Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook
5000 Northbrook Court
Chicago, IL 60062Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/stores/store.jsp?storeId=09/NB
- Phone: (847) 509-6750
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Lake Cook Road between Skokie Valley Road and Wauk
- Public Transit: PACE busses "Route 213 - Green Bay Road", "Route 626 Skokie Valley Limited", "Route 422 - Linden CTA/Glenview/Northbrook Ct."
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Self-parking is available immediately adjacent to all Neiman Marcus entrances.
A word from Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook
Appetite for excellence. Take lunching to the next level at The Zodiac®, our elegant restaurant at Neiman Marcus Northbrook. Retreat to a fine-dining atmosphere with an innovative menu selection. Taste one of our exquisite seasonal entrée selections or experience the famous Mandarin Orange Soufflé. It's the perfect choice for any special occasion or for turning an ordinary day into something wonderful. Let The Zodiac® host your next Baby or Bridal Shower. We have the perfect atmosphere and menu for you and your guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lovely lunch in a mallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2014If you're shopping, or just looking for a lovely place to lunch, the Zodiac Room at Neiman Marcus is off the beaten path, but perfect. A little pricey, but you're paying for the ambiance and lovely plate service. Consomme and popovers are welcome amuse bouche!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmdbuttercupVIPDined on 11/11/2014We had reservations. Always a good idea. Place was very busy. Noise level was not conversation friendly. Food was good. Lots of great choices. Love the starter of the complimentary soup and popover. Delish!Special Features:
- DinerDined on 11/5/2014Overpriced but the food was good. Perfect for ladies who lunch.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotLuv2dineDined on 11/4/2014It was pretty crowded which was surprising for a Tuesday lunch. Definitely recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good lunchexperiencediningraterDined on 10/31/2014The Zodiac Room is an excellent and unique place to meet for lunch.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable!out2lunchDined on 10/30/2014Delicious food, lots of choices. Especially nice when you're looking for something upscale and a little different. A bit noisy when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dicksDined on 10/11/2014My Sister and I had a wonderful lunch last Saturday the food, service and entire experience was grand.Special Features:
- Great Neiman Marcus ClassicsEdwardVIPDined on 10/4/2014The Zodiac room offers some great Neiman Marcus cookbook items along with an interesting and creative menu. It was the perfect place for lunch.Special Features:
- Shop and dineAndiesDined on 9/27/2014I go to this restaurant with friends when I want to shop and socialize with friends. It's relaxing and usually quiet. There is a calorie list for all the menu items, excepting, perhaps, the chicken stock soup, popovers and strawberry butter that precede ordering.Special Features:
- Very Disappointing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Met a friend for lunch and was totally taken aback with our experience and will not be returning. Our server seemed extremely rushed from the moment we sat down even though the restaurant was more than half empty. We each ordered a salad and when they finally arrived, I noticed that there was a bug in my salad. When I pointed it out to the server, there was absolutely NO apology made and he actually had the nerve to look upset that he had to bring out another salad. At the very least he should have comped us the salad and offered us a sincere apology. He also never bothered to ask us if we would like anything further after our meals i.e. coffee, desert, just placed our check down and took off.
- Great place for lunchKattVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great For a ladies lunch! Nice atmosphere, good food and great service. The popovers and broth are awesome. It is always nice to shop after!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Disappointed that Hostess did not honor our request for a table by the window, she said nothing about it when it was mentioned and appeared surprised about it, offered no apology or explanation. The lunch was for a special occasion, this slightly spoiled it. More disappointing as we eat there often. Otherwise an okay spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jericooksDined on 9/3/2014Our grilled shrimp salad was very good - our waiter was not. He was overly friendly but not attentive at all. My friend ordered hot tea, he brought iced. He was not attentive in refilling our coffee cups. Even though I mentioned when I made the online reservation that it was my friend's birthday, it was not acknowledged at all. I even mentioned it to the hostess when I arrived. For the prices they charge, I expect better service.Special Features:
- Average dining for the price185daysDined on 8/19/2014This is our "back to school" lunch spot. This year I (finally?) noticed that the menu is fair, at best, but the prices are way above average. The service is great and the popovers are still wonderful. But we spent over $50.00 for a soup/sandwich combo and a salad. No alcohol! The chicken salad was bland and tasteless. The shrimp salad featured reheated shrimp with typical greens- really nothing special for the price. We lunched a little later in the afternoon and they were out of all the desserts except one! I guess that is ok or we would have had a $75 tab instead. I guess it is time to look elsewhere for our lunch next year.Special Features:
- YiayiaEleniDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance was great for our small gathering. The menu selections were great, there was something for everyone. The food was excellent. The service was great, our server was very attentive and helpful. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Zodiac at Neiman Marcus - Northbrook reviews archive.
