and romantic (at least on a Tuesday night), which is rare find for DC. The waiter, although entertaining, occupied about 50% of our conversation time, so in retrospect I could have picked a louder venue. The meal, despite the exuberant prices, was rather mediocre. The cantaloupe gazpacho soup my date had was entirely too sweet and should have been served as desert. Her lamb seemed to have more fat than meat on it. My crab soup was okay, but the branzino special was nothing special. Served with semi-undercooked corn and peas, it certainly was not worth $30. The desert menu is rather small, and the apple Charlotte we were served tasted like morning yogurt with granola. Save your money.Special Features:
- Celebrated my 60th Birthday!CrbelVIPDined on 4/28/2012Celebrated my 60th Birthday! Great food, we had the best waiter. Lots of fun and great food.Special Features:
- Pretentious and overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012Pretentious and overpriced. It's trying way too hard to be hip. And the food was awful--my fish was barely warmed, much less cooked, and I did not order sashimi. Even the desserts were unsatisfying, and we tried 4 out of 5 on the menu. I understand trying new flavor combinations, but this food is not inventive, it is a science experiment. Try Central Michele Richard. It's in the same area of town, and simply fabulous.
- First time at lunchmuseumguyDined on 4/23/2012Went for lunch with an old friend. It was a very pleasant environment to have a conversation. I had the special apple curry soup and the burger. The flavor of the food was quite good and the presentation was clever, but there was something lacking in substance. The soup was a bit watery, the burger was a little dry...perhaps appropo to the Spy Museum not everything is exactly what it seems. Still, I think it's at least a comparable value to any restaurant in the neighborhood.
- excellent find, would notOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/21/2012excellent find, would not have expected a restaurant "affiliated" with a museum to be of such great quality. Sitting next to the window was a great opportunity to people watch across the street. Great decor, unusual layout, with several smaller rooms makes the entire restaurant more intimate. Excellent layout.Special Features:
- Good food, not foodie specialFoodChickVIPDined on 4/20/2012Great views of F street if you get a table window, nice to people watch. The complimentary bread is not good, the spicy flat bread is. Baked tri-color Cauliflower w/ toasted pine nut dressing, was very delicious. I want that dressing. I had the halibut--what a fabulous tasting piece of fish. It was served with thyme infused, heirloom tomatoes that had a vinaigrette marinade that perfected the tomatoes. I enjoyed my dish very much. My dining companion had a special which was venison. He said was it was cooked perfectly. It was served with roasted brussel sprouts also cooked perfectly, which were served under the venison. Unfortunately, the sauce that was good on the venison did not taste good on the brussel sprouts (I tasted it and agreed)Special Features:
- Service and attention by staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2012Service and attention by staff was fantastic. We first met in the bar and the bartender and staff were very prompt, giving us the attention we wanted. The waiter/server at dinner was very helpful, very professional. Will definately return.