1801 Capitol Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
Regional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalosacramento.com/
- Phone: 9164410303
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11 am - 11 pm Friday: 11 am - 12 am Saturday: 9 am - 12 am Sunday: 9 am - 10 pm Lunch starts at 11 am daily Dinner starts at 4 pm daily Weekend Brunch: 9 am - 3 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ryan Rose
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We offer an extensive tequila and wine list including some of the area's best wines & Mexico's finest ultra premium tequilas. You can also relax and enjoy our world-class cocktails surrounded by palm trees and the many custom, magnificently designed pieces of art authentic to Mexico. The latest in Latin music can be heard flowing through the air daily. On special occasions we feature live mariachi, salsa & samba music. Featuring some of the most creative Mexican cuisine and a bar longer than Baja, Zocalo is the perfect place to wet your whistle or to whet your appetite.
- Cross Street: 18th Street
- Public Transit: 6 blocks away from Light Rail Station on 16th Street and R Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking available on Capitol Avenue (westbound) $5: Lunch or Dinner Public Parking available at 17th Street and L Street (between Capitol & L St) $2: Evenings: 4 pm - 6 am / Weekends: All Day
A word from Zocalo Restaurant
Housed in the handsomely renovated Arnold Brothers Building-built for a Hudson car dealership in the 1920’s, Zocalo is located on the corner of 18th Street and Capitol Avenue right in the heart of Midtown’s Handle District. Zocalo is Regional Mexican at its best! Inspired by the majestic town square of Mexico City, Zocalo boldly casts a contemporary eye towards a distinguished future while subtly hinting of its proud heritage. For hundreds of years, Zocalo has been the center of political and social gatherings in Mexico. Offering a stylish yet substantial spot that embraces that spirit, this Zocalo is destined to live up to its heritage. Zocalo’ atmosphere is one of lively spirit, a comfortable place to enjoy lunch with a client, cocktails after work, or dinner with friends and family. Enjoy Zocalos relaxed setting, incomparable service, and superbly prepared food that together offer a delightful experience of grand proportions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great place to eat... FinallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012Great place to eat... Finally found a great authentic upscale mexican restaurant. Kids loved it, great kids menu, includes bev & dessert! We will be back again with Family and friends. Thanks Zocalo for the great service and food!!!Special Features:
- Always bring my out of townPGvisitorDined on 10/28/2012Always bring my out of town guests to Zocalo's. Once again, they were wowed. They loved the mid-town vibe, the "feel" of Zocalo's, the excellent brunch menu, and great Bloody Marys. This time Zocalo completely pulled back the floor-to-ceiling windows so inside diners were one with patio diners. Perfect at 10 AM in October. My guests wanted to move to Sacramento when done eating!Special Features:
- For good food and fun.luv2eatVIPDined on 10/20/2012The place is filled with high energy, good food, great margaritas, and wonderful staff.Special Features:
- I'm Mexican and for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012I'm Mexican and for the first time a found a placeWith authentic gourmet Mexican food excellentGreat service and very good foodSpecial Features:
- The lunch menu is dull comparedMartiVIPDined on 10/19/2012The lunch menu is dull compared to the dinner menu. Not sure I will return for lunch.Special Features:
- The four of us ate outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012The four of us ate outside and each person had a great meal. The waiter was superb and we would definitely eat there again.Special Features:
- The website advertised a threeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The website advertised a three course meal during Sacramento Restaurant Week for $15. I also called to confirm the price several days before the reservation. I was disappointed to find out from our server that the price had been misadvertised and was actually $30. Semmed conspicuously misleading and will not be forgotten.Special Features:
- Food is excellent and drinkMandyDined on 9/29/2012Food is excellent and drink are even better. Try the sangria or blueberry margarita, yum! So glad they have veg options and outdoor seatings is real nice.Special Features:
- Food is good with some thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2012Food is good with some things amazing and other things being fairly bland. Likely just my taste but the salsa was very mild and my spicy dish wasn't. Service was amazing as well as the margaritas. The place was amazingly decorated but the high ceilings made it sound more like a bar. Look for happy hour prices and bring $5 for the valet out front or park a few blocks away.