- ladies lunchthewolfDined on 7/10/2014You can count on Zodiac's consistent quality and service. White table cloths and flowers plus the revered popovers and strawberry butter make it a favorite for lunch birthday celebrations. The salads are carefully crafted and substantial.Special Features:
- Lunch at Zodiac roommsr61Dined on 6/30/2014Lovely quiet lunch. It was my friend's birthday and I arrived early to make her dessert a surprise. Of course they forgot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentashievicDined on 6/26/2014The food, service, everything was super!!! The cocktails were great, the entree was outstanding. Delightful place to have a lunch with your girlfriends.Special Features:
- for Ladies Who LunchyummyDined on 6/20/2014Great spot for a special birthday or other celebration. With a reservation, a table was ready for us, but imagine you could get a table without one. The popovers are to die for. Crave them!Special Features:
- marvDined on 6/20/2014Glad they still have those delicious popovers with the strawberry butter. Everything was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- metooVIPDined on 6/19/2014Went here to celebrate a birthday lunch. We were 7 diners. The service was very nice due to a lovely waitress. The birthday girl received a complimentary dessert. Very Nice time!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014I t was excellent. There were no problems with anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchcudgelVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food was very fresh and tasty. The restaurant gave us a wonderful dessert. The service was a bit slow--seemed like waiter had too big an area to cover and I needed to get his attention several times to take the order, give us the cup of soup, etc. He was overwhelmed but very pleasant.Special Features:
- IgnoredIgnoredDined on 5/11/2014We waited 30 minutes just to get a glass of water after asking several servers. We were pretty much ignored the entire time which is pretty hard to do as my guest was seated in a wheelchair. Our salads were wilted and warm, fresher at Panera.
- disappointingOnalarkVIPDined on 5/11/2014I had heard this was a nice place for a "ladies lunch" so I booked a table for two on Mother's Day. I hate to say it but it was disapointing. My mom had a live worm on her bread plate when she first sat down. The service was incredibly slow and not that good. The salads we ordered were just okay. The only really good part was the popover bread they served when you sat down. That was yummy. The room was very nice but the food/service did not live up to what I had expected. I would go somewhere else next time.
- Special OccasionDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 5/7/2014I took my daughter here when she got home from college as something upscale and a nicer environment than Panera or Corner Bakery. She was so impressed and loved the food and experience. We shared a hot lava cake with peanut butter ice cream for dessert and the whole experience was very nice. Great for a Girls' Lunch when you want something nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie2enjoyVIPDined on 5/5/2014Our service lagged a bit but the food was tasty and we loved the popovers and the chicken broth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once was enoughFlummoxedDined on 5/2/2014I brought my mother here for her birthday. I have never been and will not go back. The food was a big disappointment. The broth tasted like flavored dishwater. The gelatinous mandarin orange dish that came with the chicken salad was disgusting. I will, however, say that the popovers and strawberry butter were good. All in all it was an expensive, unpleasant luncheon experience.
- Ladies lunchingChcgodinerDined on 4/25/2014Glad we had a reservation. Would have been nice if the hostess read it and had wished my guest a Happy Birthday, the Special Note I'd included in my reservation. My guest's Portobello Sandwich was delicious and beautiful. My $15 Tuna Pecan was the driest and least memorable sandwich I've ever had. The fruit salad portion was smaller than an airplane meal portion. To cap it off, the waiter removed my partially-eaten popover without asking if I was finished, which I wasn't. Nice ambiance but I would not return.
- Great Special Girls' LunchDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 4/17/2014I take my friend every year for her birthday and we each look forward to it. Fancy healthy salads, a nice ladies' environment and special treatment. I highly recommend lunch here for a special event.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Outluv2dineDined on 4/12/2014Took my teenage daughters here. They loved the popovers and the tea cups of chicken broth. We celebrate special occasions here every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, LovelymdbuttercupVIPDined on 4/1/2014Great spot in the northern burbs. Lunch begins with a teeny teacup of chicken soup along with a roll/brioche that is outstanding, Don't fill up on these things as you won't have room for lunch. We both had fabulous salads. Prices are comparable to any other upscale restaurant. Service was stellar. We asked for separate checks, which wasn't a problem. Didn't have dessert but we received a fine piece of chocolate candy. What a yummy way to end lunch.Special Features:
- I'll Have What Mary Tyler Moore HadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014A great surprise. In the film "Ordinary People" Mary Tyler Moore and Donald Sutherland have lunch here at the Northbrook Zodiac. Pepe, our server was entertainingly top notch and right out of "central casting". The food was quality and well prepared from the chicken broth to the gift wrapped chocolate mint. No wonder Robert Redford choose to film at the Zodiac where all signs are good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcus Missing the MarkLunchingladyDined on 3/21/2014I typically don't write negative experiences but I felt I needed to after this. Especially when I have had the same experience previously. The good news is that I absolutely love the ambience of the room and staff. It is perfect for lunching but the food is so below par compared to the shopping experience at Neiman Marcus, it was very disappointing. A simple grilled cheese sandwich was tasteless and uneatable for $15.00. The side chicken tortilla soup was boring and flavorless however the very small side salad was delicious. After this experience I feel they need a complete overall on the menu and I think purchase better quality food in general. Maybe it's time for a new chef Neiman Marcus and a new menu with a few organic choices added.Special Features:
- Lovely for LadiesMammasanDined on 3/15/2014We were a group of 6 l celebrating a birthday. It's a very quiet, elegant atmosphere and a special place for a ladies' celebration. The food is very good and the presentation was very nice. The service was excellent and we were not rushed. The table was waiting for arrival and we appreciate that as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies lunch spotKardladyDined on 3/14/2014Great spot to meet a friend or celebrate with a few. Would not take children or men.Special Features:
- for ladies who lunchLkc1Dined on 3/7/2014a little pricey for what u get, but worth it because of atmosphere and level of service. perfect luncheon outing for feeling of being special.Special Features:
- Dependably good for a ladies' lunchSmileyDined on 3/4/2014My longtime friend and I chose this spot for a birthday lunch. As always, the service and food were excellent. The popovers and strawberry butter are a favorite, as is the Mandarin Souffle. We chose the carrot cake for dessert - it was excellent! We're always made to feel 'special' when dining at the Zodiac Room :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good servicechgomomX2VIPDined on 3/2/2014We went there as for a last minute lunch w/our two children - they LOVE the chicken consume and the pop overs. I ordered soup and a salad. The soup, pasta fagioli was not good - it was more like chili and not at all the Italian favorite. Note to self - don't get an Italian specialty at something other than an Italian restaurant. Our server was great though - great w/the kids too.Special Features:
- Elegant, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My grandparents have been taking me to the Zodiac Room inside Neiman Marcus since I was a kid. It's a North Shore secret. Now I go there at times to meet up for a business lunch or an upscale lunch with a friend. They still have Neiman Marcus models walk around sometimes to show off the clothes, which is kind of fun if the model has a good personality, otherwise it's kind of awkward. Still great food though - it's complimentary gigantic popovers and brown sugar butter are its signature items, they come at the start of every meal, as well as a shot glass of warm broth for sipping. Menu is simple and limited, and the presentation is beautiful. I recommend the encrusted chicken with greens and vegetables. Chicken salad is also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.