- The food wasn't as good aseatwellDined on 9/9/2012The food wasn't as good as I remembered. I had 3 enchiladas, each with a different sauce, but they were on the dry side. I don't like to see the retail price of a bottle of wine tripled, either. Doubling is enough, in my opinion. The inside was very noisy, so we chose to eat outside inasmuch as the weather was fine. But it is a beautiful restaurant and the service is prompt and friendly. Next time I'll order a different dish.Special Features:
- The space and decor were verybikebakerDined on 9/8/2012The space and decor were very nice. The wait staff was on top of filling ice water to replenishing the salsa and black bean dip, without being overbearing plus they all looked like they enjoyed working there. Chips were fresh and not too salty. We were traditionalist and ordered a burrito and tacos and they were excellent! We'll be back again.Special Features:
- We were so excited to findOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/2/2012We were so excited to find such a fabulous Mexican restaurant when visiting the city. The restaurant had a buzz going - we definitely felt like we were having a special night out. Service was excellent, margarita's were divine, food was delicious - especially the mole. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Tequila KingGustavoDined on 9/2/2012Awesome help with our party tasting excellent tequilas! Very knowledgeable staff. Food wonderful.Special Features:
- trendy in a good way & great flavorNYCloverDined on 9/2/2012Trendy and fun, but also has a sophisticated tone to it. Intersting menu, great flavors. Reminds me of Reposado in Pala Alto. Will definitely go back! And as an aside, the chips are perfect - warm and delicious!Special Features:
- First Time is a CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012My husband, two children, and I had visited Zocalo's this past Sunday; it was our first time. We were seated immediately and served water, chips, salsa, and a black bean dip. The restaurant was beautiful; it had the most amazingly open & light feel to it. The huge, beautiful windows are spectacular. The staff was very courteous. Our waiter helped me to understand the (dinner) menu and to decide on my first meal there. I was torn between two of the enchilada plates and after receiving his advice, I went with a little of both. Hands down, they were the best enchiladas (and quite possibly the best food) that I had ever tasted: En Mole and Guanajuato. My husband ordered the Tres Tacos with carnitas, and they were so good. Five stars!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great ambiance, food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012Great ambiance, food and service. A little too noisey, Had a hard time talking with the family. Soft drinks were flat and the house wines were were not very good neither the reds or whites. Was part of an early dinner crowd and it got busier as we left. Great place to meet if you can find a parking place.Special Features:
- Very good service. But foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012Very good service. But food was too expensive. Too loud inside to have a meal and a conversation.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012Outdoor dining was terrible due to the flys. Other restaurants in the area offered outdoor dining and they seemed to have no flys. I suggest fans. The flys were terrible, it pretty much ruined the experience.Special Features:
- Two of us went for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2012Two of us went for lunch. Service was prompt and attentive. Valet parking is available and essential. Both of us had enchiladas with different sauces and were very pleased with the dishes. Ambiance was quite pleasant; good for conversation. Definitely will go back and look forward to it.Special Features:
- This place can get reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2012This place can get really loud on weekend nights... We went for brunch and it wasn't as loud as the evenings we had been beforeSpecial Features:
- We ended up ordering fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2012We ended up ordering from the regular menu.The food and service were very good, several levels above the typical Mexican restaurant. The sauces were very flavorable with just the right amount of "heat."
- FabulousTableofsixDined on 8/5/2012Fab food, great fish tacos, fantatic ambiance...I'll go back!Special Features:
- this is the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012this is the second time I have been to Zocalo..........the food yummy, service & staff..outstanding....a pitcher of MAGARITA"S what ever the top shelf brand was $$ worth every penny......the waiter we had was attentive but not over bearing very informative about the brands of Tequila they carry.....and I'm picky and passionate about the stuff...I will go back to Zocalo again and again and again....did I mention the pitcher of margarita's?????Special Features:
- Fun, upscale Mexican restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2012Fun, upscale Mexican restaurant in midtown Sac. The food is good with its own Mexican flair, adding uniqueness and character. I've been there for drinks and a couple times for dinner. Always good with great ambience. I will go again.Special Features:
- SusanSusanDined on 7/27/2012We dined outside to have a quieter table and it was perfect. The food was great. We had an order of guacamole to go with the chips served, fish tacos and skirt steak. Everything was delicious. The server was attentive and professional. The food was the most sophisticated Mexican food we have had in Sacramento.Special Features:
- Not as good as usual. ServicefrekwentdinerVIPDined on 7/27/2012Not as good as usual. Service was slow and inattentive.
- This was my second time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012This was my second time dining at this restaurant and it was even better than the first. Great food!
- Had an enjoyable dinner overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2012Had an enjoyable dinner overall. Unfortunately the restaurant was very noisy at 7pm on a Monday evening and found myself yelling across the table to be heard. Our waiter was very good when we could get his attention but unfortunately he was too busy to give us the service we were expecting. We had to ask the hostess to get him more than once. The food was tasty enough though that we will be back.Special Features:
- Great!keatsDined on 7/8/2012Delicious food and great service. Blackberry margarita was delicious. We'll definitely go back and recommend to friends. Very comfortable seating and beautiful interior.Special Features:
- I live out of the area soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012I live out of the area so I don't eat in Sacramento often....but the 3 times I've been to Zocalo, I've enjoyed it.Special Features:
- The restaurant was good, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2012The restaurant was good, the pork shoulder was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Great food, great cocktails.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2012Great food, great cocktails. A must for midtown diners.
- Loved the inside of the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2012Loved the inside of the restaurant. Most of the service was good except the fact that our waiter was not knowledgeable about the dishes. She told us the tortilla soup was not spicy at all so we ordered it for the kids. When the soup came, my kids refused to eat it and it was even spicy for adults. Overall however, we enjoyed our meal. It was very authentic mexican food.Special Features:
- Wait staff was great, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2012Wait staff was great, and the food was really good. It was a little slow getting our orders in but it was busy that night. Atmosphere was top-notch. Would definitely recommend and go again.Special Features:
- Horrible Father's Day ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/17/2012We have eaten at Zocalo several times and always really liked it. We had a horrible experience this time. It was Father's Day, and it was packed. We had to wait 20 minutes for our RESERVED table, and there is no place to properly wait--just a crowded doorway and a very loud mariachi band that practically deafened us as we stood uncomfortably waiting for our RESERVED table. They apparently assumed people would eat outside on the patio, but it was well over 100 degrees and no one wanted to go out there--thus the crowd and the wait. They should read the weather report and adjust! They clearly overbooked. Also the food was mediocre and the service was spotty. Very disappointing.
- Very loud and they overchargedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012Very loud and they overcharged us on each person's meal.
- Very attentive and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2012Very attentive and friendly wait staff! Lovely outdoor dining too!Special Features:
- this is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012this is one of our favorite places to dine! Made sure to book our reservations before we saw wicked because this place sets the mood for a fun night out on the town!Special Features:
- Fun, Affordable, Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2012One of the 10 best reasons to go downtown and the other 9 don't count. The staff are attentive, knowledgeable, sincere, and well mannered. The food is simply a delight to look at and the taste is fresh and clean and exciting. Outdoor seating is plentiful, as is the indoor area. The bar is very nicely done and the bar experts are top notch. It is very affordable, especially when you consider the high quality food, beverages and server staff.Special Features:
- This was at least our fifthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2012This was at least our fifth time there and it has been wonderful each time. I recommended it to the friends who dined with us.Special Features: